• filter:
  • 1 234524
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
All,
I received mailer from DOJ for being eligible to benefit from DOJ's settlement with Countrywide over alleged discrimination based on marital status.

The settlement advisor will try to help your spouse regain his/her property rights or may determine an appropriate amount payment if your spouse meets these conditions.

Has anyone else received the same notice, and what is the feedback?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Wow!

slivergirl (Dec. 19, 2014 @ 2:34p) |

Well. I posted what I learned from calling Rust yesterday. I really donot believe much of what they told me. They have l... (more)

redskinbandmom (Dec. 20, 2014 @ 12:28p) |

Well, that's disappointing.

sakfite (Dec. 20, 2014 @ 8:03p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
anyone, noone with any feedback or input?

rated:
I know nothing about this- but just make 100% sure it's legit.

rated:
You can send your thank you note to mikef07.

rated:
This is legit. I received the same thing.

rated:
avalon6 said:   This is legit. I received the same thing.

did you send the completed form? what all documents are you sending? i am planning to send the title document, where only my name was there and not the spouse's name.

rated:
i received the same letter. but didnt send in any documents because BOA could no longer find me in the system just like when i was calling in regards to the 2 different loan modifications they sent me. i just explained on it that i did sign something even though i was not taking the loan out. and that i took the loan out over 10 years ago.

rated:
Today I received a letter for DOJ stating I am eligible to receive a payment due to a settlement with Countrywide over allegations of mortgage lending discrimination. It states I will receive a check or additional information from Rust Consulting within 6-8 weeks. The settlement amount is$6970.00!!!!

I have to sign and submit a release form.

More info::
The $335 million settlement fund addresses allegations that Countrywide Financial engaged in a widespread pattern or practice of discrimination against more than 200,000 qualified Hispanic and African-American borrowers across the country who received mortgage loans from 2004 through 2008, as well as allegations of discrimination on the basis of marital status by encouraging non-applicant spouses to sign away their rights in jointly-held property when the applicant spouse took out a loan in his or her own name. Letters will go out at a later date to borrowers potentially affected by the alleged marital status discrimination.Individuals with questions about the United States v. Countrywide Financial Corporation lending discrimination settlement may contact Rust Consulting by telephone at 1-800-843-5148 or by email.Please note that while Rust Consulting was also the Settlement Administrator for the recentIndependent Foreclosure Review, this is a completely different settlement with different terms and conditions for payout.

Anyone else receive this letter??

Law of attraction works!!

rated:
I got the same letter yesterday.. I have signed and mailed it back to them...Mine was for Lending Discrimination.

rated:
Back in June I received the letter from the DOJ. I did respond. Nothing more has been mailed to me.

rated:
I emailed them today to see if there were any updates to the marital discrimination part. I believe the two that received offers were apart of the racial discrimination part of the settlement.

rated:
I received a release form as well. Let me know if you receive a check. Do you think we will receive our checks early?

rated:
steffiejoe said:   Today I received a letter for DOJ stating I am eligible to receive a payment due to a settlement with Countrywide over allegations of mortgage lending discrimination. It states I will receive a check or additional information from Rust Consulting within 6-8 weeks. The settlement amount is$6970.00!!!!

I have to sign and submit a release form.

More info::
The $335 million settlement fund addresses allegations that Countrywide Financial engaged in a widespread pattern or practice of discrimination against more than 200,000 qualified Hispanic and African-American borrowers across the country who received mortgage loans from 2004 through 2008, as well as allegations of discrimination on the basis of marital status by encouraging non-applicant spouses to sign away their rights in jointly-held property when the applicant spouse took out a loan in his or her own name. Letters will go out at a later date to borrowers potentially affected by the alleged marital status discrimination.Individuals with questions about the United States v. Countrywide Financial Corporation lending discrimination settlement may contact Rust Consulting by telephone at 1-800-843-5148 or by email.Please note that while Rust Consulting was also the Settlement Administrator for the recentIndependent Foreclosure Review, this is a completely different settlement with different terms and conditions for payout.

Anyone else receive this letter??

Law of attraction works!!

I know this is true. I received a letter with a larger amount.

rated:
For all of you who have received the settlement amount and release form are you all a part of the racial discrimination or marital discrimination?

rated:
Here is a copy of the email I received back from RUST consulting about when we could expect to hear anything about the marital part of the settlement. The only thing I really got from it was if you received the form to fill out you are probably eligible to get some sort of benefit from the settlement either your rights back or something monetary. If you didn't fill out and mail back the form you are not going to get anything.

