• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I know Amazon allows GC purchases as small as 15 cents, and I've taken advantage of that for KTC and meeting RCA requirements in the past. However, my local credit union is offering a deal on a reward checking account that I would like to scale by opening many accounts with them. I currently have 9 accounts with this CU and plan to open more. But, each account requires 15 transactions per month on the debit card to qualify for the rewards. I am wondering whether anyone on FWF has either been banned or heard of anyone getting banned from Amazon for buying too many small value gift cards. I have only heard of people getting banned from Amazon for abusing returns, but I can imagine they might not be too happy with me if I start buying dozens of 15 cent gift cards a day every day. But they could have also set a larger minimum than 15 cents, which leads me to think they might not care. Anyone ever scaled up purchases of small Amazon GC beyond a few a day? I would like to play it safe because continued access to Amazon is valuable to me, but Amazon GC are a super easy way to manufacture transactions so I don't want to miss out on that unnecessarily either.

Other than that, does anyone have any good suggestions for generating small transactions for RCAs? The only other methods I have both require the use of a machine that operates at a slow pace - either buy 4 cents at a time worth of gas, or load Bluebird for $1 at a time at a WalMart kiosk (the minimum used to be $20 but it went down when the software was updated to differentiate between Bluebird and the WalMart MoneyCard) - both of which probably take upwards of 1 minute per transaction which is painful if you're doing lots. I've looked into paying utility bills $1 at a time, but that's not an option for me. Does anyone know of a charity that accepts very small contributions via credit/debit card? I would get Square and eat the transaction costs to save time, but I'm sure I would get banned in short order. Maybe I could use someone else's Square, but I think they would question hundreds of 1 cent transactions from the same person even if that person weren't the business owner. The key is minimizing the time I spend per transaction, even if I have to accept some cost (though not too much) in exchange.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Well, I followed your advice and ran 20 transactions through.  So far, all seems well.

Thanks

gatzdon (Sep. 16, 2013 @ 7:58p) |

if you do this with people behind you you're a dbag

bxlefty23 (Sep. 16, 2013 @ 9:01p) |

You do realize he means (said) 1 divider and 2 transactions, right?

BingBlangBlaow (Sep. 16, 2013 @ 9:23p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I do around 5 $1-ish GC transactions on Amazon each month, and no issues so far. I have heard that over 5 (maybe 10?) is where Amazon starts to get concerned, especially if multiple CCs are used.

One other thought: would it make a difference to buy slightly larger GC, say 50 cents to $1 apiece? I probably wouldn't go higher than $1 because I only need so much merchandise from Amazon and there is the opportunity cost of not getting Amazon GC at a discount another way. If it would make Amazon not ban me, I would rather buy $1 GC than spend hours using the WalMart machine to slowly load BB, but it might not matter.

I have been using Amazon Gift Cards for years to meet my RC transaction requirements.

Last year, on one of my accounts, Amazon started processing the transactions as pinless debit transactions, thus no longer meeting the transaction requirement.

Shortly after that, I started using the Amazon Gift Cards to get the small amount that credit cards write off every month.

Last month, Amazon locked out my account and it took me two weeks to get them to unlock it. From what I can tell in other threads, Amazon rarely tells you "why" they locked your account (although many who abuse Amazon knew perfectly well why their account got locked).

Now they are processing another RC Debit Card as pinless debits.

I don't if it's the bank or Amazon that took the action to change the way the card was being treated.

I do 20-30 per month.

mastroadam said:   Nope, just checked still does .01 transactions. I always get a lot of red for this because people on here think I'm giving up the golden goose
  Are you the guy from the Southern Comfort commercials?

gatzdon said:   I have been using Amazon Gift Cards for years to meet my RC transaction requirements.

Last year, on one of my accounts, Amazon started processing the transactions as pinless debit transactions, thus no longer meeting the transaction requirement.

Shortly after that, I started using the Amazon Gift Cards to get the small amount that credit cards write off every month.

Last month, Amazon locked out my account and it took me two weeks to get them to unlock it. From what I can tell in other threads, Amazon rarely tells you "why" they locked your account (although many who abuse Amazon knew perfectly well why their account got locked).

I don't if it's the bank or Amazon that took the action to change the way the card was being treated.

You can opt out of pinless debit

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&node...

As for OP if I do small amounts, I notice they put a substantial processing delay after the 8th GC purchase.  Only have 1RCA so thats my only data point.

pay cellphone bills. works for tmobile starting at $1.01.

I've been doing a few $1.00 reloads on my iPass account every month.  Reminds me of the old days before iPass when I'd pay each toll with 40 pennies.

Chris.

