• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Anyone else get this?

(Legal Notice)
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA

If You Used TurboTax Online and Opted to have your TurboTax Fees Deducted from your Tax Return for a Fee,
You May Be Eligible for a Payment from a Class Action Settlement.

A $6.55 million proposed settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit against Intuit, Inc. regarding the Refund Processing Service products ("RPS") available on TurboTax online that allow TurboTax customers to choose to pay their TurboTax fees by deducting the amount owed from their tax refund for a fee (typically $29.95). Intuit, the owner of TurboTax, denies the claims in the lawsuit and maintains there was nothing wrong with the practice. The Court has not decided which side is right.

Who's Included In The Class? Intuit's records show you are a Settlement Class Member. The Settlement Class includes anyone who used TurboTax's Online Refund Processing Service, from January 12, 2008 through May 28, 2013.

What Are the Settlement Terms? Intuit has agreed to establish a Settlement Fund of $6.55 million. You cannot receive a payment unless you submit a claim form. Information regarding how to fill out and submit claim forms can be found online at www.TurboTaxClassAction.com or by calling 1-888-980-9394. Claim forms may be submitted online.

Your Rights May Be Affected. If you do not want to be legally bound by the settlement, you must exclude yourself by September 23, 2013. If you stay in the settlement, you may object to it by August 28, 2013. Instructions on how to exclude yourself or object are contained in the detailed notice at the website listed below. The Court will hold a hearing on September 27, 2013, at 9:00 a.m. to consider whether to approve the settlement, Class Counsel's request for attorneys' fees of up to 25% of the value of the Settlement Fund, reimbursement of expenses, and service award for the Class Representatives. You can appear at the hearing, but you do not have to. You can hire your own attorney, at your own expense, to appear or speak for you at the hearing. For more information, call or visit the website.

www.TurboTaxClassAction.com
1-888-980-9394

TurboTax Class Action
Settlement Administrator
c/o Heffler Claims Group
P.O. Box 220
Philadelphia, PA 19105-0220

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I've been using TurboTax for years but I haven't received a notice yet.

Another example of the class action bar filing ridiculous lawsuits that are ultimately cheaper to settle than to litigate. So we will never know the merits of their claim (deducting agreed & disclosed processing fee from the tax refund amount).

kap10flirt said:   I've been using TurboTax for years but I haven't received a notice yet.

but did you pay an extra $30 to have the Turbo Tax fee deducted from your return? I'm guessing not many FWers will qualify for this one ...

tuphat said:   Another example of the class action bar filing ridiculous lawsuits that are ultimately cheaper to settle than to litigate. So we will never know the merits of their claim (deducting agreed & disclosed processing fee from the tax refund amount).
I'm guessing that the actual claim is based on the fact that, due to the way the payment was structured, refunds were delayed by over a month in some cases.

People pay fees to use Turbo Tax?

Yeah... I don't even use e-file. I use TurboTax and print and mail my returns because I'm too cheap to pay the $20 state e-filing fee Intuit charges.

That said, I read the complaint and there may be something to it once you compare the 'Free Online' verses the 'Freedom' editions of the TurboTax products though I certainly wont argue either way. I have to use the home and business editions so I'm excluded anyway.

supersnoop00 said:   I'm guessing that the actual claim is based on the fact that, due to the way the payment was structured, refunds were delayed by over a month in some cases.

Re: delay in refund -- not true, based on experience of lead plaintiff: "Thus Plaintiffs paid $29.95 (in finance charges) for an approximate 14-day
extension of credit of $86.90. The APR, properly calculated in accordance with TILA, was an exorbitant quadruple-digit interest rate."

Eligible and have not seen anything yet

I believe this is a phishing email..... I received it as well the email it came from was turbotax1@allem2.com This sounds like a scam, please let me know if you think it is.

tuphat said:   Another example of the class action bar filing ridiculous lawsuits that are ultimately cheaper to settle than to litigate. So we will never know the merits of their claim (deducting agreed & disclosed processing fee from the tax refund amount).I agree that the use of TurboTax "Free Edition" is intentionally deceptive. Many people that are trying to use the "Freedom Edition" likely end up using the "Free Edition," not knowing the difference.

From the complaint,
"While Defendant prominently displayed and aggressively marketed its not-free “Free Edition,” it conceals from plain view what it calls its “Freedom Edition”, which provides free e-filing for both federal and state tax returns (for states participating in the FFA). The “Freedom Edition,” as opposed to the “Free Edition,” is the free e-filing program that is the product of TurboTax’s participation in the FFA, and subject to Defendant’s agreement with the IRS. The Agreement, for example, requires Defendant to post links to free state filing programs from its free e-file website (in this case, “Freedom Edition”) and does not allow for the types of financial products that are at the heart of this case."

"Defendant sought to maximize participation in the “Free Edition” because it, unlike in the “Freedom Edition” context, was not proscribed from using predatory financing products (including the RPO product addressed herein), a major source of income for Defendant. While the FFA Agreement with the IRS contemplates reasonable payment for some state tax returns, it prohibits predatory financing products (the focus of Plaintiffs’ complaint)."

http://www.turbotaxclassaction.com/documents/complaint.pdf

"Your claim amount depends on the total number of persons making claims"

uberblahblah said:   I believe this is a phishing email..... I received it as well the email it came from was turbotax1@allem2.com This sounds like a scam, please let me know if you think it is.

If its a phish, its a domain thats been 8 years in waiting:

http://whois.domaintools.com/allem2.com

And also:

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/california/...

That all matches up.

In other words, I think we have enough 3rd party confirmation to consider this legit.

I was going to do that once, have my fees taken out of my refund, but got to the part where it explained how much they would charge me for and and declined. I don't know how someone can sue for voluntarily agreeing to pay.

I used Turbo Tax for the last two years, I received this notice yesterday, and filled out the claim form today.

im unable to print..work computer has it as unsafe..spam..ive used them since 2008 and on my parents taxes..i paid that extra fee..but always received my money in 7 - 11 days. my returns were $3,000-$4,000 dollars ( have child deduction) so it was worth the extra fee for me. I agreed to the fee.

Yes I got it today, is it true?

I've done it at least four times since 07. Is there anyway to tell how many years I used TT? Don't wanna lie on the form

Only place I could find it was an old email from TurboTax, nothing online I could log into to find it...

i received this email as well, have you found more info? did you file the claim?

i filed. will update if i hear anything.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014