• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Where do FW Finance junkies stand on this issue?

Drew Brees amazed at tip reaction
ESPN.com.com news services

METAIRIE, La. -- Drew Brees says he's amazed his $3 tip on a $74 takeout order last month has become a talking point on national television and the Internet.

The quarterback was in the locker room at Saints headquarters Thursday morning when he noticed a discussion on a network morning show about tipping on takeout orders, referencing a photograph of his takeout receipt that was circulated online.

Brees said he figures the person who initially photographed the receipt did so innocently because he visits the San Diego-area restaurant regularly and poses for photos with staff.

The quarterback said he was disappointed "that it actually got spun and perceived as -- you immediately jump to the conclusion that he stiffed a waiter or waitress. That's the part that bothers me."

Brees responded to the blog himself on Twitter.

Brees suggested the headline to the initial blog post, which referred to him as "cheap," could have just as easily stated instead that he typically gives restaurant staff a few extra dollars on takeout orders, "but nobody's going to read that."

Brees' contract with the Saints pays $100 million over five years.

The quarterback did not appear deeply disturbed by the matter, smiling often while discussing it. He said he'll be happy if his takeout tip turns out to be the biggest controversy he has to discuss all season.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
What about pizza delivery? They charge a $2 delivery fee, and the drivers expect a $2 tip.

sackoloot (Sep. 13, 2013 @ 12:09a) |

I don't tip when I pick up food to go and pay with a CC. Occasionally when I pay with cash and get coins or a dollar I'l... (more)

mladyd (Sep. 13, 2013 @ 12:56a) |

It is normal to tip on the pre-tax amount, despite some servers feeling entitled to profiting from meals tax.† I certain... (more)

NEDeals (Sep. 13, 2013 @ 6:19a) |

"Reservoir Dogs" tipping scene: http://youtu.be/Z-qV9wVGb38

Link to takeout menu for restaurant that Drew visited. Modern Chinese cuisine, most entrees in $15-20 range. http://www.delmarrendezvous.com/take_out_menu.pdf

Why is he tipping on takeout???

Sometimes I'll throw a $1 tip on there ($2 if it's an especially cute female ringing up the order, you know, so she can see how I roll), but at least as often I don't tip anything for takeout. Maybe it's just my perception, but I feel like more restaurant employees are starting to expect a tip on takeout orders, though.

I typically round up to the nearest $ on take out.

IMO Brees went over and above by leaving $3 for a take-out order. I typically give a buck or two max. The most a "server" does for a take-out order is to bag the boxes of food and ring you up. That's about 2 minutes of work max. Making a buck a minute equates to a six figure income, so I feel like I'm paying them pretty well for the 2 minutes they spend on me. If they're unhappy with what they get paid outside the 2 minutes they spend on me, they can take it up with their employer and/or other customers. My philosophy with H's is the same...except they usually don't even have to spend the full 2 minutes.

I toss a couple bucks in usually... Boxing stuff up takes some time...

I don't tip for takeout unless they plan to wait the dining room table at home.

RadagastMOD said:   I toss a couple bucks in usually... Boxing stuff up takes some time...

Yeah, for the guy in the kitchen that boxes it up. Not for the person you're giving a tip to.

If he was supposed to tip on take out then anybody that complains better be tipping at McDonalds as they do the same thing.
Now if I could sit down and someone takes my order at McDonalds and brings me my food then I would tip then.

This was just dumb and another reason famous people canít even eat without being judged. Whatís that; he slaps his wife around and was involved in a murder, thatís not their fault butÖ
But no tip on a takeout order, ARGGGG!!!!

Leave Drew alone!! He's a fantasy football scoring machine and that's all that matters.

if im ordering take out at a nice sit down place I'll tip a few bucks if I feel they are very courteous despite assuming I will not tip.

RadagastMOD said:   I toss a couple bucks in usually... Boxing stuff up takes some time...

Not as much time as busing a table and washing dishes.

Depending on how the restaurant is set up and what type of restaurant it is, the takeout server may do a couple of things.

They may be the one person who is assigned to take your order over the phone, and then it might be the same person who follows through with your order, bags your food, and rings you up.

