• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
i have an investment property (condo) with 2 dedicated parking spaces. one is vacant, the other has an abandoned vehicle in it. truck's been there a long time, according to former tenants. no tags, WAY expired brake tag (aka inspection sticker)...what is my recourse for getting rid of it?

tow companies don't seem to have an interest in towing it, i honestly dont know why - perhaps because they will have to store it while they conduct the process for getting it titled? the local salvage place will give me $200 to give them a bill of sale and they will tow it away. i dont want the money, but more importantly, i dont want to open myself up to a fraud situation because i dont [think i?] own this vehicle.

state is Louisiana if that matters...i just want the damn thing gone. should i keep calling all the tow places? is there something i am missing in all this?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
That's how I got a new garage door, jsut ask the wife.
Now we leave it in gear....

woowoo2 (Aug. 21, 2013 @ 11:17a) |

solarUS,
Any updates?

Looking4morecents (Sep. 02, 2013 @ 10:12a) |

If you apply the parking brake securely before you let off the clutch and service brake you won't load the transmission ... (more)

IMBoring25 (Sep. 02, 2013 @ 11:08a) |

  • Also categorized in:

Did you tell the tow companies that it was abandoned? If so, I am sure that's why they don't want it (after all, their only real leverage is that people want the vehicle they are holding onto). I would of just reported it as "someone is parked in my dedicated space, please tow it" and said nothing about the tags, length of stay there, etc.

call the police and report it as abandon on your property

By law, unsolicited packages are legally defined as free gifts.

skh12 said:   call the police and report it as abandon on your property

That's the correct answer.

skh12 said:   call the police and report it as abandon on your property

Yup police will tag it and after a short time frame like 7 days or so you can tow it to salvage.

solarUS said:   i have an investment property (condo) with 2 dedicated parking spaces. one is vacant, the other has an abandoned vehicle in it. truck's been there a long time, according to former tenants. no tags, WAY expired brake tag (aka inspection sticker)...what is my recourse for getting rid of it?

tow companies don't seem to have an interest in towing it, i honestly dont know why - perhaps because they will have to store it while they conduct the process for getting it titled? the local salvage place will give me $200 to give them a bill of sale and they will tow it away. i dont want the money, but more importantly, i dont want to open myself up to a fraud situation because i dont [think i?] own this vehicle.

state is Louisiana if that matters...i just want the damn thing gone. should i keep calling all the tow places? is there something i am missing in all this?


How often do you visit the property?
Why don't you call the Office of Motor Vehicles, give them the VIN number, and find out who owns the truck? They might be able to link the name to a current address if the owner has other vehicles registered in the state.

I agree with calling the police. For all you know it may be stolen or involved in some sort of crime and may prove to be a missing piece of a cold case for them (am I watching too many crime shows to be thinking this way )

Just to note OP this sounds like the type of thing that is highly dependent on local laws. I would be very wary of any advice in this forum which tend to be people's opinion rather than legally correct.


Some states allow you to claim if it is abandoned on your property long enough. Long story, but I claimed a $40k BMW that was left "abandoned" on my property by BMW Financial Services.

vipercon said:   Some states allow you to claim if it is abandoned on your property long enough. Long story, but I claimed a $40k BMW that was left "abandoned" on my property by BMW Financial Services.

I would love to hear the long story.

The parking spaces for your condo are not your property anyways. Isnt there a tow company that the HOA/etc uses ?

Alcibiades said:   The parking spaces for your condo are not your property anyways.
In some states he can change that using squatters laws. If you use a "common area" for a number of years (20 in the case I'm aware of), and no one else in the building uses that space, you can make it yours just by filing a paper. I don't know about parking spots in particular, but I've seen this happen with fenced off patios (which probably should have been part of the condo in the first place).

Obviously if the parking spot is designated, it would be difficult for any challenger to prove that other tenants in the building have used the space without anticipating in advance that you're going to do this, and photograph their own (illegally parked) car.

push it onto the side of the roadway. Someone will tow it after a while.

Call the police wait the time, sell it for scrap and go out and have a great dinner for your efforts.

The simple answer is to drag it into your neighbor's dedicated spot and let them deal with it.

The complex answer:

Start a parking service. Charge $50/day. Advertise this rate. Take daily photos. Create invoices with the plate number.

DMV probably will not reveal the owner without court order. So let the invoices build until you are owed $500-1k. Then start a small claim against "John Doe", and use the courts discovery process to order DMV to release the owners name and address. Then amend the claim to have the defendants real name, and then serve them.

Me too!

Push it to the middle of the street, grab a cold one...sit back and wait till the PO PO rolls up. It'll be towed away in no time.

