• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I got a new card from Discover in the mail today.  When I called to question them, they said their systems werent comprimised but a merchants system where I have shopped at.  They wouldnt say which merchant so there may be other information that has been compromised.  The supervisor said they have recieved a lot of calls about this today so its probably a chain/online and not a local merchant.

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

they did it to me last year. I wish they'd keep the # and just change CVV /Exp. Dates instead...

I think it is ridiculous that a company could get hacked, report it to the card company and we can never find out what company screwed up.

tennis8363 said:   I think it is ridiculous that a company could get hacked, report it to the card company and we can never find out what company screwed up.
  +1

Got a new Penfed card last week followed 2 days later by a similar an un-named merchant screwed up letter.

At least the vendor caught the screw up and Visa/Penfed took action. That beats last time. Then I had to tell them the gas station card reader was hacked and my account number stolen.

bugged said:   Got a new Penfed card last week followed 2 days later by a similar an un-named merchant screwed up letter.

At least the vendor caught the screw up and Visa/Penfed took action. That beats last time. Then I had to tell them the gas station card reader was hacked and my account number stolen.

  
Did you figure out which the merchant had the problem?  With a two day old card that narrows down the possibilities by quite a bit. 

NEDeals said:   bugged said:   Got a new Penfed card last week followed 2 days later by a similar an un-named merchant screwed up letter.

At least the vendor caught the screw up and Visa/Penfed took action. That beats last time. Then I had to tell them the gas station card reader was hacked and my account number stolen.

  
Did you figure out which the merchant had the problem?  With a two day old card that narrows down the possibilities by quite a bit. 
  

To clarify, last week I got a new card. Two days later I got the letter saying a new card was in the mail. I was trying to point out how Visa was faster than Penfed in informing me of the problem.

The prior time I was indeed able to pinpoint exactly which gas station had been hacked. I called Penfed and Visa and told them. While they agreed to send me a new card they were totally not interested in investigating any further. Same for the gas station. I have yet to go back there.

Same exact thing happened to me with Citibank AND Bank of America around June. Only found out when I was denied at at POS terminal. Also wrecked havoc with my automated bill pay. I was most pissed that they didn't even give me a courtesy call that the card was being replaced and my current cards were canceled.

It has happened with my Discover too. Also didn't tell me what merchant it was. I do think the consumer should get to know.

A few months back my Amex got picked up by someone online. Used it for a number of small transactions at some odd places (Microsoft Store was one I think) before starting to use some sort of money sending service. Amex contacted me due to the high level of online activity overnight and had actually started denying the charges. I told them the last time I used it and they said a new card was on the way and not to worry about the other hits on the card. Still wonder how the number was compromised, or more accurately, what database got hacked. I rarely use shady sites, so I don't think I was scammed that way. When I do, I've used Discover one-time use numbers.

Discover sent me a new card after buying gift cards late at night, to get the 5% CashBack bonus for home improvement stores before the deadline of course. But the purchase was denied and a new card arrived the week later. Interestingly, the new card had the same number but a new expiration month. The security code is a function of the card number and the expiration date (and a secret key), so that changed too.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.