• Text Only
gasaver said:   Apparently the folks in GA don't know about these laws against servicing the bait traps yourself... There is a store right off I-85 in Atlanta that anyone can stop in to buy their own bait stations and bait sticks. You can also buy all sorts of other pro grade pesticides for insect control.
http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/crawling-insects/termite-c...

While I 100% agree that the idea that the US Marshals are going to show up and haul someone away in handcuffs for a stint in Federal prison for refilling these termite baits is absurd, I was surprised that they're selling these, since the baits are diflubenzuron, which is a restricted use pesticide, and the bait label does say "For Professional Use Only by Individuals Licensed by the State to Apply Termiticides."

Deleted

gasaver said:   Apparently the folks in GA don't know about these laws against servicing the bait traps yourself... There is a store right off I-85 in Atlanta that anyone can stop in to buy their own bait stations and bait sticks. You can also buy all sorts of other pro grade pesticides for insect control.

If you bothered to look a the chemical dispensed it is Diflubenzuron which is about as toxic as hair spray. It is approved for general application. It is not one you are going to treat with if you need termite treatment before sale of realestate. Everythign else is rodenticide or other chemcials not for termites. Diflubenzuron is carried at Home Depot and Lowes if you know where to look. Advanced uses Termidor which won't be available from you local hardware store. "A Termidor® termiticide/insecticide application can only be performed by a licensed pest control professional. Users must always read and follow label directions.

All products or logos denoted with ™ or ® are trademarks or registered trademarks of BASF Corporation. http://www.termidorhome.com/

That is the reason OP would wind up with his butt in a sling. From the label "For use by individuals/firms licensed or registered by the state to apply termiticide products." www.pestsupplystore.com/Pesticides/Labels/Termidor-SC-Label.pdf

Gasaver doesn't look like you ever had an organci chemistry class or you would understand the difference.

This appears to be the Georgia statute that is currently on file with the EPA:

(b) Certified pesticide applicator licenses.
(1) Certified private applicator's license.
(A) Required; competency. No individual shall purchase, use, or supervise the use of any pesticide as a private applicator unless he is licensed as a certified private applicator or is acting under the direct supervision of an individual who is licensed as a certified private applicator. The Commissioner shall require the applicant to demonstrate his competency to apply "restricted use pesticides" safely, effectively, and in such a manner as to prevent any unreasonable adverse effects on the environment. Such determination of competency shall be made on the basis of standards and procedures approved by the Environmental Protection Agency in the "Georgia Plan for Certification of Pesticide Applicators...

(a) Any licensed or unlicensed person shall be subject to prosecution or civil injunctive action for committing any of the following acts, each of which is declared unlawful; and additionally, if an applicant or the holder of any license, permit, or certification is found by the Commissioner to have committed any of the following acts, or is subject to a final order imposing a civil penalty pursuant to Section 14 of FIFRA, the Commissioner may suspend any such license, permit, or certification, pending inquiry, for not longer than ten days, and, after opportunity for a hearing, may deny, suspend, or revoke such license, permit, or certification, or modify any provision thereof:...

(12) Aided or abetted a licensed or an unlicensed person to evade the provisions of this article, conspired with such a licensed or an unlicensed person to evade the provisions of this article, or allowed one's license, permit, or certification to be used by another person;

Op's butt is in a sling as soon as he failed to call Arrow to com3e remove the stuff within the period required by the Ga Commisioner Ga Agriculture.

Well, this was a fun thread for the first 2 pages.

nsdp said:   

If you bothered to look a the chemical dispensed it is Diflubenzuron which is about as toxic as hair spray. It is approved for general application. It is not one you are going to treat with if you need termite treatment before sale of realestate. Everythign else is rodenticide or other chemcials not for termites. Diflubenzuron is carried at Home Depot and Lowes if you know where to look. Advanced uses Termidor which won't be available from you local hardware store. "A Termidor® termiticide/insecticide application can only be performed by a licensed pest control professional. Users must always read and follow label directions.