One key element is that a good takeout server will ensure that your order comes as requested. For instance, you might want your sauce on the side, or no mayo on your sandwich, then this person will ensure that the order has been completed correctly by the kitchen staff, before bagging it up for you.

If you've ever walked into a busy restaurant and stood there for 15 minutes while different people continuously "checked" on your order, or you've gotten home only to realize that you didn't get your food as ordered or are missing the extra tartar sauce you wanted, then you've had bad service.

If you walk into a restaurant, and the person assigned to your takeout order takes care of you right away, has your food already waiting for you, and you get your food correctly as ordered without a hassle, then you've had good service, and they might just deserve a tip, since it is a service industry.

I've worked takeout and know it takes some work to do well, especially if you're also working a busy section in the restaurant at the same time, so I always tip personally.

However, I would deem a $3 tip to be good for takeout, so I definitely wouldn't complain about that, especially since many people leave nothing.

But those 2 minutes of time were already "paid" by the restaurant owner. This is their wage/salary.

A common justification for tipping your waitress is that the restaurant owners pay them so little, under minimum wage, and so the customer is expected to make up the difference. That standard is 15%.

The to-go people are usually not waitresses, generally they are cashiers (at least, this is how it worked back when I worked to-go at a bbq joint growing up). They are full-time staff paid minimum wage. The tip at that point is simply a recognition of the small effort someone expended taking the order and putting it together -- usually this is someone in the back/kitchen, not the to-go person themselves. So you are unjustly enriching the to-go person, and I've never seen a to-go person "tip out" the kitchen staff like other waitresses do.

To-go people should be HAPPY if they get any tip at all, but certainly not expect anything, so picking on Drew Brees for leaving $3 is inexcusable.

He picks up his own take-out? Now that is more of a story.

Could probably sell the Brees receipt on eBay for big bucks.... with autograph and internet authentication.

The only reason to tip ever is to avoid getting 'extra special sauce' on your order next time.
Simple extortion.
End of story!
So if you ever plan on coming back...

$3 tip on takeout is GENEROUS.

So someone who works there is sore that he doesn't tip more and photocopies the receipt? Time to switch restaurants.

You often get less food in take out.

That's plenty tip enough.

dbond79 said:   Sometimes I'll throw a $1 tip on there ($2 if it's an especially cute female ringing up the order, you know, so she can see how I roll), but at least as often I don't tip anything for takeout. Maybe it's just my perception, but I feel like more restaurant employees are starting to expect a tip on takeout orders, though.
I worked Applebees Carside togo, and we also got less than minimum wage.
Also most chains - TGI Fridays, Applebees, Chilis, etc - the takeouts are handled by bartenders - just like gift cards - who'd rather be doing something tipped, like serving drinks.

That said, a few dollars is fine, with $3 on 76 togo being "meh", only going into cheap I'm assuming because the guy has plenty to spend - I don't think a $10 here would have broken the man and meant a lot to the togo person.

Please tip takeouts - especially big ones - atleast a few dollars. (5% is good.)

mattao... give me a break. the level of service for takeout is basically nonexistent.

maximoney said:   ...
One key element is that a good takeout server will ensure that your order comes as requested. ...

I think the bare minimum is that my order comes as requested. If not, they can keep trying again.

On occasion I'll tip on takeout, they're providing you a service.
What I won't tip and really grinds my gears are the tip jars at Self-Serve Frozen Yogurt places. Really, I'm going to tip you for keeping the store clean and stocked and weighing my yogurt?!

peeps4life said:   mattao... give me a break. the level of service for takeout is basically nonexistent.

Seriously. Who would work for less than minimum wage in a position that rarely receives tips? Find a new job.

If the place is busy AND it is a server handling my order, I might throw in a buck or two because I'm taking them away from other customers who are looking for a dining/bar experience.

If the place is empty, I don't care - $0 tip. My contribution to the place is that I gave them business. That keeps the lights on and the employees employed.

mattao21 said:   I worked Applebees Carside togo, and we also got less than minimum wage.
Also most chains - TGI Fridays, Applebees, Chilis, etc - the takeouts are handled by bartenders - just like gift cards - who'd rather be doing something tipped, like serving drinks.

