Paypal Wants to Divorce Me

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Anyone remember those $15 FAR mobile card readers that Staples was selling?
You could get 3 rebates per paypal account...each for $15.

I purchased 12 total from Staples in 3 different transactions. This was back in February.
Redeemed 3 rebates per each of mine and the wife's 2 accounts (premier and personal). All of this was within the legal terms of the rebate, which stated 3 per eBay account, not 3 per person or household.

Today, received notice via email that accounts are 'limited'.
Called up, and the 1st rep. said they couldn't discuss and had to transfer to another dept.
2nd rep. said it was indeed the purchase of the readers that caused the limitation on the accounts. He claimed it was viewed as too much risk and that Paypal did not want to continue our romance and I should find another provider. I told him I wasn't satisfied with that answer and asked to be escalated. He got a 'supervisor' to continue the call.

The supervisor was nice, and asked what other questions I had. I asked why I was being shutdown over a rebate that I was legally entitled to receive. She asked why I had purchased so many readers and had not used any of them...and that they viewed it as too risky, since they did not know where the readers were or how they were being used. She seemed sympathetic, but she said the company just doesn't want to do business with me anymore. I told her that seemed very short-sighted over 12 $15 rebates that I was entitled to receive. She seemed to be willing to get a reconsideration for me.....put me on hold for 5 mins or so. When she came back, she said the person she needed to talk to wasn't available, but they would be in the morning. She took my number and said she would call back, but she couldn't guarantee anything.

It doesn't really bother me if they keep me closed....I can survive without paypal. But it does bother me that they are attempting to close me and treating me like I did something illegal or against their terms.

If she can't help me when she calls back, I will be sending a letter to the headquarters in CA to plead my case.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Gets more substantial when you do it 10 times.

billrubin (Jul. 31, 2013 @ 10:53a) |

I've seen it and I haven't been screwed by PayPal. So you can no longer honestly make that statement.

curtster (Jul. 31, 2013 @ 8:21p) |

I think if enough people(FW?) got together to organize a paypal holiday (no paypal transactions) it might send a message... (more)

AcidSpectrum (Aug. 07, 2013 @ 2:24a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Don't beg and plead. Walk away happy. It was a broken marriage from the start.

I did 6 of those rebates, no issues so far.

You abused the rebates, they called you on it.

I bet this will be another "Paypal sucks" thread. Now, back to the topic, I highly doubt if you can convince the dbags in paypal to consider otherwise; unless they make enough money off of you.

They can shut you down for whatever they deem is "too much risk." Just like a credit card issuer can. This reminds me of that thread about the guy having all of his Citi Cards shut down. Whether YOU think it's right or wrong, it doesn't matter. Read the terms and conditions from when you opened your paypal accounts(s).

EradicateSpam said:   You abused the rebates, they called you on it.

I abused them by purchasing and redeeming the max allowed? Interesting.

BeanTech said:   EradicateSpam said:   You abused the rebates, they called you on it.

I abused them by purchasing and redeeming the max allowed? Interesting.

Maybe it was a sting operation, and you fell into the trap.

jaytrader said:   They can shut you down for whatever they deem is "too much risk." Just like a credit card issuer can. This reminds me of that thread about the guy having all of his Citi Cards shut down. Whether YOU think it's right or wrong, it doesn't matter. Read the terms and conditions from when you opened your paypal accounts(s).

Yes, I'm aware they have that right. I'm still going to complain though....even if it doesn't do any good.

BeanTech said:   jaytrader said:   They can shut you down for whatever they deem is "too much risk." Just like a credit card issuer can. This reminds me of that thread about the guy having all of his Citi Cards shut down. Whether YOU think it's right or wrong, it doesn't matter. Read the terms and conditions from when you opened your paypal accounts(s).

Yes, I'm aware they have that right. I'm still going to complain though....even if it doesn't do any good.