This kind of happened to me in MN. Bad tenant, eviction, they left a pickup in the driveway that wouldn't run. My attorney said to prepare a notice that the vehicle must be removed within 14(or 21?) days, post it on the vehicle and on the door of the house (the tenants obviously didn't leave a forwarding address). This was in the middle of winter and I got lucky because one day when I was working at the vacant rental house, someone showed up claiming to have the rights to the vehicle. Apparently the tenant took out a title loan and now they wanted to take the vehicle. Lucky me, it was covered with a foot of snow and I said they if they wanted it they would have to shovel it out and take it with all the trash that was in the back of the pickup... They took it away. Last thing I needed was some legal dispute with an evicted tenant.

Donate it. They'll send their own tow truck for it.

http://www.donateacar.com/

Simplest: convert the truck into a food or ice scream stall

Many eons ago I had a similar problem. I called a private tow company and said someone was illegally parked in my spot. They "made notice" to the cops and came by 72 hours later and towed it away. Otherwise, I wonder how you would react if this car was abandoned in your driveway or parking space you actually are trying to use.

Hire some Germans to convert it to a pool

jimates said:   push it onto the side of the roadway. Someone will tow it after a while.

LOL

Buys2Much said:   Donate it. They'll send their own tow truck for it.

http://www.donateacar.com/


They will if you can sign the title for it over to them.

If this is a condo, I'm assuming they have some sort of HOA or condo board. Does the board have a contract with a towing company? If someone illegally parked in a resident's space, what would they do?

Sell it to a chop shop?

Fill it with chocolate milk!

FriendlyPeon said:   skh12 said:   call the police and report it as abandon on your property

That's the correct answer.


Unless this is Jeopardy.

What is, call the police and report it as abandon on your property?

Diapers for $500, Alex.

bonghead said:   Alcibiades said:   The parking spaces for your condo are not your property anyways.
In some states he can change that using squatters laws. If you use a "common area" for a number of years (20 in the case I'm aware of), and no one else in the building uses that space, you can make it yours just by filing a paper. I don't know about parking spots in particular, but I've seen this happen with fenced off patios (which probably should have been part of the condo in the first place).


Slightly OT: what's the term for this (claiming property by squatting)? I remember seeing a thread or two on this, but I can't remember the legal term for it.

aznshadoboy77 said:   bonghead said:   Alcibiades said:   The parking spaces for your condo are not your property anyways.
In some states he can change that using squatters laws. If you use a "common area" for a number of years (20 in the case I'm aware of), and no one else in the building uses that space, you can make it yours just by filing a paper. I don't know about parking spots in particular, but I've seen this happen with fenced off patios (which probably should have been part of the condo in the first place).


Slightly OT: what's the term for this (claiming property by squatting)? I remember seeing a thread or two on this, but I can't remember the legal term for it.

I believe you are talking about adverse possession.

Check with the BMV, here in Indiana you would file a mechanics lean...own it in 60-90 days and then you have rights to the title to sell or do what you want with the vehicle.

http://www.in.gov/bmv/files/Mechanics_Lien_Packet.pdf

You know it's going to be funny when OP finds out it's one of his neighbors who's been parking in that spot for YEARS and no one has ever complained...until OP tows the car

Donate it to charity, they will tow it away for you for free.

Is it repairable? If so, find a way to take possession, repair it and sell it.

If this is accurate you have to call the police:

Text

AcidSpectrum said:   If this is accurate you have to call the police:

Text


I suspect that's for vehicles abandoned on the road.

Skipping 43 Messages...
blueiedgod said:   
That would suck, as I prefer to let the parking brake do its job, than transmission used as a parking brake. I always park my car in neutral, and use the parking brake. On RARE occasions when I am parked on a steep hill, I will use the 1st gear, not reverse, though. I have seen people with locked reverse gear because the reverse lock out mecanisms jammed when the weight of the car was transferred to the transmission, and the car had to be pushed up hill a bit to release the gear (Maxima 6 spd).

But most of the times I am parked on a steep hill, I turn the wheels towards or away from the curb, depending on the incline or decline, so that if the parking brake fails, the wheels are chocked by the curb.
 

  
If you apply the parking brake securely before you let off the clutch and service brake you won't load the transmission or risk binding it up.  It's technically less secure than holding the vehicle with the transmission (because, if the parking brake fails, the vehicle can build some momentum before the engine's compression starts doing its job and it may be enough momentum to overcome the compression), but it's many times more secure than what you're doing now.

On a steep hill if you don't rest the tire against the curb you run the risk of the car building up enough momentum before it hits the curb to pop the curb and keep going.

On ground that's not steeply sloped I typically use third to keep from loading the centering springs every day but having only one system holding the vehicle in place at all is asking for trouble.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014