• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I'm just passing this along that I found on a couple of other forums:

USAA Federal Savings Bank, effective to August 27, 2013, closed all membership to non veterans. In other words, unless you can connect yourself to someone in your family or have some form of military service (as defined by USAA), you cannot be a member. Back to the fall of 2009 it was that way and even restrictive to military personnel. If you are a member of USAA as a non veteran you can remain a member as long as you have active account(s), except you cannot participate in property and casualty products. All other military based memberships remain unchanged. This information came directly from USAA Federal Savings Bank at 9:05 a.m. CDT, Tuesday, September 3, 2013.

There has been some mumblings about joining Navy League  as a back door, but it doesn't look promising.

If you didn't open a bank account before August 27th, and you don't fall within their military affiliation, you may not be able to join.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I got that same email on 6/21/13 and tried the feature same as you and got the same error message. My email to CS was ig... (more)

Lurker1999 (Sep. 15, 2013 @ 5:56p) |

I remember being able to do one Deposit @ Home then maybe 2 months later went to use it again and it said I was unable t... (more)

SubaruWRX (Oct. 19, 2013 @ 8:35p) |

On a related note I remember helping some family qualify for Geico insurance back in the day when you had to be a govern... (more)

rasheedb (Oct. 23, 2013 @ 10:38p) |

• Also categorized in:

Read Navy League benefits through and see USAA is available to ELIGIBLE members--the same as if directly. Navy League members (of all kinds) may join PenFed, which can also be done directly and is a favorite FW institution.

Interesting. Looks like you got your sources from here:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/USAA-is-not-open-to...

I posted some more info there...I luckily opened my banking accounts 2 months ago and still seem to be eligible for credit products.
I'm not eligible for insurance/casualty (apart from life), but I believe that has always been limited to military members.

Thanks for updating on this.

snork615 said:   Read Navy League benefits through and see USAA is available to ELIGIBLE members--the same as if directly. Navy League members (of all kinds) may join PenFed, which can also be done directly and is a favorite FW institution.

PenFed can be joined through membership in a variety of institutions, Navy League being just one.

But that is apples and oranges as we are talking USAA, not PenFed.  I won't comment on which one is better, they each have their points.

I have joined USAA, PenFed, SDFCU all in the past 3 months to establish a relationship while I still can.

Looks like my USAA web account is still active, but I can no longer open a checking account...

FYI - their travel discounts, etc are very nice. I may have to open one of their brokerage accounts just to guarantee that I maintain access...

Sorry, we can't open this account for you.

USAA Bank products are only available to military members, veterans who have honorably served and their eligible family members.

USAA's family of companies may have other products available to you. Learn more about:

Investment Products
Life Insurance

I just noticed on USAA that I can now use the "Deposit@Home" which I was unable to before.
I am not affiliated with the Military, and I believe that was a requirement.

I successfully deposited one check tonight using the Despot @ Home service.

Is this something new, or have non military always been able to use Deposit@Home?

halterk said:   I just noticed on USAA that I can now use the "Deposit@Home" which I was unable to before.

Is this something new, or have non military always been able to use Deposit@Home?

They must have changed that.  I believe in the past, you had to also have an insurance product with them in order to use the mobile deposit.  

halterk said:   I just noticed on USAA that I can now use the "Deposit@Home" which I was unable to before.

True for me too, as I couldn't get into that option before.  Maybe since they're closed to non-military new accounts there's no reason to differentiate between partial and full members for mobile deposits based on their previous eligibility requirement.

The terms that I've seen state that non-military aren't allowed to do the home and mobile deposit.  However, at the beginning of June I got an email advertising that functionality and I've since been able to deposit quite a bit with no issues.

USAA bank has gone back and forth in recent years - first military (USAA) and ex-military dependent (USAA CIC) members only, then not, then credit cards, but only rewards programs for members, and now back again to only military and ex-dependents again. I don't know why they go back and forth, but they may go back again next year. I never found their rewards programs on credit cards to be fantastic anyway - all right, but I was always able to find better elsewhere.

For a checking account, at least in the past, and if you had the $5k minimum to open, the Asset Management Account from USAA Investment Management Company was also better and eligible for most (not quite all; not sure about deposits at UPS Stores and mobile deposit, for instance) of the same services as the USAA Bank checking account was. I used it myself until they dropped the interest rate and I had to get my 1% checking elsewhere.

