• filter:
  • Go to page :
  • 123 4
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I'm tempted to try the CashBack50 link even though I received the following link:

DiscoverBank.com/Checking25 The account needs $25 minimum opened by 1/31/14. The bonus will be issued by 3/14/14. (the mailing was this sorta strange large extremely flat mailing that mentioned the $25 on the outside)

rated:
Hmm the Checking25 links etc never show any bonus when I go straight to that URL, and discover hasn't made me any checking CashBack promo letters

I might call them and see if there is any bonus going on, and if I can get it.

rated:
The link on my "FREE checking plus a $50 bonus" offer was a little different. DiscoverBank.com/50Free Questions call 1-888-204-8987

Offer states:
" Open an account by 1/31/14 and get a $50 account opening bonus. This exclusive cardmember offer is only available for Discover card ending in XXXX. To receive this offer, open your account online at DiscoverBank.com/50Free "

$25 minimum opening deposit. No monthly minimum. $.10 CashBack Bonus on Debit Card purchases, Online Bill Pay and Check Written. CashBack bonus is added monthly to your Discover CashBack Bonus.

The screen the link took me to gave no indication of the $50 promo until I worked through the sign up screens. One of the "I agree" screens then displayed the $50 promo.

DiscoverBank.com/50Free

rated:
I was just curious...i recently opened a Discover CashBack Checking account and am awaiting my debit card and pin...
Two Questions:
1) Once you receive and activate the debit card, do you have to wait until you receive the random pin number in the mail before you can change the pin number?

2) When you check your balance at an atm machine, does it shows both Account Balance and Available Balance (assuming the atm you are using permits that) or
do you only see the Available Balance?
Thanks...

rated:
How do I change my Personal Identification Number (PIN) for my debit card?
Your initial 4-digit PIN will be mailed to you separately from your debit card. Once you receive your PIN, you can change it online in the Account Center or by using our automated system at 1-800-347-7000.

There's a spot in the online system that asks for what your card number is. I don't think it requires knowing your current pin to create a new one.

rated:
Thanks, ChefJoe...so then i might be able to change it online without actually knowing what the random pin is...i will check it after i get and activate the card...
If you or anyone else here that actively uses the debit card at atms can answer my other question about the balances as the atm machine, would appreciate it...

I know not all atms will permit display of both balances, but many do...so i was just wondering if Discover has the debit card set up to display both balances at atms or only the available balance...

rated:
SIAP just a quick note, they're quick to pull the trigger on 0 balance account closings. Was bonus hunting here & neglected to keep up with maintaining a token balance & got the closure. Screw em.

rated:
Follow up: I received my debit card for this account in the mail and activated (which you can do on the automated system or in your account online) However, you can NOT select a new pin without first entering your old pin (whether you use the automated system or do it inside your online account access) so, i have to wait until get the random pin before changing it...

They use Checkfree for the bill pay which is great...i make easy and fast transfers to it from my online savings and free atm access is excellent with the over 60,000 moneypass and allpoint atm coverage...also i find their website and online access is really nice and customer service both efficient, friendly and really excellent...it inspired me to get the credit card as well, so it all makes a really nice package!  (Checking, High Yield Savings and Credit Card)...

rated:
Can you do ACH push and pull with this account? If so, is it fast (2-3 days) or slow (5-6 days) to complete?

rated:
No hard pull showed up for me!

rated:
CardinalDeal said:   Can you do ACH push and pull with this account? If so, is it fast (2-3 days) or slow (5-6 days) to complete?

Yes you can and It's 3 days on the transfers, either direction, originating from their site...the funds are available on the third business day...but not for the initial deposit ach pull in from another bank (the one you use to make the first deposit) that one (and only that one) takes 7 days to complete and be available...

So, normally, it's pretty good...I like the entire set up...CashBack Checking, Online Savings, and the Credit Card as well...
If you have the Online Savings account you can transfer instantly into the Checking (or from Checking to Savings)...just can't use it for the initial deposit...

rated:
Thanks, 3 days for ACH is pretty good. I think only Fidelity does it faster, and maybe USAA but that's still good. Looks like I missed on the $50 bonus, but seems like a good account to have, so I might go ahead and do it.

rated:
If it makes you feel any better, i missed the $50 bonus too...but after opening the nice high yield savings, i liked what this checking product offered and it inspired me to get the credit card and then open the checking as well...it all makes for a very nice package...enjoy...

rated:
Received my $50 bonus today (3/12).

rated:
PuckMan93 said:   Received my $50 bonus today (3/12).
  Me too, although for some reason the transaction history shows them adding the credit, then running a debit of the same amount to remove it, then adding it back.  I didn't do anything other than sign up and put $100 in the account.

rated:
Weird, same thing happened w/ mine. Oh well, got to the same place.

rated:
Do they do a chex system inquiry? I assume no public offers? Did everybody who was targeted have a discover it card?

rated:
craig10x said:   
CardinalDeal said:   Can you do ACH push and pull with this account? If so, is it fast (2-3 days) or slow (5-6 days) to complete?