All products or logos denoted with ™ or ® are trademarks or registered trademarks of BASF Corporation. http://www.termidorhome.com/ 

That is the reason OP would wind up with his butt in a sling. From the label "For use by individuals/firms licensed or registered by the state to apply termiticide products." www.pestsupplystore.com/Pesticides/Labels/Termidor-SC-Label.pdf 

Gasaver doesn't look like you ever had an organci chemistry class or you would understand the difference.

Op's butt is in a sling as soon as he failed to call Arrow to com3e remove the stuff within the period required by the Ga Commisioner Ga Agriculture.

So, NSDP's argument is that OP's "butt would be in a sling" because the Advance (not Advanced) units contain Termidor, which is only "For use by individuals/firms licensed or registered by the state to apply termiticide products," while the stuff being sold online contains Diflubenzeron, which is "only as toxic as hair spray [and] approved for general application."  

That's very interesting, because the Advance baits contain ONLY diflubenzeron, and their label has the SAME WARNING as the Termidor label: "For Professional Use Only by Individuals Licensed by the State to Apply Termiticides."

So, nsdp, if you're buying diflubenzuron at "Home Depot and Lowes," you better watch out, the US Marshals are on their way to you right after they stop off at the OP's place.  Maybe you can be cellmates in Kansas.

IIRC, Sentricon uses untreated wood in the stations until termites are actually detected, then the bait is actually added. This is because the bait decomposes rapidly and it would be wasteful to keep adding bait to inactive stations. Thus, this whole EPA/chemical discussion is moot because there probably were no chemicals in the stations in OP's lawn.

ETA: confirmed by U of Kentucky

nsdp said:   

I've heard as soon as you place an order for this stuff they send the EPA police to your house....be careful!    www.amazon.com/Taurus-SC-9-1-Fipronil-Termidor/dp/B0058DGMKG

doveroftke said:   IIRC, Sentricon uses untreated wood in the stations until termites are actually detected, then the bait is actually added. This is because the bait decomposes rapidly and it would be wasteful to keep adding bait to inactive stations. Thus, this whole EPA/chemical discussion is moot because there probably were no chemicals in the stations in OP's lawn.

Which implies that monitoring should be much more frequent than annually.
BTW, did OP ever confirm that they only checked the bait once a year?

I thought I'd heard about all the different internet police departments. I've seen the grammar police in full assault but now I find out about the EPA police. Guess I better start recycling before they get me.

taxmantoo said:   
doveroftke said:   IIRC, Sentricon uses untreated wood in the stations until termites are actually detected, then the bait is actually added. This is because the bait decomposes rapidly and it would be wasteful to keep adding bait to inactive stations. Thus, this whole EPA/chemical discussion is moot because there probably were no chemicals in the stations in OP's lawn.

Which implies that monitoring should be much more frequent than annually.
BTW, did OP ever confirm that they only checked the bait once a year?

If they just checked the wood every year, they probably never added any bait. 

DjScibbity said:   Well Said SIS,
I have contacted Kevin and am in talks with Arrow currently. Police report was also filed with proper documentation. I appreciate everyone's interest and comments.

Updates, OP?  Don't leave us hanging!

civ2k1 said:   DjScibbity said:   Well Said SIS,
I have contacted Kevin and am in talks with Arrow currently. Police report was also filed with proper documentation. I appreciate everyone's interest and comments.

Federal prisoners don't have access to the internet. The marshals must have picked him up already.

caterpillar123 said:   
civ2k1 said:   

Federal prisoners don't have access to the internet. The marshals must have picked him up already.

He is most likely in that high security EPA prison down in Guantanamo Bay by now. 

Waterboarding should teach him not to mess with those things any more. 

He was exterminated by Arrow.

Arrow's giving his everything he wants - along with a non-disclosure document he has to sign (finally a deal he will have paperwork on).  We'll never hear from him again.

civ2k1 said:   

The only reply from OP will be "I was contacted and offered a settlement that we both agreed to and I can't discuss it."

saladdin said:   
civ2k1 said:   

The only reply from OP will be "I was contacted and offered a settlement that we both agreed to and I can't discuss it."

Which translates to:  "I caved and am ashamed to admit it!"  

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014