Paypal Wants to Divorce Me

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
vagrants said:   Oh, yes, since you are the expert of the T&C, please provide it.?

Google not working for you today? https://www.paypal-redeem.com/Main.aspx

Regardless, OP got caught trying to game the system. Whether his "game" was in violation or not, clearly PayPal doesn't want him as a customer and that's it. OP can be butthurt all he wants, but when signing up for his three PayPal accounts, he accepted the terms in that PayPal can terminate any account for any reason at any time, if they so please.

Speaking of Paypal Here, does anyone know exactly how charges show up on statements?

As an example Square puts "SQ*yourbusinessname" and Stripe just does "yourbusinessname".

jaytrader said:   Regardless, OP got caught trying to game the system. Whether his "game" was in violation or not, clearly PayPal doesn't want him as a customer and that's it. OP can be butthurt all he wants, but when signing up for his three PayPal accounts, he accepted the terms in that PayPal can terminate any account for any reason at any time, if they so please.

Whatever you need to tell yourself. Apparently they do still want me as a customer.

The only thing I 'got caught' at was claiming rebates for which I followed the terms exactly.
Yes, Paypal viewed that many readers as a risk. I can accept that. But I appreciate the fact that when I explained, they reconsidered their stance.

And I never said I signed up for three paypal accounts. That is not allowed per paypal terms. What is allowed is one personal and one premier account per person. Which is what I had.

Glad you found a rep. that understood your situation, and helped you get your access back.

winter said:   BeanTech said:   technoboy said:   The limit was 3, you did 12. Where do you not see the disconnect? I hate people to abuse the system and then complain when it breaks. And ruins it for people not out to 'scam' anyone, just get a 'fair' deal.

No. The limit was 3 per paypal account. We have 4 paypal accounts that are legitimate per paypal's own terms. I see no disconnect there.
Let's see, Paypal allowed for 3 per account because there may actually be some people who legitimately needed 3 readers.

You decided to get cute and use multiple accounts to get 12 of them for free (or more likely you made a profit).

You provided no reason for why you wanted 12 (other than because you could) and you stated you haven't used any of them.

Gee, I can't imagine why Paypal doesn't want to do business with you anymore. The indignation you display is remarkable.
That's just stupid. The limit was 3 per account, not 3 per person. Paypal is just throwing a hissy fit and getting even with people that cost them a little money because they were too stupid to set the limits or details of the offer properly in the first place. Claiming it's because they don't know what the purchaser is doing with the readers is just stupid on top of stupid. They don't usually know what ANY of the people buying them for the rebate are doing with them, whether they bought just one, three, or even 12. I bought 3 and haven't used a single one of them. If Paypal's reasoning was sound, they should have limited my account as well cause they don't know what I'm doing with mine either.

vagrants said:   Yes, and got busted. Now whining.vagrants, you work for Paypal or are just ... challenged?? You seem awfully happy that Paypal is just doing whatever the hell they want to people that were only following the offer just at Paypal laid it out. If there was specific restrictions violated or something illegal being done it would be understandable, but there weren't. All he did was buy 3 reader per account, just as was allowed, and Paypal screwed him for it, making up a BS excuse claiming they didn't know what he was doing with them all???

So, I am also in this state of Paypal hell, did not know the exact reason until I just found this thread. I did 12 of them on my wife and my 2 Paypal accounts (and as has already been stated here, this was completely within PP regulations). Have not contacted them yet. I do need to get one of them reopened for payments I receive (Staples and others, not selling). Has anyone else succeeded in getting them to agree to reopen accounts? I am sure they hit a lot of people who had previously been very good Paypal customers, since a lot of people had a lot of Staples Rewards to burn.

Stupidly (on my part), when they closed my wife's accounts (but mine were still OK) I did not immediately login and empty out my account. Oh, and all of the notices ended up in my Verizon spam folder. I never would have seen them had I not checked there.

Danzilla said:   winter said:   BeanTech said:   technoboy said:   The limit was 3, you did 12. Where do you not see the disconnect? I hate people to abuse the system and then complain when it breaks. And ruins it for people not out to 'scam' anyone, just get a 'fair' deal.