Yes you can and It's 3 days on the transfers, either direction, originating from their site...the funds are available on the third business day...but not for the initial deposit ach pull in from another bank (the one you use to make the first deposit) that one (and only that one) takes 7 days to complete and be available...

So, normally, it's pretty good...I like the entire set up...CashBack Checking, Online Savings, and the Credit Card as well...
If you have the Online Savings account you can transfer instantly into the Checking (or from Checking to Savings)...just can't use it for the initial deposit...

Hello Craig, 
You may not remember, but I still remember your solid review of the Charles Schwab High Yield Investor Checking back around 2007-08 that convinced me to sign up for that.  Interest rates have plummeted since then, but it had a good run.  Nice to see that you are still in the game and putting out good reviews.  

rated:
Hi urtpiz...thanks...yes, i remember you...good to see you are still on here! Yes, we did have a good run with the Investor Checking account...the Discover CashBack checking has become my favorite checking account even though it pays no interest (just CashBack for the discover card)...i like the set up with the checkfree bill pay and moneypass/allpoint free atms...i also like the online banking and have the high yield savings with it...

@doctorofcredit: not sure about the chex system inquiry but if you have other bank accounts with discover, probably not..to get the checking right now, you have to have a discover it card...but later this year they are rolling the checking out to even those who have no discover credit cards...i was only able to get it now because i did get a new discover card...but i missed the $50 bonus on this...but i am getting the $150 bonus (for spending a total of $750 in the first 3 months) for opening the credit card...

rated:
How do you think Discover rates with Ally? I've been expanding my use of Ally a little bit lately. And I seem to remember the talk about Fidelity around the time of Charles Schwab talk picking up steam. I have a 401K, credit card, and cash management account with them, but for the most part it has not been utilized.

rated:
I had Ally at one time...they were ok but somehow i seem to like Discover Bank better...like the online banking better then Ally and the customer service (100% american...no outsourced) is outstanding and very efficient...they impressed me from the start...i started only with the online savings to try them out (liked the rate) but then quickly expanded to opening the credit card (the bonus was a nice incentive) and finally to add the CashBack checking...in the future, i may even add a cd as well...

rated:
FYI (I wasn't sure which of the 3 threads to put this in)

Thank you for choosing a Discover CashBack CheckingSM account. We will be making some changes on July 1, 2014 that will make it easier to track your rewards activity in your CashBack Checking account.

- Your Checking CashBack Bonus rewards earned starting July 1, 2014 will now be separate from your Discover Card CashBack Bonus. To combine rewards, you will be able to transfer your Checking CashBack Bonus to your Discover Card CashBack Bonus in increments of $20. Any rewards earned prior to July 1, 2014 will remain in your Discover Card CashBack Bonus Account.

- You will be able to access your Checking CashBack Bonus balance and activity, as well as redeem or transfer your rewards online at DiscoverBank.com.

- A summary of your rewards activity will also be included on your monthly CashBack Checking statement.

- You may earn Checking CashBack Bonus rewards for debit card purchases, Online Bill Pay transactions initiated at DiscoverBank.com and checks up to 100 transactions per month.

- At DiscoverBank.com, you may redeem your Checking CashBack Bonus for:
• Cash in the form of a credit to your CashBack Checking Account – in $20 increments.
• A transfer to a Discover Credit Card CashBack Bonus – in $20 increments.

just in case...

rated:
Got the same email, and am not happy with the change. $20 increment kind of sucks.

rated:
I guess at least the official limit ( 100 ) lets you know how much transaction churn they deem "reasonable" now.

rated:
100 x 0.1....$10 a month?

rated:
The reason why they are making the change is because CashBack checking is going to be available to all discover bank users...not just those who also have the discover card...so they had to separate it like that...this way, those that do not have the discover credit card will still have an opportunity to get Cash Back from the transactions...this starts on July 1st, so i would imagine that means that the CashBack checking will be available on the discover bank website for everyone around that time...they did say they were phasing that in this year...

rated:
I have done a few billpay on Discover Checking, but i am not seeing the 10 cents Cash Back in my May statement.  Where do you track on how much Cash Back you receive from the bonus program?
is there a requirement about it has to be larger than X dollars to be eligible for Cash Back bonus?

rated:
until june something, the CashBack will show up in the credit card rewards....after june something, it'll be normal(?) interest in bank account...that can be redeemed in $20 increments

rated:
UnixLab said:   I have done a few billpay on Discover Checking, but i am not seeing the 10 cents Cash Back in my May statement.  Where do you track on how much Cash Back you receive from the bonus program?
is there a requirement about it has to be larger than X dollars to be eligible for Cash Back bonus?

If you initiated the billpay from Discover online Billpay tab, you will receive 10 cents each billpay, no minimum dollar requirement for CashBack eligibility, but billpay has a requirement of $1 minimum, the bonus will show up in Discover card's 2nd statement after your checking's closing/statement date, which you will see your bonus in June statement of your discover card. Then a new change is coming in July, lol.

rated:
Thanks for the answers.

rated:
Can you have more than one checking account?

Does this bank work with Quicken Direct Connect?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014