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the December 2011 settlement between Countrywide and the Department of Justice concerning allegations of unlawful discrimination.

The United States Department of Justice filed a lawsuit against Countrywide that alleged, among other things, that Countrywide discriminated against some spouses of borrowers who received loans from Countrywide only in the borrower’s own name. The lawsuit alleged that discrimination occurred if your spouse was required or encouraged to sign a document that gave up his/her rights in the property used to secure your loan without understanding the possible consequences or that signing was totally voluntary. Countrywide denies this allegation.

The marital status claims concern alleged discrimination in regard to loans that Countrywide made to borrowers who were married at the time of the loan, but only named one spouse as a borrower. Non-borrower spouses of any race or national origin may be eligible to participate in this part of the settlement. The benefits for the marital group may include assistance in reclaiming lost property rights, or a possible monetary payment. The claim form filing deadline for marital status claims was July 31, 2013. Countrywide denies the allegations of discrimination against both groups.

The DOJ claims that between 2004 and June 2008 Countrywide illegally encouraged or required some spouses of borrowers who received loans in the borrower’s own name to sign a document giving up all of their rights in the property used to secure the loan. That document was often called a “quitclaim deed,” an “inter-spousal transfer deed,” or something similar. While these documents have legitimate purposes, DOJ’s lawsuit claims it is unlawful for a lender to require or encourage spouses who are not the borrower to sign such a document giving up their property rights, unless the spouse does so voluntarily and after being fully informed of the possible negative results of signing such a document. Countrywide denies these allegations. Documents related to the lawsuit and settlement may be found under the heading “United States v. Countrywide Financial Corp., et al. (C.D. Cal.)” at http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/hce/caselist.php.

These transfer documents are different from the mortgage or deed of trust that a lender may require a non-borrower spouse to sign as part of the normal mortgage lending process; signing such a document gives the lender a security interest in the property used to secure the loan, but does not give away the non-borrower spouse’s property rights. A non-borrower spouse who only signed a mortgage or deed of trust is not covered by this settlement.

The settlement only includes those borrowers that the Department of Justice has previously identified as being eligible to recover under the settlement.. Because of the large number of borrowers involved in this case, the Department of Justice’s identification of borrowers eligible to recover is final, and the Department cannot further review the records of individual borrowers.

The Department of Justice analyzed millions of Countrywide loan records between the years of 2004 and 2008 to determine which non-borrower spouses were encouraged or required to transfer or give up his or her property rights, without being told about the possible negative results of doing so, or without being told that doing so was entirely voluntary. Because of the large number of non-borrower spouses involved in this case, the Department of Justice’s identification of eligible participants is final, and the Department cannot further review the records of individual borrowers.

The final deadline to mail the completed claim form was July 31, 2013. If you fail to mail in the claim form by July 31, 2013, you will not be eligible for relief under this settlement. Sending in a late form will be the same as doing nothing.

For future email correspondence regard the Marital Class questions please reply to infomarital@CWFLSettlement.com. Thank you.

Our representatives are available Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Central Time and on Saturdays between the hours of 11:00 a.m. to 4:00p.m. Central Time, please call 1-877-309-1959.

Sincerely,
Countrywide Fair Lending Settlement Administrator

rated:
I'm apart of the discrimination lawsuit.

rated:
So were you guys discriminated because you we married or because you weren't?

rated:
I also sent them an email, asking numerous questions, such as did they receive my form back? When do they expect to send out further details about payment, release etc. I got the same generic response, but they did let me know they had received my documents and it is in review. No other information could be given at this time.

rated:
My claim was for discrimination (racial) in making a loan. Not the martial suit.

rated:
I received my letter and turned it in on June 30 of this year. But have not received any other correspondence...has anyone actually received any other updates or a check?

rated:
I received one too and returned the letter already.
The letter of discrimination lawsuit is still going. Call 1877-309-1959 for updates.

rated:
You can also email to get your status. I just included my claim number from the mailing I received. I included the response I got back from when I checked on my claim. I would assume we wont hear anything till at least the end of December. It took about 5 months from when the racial discrimination claims were due at the end of March to them hearing back the end of August. And who knows how much longer they will have to wait to actually receive payment.

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the December 2011 settlement between Countrywide and the Department of Justice concerning allegations of unlawful discrimination.

This email is to confirm that we have received your claim form.

After you return a claim form and any other necessary information and if you are then found to be eligible to receive a payment, you will be mailed notice of the exact amount of your payment together with a release form to sign and return to us. Once we have received and verified your release form, we will mail your payment to you in the form of a check. Because of the large number of persons affected by this settlement, there will be a substantial amount of time before final payments are determined and sent to the non-borrower spouses who participate.