No. The limit was 3 per paypal account. We have 4 paypal accounts that are legitimate per paypal's own terms. I see no disconnect there.
Let's see, Paypal allowed for 3 per account because there may actually be some people who legitimately needed 3 readers.

You decided to get cute and use multiple accounts to get 12 of them for free (or more likely you made a profit).

You provided no reason for why you wanted 12 (other than because you could) and you stated you haven't used any of them.

Gee, I can't imagine why Paypal doesn't want to do business with you anymore. The indignation you display is remarkable.
That's just stupid. The limit was 3 per account, not 3 per person. Paypal is just throwing a hissy fit and getting even with people that cost them a little money because they were too stupid to set the limits or details of the offer properly in the first place. Claiming it's because they don't know what the purchaser is doing with the readers is just stupid on top of stupid. They don't usually know what ANY of the people buying them for the rebate are doing with them, whether they bought just one, three, or even 12. I bought 3 and haven't used a single one of them. If Paypal's reasoning was sound, they should have limited my account as well cause they don't know what I'm doing with mine either.
The only person I see throwing a hissy fit is you and OP.

Its laughable that you think that if Paypal doesn't explicitly tell you not do something that you think it must be ok. That's the kind of logic a child would use to justify bad behavior.

Paypal is a business, having an account with them is not a right. Don't be surprised if you abuse the relationship and they close the accounts. Yes, ordering 12 readers *is* abusive.

You make not like it or think their "reasoning was sound" but it doesn't matter - it's not your business. They are free to do what they want and you free to continue whining about it.

winter said:   The only person I see throwing a hissy fit is you and OP.

Its laughable that you think that if Paypal doesn't explicitly tell you not do something that you think it must be ok. That's the kind of logic a child would use to justify bad behavior.

Paypal is a business, having an account with them is not a right. Don't be surprised if you abuse the relationship and they close the accounts. Yes, ordering 12 readers *is* abusive.

They were not ordered. They were purchased at a retail store, where they were readily available for purchase. You could have bought two dozen if the store had them (obviously you could not have gotten the rebate on all of them). This isn't an issue of Paypal not explicitly telling us something. They explicitly gave the rules -- 3 readers per Paypal account 2 Paypal accounts per person and the rules were followed. If Paypal wanted people to only have one reader, they should not have made them available at retail, or not offered them for free after rebate. Or they should have said that the limit was one per account. Then people would have bought one per account and not three. Square offers their readers for $10 at Staples, with a $10 rebate and their limit is one and guess what -- I only bought one. Paypal didn't put any requirements on the purchase -- you didn't actually have to use it, just redeem the code inside the package.

Let's try a different example. Staples offers a rebate on a product and tells you that the rebate limit is 10. You buy 10 and get your rebate. A few months later, Staples decides that they didn't really want you to be able to get 10, so they're banning you as a customer. How about a supermarket puts paper towels on sale with a limit of 10 and you buy 10 rolls and a week later tells you that they meant to limit it to 3 and you are now banned. Is that fair? How is it any different than what is going on here?
You make not like it or think their "reasoning was sound" but it doesn't matter - it's not your business. They are free to do what they want and you free to continue whining about it.
You are the one who is whining about it.

The really amusing thing here is that Paypal seems to think there is an exposure here from people having too many readers, when I doubt there are many who purchased like this who are actually using them. Or maybe that's just their excuse for getting back at us.

Personally, I'd be OK with them just disabling Paypal Here access on my accounts. Then there's no risk.

I maxed out on the Paypal readers too for me and my wife (3 readers per Paypal account 2 Paypal accounts per person for a total of 12 Pay Pal readers), why haven't our Paypal account been limited? or is it just a matter of time?

MrVietnam said:   I maxed out on the Paypal readers too for me and my wife (3 readers per Paypal account 2 Paypal accounts per person for a total of 12 Pay Pal readers), why haven't our Paypal account been limited? or is it just a matter of time?No way of knowing but I would not recommend carrying a balance there if you don't need to.

billrubin said:   MrVietnam said:   I maxed out on the Paypal readers too for me and my wife (3 readers per Paypal account 2 Paypal accounts per person for a total of 12 Pay Pal readers), why haven't our Paypal account been limited? or is it just a matter of time?No way of knowing but I would not recommend carrying a balance there if you don't need to.

