Payment Requested:
Payment Processed:
Lifetime Cash Back:

Watch out: Discover removes "pay statement amount" option

First page
1 of 4
floatupstream
8/27/13 11:09 AM
I always pay the full statement amount on my Discover, and have been using the website since forever. It always featured a button to "pay statement amount" or something like that along with "pay current balance," "pay minimum payment," and "other amount," which you could fill in. I would just click the "statement amount" button and set the payment date. Today, I wasn't paying much attention and didn't notice there were only three buttons: "current balance," "minimum payment," and the "other amount" box. I hit the "current balance" button before I noticed it didn't match my statement; it was about $500 less.

Discover has removed the "pay statement amount" button. Now you have to enter the statement balance in the "other" box. I called Discover about it, and the guy said "There's no statement amount button," like there was never one there. Well, there was.

This is not a huge deal, but if had gone through the payment process, I would've been short on my payment and owed finance charges next month. I just wanted to give other Discover users a heads up on this.
WikiPost
8/27/13 11:10 AM
emaij
8/27/13 11:22 AM
Sneaky. Thanks for the heads-up.
malamoose
8/27/13 11:41 AM
I reviewed my Discover payment options. I copied the my payment options below and I have different options. The available option to pay the Last Statement Balance would negate any finance charges.

Could other Discover users review their options since the OP's and my options differ.

How Much?

$10.00 (Minimum Payment)

$10.00(Last Statement Balance)

$ (Other Amount)
barbcole
8/27/13 11:54 AM
The OP had no "pay statement balance" because their current balance was less than the statement balance and Discover does not allow payments in excess of current balance through their website.

Nothing to see here....
b534202
8/27/13 11:56 AM
Do they really charge you fees if the statement balance is higher than current balance, and you just pay the current balance?

I always pay the lower of the 2 (most likely not @ discover) but I don't get charge fees.  
f2977
8/27/13 12:16 PM
Don't care - always prepay Discover cards less "Small Balance Credit."
wfay
8/27/13 12:37 PM
Barbcole is right. Op is wrong. Nothing to see here, move along.
treasurebeacon
8/27/13 12:55 PM
barbcole said:   

The OP had no "pay statement balance" because their current balance was less than the statement balance and Discover does not allow payments in excess of current balance through their website.

Nothing to see here....

this.
floatupstream
8/27/13 1:13 PM
wfay: Not sure what I'm wrong about. The "pay statement" button was not there on my screen. I asked the Discover person why and he could not tell me. If I had not been paying attention, I would've paid the wrong amount.

barbcole: "The OP had no "pay statement balance" because their current balance was less than the statement balance and Discover does not allow payments in excess of current balance through their website."

This could be the reason, and I don't know why the operator didn't explain this to me. A couple of refunds came in after the statement date, thus reducing the current balance. As for Discover not allowing "payments in excess of current balance through their website," I just did it by entering the statement balance into the "other" box as the operator instructed. The payment went through and gave me a confirmation number.

Maybe I slipped through some Discover payment-warp loophole by momentarily having a lower balance than the statement. Regardless, I still think this is something to watch out for. I've had this Discover card for 27 years, used the website as long there's been a website, have always paid the statement balance, and this has never occurred. By the Sept. 15 statement due date, the account balance will certainly be above the statement balance, and the pay statement button will reappear. But, as far I understand it, I will still owe the statement balance, and as of today, if I had not caught the missing button, I would've set my payment up $500 short.
First page
1 of 4
Please select a reason for your RED vote:

You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.