• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
https://www.navyfederal.org/membership-benefits/offers-discounts...

$50 each for you and the person you refer
this one is not only for service members and good for up to 5 referrals
I wonder if I can refer my 1 month old baby?

and oddly, I'm not seeing when this promo ends

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Offer expired August 23.

wkf (Aug. 27, 2013 @ 7:51p) |

I get paid direct deposit from PayPal and I'm on NFCU. The thing is it takes three or four days, but I think this is tru... (more)

daniellenz (Aug. 27, 2013 @ 8:03p) |

You can join if your relative is a civilian DOD member.    I did.

Argyll (Aug. 28, 2013 @ 11:52a) |

direct link: https://www.navyfederal.org/membership-benefits/offers-discounts/80yr.php?
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

the $100 for setting up DD is for new signups in the month of August

For folks that are near a brick and mortar NFCU, there is a somewhat secret list that the CSR can access that allows you to apply. How can this be exploited without it being shut down?

alvinaverson said:   For folks that are near a brick and mortar NFCU, there is a somewhat secret list that the CSR can access that allows you to apply. How can this be exploited without it being shut down?

I doubt this is true, but if it is, don't talk about it on public internet forums.

If you have a family member who is active or retired military, or a civilian working for the DOD, you are eligible. Family member includes grandparent, parent, sibling, children. The Family member does not have to be a member of NFCU.

Grandfather is a Vet. Deceased.

After reading through eligibility checklist, it doesn't look like I am eligible.

Family Members—including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

Once your family members have joined, their family members are also eligible for membership.

I don't see Grandchildren of folks that are eligible since they are vets but are deceased in this list, how sad.

Minoritydan said:   Grandfather is a Vet. Deceased.

After reading through eligibility checklist, it doesn't look like I am eligible.

Family Members—including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

Once your family members have joined, their family members are also eligible for membership.

I don't see Grandchildren of folks that are eligible since they are vets but are deceased in this list, how sad.

? Grandchildren bolded since they are eligible.

Personally, I'm only eligible because my dad was in the Navy. I joined first, when I joined, I said my dad was in the Navy.
Then I referred my dad and we both got bonuses.

From my understanding, no grandchildren are not eligible in my case since my grandfather is deceased and he was not a memeber while he was alive.

I can't refer my grandfather like you did you dad.

Did their referral bonus in the past and it posted quickly. Current members are not eligible for the checking bonus, BTW.

Minoritydan said:   From my understanding, no grandchildren are not eligible in my case since my grandfather is deceased and he was not a memeber while he was alive.

I can't refer my grandfather like you did you dad.

does not say grandparents have to be living.
I didn't have to refer my dad (and I didn't until 2 years after I became a member).

Have you tried calling and saying "my grandfather's a vet of [insert war here], but is not a member of NFCU, can I join?"

that's basically all I did.

I'll give it a shot and report back my findings.

Come on guys, it's pretty simple. Your family member has to be living, and they have to either already be a NFCU member, or be actively receiving DOD retirement benefits or a DOD paycheck. I'm sure some people will play phone roulette and try to get in through a deceased family member, but I don't think it's going to work. I had a hard time getting in and I was eligible.

Tjguitar. That is not true. While my dad is living he does not meet any of your other criteria (you said "and"). I got approved with one phone call.

imbatman said:   Tjguitar. That is not true. While my dad is living he does not meet any of your other criteria (you said "and"). I got approved with one phone call.

unless you are referring to some category of eligibility that I forgot to mention that is listed on their website, maybe you just got a nice CSR.

oops someone had already posted about this promo, somehow didnt see that thread when I searched.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1289276/

Has anyone actually received their $50 referral credit yet? If so, how long did it take to post to your new account?

can new members be non-navy (military) CA residents?

AugustFour said:   can new members be non-navy (military) CA residents?

Yes. Any military branch in any state qualifies.

how about a civilian non-military US resident?
misterspaghetti said:   AugustFour said:   can new members be non-navy (military) CA residents?

AugustFour said:   how about a civilian non-military US resident?
misterspaghetti said:   AugustFour said:   can new members be non-navy (military) CA residents?

If you have some DOD connection (family, etc), I think so. Not totally sure of the particulars on that.

My mother is a civilian DoD employee. She won't sign up so I can piggyback off her, is there a way to do it without her getting an account? She had an account there years ago but closed it and doesn't want to reopen another, but will help me as best she can to get us in otherwise.

haloseven said:   My mother is a civilian DoD employee. She won't sign up so I can piggyback off her, is there a way to do it without her getting an account? She had an account there years ago but closed it and doesn't want to reopen another, but will help me as best she can to get us in otherwise.

Your mother does not have to be a member for you to join.

deleted

haloseven said:   My mother is a civilian DoD employee. She won't sign up so I can piggyback off her, is there a way to do it without her getting an account? She had an account there years ago but closed it and doesn't want to reopen another, but will help me as best she can to get us in otherwise.

It should be even easier for you to join. They can probably look up her access number if you give them her name.

alvinaverson said:   For folks that are near a brick and mortar NFCU, there is a somewhat secret list that the CSR can access that allows you to apply. How can this be exploited without it being shut down?

Shhhh you don't talk about fight club....you saw what happens when the Bowtie blogger ruined the HIGC deal.....

Anybody know if PayPal ACH push counts as a direct deposit for NFCU?

I called, so far I don't think I am elegible since my one grandfather served in WW2 in the Army, but did not retire, he served and was honorably discharged.

They told me he had to serve and retire.

Here is a summary of the call.

Me: I'd like to apply for an account. My Grandfather is a veteran.

CSR: That does not make you eligible, is he receiving VA benefits?

Me: He is deceased

CSR: Do you have any parents that are in the military?

Me: No, both grandparents served in the Army in WW2.

CSR: Let me place you on hold to see if you qualify.

CSR: Did he retired or did he merely serve and was dischared? If he retired, you are eligible even if he is deceased.

Me: I know one received honorable discharge, I will have to check on the other after digging up the records and get back to you.

CSR: Ok, if the other did in fact retire, we can open an account for you.

Your grandparents almost certainly received some VA benefits. The GI Bill was a VA benefit.

I think the crux was "is he receiving benefits currently", and he is not since he is deceased.

I do have a friend that I lived with that is a memeber / was in the Navy. I am just go that route.

tjguitar85 said:   haloseven said:   My mother is a civilian DoD employee. She won't sign up so I can piggyback off her, is there a way to do it without her getting an account? She had an account there years ago but closed it and doesn't want to reopen another, but will help me as best she can to get us in otherwise.

It should be even easier for you to join. They can probably look up her access number if you give them her name.

I called, they dont let you unless they are already a member. She won't have an access number unless she's a member

Offer expired August 23.

I get paid direct deposit from PayPal and I'm on NFCU. The thing is it takes three or four days, but I think this is true with just about any bank.  There's not a fee either, which is another plus since PayPal takes a fee already.

haloseven said:   
tjguitar85 said:   

I called, they dont let you unless they are already a member. She won't have an access number unless she's a member

You can join if your relative is a civilian DOD member.    I did.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014