So you're one of THOSE guys, eh? Thanks for the tip. Your quoted post speaks volumes.

jaytrader said:   BeanTech said:   jaytrader said:   They can shut you down for whatever they deem is "too much risk." Just like a credit card issuer can. This reminds me of that thread about the guy having all of his Citi Cards shut down. Whether YOU think it's right or wrong, it doesn't matter. Read the terms and conditions from when you opened your paypal accounts(s).

So you're one of THOSE guys, eh? Thanks for the tip. Your quoted post speaks volumes.

What guys would those be? I'm not allowed to disagree with their decision and ask them why they are closing me for participating in a rebate they sponsored?

I didn't post this looking for help or sympathy. I just knew that other FWers had done the same deal and might have the same results.

www.aboutpaypal.org
www.paypalwarning.com
www.paypalsucks.com

EVERYONE SHOULD FIND OUT HOW PAYPAL REALLY WORKS

BeanTech said:   jaytrader said:   BeanTech said:   jaytrader said:   They can shut you down for whatever they deem is "too much risk." Just like a credit card issuer can. This reminds me of that thread about the guy having all of his Citi Cards shut down. Whether YOU think it's right or wrong, it doesn't matter. Read the terms and conditions from when you opened your paypal accounts(s).

What guys would those be? I'm not allowed to disagree with their decision and ask them why they are closing me for participating in a rebate they sponsored?

I didn't post this looking for help or sympathy. I just knew that other FWers had done the same deal and might have the same results.

The limit was 3, you did 12. Where do you not see the disconnect?

I hate people to abuse the system and then complain when it breaks.

And ruins it for people not out to 'scam' anyone, just get a 'fair' deal.

People wonder, 'Why can't we have nice things?'....

technoboy said:   The limit was 3, you did 12. Where do you not see the disconnect? I hate people to abuse the system and then complain when it breaks. And ruins it for people not out to 'scam' anyone, just get a 'fair' deal.

No. The limit was 3 per paypal account. We have 4 paypal accounts that are legitimate per paypal's own terms. I see no disconnect there.

It isn't the rebate that they are dumping you for.

The readers are a paypal product. http://www.staples.com/PayPal-Credit-Card-Reader-for-Tablets-and...
One household grabbing 12 credit card readers, then not using any of them, would certainly make me suspicious if I were paypal. You obviously did not have a good answer when they asked why, ie. we are still setting up our business that will use them, waiting on a loan, etc.

This really was not a good free after rebate product given the nature of the product.

Good point chibimike!

I got mine for free when it the PayPal Here thing first started...didn't have to do any rebate, etc. I haven't once used it, but I had planned on it. I think it's useless, honestly. I'd much rather use Square. PayPal is going for a copycat thing, and their invoicing is horrible.

If there were ever a time for a divorce party, this would be it

No prenup = no profit

You still haven't said why do you need 12? You could offer paypal to mail most of them back.

There should be a law against this practice that paypal is doing. Its a form of discrimination, just gotta figure out which kind, heh... (In my case I lost a business that could have made me $100k within a couple of months). But there are ways around their ban, its just a matter of having some balls to actually do it. I didn't need to though, because my business was a short term opportunity and now I have the wifeys account. Ohh and I eventually opened a new account on my name and only use it to buy stuff, they haven't closed it, they will only close it if I sell stuff...

BeanTech said:   It doesn't really bother me if they keep me closed....I can survive without paypal.

Not if you do much business on eBay.

BeanTech said:   If she can't help me when she calls back, I will be sending a letter to the headquarters in CA to plead my case.

Now THAT smacks of desperation and shows that it DOES really bother you.

BeanTech said:   technoboy said:   The limit was 3, you did 12. Where do you not see the disconnect? I hate people to abuse the system and then complain when it breaks. And ruins it for people not out to 'scam' anyone, just get a 'fair' deal.

No. The limit was 3 per paypal account. We have 4 paypal accounts that are legitimate per paypal's own terms. I see no disconnect there.
Let's see, Paypal allowed for 3 per account because there may actually be some people who legitimately needed 3 readers.

