Car Dealership Financing Shenanigans

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1234 5
  • Text Only
Video tape your interactions at the bad dealership if you go back.
If also unsatisfactory, send to USAA too.

imbatman said:   Video tape your interactions at the bad dealership if you go back.

Take a good look at the present state of Illinois' idiotic wiretap statutes first.
When you do it to government employees, you at least have the option of suing the shit out of them in federal court for First Amendment violations when they arrest you for recording.

taxmantoo said:   
imbatman said:   Video tape your interactions at the bad dealership if you go back.

Take a good look at the present state of Illinois' idiotic wiretap statutes first.
When you do it to government employees, you at least have the option of suing the shit out of them in federal court for First Amendment violations when they arrest you for recording.

While you generally are permitted to photograph or record video of people without permission in most public places, it is illegal in Illinois to "videotape, photograph, or film" people without their consent in "a restroom, tanning bed, or tanning salon, locker room, changing room or hotel bedroom." 720 Ill. Comp. Stat. 5/26-4(a) .

Congrats on the new vehicle. I agree with the others, little good can come from confronting the GM at the bad dealer. And it could have consequences down the road if you ever have to take your car in for service there.

imbatman said:   
taxmantoo said:   

While you generally are permitted to photograph or record video of people without permission in most public places, it is illegal in Illinois to "videotape, photograph, or film" people without their consent in "a restroom, tanning bed, or tanning salon, locker room, changing room or hotel bedroom." 720 Ill. Comp. Stat. 5/26-4(a)          .

So you want her to record a silent video of the conversation at the dealership?

Illinois's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law  .
Illinois makes it a crime to use an "eavesdropping device" to overhear or record a phone call or conversation without the consent of all parties to the conversation. The law defines an "eavesdropping device" as "any device capable of being used to hear or record oral conversation or intercept, retain, or transcribe electronic communication whether such conversation or electronic communication is conducted in person, by telephone, or by any other means." 720 Ill. Comp. Stat. 5/14-1, -2  .

If you are operating in Illinois, you should always get the consent of all parties before recording an in-person conversation or telephone call. In addition to subjecting you to criminal prosecution, violating the Illinois wiretapping http://www.dmlp.org/glossary/8/letters#term201   can expose you to a http://www.dmlp.org/glossary/8/letterc#term206   lawsuit for http://www.dmlp.org/glossary/8/letterd#term210   by an injured party.

While you generally are permitted to photograph or record video of people without permission in most public places, it is illegal in Illinois to "videotape, photograph, or film" people without their consent in "a restroom, tanning bed, or tanning salon, locker room, changing room or hotel bedroom." 720 Ill. Comp. Stat. 5/26-4(a)  

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/illinois-recording-law  

I don't really want to get into a legal discussion, but that's an odd law. That means that any video camera that records a cubs game (or any other sporting event in the state of Illinois) and happens to catch a snippet of a conversation between two individuals is in violation of the wiretapping law?

I think that 'inadvertent recording of audience members' was what an animal rights activist was arrested for at an Oregon rodeo.
(the guy who got thrown out and then pulled over was there taking still photos because the first guy got arrested)

http://www.copblock.org/37022/video-of-an-illegal-traffic-stop-i...

OP, have you revealed the dealer's name? It seems an appropriate time for that now. Congrats on your purchase.

qwerty12345otron said:   
Tinker2Evers2Chance said:   Home with the 2014 model. Dealer was great, numbers matched what we agreed upon, no games. Was a great experience.

Will speak to general manager of "bad" dealer tomorrow. Can't wait to tell him I closed a deal elsewhere.

Congrats on the new truck. 

Don't bother with the GM.  He may act apologetic (may), and you may feel better for telling him off, but nothing will change. He either explicitly or tacitly approves of such behavior because he believes it brings in more money. 

As others have said, talk to USAA

She already stated that she has spoken to USAA and that they didn't care.

imbatman said:   I don't really want to get into a legal discussion, but that's an odd law. That means that any video camera that records a cubs game (or any other sporting event in the state of Illinois) and happens to catch a snippet of a conversation between two individuals is in violation of the wiretapping law?
No. Purchasing tickets typically includes granting permission to use your likeness and voice. I'm in another state, but every one of my season tickets explicitly states this on the back of each ticket.

imbatman said:   I don't really want to get into a legal discussion, but that's an odd law.

Illinois is a mafia state.
Anything an honest citizen might do that would put a criminal at a disadvantage is illegal there.
IL and MA are the worst offenders when it comes to illegal suppression of public video recordings.

http://gizmodo.com/5900680/7-rules-for-recording-police

Any updated on the talk with the GM, OP?

No update yet - last voicemail I left was Friday. 

I've decided to write a letter (not an e-mail) describing just the facts of what happened and what was said and send it certified to corporate and USAA and mail a copy to the dealer. Since no one writes letters these days, maybe it will get some attention. If not, at least I've said my peace.

Tinker2Evers2Chance said:   No update yet - last voicemail I left was Friday. 

I've decided to write a letter (not an e-mail) describing just the facts of what happened and what was said and send it certified to corporate and USAA and mail a copy to the dealer. Since no one writes letters these days, maybe it will get some attention. If not, at least I've said my peace.

I've had success with this approach in the past.

Corporate being the factory or the corporation that owns the dealership?
I still think it might be fun to let the AG's office know that some dealers are still having customers sign blank contracts.

taxmantoo said:   

Corporate being the factory or the corporation that owns the dealership?
I still think it might be fun to let the AG's office know that some dealers are still having customers sign blank contracts.

Yeah.. Last time I complained to my state's AG over a loan servicer's VERY illegal behavior, things got resolved VERY quickly. 

Corporate being the company that controls whether or not dealer keeps its franchise.

And for those of you who get results with the state's AG, you don't live in Illinois.

Tinker2Evers2Chance said:   Corporate being the company that controls whether or not dealer keeps its franchise.

And for those of you who get results with the state's AG, you don't live in Illinois.

I don't think an AG in any state would really look twice at this. Even if they did investigate, all the dealer would say is that it never happened. Case closed.

forget it and move on.

He was trying to forget it until you dug this post up

The news articles linked in this thread were easier to prove cases, where several victims signed a contract and had a copy, and also signed a blank contract which the dealership filled out with less favorable terms.

But, you've got to understand the MadHen family. Especially Lisa, who doesn't think she's risen to the top of her political career yet. 
If they can call a press release and get the Chicago Tribune to fawn over them for a day or two, anything is worth it.
If OP had signed the blank contract and given the "customer copy" to the AG's office, SOMETHING would have happened.

If OP had video of them berating her for not signing a blank contract, she could have gone to ABC7 News herself and the dealership would have gotten all the media attention instead of sharing it with AG MadHen.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014