Sage advice. I will transfer my money out now. They couldn't legally take your money in your Pay Pal account if they closed you down though, could they?

winter said:   The only person I see throwing a hissy fit is you and OP.

Its laughable that you think that if Paypal doesn't explicitly tell you not do something that you think it must be ok.

Have you never done a rebate before? The entire rebate process is based on explicit instructions which, if you don't follow, gets your rebates denied.
I simply posted about my experience and how I did not agree with how it was being handled. After discussing the issue with higher-ups at PayPal, they agreed to resinstate me after I agreed to send most of the readers back. How exactly is this 'throwing a hissy fit'?

billrubin said:   So, I am also in this state of Paypal hell, did not know the exact reason until I just found this thread. I did 12 of them on my wife and my 2 Paypal accounts (and as has already been stated here, this was completely within PP regulations). Have not contacted them yet. I do need to get one of them reopened for payments I receive (Staples and others, not selling). Has anyone else succeeded in getting them to agree to reopen accounts? I am sure they hit a lot of people who had previously been very good Paypal customers, since a lot of people had a lot of Staples Rewards to burn.

Stupidly (on my part), when they closed my wife's accounts (but mine were still OK) I did not immediately login and empty out my account. Oh, and all of the notices ended up in my Verizon spam folder. I never would have seen them had I not checked there.

You will have to work your way up the phone tree chain, as the initial reps you get will claim the decision is final and cannot be appealed. Stand firm and ask to be escalated. Don't make up some bogus story, but simply tell the truth. That is what worked for me.

I question the whole 'too much risk' theory anyway....One can't simply plug one of these readers into a phone and start swiping credit cards. It has to be linked to a PayPal account.
Without said link, these are basically worthless.

So, I finally got around to calling them late this afternoon. The guy I spoke to understood the situation, and I pointed out to him that I had done nothing wrong and it was wrong of them to change the rules after the fact. He said he would submit a request for my accounts to be reviewed and I should hear from them either tonight or tomorrow. I just got emails for all of our accounts saying that access had been restored. Immediately logged in and submitted a transfer of most of my balance to my bank.

I'm guessing that they got a bunch more calls like mine since the time that the OP originally called and were more equipped to handle them, or else someone more important than me pointed out that what they were doing was very questionable.

billrubin said:   winter said:   The only person I see throwing a hissy fit is you and OP.

They were not ordered. They were purchased at a retail store, where they were readily available for purchase. You could have bought two dozen if the store had them (obviously you could not have gotten the rebate on all of them). This isn't an issue of Paypal not explicitly telling us something. They explicitly gave the rules -- 3 readers per Paypal account 2 Paypal accounts per person and the rules were followed. If Paypal wanted people to only have one reader, they should not have made them available at retail, or not offered them for free after rebate. Or they should have said that the limit was one per account. Then people would have bought one per account and not three. Square offers their readers for $10 at Staples, with a $10 rebate and their limit is one and guess what -- I only bought one. Paypal didn't put any requirements on the purchase -- you didn't actually have to use it, just redeem the code inside the package.

Let's try a different example. Staples offers a rebate on a product and tells you that the rebate limit is 10. You buy 10 and get your rebate. A few months later, Staples decides that they didn't really want you to be able to get 10, so they're banning you as a customer. How about a supermarket puts paper towels on sale with a limit of 10 and you buy 10 rolls and a week later tells you that they meant to limit it to 3 and you are now banned. Is that fair? How is it any different than what is going on here?
You are the one who is whining about it.

The really amusing thing here is that Paypal seems to think there is an exposure here from people having too many readers, when I doubt there are many who purchased like this who are actually using them. Or maybe that's just their excuse for getting back at us.

Personally, I'd be OK with them just disabling Paypal Here access on my accounts. Then there's no risk.

Your self-righteousness is off the chart. You are telling another thread, that's not how a thing should be especially with a coupon use. But here, since it involves you, PayPal committed a crime. http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1288450/m17888175/#m17...

Thank god, you are not my customer.