That said, a few dollars is fine, with $3 on 76 togo being "meh", only going into cheap I'm assuming because the guy has plenty to spend - I don't think a $10 here would have broken the man and meant a lot to the togo person.

Please tip takeouts - especially big ones - atleast a few dollars. (5% is good.)

I'm moved by your story, but not enough to tip someone more than a buck or two on takeout. Seriously, if they're not happy with what they're being paid, they should take it up with management--there is value in sit down restaurant service...so I tend to tip generously for good service. There is no value in boxing up food and pushing buttons on the register aside from what I already paid for my food...so you're not going to get more than a buck or two from me, and often nothing for doing this. As someone stated above, if you think takeout "servers" deserve a tip, you should probably start tipping for fast food because they're doing the exact same work. If the take-out "server" isn't happy about being paid less than minimum wage, maybe they should apply at Taco Bell where they'll make minimum wage for doing roughly the same job.

valueinvestor said:   peeps4life said:   mattao... give me a break. the level of service for takeout is basically nonexistent.

Seriously. Who would work for less than minimum wage in a position that rarely receives tips? Find a new job.

Now if he brought out my food AND cleaned my windshield like the guy at the stop light... That's worth a buck.

maximoney said:   One key element is that a good takeout server will ensure that your order comes as requested.

If ... you've gotten home only to realize that you didn't get your food as ordered or are missing the extra tartar sauce you wanted, then you've had bad service.

As you point out in your second sentence that I quoted, most people don't stand there at the counter and disassemble their orders, so aside from actually doing that, there's no way to tell what service you've received.

mattao21 said:   Please tip takeouts - especially big ones - atleast a few dollars. (5% is good.)Out of curiosity, how much do you tip at Home Depot, Best Buy, etc., when you order for in-store pickup?

I know where I am FW.

For me when I'm flush I tip more. Sometimes a lot more.

And I really like Brees. The Chargers messed up. They'd have a Super Bowl Championship if they'd kept him.

Personally if I was flush like Brees I'd tip at least $20 everywhere.

Bring on the red.

P.S. The Chagers will be lucky to end up 8-8 this year. Rivers has less mobility than Mt. Rushmore.

Drew Brees is famous, and yes especially in San Diego. People are going to notice stuff like that so fair or not, he shouldn't be surprised someone 'noticed'. So yes there sort of is a "fame" tax when it comes to restaurant tipping. He's making $100 million over 5 years. He goes to the restaurant regularly apparently, too. He either should have tipped big or not at all for take out. $3 on $79 looks cheap to fans. Is it the worst thing in the world? Not by a long shot. but it's not a terribly good PR move either for someone whose career is tied to fan support.

My personal philosophy is that I tip pretty decently when I go to a sit-down restaurant (typically 20-25%; occasionally 18% if I'm a little irked by some small thing; and very rarely, if I'm not that happy, then 15%).

But for take-out, I typically tip nothing when I go inside and pick it up myself (there is no "service" - they took the order and bagged it to give me - that's the absolute minimum necessary to sell somebody an item). If it's curbside delivery, I'll round up plus a dollar or something because there is a little service involved. Also, if they offer a drink of something while I wait, I'll tip a little for that because that is something over and above doing the bare minimum. And yes I tip for pizza delivery. But in general, I don't think tips should be expected for take out.

Tip jars - I rarely use them. Occasionally I will put the coin change I get in them, but that is not a normal thing. Again, it comes down to providing some service that is over and above the bare minimum. The employer should be paying them for the "basics" (mind you, I'm in California so employers don't get away with paying their employees "tips only". They get paid at least minimum wage, so that does impact my feelings on what a tip is for).

beatme said:   maximoney said:   ...
One key element is that a good takeout server will ensure that your order comes as requested. ...

I think the bare minimum is that my order comes as requested. If not, they can keep trying again.

I totally agree.

I'm just saying that a good server will ensure quality control before delivering your order to you, while a bad server will simply bag the boxes of food that the kitchen puts out and give it to you, regardless of whether everything is correct to the customer's specifications.

