• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I was reading this on another forum, thought it would go well here. What I like about it is no personal information, no credit card numbers and it says it keeps up with current offers. Anyone use this?  
http://www.imore.com/reward-summit-ios-helps-you-choose-what-credit-card-use-maximize-points-and-rewards

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I have yet to find a good shopping list app. I keep going back to Post Its for that too. It's just so much easier.

scripta (Aug. 28, 2013 @ 4:43p) |

Is this really any different or better/worse than Wallaby? (I just do it all by memory and have never had a problem).

autumnmist (Aug. 28, 2013 @ 5:58p) |

I have zero trouble deciding which card to use for the bulk of my purchases, Gas, Grocery and Drugstore

myndreamland (Aug. 28, 2013 @ 6:08p) |

Thanks OP I'll give it a try

I've been surprised an app like this wasn't created sooner.

Also wish Android and iOS updates appeared to be on the same cycle. (iOS is way ahead)

I guess there's a big update coming Thursday, improved UI and less crashing.

I'm trying it out, but it's not quite smart enough at this point. The categories of spending, especially online, are not specific enough to give me good advice.

I'd also check out Wallaby - Best Credit Card, available on the Google Store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=by.walla.wallaby It is basically the same thing. I don't have a link for the iOS version but I'm sure you can find it.

Tried Reward Summit, all I get is an error message every time I try to use it.

Seems like they should have waited for the "big update" before advertising so heavily.

New app should be out sometime this week, completely revamped and addresses all of the crashing issues.

Is there no way to pull shitty apps from the store if you determine they're not ready for prime time? Not that I don't love wasting my time downloading, installing, and trying apps that don't work..

The best app for this is called a Post-It Note. You stick it in your wallet. But you have to update it yourself when your rewards categories change. If you don't have a wallet, there's an amazing Windows app called Notepad. Similar apps are usually included for free on all other platforms and devices. Added bonus -- no ads! No unnecessary data usage! And nobody has to know what's in your wallet!

Unless you carry 10 cards with you, it's probably much faster and easier to look up a CC by category using your own notes than using any other method or app.

Someone prove me wrong. Please.

I must say after 10 minutes in this app, it sucks. I added a few cards and some of them appear as the correct issuer but wrong product in my "Wallet." I clicked on a nearby restaurant and it recommended using my Blue Cash Preferred for 6%. My Forward was listed as 1%. I was just testing it for my own knowledge (to recommend to friends who don't know "how anyone could keep up with all that") but this doesn't look like the answer.

The app developers seem responsive, and I'm hopeful they will fix the (frequent) crashes. I have an old 5% card that wasn'tlisted, and the developer was quick to return my email. I'm assuming that the "value" of this app may come from the local deals.

I'm not seeing completely accurate rewards for cards such as the forward, though this may be just me. My bigger issue is that it just seems infinitely easier to mentally keep track of my rewards cards and what each is for. This seems like second nature for a true FWF user. For significant others, or those for on this is too difficult. A simple sticky on each card can be very effective to list rewards and where to use the card.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience; I am one of the co-founders of Reward Summit.  The version that was posted on the listed blog was a beta version of our product and has some serious flaws in it. We have what I will call an industrial strength version coming out on Thursday of this week and I hope you'll give it a try.  We hired a world class designer and interviewed literally hundreds of our beta users to address their concerns and to add useful features.  My co-founder and I are avid rewards junkies (and love Fat Wallet btw) and are working very hard to make sure we bring the best product to market possible.  We also are launching a set of browser plugins that will assist when you are shopping online.  I sincerely hope you'll give our new app a shot, and if you have concerns please email me at john at rewardsummit dot com.  We love constructive feedback, no matter how critical it may be.

Very good point on advertising.  We have intentionally held off on advertising before the launch, but it's hard to keep tabs on when everyone decides to write about us.  

For what it's worth, we recently fixed the bug in the beta version that was causing the crashing that I think you're describing.  I apologize to everyone who has had a bad experience; we welcome all feedback and will make the product better.

Thanks for your post.  We think we fixed the crashing issue you mentioned.  It was definitely a bug and only manifested itself under the extreme load the recent press has caused.  Not making excuses here, but just so everyone knows that we take the product seriously and know what we're doing--we decided to shift our focus a few months ago to the new version.  It is faster, easier to use, and beautiful.  Once we found out about the blog post on imore, we had to scramble to fix a bunch of things that were not problems with our smaller beta group.

All that said, I'd love to give you a test run of our new app ahead of time before our Thursday launch.  If you can email me at john at rewardsummit dot com I will gladly give you a promo code so you can take it for a spin.  Also if you see cards that are incorrectly categorized I will gladly fix them.  We work really hard on getting them right but we've definitely seen a few mistakes.

scripta said:   The best app for this is called a Post-It Note. You stick it in your wallet. But you have to update it yourself when your rewards categories change. If you don't have a wallet, there's an amazing Windows app called Notepad. Similar apps are usually included for free on all other platforms and devices. Added bonus -- no ads! No unnecessary data usage! And nobody has to know what's in your wallet!