Insurance is a different matter; they have defined their insurance 'group' with the state insurance commissions to be military / ex-dependent / child of ex-dependent. (Kind of premier level members and regular members, though they don't like to talk about that.)

I hope this is useful.

Coming soon: marrying military for fun and CU membership?

Try it out if you have military parents, there's a chance they took out an insurance policy on you... I am eligible because my parents took out a small life insurance policy on me as a child. I've been eligible for their insurance products and just opened a checking account with them.

debentureboy said:   Try it out if you have military parents, there's a chance they took out an insurance policy on you... I am eligible because my parents took out a small life insurance policy on me as a child. I've been eligible for their insurance products and just opened a checking account with them.
  You are eligible if your parents had a USAA auto or property insurance product at any time regardless if they had any policy on you.

USAA should always focus on their core ideas. Meaning they provide a product to people who are or were in the military or direct relative IMO. For those who don't have any relationship with the military kudos but I feel people associated with the military are their main focus. M

UPRRSLO said:   USAA should always focus on their core ideas. Meaning they provide a product to people who are or were in the military or direct relative IMO. For those who don't have any relationship with the military kudos but I feel people associated with the military are their main focus. M
This is definitely true.  They structure the company so that only those who have joined who are direct military officers (or in military-officer-like jobs, such as government Special Agents - FBI, DEA, etc.) have a say in how the leadership of the company is selected.  This distinction is permanent and continuing in different classes of USAA members according to the auto policy.  All others, including eligible ex-dependents, may ride along and get company services in a different insurance rate group based on the auto policy, but the company self-perpetuates its leadership from military officer (or equivalent in their view) ranks so they are the only ones who set the company direction.  Like simulating the way that Credit Unions are required to operate.  And, in fairness, the company was founded by military officers as a reciprocal insurance exchange (which it remains for the military members) who were not insured by other companies. The subsidiary companies, usually Delaware LLCs, such as CIC and Garrison, insure the remaining members, and the other companies - USAA Bank, USAA Investment Management Company, USAA Life, etc., follow this behavior to varying degrees, though they do not necessarily have to, unlike P&C insurance, where the rules are strict.  In fact, in some states, 'children of ex-dependents' are not allowed as a valid insurance group, and, while resident in those states, USAA can not insure them.  I think Michigan is one example, and there may be a few others.

I believe everybody is eligible for USAA auto insurance in New Hampshire, as that state does not permit auto insurers to limit customers.

Argyll said:   
debentureboy said:   Try it out if you have military parents, there's a chance they took out an insurance policy on you... I am eligible because my parents took out a small life insurance policy on me as a child. I've been eligible for their insurance products and just opened a checking account with them.
  You are eligible if your parents had a USAA auto or property insurance product at any time regardless if they had any policy on you.

I had my Dad (veteran) call up a few months ago and get a $24 per year personal property insurance plan for jewelry, etc. that he'll cancel after 1 year.  It's the cheapest plan they have and did not require my Dad to change any of his other insurance.  Once he was signed up it made my brothers and I eligible for all USAA accounts.  If your parents are veterans (or active military) have them open up the $24 account now (I paid my Dad for it) just so you can be eligible for USAA.

I'm non military with an account for 3 years and I just checked, and I am STILL not eligible for Deposit at Home or Mobile, and tried both (both checked my eligibility and rejected me).

Darrone said:   I'm non military with an account for 3 years and I just checked, and I am STILL not eligible for Deposit at Home or Mobile, and tried both (both checked my eligibility and rejected me).
  Not a big deal. There are many CUs that provide free mobile deposit services.

abacti said:   
Darrone said:   I'm non military with an account for 3 years and I just checked, and I am STILL not eligible for Deposit at Home or Mobile, and tried both (both checked my eligibility and rejected me).
  Not a big deal. There are many CUs that provide free mobile deposit services.

...and even Chase, Bank of America and Citi!

This is the primary reason I finally closed my accounts with USAA. I could tolerate their interest rates due to their customer service but the lack of deposit@home/mobile was unacceptable in this day and age.

As a test I just wrote a small check to myself and used mobile deposit with my partial/limited membership (checking account).  It took.  I only became a customer late last year.