For a while I paid my water bill in increments of 5 dollars. This generated much distress on the part of the water bureau and they would call me with fraud alerts. I told them that my elderly mother used to help me pay the bills and now that she's getting on in years she must be paying in small amounts. It was a horrible lie and I felt bad. I stopped it for a while but then started up again. I received messages on my answering machine saying, "It's happening again." Sigh.

Another thing I do is when I'm at the grocery store I put a divider between all my items and a small amount item. I pay for the large group of items with my 5 percent CashBack credit card. For the second small item I look at the cashier and say, "I need a separate receipt for this item" and I pay with my debit card. Hey, people with WIC checks need to pay a separate transaction for every check they have and another for their other nonWIC items. People who pay with foodstamps need to pay for their beer and smokes separately. (or get the CashBack from their cash assistance and pay with that). I don't feel bad about a separate transaction.

Pay your cable/phone a few cents at a time. Why risk an Amazon ban or screwing a charity through interchange fees.

Online:
Cellphone: I have AT&T and they allows small transactions, up to 2 every 24 hours. If you have a $50 bill, you can easily split it into 50 or more transactions.
Gas bill: Atmos Energy allows unlimited small transactions but I do two maximum per day. They do not allow same value transactions so vary amount of each transaction by a cent or two.
Electric: Depends on company but most allow one or two transactions per day
Cable bill: TWC and Verizon (FiOS) allow small transaction payments
Besides Amazon, if you use Meritline to buy trinkets, that will give you several sub$1 transactions per month.

In-store:
Use Self-checkout at WalMart or Kroger or TomThumb and you can do one transaction per item, go during off peak hours if possible
CVS and Walgreens (and WalMart, Target) cashiers will let you to do multiple separate transactions, most will allow 2 per visit without any issues, same at fast food places (think two burritos = 2 transactions at Taco bell).

^ My phone company allows multiple transactions but they also cannot be duplicates....you have to go 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, etc. Easily do 10 a day and they don't care. 

I am not sure that I would try to doing the WalMart kiosk for 1 dollar debit card transactions. That is more valuable to risk getting shut down.

Does anyone know if Frontier internet bill payment allows small transactions?

delhel said:   pay cellphone bills. works for tmobile starting at $1.01.
  I second this.  This is actually what I do with any residual amount I have left on free Visa gift cards I get for various reasons (like rebate cards, or a couple of bonuses and door prizes for work events).

Just make sure you opt-out of doing the pinless debit, as AT&T tries to run it this way by default.

maddybeagle said:   ^ My phone company allows multiple transactions but they also cannot be duplicates....you have to go 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, etc. Easily do 10 a day and they don't care. 

I am not sure that I would try to doing the WalMart kiosk for 1 dollar debit card transactions. That is more valuable to risk getting shut down.

I have four rewards checking accounts, requiring a total of 40 transactions per month (30 signature, 10 signature or PIN).  I actually do the WalMart self-checkout (and sometimes grocery store) trick fairly often, usually at the beginning of the month (to jump-start my transaction total to get it out of the way) or toward the end (if I'm desperate to get some transactions in).  I try to make sure there aren't people behind me waiting for the machine.  I'll also try to cycle the transactions; transaction with card #1, then another with card #2, #3, #4, then maybe a $60 cash-over transaction using DiscoverCard #1, #2, #3, then cycle back if necessary.  That way it reduces the number of simultaneous small transactions at the same place on the same card.  Also, previously I would throw in a transaction or two with our Chase Freedom cards, for the 10˘ per transaction bonus, but now that's gone, I'll probably start using my Discover debit card for 10˘ CashBack per transaction.  Also cycle some of those little-used Chase, CapOne and USBank cards for the 99˘ small balance adjustment.  Oh, yeah, and transactions just over a whole $1 amount on my BofA card for KTC savings (during the matching period).  All that to say, I try to squeeze as much benefit as I can out of those small transactions, while mixing it up enough to fly under the radar.  OTOH, I have been known, in desperate cases, to go to the self-checkout and buy ten 89˘ cans of beans, one can at a time, with the same card.  But I try to avoid that as much as possible.

Chris.

You have to be pretty dense to think giving them a penny with my card costs them less than a penny to process. In addition they send you a first class letter for each donation.

I also think Usorry was referring to the OP asking if anyone knew of a charity.
I might have to rethink my plan here; I don't want to be getting that many letters from THF.

Back to the thread title question, I've done 60-80 or so in the past month. I had been doing 5-10/day at one point and got my account frozen. I just sent an email saying I couldn't sign in and soon after got an email to reset my password but no explanation or anything. I cooled it for a while and have recently been doing 3-4/day.