BeanTech said:   You will have to work your way up the phone tree chain, as the initial reps you get will claim the decision is final and cannot be appealed. Stand firm and ask to be escalated. Don't make up some bogus story, but simply tell the truth. That is what worked for me.

And, I assume the truth you told them was you were profiting from PayPal with the $15 Staples rebate for VISA/MC GC along with Chase Ink 5x points...converting useless Staples GC into cash?

vagrants said:   Your self-righteousness is off the chart. You are telling another thread, that's not how a thing should be especially with a coupon use. But here, since it involves you, PayPal committed a crime. http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1288450/m17888175/#m17...
In that thread, I told people not to use CVS coupons fraudulently (especially people who did 10 transactions, requiring the cashier to override a rejection for at least 9 of them). You claim I am being self-righteous. Please tell me exactly what Paypal rule I violated or what I did that was fraudulent in buying the readers with my Staples Rewards dollars. Staples sells the readers as a normal product. They allow you to use Rewards when purchasing it.

Here is the listing at Staples.com

http://www.staples.com/PayPal-Credit-Card-Reader-for-Tablets-and...

It even lists the $15 rebate and explains how to get it. Notice it even says "Get $15 back with account sign-up (limit 3 refunds per account)"

Paypal allows you to redeem 3 reader rebates per Paypal account. Paypal allows each individual to have 2 Paypal accounts. I just do not understand what you and the others here are claiming we did that was even remotely improper. Nothing beeped when I made the purchase. Everything was on the up-and-up. Your opinion that I should have bought less is of absolutely no interest to me as it's not based on any Paypal (or Staples) policies.
Trust me, I wouldn't want to be your customer.

vagrants said:   And, I assume the truth you told them was you were profiting from PayPal with the $15 Staples rebate for VISA/MC GC along with Chase Ink 5x points...converting useless Staples GC into cash?It was not a Staples rebate. It was a Paypal rebate that was included with the unit. And how they were paid for was completely irrelevant, even if you are too stubborn to understand this.

And there was no 5x Chase Ink points for most since we were using Staples Rewards dollars to buy them.

Holy pissing match batman.

vagrants said:   Your self-righteousness is off the chart. You are telling another thread, that's not how a thing should be especially with a coupon use. But here, since it involves you, PayPal committed a crime. http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1288450/m17888175/#m17...

Read the T&C on the CVS coupon. People who are using it (who did not receive it and/or multiple times) are violating the T&C and are committing coupon fraud (albeit a smallish $3 fraud).

Nobody in this thread has violated Paypal's T&C.

You're confused because you either haven't read the T&C, or you have but are unable to understand them.

I love these threads! Paypal are crooks plain and simple. They are not FDIC anything and they can do whatever they want. Its simply a matter of time before Paypal screws you to the wall for no good reason at all. Every one of you. It is inevitable and those posts about "paypal works fine for me, you must be breaking the rules" make me chuckle because youll be back on here posting "What the hell happened?" posts before too long.

Not one person I know of has ever seen this website before being personally screwed by paypal. They always see it too late. Educate yourself people so your anal violation does not come as a surprise. It wont save you because Paypal is the only real option for most of us but at least youll have time to rub some butter on your hind parts first.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

Sammich, you're exactly right. I always read the "Paypal Sucks" complaints and said "Paypal is great, I never had any problems". Then this happened to me. Even when they blocked my wife's accounts (for reasons unknown at the time) I didn't think to immediately login to mine and transfer out my balance.

I have no choice but to use Paypal to receive payments for certain things, but you can be sure I will not be keeping large balances there anymore (not that I should have, anyway). And they've lost income from me because the past couple of weeks of Staples rebates I submitted are now being paid by check instead of Paypal.

atohmc said:   Read the T&C on the CVS coupon. People who are using it (who did not receive it and/or multiple times) are violating the T&C and are committing coupon fraud (albeit a smallish $3 fraud).
Gets more substantial when you do it 10 times.

Sammich said:   Not one person I know of has ever seen this website before being personally screwed by paypal.
I've seen it and I haven't been screwed by PayPal. So you can no longer honestly make that statement.

I think if enough people(FW?) got together to organize a paypal holiday (no paypal transactions) it might send a message to not bully people.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014