• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

picture
Disclaimer
Today I requested a return on a relatively small (under $10) item, and I received an on-screen message stating that they'd refund the money and I didn't need to return the item. This was an add-on item, so I guess they've decided it's not worth the shipping cost to get it back. This is the first time it's happened to me. I buy a decent amount of stuff there and have returned several things before. 

Anyone else have this happen? Seems to be along the same lines of cancelled balances on cards. 
Proof attached

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Boohoo, you have to return something that you were trying to return anyway and you still get a refund that you were goin... (more)

boonkauc (Aug. 28, 2013 @ 10:19a) |

I am prime. I probably spend $1000+ on Amazon each year. I am 4 for 4 on refunds for items I want to return. Two off ... (more)

axiom (Aug. 28, 2013 @ 8:30p) |

You mean I can keep the H&B?

dbond79 (Aug. 29, 2013 @ 8:37p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I had this happen with a cabin air filter that did not fit my vehicle.

It happens to me now and then. It really depends on:

1) Whether you have returned something before
2) What the shipping costs were to send it to you and back.
3) And if you are PRIME? (Not sure, but I only got this benefit when I was PRIME)  Edit : according to posters PRIME doesn't matter.

One time they said, don't bother on a $20 item
One time they said, here's a label on  a $5 item

It's cheaper for them to simply just refund and not deal with return shipping, adding back to inventory, etc. Same thing is done with small CC disputes.

...Of course there are algorithms and safeguards in place to prevent abuse of either of these systems...

Shouldn't this topic be in Free Stuff rather than FWF?

gloreglabert said:   Shouldn't this topic be in Free Stuff rather than FWF?
  HUH?

This is discussing Amazon's don't return it policy.  How does this work into Free Stuff? (Which is for people who WILL get a free item)

It's essentially the same discussion as credit cards cancelling small balances. It'd likely be hard to abuse, but some discussion with various data points could be helpful in trying to figure out what the limits are. 

I don't have Prime but I have placed 17 orders in the last 6 months, so I'm sure your overall spend factors into it. 

forbin4040 said:     HUH?

This is discussing Amazon's don't return it policy.  How does this work into Free Stuff? (Which is for people who WILL get a free item)

That was a joke.

gloreglabert said:   

That was a joke.

Bad Joke.

To fit in with this forum you should've put.

Hmm...I wonder if I order a Crown Vic from Amazon and then tell them I want to return, they would then tell me to keep it because it's too much to ship back.

Haha.
That's a joke

boonkauc said:   
  It's essentially the same discussion as credit cards cancelling small balances. It'd likely be hard to abuse, but some discussion with various data points could be helpful in trying to figure out what the limits are.

Not only hard but unethical and illegal. And if it is abused it will ruin the return policy (or raise prices) for everyone.

HE SAID IT WAS A JOKE.

What is interesting about this policy is when the item is an FBA item.

For those who do not know, FBA is Fulfillment by Amazon. FBA is a program where 3rd party sellers send in their merchandise in bulk and Amazon ships it to the Customer when ordered.

So when Amazon tells a buyer that they don't have to return the item, the buyer things Amazon is great. However, Amazon docks the FBA seller for the refund and they don't get the product back. Buyer and Amazon win and the FBA seller gets screwed.

forbin4040 said:   
3) And if you are PRIME? (Not sure, but I only got this benefit when I was PRIME)

Same thing without PRIME. I got a refund for a small $14 item.

forbin4040 said:   
gloreglabert said:   

That was a joke.

Bad Joke.

Hmm...I wonder if I order a Crown Vic from Amazon and then tell them I want to return, they would then tell me to keep it because it's too much to ship back.

Haha.
That's a joke

You need to work in a reference to buying used ///M3 engines from an Amazon seller

I had this happen with coconut oil. At some point during the shipping process it must have reached a certain temp and the oil liquified and must have seeped out of the jar lid cause the box was on my front point soaked in coconut oil. Amazon didn't want me to send it back, though I also didn't feel comfortable injesting it after that and they did give me a refund.

I've had this happen on a different site (Whirlpool outlet) when I accidentally ordered extra hoses for my washer. They refunded my money and told me to donate the hoses to charity. There are probably are quite a few sites out there that have similar policies if they lose more money with shipping.

cbdo2007 said:   I had this happen with coconut oil. I also didn't feel comfortable injesting it 

Re-Purpose
Your SO should appreciate a judicious application

I have had this happen a few times with Amazon. Mostly with out of date or damaged food items. Including orders over $50. One reason I give them about 80% of my online business. They even gave me permission to return an item that was beyond the return policy date. I had double ordered the item and forgot to send one back in time. They made it clear it was an exception, but allowed me to still return it. They sent me a label and just deducted shipping from the credit amount. I love Amazon.

Just happened to me with an assortment of automotive fuses. They were sold and packaged as mini fuses but oddly, standard size fuses were inside. I had to re order and they said not to bother returning the $6 item.