Unless you carry 10 cards with you, it's probably much faster and easier to look up a CC by category using your own notes than using any other method or app.

While I typically just use one credit card for the sake of simplicity (PenFed), I do see where this could be useful.  My Citi AA card recently had a promotion where I would get 3miles per $1 on restaurants, groceries and 'all other shopping' up to $2,500 spent.  Now, it's easy for me to remember something like that, but I did mess up by spending more than $2,500 at which point it reset back to 1mile per $1.  In that case, I should have used the PenFed.

I'll be retiring the PenFed soon and going with others that offer rotating 5% categories, and I think this will be helpful ESPECIALLY for my wife who doesn't chase  1-4% Cash Back like I do.

I think the FWF group for the most part doesn't really need this app, but FWF is not a very good representation of the general population in terms of financial habits and spending.

scripta said:   The best app for this is called a Post-It Note. You stick it in your wallet. But you have to update it yourself when your rewards categories change. If you don't have a wallet, there's an amazing Windows app called Notepad. Similar apps are usually included for free on all other platforms and devices. Added bonus -- no ads! No unnecessary data usage! And nobody has to know what's in your wallet!

I take a small stripe of a white sticker, write the categories in small print, and stick it to the edge of the card.  So when I pull it out, I see what categories right away.  Much easier than unlocking phone, opening app, waiting for it to find spots nearby, etc.

dpid said:   

I take a small stripe of a white sticker, write the categories in small print, and stick it to the edge of the card.  So when I pull it out, I see what categories right away.  Much easier than unlocking phone, opening app, waiting for it to find spots nearby, etc.

That's exactly what I do for my SO. " A simple sticky on each card can be very effective to list rewards and where to use the card." While I have no problem remembering which car to use, some may, especially for cards like freedom with rotating categories.

john5421 said:   I'm sorry you had a bad experience; I am one of the co-founders of Reward Summit.  The version that was posted on the listed blog was a beta version of our product and has some serious flaws in it. We have what I will call an industrial strength version coming out on Thursday of this week and I hope you'll give it a try.  We hired a world class designer and interviewed literally hundreds of our beta users to address their concerns and to add useful features.  My co-founder and I are avid rewards junkies (and love Fat Wallet btw) and are working very hard to make sure we bring the best product to market possible.  We also are launching a set of browser plugins that will assist when you are shopping online.  I sincerely hope you'll give our new app a shot, and if you have concerns please email me at john at rewardsummit dot com.  We love constructive feedback, no matter how critical it may be.
Must have been love at first sight.
john5421 - Joined On: Tuesday, August 27th 2013 9:58 AM

skooba said:   While I typically just use one credit card for the sake of simplicity (PenFed), I do see where this could be useful.  My Citi AA card recently had a promotion where I would get 3miles per $1 on restaurants, groceries and 'all other shopping' up to $2,500 spent.  Now, it's easy for me to remember something like that, but I did mess up by spending more than $2,500 at which point it reset back to 1mile per $1.  In that case, I should have used the PenFed.

I think the FWF group for the most part doesn't really need this app, but FWF is not a very good representation of the general population in terms of financial habits and spending.
The app is not going to know about your Citi AA promotion, most likely because it's personalized. You'll have to write it down and keep track of your $2500 no matter what.

NOBODY needs this app, financially literate or not. It will take more time to look this up on the phone than on a piece of paper. Plus an app could NEVER fully cover the spectrum of rewards, because rewards on the same exact product can change at different times for different users, and some temporary promotions are completely individualized. Even if they allow you to customize this, you'll have to input all this information into the app yourself. Might as well write it down on a Post It Note.

While I, myself, use the same "write it down" method as scripta, I can see how some people might prefer to "have an app for that".
The power of the app approach becomes apparent (hehe) when it also becomes a conduit for special offers and coupons, perhaps even interfaces with a price-checker.

Glad to see US innovation is still alive

I think the post-it method can work for many people. I mean, outside of rotating categories which not all cards have and which are only changing quarterly, you've usually got a good grasp on which card to use for various merchant types, especially for your higher spending ones. It would be nice if it provided links to the signup pages for various cards like Discover, Chase Freedom, etc. that have quarterly categories when you're checking a store in those categories. Also add the ability to create your own temporary override say for when you get a specific targeted offer for one of your cards.

But what would sell it for me is if it also included online stores and portals. Basically something that would integrate stuff like on cashbackholic, evrewards and the like.

Throw in a barcode scanner price checker and maybe a basic shopping list functionality and it could become a go-to app even if people are not using all functions.

I have yet to find a good shopping list app. I keep going back to Post Its for that too. It's just so much easier.

Is this really any different or better/worse than Wallaby? (I just do it all by memory and have never had a problem).

I have zero trouble deciding which card to use for the bulk of my purchases, Gas, Grocery and Drugstore

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014