You decided to get cute and use multiple accounts to get 12 of them for free (or more likely you made a profit).

You provided no reason for why you wanted 12 (other than because you could) and you stated you haven't used any of them.

Gee, I can't imagine why Paypal doesn't want to do business with you anymore. The indignation you display is remarkable.

AcidSpectrum said:   You still haven't said why do you need 12? You could offer paypal to mail most of them back.
He didn't need any -- just wanted the 5X points he got (he didn't say this, but it's obvious),

Paypal is so strict my account was also closed months ago :/ errrr

olvrtw said:   There should be a law against this practice that paypal is doing. Its a form of discrimination, just gotta figure out which kind, heh... (In my case I lost a business that could have made me $100k within a couple of months). But there are ways around their ban, its just a matter of having some balls to actually do it. I didn't need to though, because my business was a short term opportunity and now I have the wifeys account. Ohh and I eventually opened a new account on my name and only use it to buy stuff, they haven't closed it, they will only close it if I sell stuff...

#bsalert

winter said:   Let's see, Paypal allowed for 3 per account because there may actually be some people who legitimately needed 3 readers.

You decided to get cute and use multiple accounts to get 12 of them for free (or more likely you made a profit).

You provided no reason for why you wanted 12 (other than because you could) and you stated you haven't used any of them.

Gee, I can't imagine why Paypal doesn't want to do business with you anymore. The indignation you display is remarkable.
Has nobody here ever done a CA or Trend Micro Internet Security rebate?

People actually install that crap on their computers?

Not sure why everyone is jumping on OP. If you don't want to give people rebates, don't offer a $15 limit 3/acct rebate.

Its purely them getting rid of unprofitable customers, which is fine, if they didn't bullshit people and ask why they bought X readers and call it too "risky" etc, making people like OP and myself the bad guys.

Paypal is a horrible company and I'm going to ride it until it bucks me, which is their prerogative.

stanolshefski said:   AcidSpectrum said:   You still haven't said why do you need 12? You could offer paypal to mail most of them back.
He didn't need any -- just wanted the 5X points he got (he didn't say this, but it's obvious),

BTW the actual reason why a ton of FW'ers bought 6/12/whatever is because we are Staples heavy hitters, and had hundreds of dollars in Staples rewards to burn, and this was/is an easy way to turn a store credit into cash.

jd2010 said:   stanolshefski said:   AcidSpectrum said:   You still haven't said why do you need 12? You could offer paypal to mail most of them back.

BTW the actual reason why a ton of FW'ers bought 6/12/whatever is because we are Staples heavy hitters, and had hundreds of dollars in Staples rewards to burn, and this was/is an easy way to turn a store credit into cash.

Yes, and got busted. Now whining.

vagrants said:   Yes, and got busted. Now whining.Got "busted" buying a bunch of FAR items, following their terms & conditions? Okay.

I suggest the OP drop it simply because the potential gain isn't worth his time; however, the "deal" itself is a very, very small-scale version of the types of things most people on FWF attempt to do. I don't see what the big (negative) deal is.

the FAR readers promo still on?

vickh said:   the FAR readers promo still on?

I googled "FAR readers" and still don't know what they are.

atikovi said:   vickh said:   the FAR readers promo still on?I googled "FAR readers" and still don't know what they are.LINK

That's pretty cool. I can understand why Paypal would be suspicious if someone bought 12 of these with all the credit card fraud going on these days.

AcidSpectrum said:   You still haven't said why do you need 12? You could offer paypal to mail most of them back.

That is exactly what I offered to the supervisor when she mentioned they felt that it was too much risk for them.
I told her all 12 were still in my possession and I had the receipts. I didn't give a story about needing them for my business, but simply told her "Look, I purchased these because they were FAR. I buy FAR stuff all the time from Staples to monetize my rewards checks and either give it away or sell it later." She then told me she knew all about Staples rewards, as she was also a Premier member and maxes out her ink recycling each month...which I thought was kinda funny, but in the end, I guess it played to my benefit as she was able to relate to what I was doing.