Never had this happen (been a Prime subscriber for a few years) but I did have an odd return experience not too long ago. Returned a $100 item & requested a credit back to card instead of an Amazon GC, which it seems they will provide immediately if you select this option. Couldn't get to UPS for a couple of days and then the day before I sent it out I received email that they had processed my credit. Trusting folks! I returned the item and then received a further email that the item had been received.

I suppose they would have just charged me back if I didn't actually return the item, but I still though this was odd. What if I removed the CC, from my profile, etc. In the past I've not actually received credit for a returned item from Amazon until they actually received the return.

Anyhow, I do appreciate their excellent CS and this is a reason they get the lion's share of my online purchases.

I've had this happen three times - ordered the wrong book in a trilogy as a gift, received the wrong size bottle nipples (their fault), and also with micro-steam bags. I don't have Prime. I did place several big orders last 1.5 years though. We ordered nearly all of our baby stuff from Amazon.

boonkauc said:   Today I requested a return on a relatively small (under $10) itemWhy did you buy and then decide to return the shave set???

Twice I think. Camera case and some batting gloves. Both were under $10 if I remember right. No prime.

I've had this with Staples and Newegg as well.

billrubin said:   I've had this with Staples and Newegg as well.
  As far as Staples goes once I tried to return a cpu fan not realizing the $100+ cpu I ordered came with one already. I had used a coupon with the order so at the store they thought I was abusing their system and the store employees threw me out of the store for that. So you can take your chances, but not worth it IMHO.  The cpu fan was about $4. 

I've had this happen twice with <$10 items sold by Amazon and recently with a $40 order shipped by Amazon after filing an A-Z guarantee because the shipped product didn't match what I ordered.

I bought $25 worth of olive oil from Amazon and the box on my door was soaked in olive oil lol. Obviously the bottles broke and they refunded my money without any visual proof.

Stuff like this kills the golden goose.
Remember good old days of every week, Western Digital 80GB harddrive for $20 from Circuit City? Price match to Frys and fill the rebate. Circuit City is no more.

I regularly do this with customers who buy stuff off the net / eBay from me; I ask them for a picture of the problem and simply credit them or send a new one. Not worth the hassle.

atsak said:   I regularly do this with customers who buy stuff off the net / eBay from me; I ask them for a picture of the problem and simply credit them or send a new one. Not worth the hassle.

and now-

Atsak gets a flurry of PMs for his website and eBay username.

Amazon will cut you off and stop doing business with you if you end up abusing this sort of thing.

atsak said:   I regularly do this with customers who buy stuff off the net / eBay from me; I ask them for a picture of the problem and simply credit them or send a new one. Not worth the hassle.
  Not sure why somebody would give red to this guy. Seems like a very practical guy who is just saying that he is customer friendly.

Because that's his only post, and it could be considered spam-vertisement and off-topic.

That's a decent shave brush for the money btw. Although I didn't get quite the deal you did on it

This has happened to me several times.  Once, the product was an add-on item that arrived with a package quantity less than advertised but otherwise perfectly usable.  I reported as a complaint but did not request a refund or replacement.  They went ahead and refunded the cost, told me to keep/discard it, asked me to reorder by itself (not possible since it is an add-on) and notify them afterwards to upgrade shipping to next-day for free.  The item cost was under $1.50.  I re-ordered the item as an add-on to another purchase but did not bother with the shipping upgrade as it was just stupid to stiff Amazon with that added cost when they had already refunded the original item.  Amazon's customer service is consistently one of the best I've experienced.

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are no returns on Amazon.com's grocery purchases. It would make even less sense to ask customers to ship back a spoiled or damaged grocery item. I too have received a refund when I reported a damaged grocery items shipment, without being asked to ship it back.

boonkauc said:   Anyone else have this happen? 

Well, after people read this and start abusing it, i assume they won't see it happen, just like when people abused Groupons very liberal return policy, and it tightened up.

I sold some ink through FBA, and the customer decided to return it and Amazon issued them the refund and told me they destroyed the ink as it's considered perisheable. WTF Amazon. I lost $30 because a customer decided to do a return, and I didn't even get the ink back. Wonder if Amazon did the same thing and never even asked the customer for a return.

cows123 said:   
boonkauc said:   Anyone else have this happen? 

Well, after people read this and start abusing it, i assume they won't see it happen, just like when people abused Groupons very liberal return policy, and it tightened up.

I feel like this would be much harder to abuse. I wasn't fishing for a refund, I had the item all boxed up and ready to return because I didn't want it. I'm sure they base it on how much the item costs them, how much you spend with them, how often you return stuff, etc... 

It's not really in your control whether they ask you to return it or not. 

Skipping 15 Messages...
steve1jr said:   
forbin4040 said:   
gloreglabert said:   

That was a joke.

Bad Joke.

Haha.
That's a joke

You need to work in a reference to buying used ///M3 engines from an Amazon seller

You mean I can keep the H&B?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014