It's just my opinion, but a server who cares and goes the extra mile to make your experience satisfying deserves an extra tip for doing so.

Why does that total cost of his order even matter as it relates to tipping on take out?

Does it take significantly more time/effort to deal with a $76 take-out order over a $30 take-out order?

If it's okay to not tip for take-out, why do we feel indebted to tip at Starbucks? That's take-out too, isn't it?

Tipping for everything is overrated and annoyingly expectant. I am sorry when I don't even leave a mess at a table or get refills ect.... the venue can pay the take out person a couple of bucks more per hour to run food outside and not offload that cost to me. Their food is already premium priced and when I leave space for another customer it is saving them that traffic and allowing for more business.

atohmc said:   maximoney said:   One key element is that a good takeout server will ensure that your order comes as requested.

If ... you've gotten home only to realize that you didn't get your food as ordered or are missing the extra tartar sauce you wanted, then you've had bad service.

As you point out in your second sentence that I quoted, most people don't stand there at the counter and disassemble their orders, so how would they know if they've gotten good service?

In my experience, some people do actually open all of the boxes and check that their food is correct before leaving the restaurant, especially if they've been burned in the past with incorrect orders.

However, to answer your question, a good takeout server will actually repeat the order to the customer upon presenting it to them, going over any special requests and ensuring the customer that everything is in order.

I have also seen cases where the server will actually open the boxes in front of the customers to show them everything is correct, although I don't really like this method personally. For instance, Famous Dave's has see-through tops to their boxes, and they'll pull them out of the bag to show you everything is correct.

As a customer, I'll always ask about it if I requested something extra, like "did you put my extra sauce in there?"

Of course, if you don't check, then you can't know for sure, even if a server goes over everything with you verbally, so I guess it depends on whether you believe them at that point, but usually, if the server tells you your order and says they just checked it in back, I would usually believe them and appreciate the extra courtesy.

dbond79 said:   Sometimes I'll throw a $1 tip on there ($2 if it's an especially cute female ringing up the order, you know, so she can see how I roll), but at least as often I don't tip anything for takeout. Maybe it's just my perception, but I feel like more restaurant employees are starting to expect a tip on takeout orders, though.

I don't think it's just restaurants. I see tip jars practically everywhere these days. Some sort of surge in "tip culture" in the last decade. And the tip line is on practically every credit card receipt these days as well. I can't tell if people think they are entitled to these tips, or if it's just widespread opportunity seizing. I'm trying to think of the most ridiculous tip jar I've seen ... maybe one inside of a gas station? For the guy who is working the cash register for the pumps? Why should I tip someone in that position - are they pumping my gas for me?

Any tip should be appreciated as it is not required, even if it is $1. I really hate that people think that because someone is rich they are supposed to leave massive tips. Tipping should just be abolished, along with the lie that servers make less than minimum wage.

I think its ridiculous that just because someone is a football player people see him as an easy target... as if you are entitled to some huge outsized tip just because someone has a high income.

Most people in the NFL only end up playing for an average of 3 years due to injuries. Everyone sees them as a mark to take advantage of and they generally end up broke within a few years of leaving the league.

The NFL players with any sensibility live frugal because they know they're going to need that short term income to last them their entire life. The fools spend every dime they bring in on flashy cars and never realize that income will end.

Skipping 204 Messages...
mmyk72 said:   I always tip on the pre-tax amount. Is this 'normal'?

Some restaurants put suggested tip amount on the bill, but they are based on post-tax amounts. So even when I tip 18%, which I think is fair for normal service (placing the order, delivering the food, 1 or 2 water refill, run the check), my tip looks low compared to the suggested tip amounts.

† It is normal to tip on the pre-tax amount, despite some servers feeling entitled to profiting from meals tax.† I certainly wouldn't servers in Delaware to think that I'm discriminating against them.†

I've seen the "suggested" tips based on post-tax, but whenever I've had an auto-grat (tip appears on the bill due to a large party, restaurant,com, etc.) it has always been based on the pre-tax.†

When the tax amount is 5, 6, 9, or 10%, it makes calculating the tip very easy.†

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014