Anyways...she called me back last night, as promised, and said she could reinstate my account if I shipped back the ones I didn't need. She asked how many I might use later and I said two at the most. So we agreed I would send 10 back to the address she emailed me (in Utah) and my account would be reinstated when she received them. She also said that the escalations person she spoke to 'recommended' that I close 1 each of the extra accounts. As I never really used those much anyway, I agreed to do so.

I will give her high marks for handling the issue with professionalism and actually listening to my case. I was polite about it and she was the same in responding to me.
Those of you claiming I somehow 'got cute' or 'got busted' with the rebates...well, we will just have to agree to disagree. This was just one of countless FAR items I have purchased to monetize my Staples rewards each month. Rebate limits of 10 copies of Kaspersky or TrendMicro software used to be quite common, and I purchased the max of those as well, with no intention of using the software. The last I checked, there is no stipulation that you must actually use the product for the rebate to be valid.

atohmc said:   vagrants said:   Yes, and got busted. Now whining.Got "busted" buying a bunch of FAR items, following their terms & conditions? Okay.

I suggest the OP drop it simply because the potential gain isn't worth his time; however, the "deal" itself is a very, very small-scale version of the types of things most people on FWF attempt to do. I don't see what the big (negative) deal is.

Keep arguing, but your opinion really doesn't matter since you are not the one who decides who gets the cut. Please, buy 12 PP here readers yourself and report your "buying a bunch of FAR items, following their terms & conditions? Okay" experience. And, PP already told you by doing so, IT'S NOT FOLLOWING THE T&C.

Again, there are people who can't tell the difference between 'abuse' and 'taking advantage of'. It's just sad.

vagrants said:   And, PP already told you by doing so, IT'S NOT FOLLOWING THE T&C.They did not say that. But since you said it in caps lock, you must be very sure, so please show where Paypal stated this violated their terms & conditions. (Hint: Being "viewed as too much risk" =! "violated the terms & conditions.)

P.S. If you think the point of expressing one's opinion is to "decide who gets the cut," then unless you are a supervisor at Paypal, I suggest you follow your own advice and stop sharing yours.

atohmc said:   vagrants said:   And, PP already told you by doing so, IT'S NOT FOLLOWING THE T&C.They did not say that. But since you said it in caps lock, you must be very sure, so please show where Paypal stated this violated their terms & conditions. (Hint: Being "viewed as too much risk" =! "violated the terms & conditions.)

P.S. If you think the point of expressing one's opinion is to "decides who gets the cut," then unless you are a supervisor at Paypal, I suggest your follow your own advice and stop sharing yours.

So where is your 12 PP here readers? You just argue for the sake of argument. Whatever. It's not violating T&C so you should be very comfortable doing it.

I suggest stop sharing yours as well since yours is nothing but argument that PaPal will not buy. Oh, yes, since you are the expert of the T&C, please provide it.

vagrants said:   atohmc said:   vagrants said:   Yes, and got busted. Now whining.Got "busted" buying a bunch of FAR items, following their terms & conditions? Okay.

Keep arguing, but your opinion really doesn't matter since you are not the one who decides who gets the cut. Please, buy 12 PP here readers yourself and report your "buying a bunch of FAR items, following their terms & conditions? Okay" experience. And, PP already told you by doing so, IT'S NOT FOLLOWING THE T&C.

Again, there are people who can't tell the difference between 'abuse' and 'taking advantage of'. It's just sad.

You are incorrect. They never 'already told me so' that I wasn't following their T&Cs. The rep I spoke to agreed that I had followed the terms correctly and she went as far as to say the rebate really should have been worded '3 per household' or something similar.

Not sure why you are getting all worked up about this. Do you even have a horse in this race?

Skipping 26 Messages...
I think if enough people(FW?) got together to organize a paypal holiday (no paypal transactions) it might send a message to not bully people.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014