I use Time Warner cable, DWP, and Verizon for my KTC from BofA. I try to keep Amazon gc purchases to one or two a day. After a while of doing this though, the Buy Gift Card link dissapears and I have to get to from the Gift Card balance page. Not sure if thats Amazon's gentle warning to cool it.

I just click on my gift card button in my bookmark bar.

I use Amazon gift cards, about 30/month. All different amounts, though, and nothing under $1 ($1.01, $1.02, etc). I also spend a couple hundred bucks a month at least there, so I'm clearly a real customer.

I gave this post green just because I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one who is mental enough to do these multiple transactions just to earn 10 cents at a time.

I used to use Amazon small gc purchases for all my RCA. every month, I just start my iMacros to do it automatically.
this worked for about a year, and then, suddenly, one day, during the iMacros job, I could not log into Amazon any more, and called Amazon, and they didn't know what happened. waited for a couple of days, and the password worked again, but all my CC accounts are deleted. and all pending purchases including small gc and real purchase are deleted. It happened three times, and I gave up. Now I just pay my verizon wireless, start with $1, $1.01, $1.02....

p a y p a l card readers? I say mix it up a bit. Just don't do a lot because there's another poster on another thread that said his account got locked but he was doing 4-5 accounts worth. I have no idea about his frequency. I have two accounts, I do 5 a day, and I haven't had issues so far. It's worth $.03 fee per dollar IMO to avoid getting my debit card locked up at the gas stations and not make potentially waiting customers mad. At the very least, you can add it to the mix and vary it among the other methods every month.

dukeboy said:   I used to use Amazon small gc purchases for all my RCA. every month, I just start my iMacros to do it automatically.
this worked for about a year, and then, suddenly, one day, during the iMacros job, I could not log into Amazon any more, and called Amazon, and they didn't know what happened. waited for a couple of days, and the password worked again, but all my CC accounts are deleted. and all pending purchases including small gc and real purchase are deleted. It happened three times, and I gave up. Now I just pay my verizon wireless, start with $1, $1.01, $1.02....

A few months ago, I did have the almost exact experience as you. I called, emailed, and raised a fuss with Amazon but they kept beating around the bush. I lost 1 month of reward money and was not a happy camper. I am ok now and I have 4 RCAs and I do about 50 small GC purchases a month. Just enrolled another RCA last week for a total of 5 accounts.

I don't think anything is better for me to fulfil RCA requirements as of right now because I already have monthly direct payments with my credit cards for electricity and broadband. 

Lemmata said:   Other than that, does anyone have any good suggestions for generating small transactions for RCAs?

If you are an extreme couponer like myself, I often only pay tax at stores or very small amounts OOP. So I often use my debit card to pay for these small charges and it waives my checking fee each month with my Chase checking account.

Don't know where the posts went, but heritage is now min $1.

Didn't take long...

The mods said I was trying to bring politics in. So my posts got deleted

I used to use my Square account, until I got a polite email from them telling me to cut it out, or they'd close the account. I cut it out.

mastroadam said:   The mods said I was trying to bring politics in. So my posts got deleted

This does tend to happen with any well thought out post that doesnt follow the main stream of the thread. You can have dozens of rednecks yellin yeehaw merika and screw obama and screw the french and screw putin, etc in the gun forums but as soon as one person pipes up with anything at all that doesnt agree the mods are all over it. Apparently "politics" to them means anything that creates the slightest bit of free thought i.e. controversy. Their motto seems to be "Dont think just spend, and use our referral links so we get rich in the meantime".

Start your timers. We will see if my thread lasts any longer than yours did. 

cestmoi123 said:   I used to use my Square account, until I got a polite email from them telling me to cut it out, or they'd close the account. I cut it out.
  I didn't get a polite email, I just got a "Account closed" email

screw putin

rlaw said:   
gatzdon said:   I have been using Amazon Gift Cards for years to meet my RC transaction requirements.

You can opt out of pinless debit

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&node... 

As for OP if I do small amounts, I notice they put a substantial processing delay after the 8th GC purchase.  Only have 1RCA so thats my only data point.

Well, I followed your advice and ran 20 transactions through.  So far, all seems well.

Thanks

luvbugium said:   Another thing I do is when I'm at the grocery store I put a divider between all my items and a small amount item. I pay for the large group of items with my 5 percent CashBack credit card. For the second small item I look at the cashier and say, "I need a separate receipt for this item" and I pay with my debit card. Hey, people with WIC checks need to pay a separate transaction for every check they have and another for their other nonWIC items. People who pay with foodstamps need to pay for their beer and smokes separately. (or get the CashBack from their cash assistance and pay with that). I don't feel bad about a separate transaction.
  if you do this with people behind you you're a dbag

You do realize he means (said) 1 divider and 2 transactions, right?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014