For future email correspondence regard the Marital Class questions please reply to infomarital@CWFLSettlement.com. Thank you.

Our representatives are available Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Central Time and on Saturdays between the hours of 11:00 a.m. to 4:00p.m. Central Time, please call 1-877-309-1959.

Sincerely,
Countrywide Fair Lending Settlement Administrator

rated:
I called for an update. They say they received my claim form. I was told I would receive a check or request for additional information 6-8 weeks from the date they processed my claim form.

My case was for discrimination.

rated:
The justice department said release forms with check amounts began going out in August 2013 for the race discrimination part of the lawsuit.

Im part of the marital discrimination lawsuit and when i called for information last week, i was told that check amounts would go out later this year with no definite date. So sometime in the next two months.

rated:
mrroberts said:   I'm apart of the discrimination lawsuit.
You're not together?

Pro tip: Take the "a" off and if it still makes sense, you should be using "a part," not "apart."

rated:
I received mine just yesterday for $2910.00!!! Expecting more for the Spouse -Marital thing.

rated:
soniasamonte said:   I received mine just yesterday for $2910.00!!! Expecting more for the Spouse -Marital thing.
  When did you mail in your claim form to them? I am still waiting for my check!

rated:
My husband received the letter from you about , the discrimination lawsuit with Countrywide. We fill out all the question. We got a letter stain we were eligible from some money from the Settlement. Last letter we got my husband signed it and mailed it back on Aug. 29, 2013. We expecting to get a check in the mail within 6 to 8 week , Is going to be 9 week or it's already. Let me know if the payment was send or will be and when . Pleases we need to know . Thx. Jorge Maldonado , Bethlehem , PA. That letter was the confirmation about our eligibility of the amount of ---- . We should get it already.

rated:
Called again today for an update. I was told my check would be mailed out on 11-1-13.

rated:
you already got a check back???  i am just asking because when i call the 800 number all they do is read the script to me.

rated:
bangelpirate said:   
soniasamonte said:   I received mine just yesterday for $2910.00!!! Expecting more for the Spouse -Marital thing.
  When did you mail in your claim form to them? I am still waiting for my check!

did you receive something in the mail stating that you would be receiving a check?

rated:
What number did you call to get a check mail date?

rated:
I mailed my form in September and the 800 acknowledges receipt on 9/8/13, it's been more than 8 weeks!! I see some folks have received their checks. Can you tell me how long it took to receive/when you mailed the form in? I call the 800# and all I get is scripted responses and it's frustrating!
Thanks

rated:
I mailed my form in September and the 800 acknowledges receipt on 9/8/13, it's been more than 8 weeks!! I see some folks have received their checks. Can you tell me how long it took to receive/when you mailed the form in? I call the 800# and all I get is scripted responses and it's frustrating!
Thanks

rated:
Thanks

rated:
Be patient, it's for real. I just talked to a representative and was told my check will be mailed 11/15/13. Call the number and find the option to talk to a human.

rated:
Discrimination lawsuit here, called them and they received my waiver form on 9/11 today marks they end of 8 weeks since 9/11 still being patient and waiting for my check

rated:
I mailed my release form on 8/30/13 and I called 800-843-5148 on 10/23/13 to follow-up and the person I talked to stated that they have processed my claim on 9-22-13 and from that date it will take 6-8 weeks to notify me if need more information or check will be mailed out. You don't count from the time you mailed the release form its from the time they received and process the form which she said 9/22/13. I called them again today and still say the same thing. No date yet when the check will be mailed out.

rated:
My ex-husband called and let me know he got a letter from Rust Consulting about the spousal discrimination case back in June 2013, he dropped it by and I filled it out and had it in the mail the same day.  I remembered that I had signed things at the mortgage refinancing meeting with the Countrywide rep and I'd gone into it thinking I was a part of the mortgage but found out that I wasn't.  In the process of our divorce I was told that I had no rights to the house and I didn't get any settlement from the house, and I am pretty sure he lost it to foreclosure although I have no proof of that.  It's not relevant but honestly losing my house and my half of the equity broke my heart.  I'd rather have the house than the money but it's long gone.

I  have heard nothing from Rust since I sent in that document.  I emailed yesterday and hope to hear something back today, but based on what ya'll have shared so far, I doubt it will be anything new.  I'm hoping that Rust will at least confirm that they received my paperwork and are reviewing, that's something.  I will update if I hear anything that adds to what we already know. 

Skipping 906 Messages...
rated:
Well, that's disappointing. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014