• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
according to the small print, in order to receive the $200 bonus:
-Open a new Total Checking account, which is subject to approval
-Deposit $100 or more within 60 days of account opening.
-AND have your direct deposit made to this account within 60 days of account opening. The bonus cannot be used as the opening deposit. Your direct deposit need to be an electronic deposit of your paycheck, pension or government benefits (such as Social Security) from your employer or the government.

Does anyone know how much the direct deposit needs to be and how long the Direct Deposit needs to link to the account??

I know that in order to avoid the monthly fee
I need to have $1500 OR $500 Direct Deposit
But I already have +$1500 in my account.

I currently work at school and they are in the summer holiday now, I've no way to set that up for now. Plus the Direct deposit sometimes less that $500 as DOE delay the paycheck sometimes.
Can I just arrange a $100 Direct Deposit into my account from intuit.com or others and remove it a month later?? Will that I still receive the bonus? Can anyone help?

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:

nope

In my experience, you can just do a single ACH transfer from an account at another bank and Chase will count it as a direct deposit. I usually do at least $200-$300 for my "direct deposit" but I don't think there is any known threshold. Usually the bonus will credit after the first direct deposit, so you don't have to do it again or even keep the money in the account. Just keep your $1500 to avoid the service fee and leave it open for 6 months before you close.

Usually the terms of the offer demand a $500 direct deposit.
A couple of years ago I fulfilled it with an ACH push from ING.
Last year they didn't treat my ING push as a DD.

YMMV. Chase is trying to capture primary customer checking account relationship in which the depositor deposits his/her main source of income from employment or retirement in "their bank" and will try to cross-sell other services. If already opened, try the ACH push or ask your "personal banker" who may or may not be helpful. Chase pays always when, and if, all terms are met.

This is addressed in several other forum threads, if you do a properly refined search for obvious terms like 'chase' or 'ACH', so here's a short answer:
Keep $1501+ in every day of the month, and Chase will not charge you a fee.

If you cannot keep this much, push $501+ from a different bank account like Ally, and you will not get charged a fee (check other threads). You don't have to leave the money there, it can be pulled from the other bank or pushed by Chase.

I believe you have 60 days from account opening to establish a 'direct deposit' but basically that just means push money in from another account within two months; this other account will not secure the bonus if Chase refuses to recognize the sending back as a DD (example Cap360). While Cap360/ING does not qualify as an initial DD for chase, but it probably does count to stave off monthly fees.

The account needs to be open 6+ months or you will lose your bonus at account closing (as described in the terms/conditions when you opened the account).

I have churned Chase's checking bonuses multiple times, so I'm pretty sure how to play the Chase game in this respect. However, you probably should do a little more thread reading (homework) while you're off for holiday to ensure this is entirely correct.

ken62310 said:   according to the small print, in order to receive the $200 bonus:
-Open a new Total Checking account, which is subject to approval
-Deposit $100 or more within 60 days of account opening.
-AND have your direct deposit made to this account within 60 days of account opening. The bonus cannot be used as the opening deposit. Your direct deposit need to be an electronic deposit of your paycheck, pension or government benefits (such as Social Security) from your employer or the government.

Does anyone know how much the direct deposit needs to be and how long the Direct Deposit needs to link to the account??

I know that in order to avoid the monthly fee
I need to have $1500 OR $500 Direct Deposit
But I already have +$1500 in my account.

I currently work at school and they are in the summer holiday now, I've no way to set that up for now. Plus the Direct deposit sometimes less that $500 as DOE delay the paycheck sometimes.
Can I just arrange a $100 Direct Deposit into my account from intuit.com or others and remove it a month later?? Will that I still receive the bonus? Can anyone help?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014