For me, I was unable to use deposit@home/mobile until I opened a USAA credit card.  I actually opened the account just to have more USAA products and enable that feature

tenken said:   Darrone said:   I'm non military with an account for 3 years and I just checked, and I am STILL not eligible for Deposit at Home or Mobile, and tried both (both checked my eligibility and rejected me).
  For me, I was unable to use deposit@home/mobile until I opened a USAA credit card.  I actually opened the account just to have more USAA products and enable that feature

I have no USAA credit card. It seems rather random who gets mobile deposit.

after many years of yearning for this feature, i complained and got a response the CEO's office and they added to my account. I would try making some noise and see if it works for you too.

Meats:

I'm curious how you pulled that off - any addtional tips/tricks?  I had USAA banking, checking and a IRA there about 2 years ago.  I went up and down the CSRs and their supervisors since I was told some bad information about the mobile deposit feature (was told I needed to qualify for a credit product, was approved but then informed by a different CSR that I wasn't eligble for mobile deposit - non military partial member).  I ended up closing all those accounts and keeping the credit card. 

Fast forward to this past Friday - I re-opened new checking and savings since I kept hearing from many others that they now received access to the mobile deposit features.  They still don't work for me...would love to make them my primary bank but with my line of work and travelling I need mobile deposits.

Thanks!

mark1210 said:   Meats:

I'm curious how you pulled that off - any addtional tips/tricks?  I had USAA banking, checking and a IRA there about 2 years ago.  I went up and down the CSRs and their supervisors since I was told some bad information about the mobile deposit feature (was told I needed to qualify for a credit product, was approved but then informed by a different CSR that I wasn't eligble for mobile deposit - non military partial member).  I ended up closing all those accounts and keeping the credit card. 

Fast forward to this past Friday - I re-opened new checking and savings since I kept hearing from many others that they now received access to the mobile deposit features.  They still don't work for me...would love to make them my primary bank but with my line of work and travelling I need mobile deposits.

Thanks!

I went to CapOne 360 checking/savings and haven't looked back. I keep a local bank for all the local bank needs (cash, coins, signatures) but CapOne has mobile deposit which I think you'll find very user friendly.

Lurker1999 said:   

Thanks!

I went to CapOne 360 checking/savings and haven't looked back. I keep a local bank for all the local bank needs (cash, coins, signatures) but CapOne has mobile deposit which I think you'll find very user friendly.

One thing I don't like about their mobile deposit it that it waits until you have taken both pictures, entered all of your information, account, deposit amount, etc before telling you that there was a problem with the first picture and you need start over.  Their system has become less picky, but it would be nice to have an earlier heads up that the entire transaction will fail.  But at least all customers have access to it, unlike USAA's random formula to decide who is worthy of remote deposit. 

burgerwars said:   
tenken said:   

I have no USAA credit card. It seems rather random who gets mobile deposit.

I have a USAA checking, savings, and insurance but still can't deposit checks.

Got a letter in the mail from National Military Family Association. they entered into an alliance with USAA.
NMFA was the non-profit vehicle I used to get access to PenFed.

Eligible members of NMFA may benefit from USAA's services incuding insurance.

phone # listed for more info:
855-828-6632

One would assume that "eligible members" would be those who are already qualify for USAA.

Thanks!

a few months ago they sent an erroneous email suggesting I had access to the deposit@mobile features. i immediately tried it, but was met with the same 'you do not qualify' for this feature mumbo jumbo. at that point, i was really pissed off and wrote an email to customer service saying that i felt tricked and have been wanting this feature for a long time and saw no reason why it would not be possible in this day and age where every major bank offers this. after a few days i started receiving calls from the office of the CEO and eventually spoke with someone who said they would let me have access to it.

i will say that one major difference between USAA's deposit feature and other banks is that USAA makes those funds immediately available for withdrawl. other banks will wait a few days until the check clears before the funds are available. its possible that this risk that USAA is assuming needs to be offset by restricting access to a safer pool of customers, which they deem to be full USAA members. anyway, this is conjecture on my part, so dont take it as gospel.

Meats said:   

Thanks!

a few months ago they sent an erroneous email suggesting I had access to the deposit@mobile features. i immediately tried it, but was met with the same 'you do not qualify' for this feature mumbo jumbo. at that point, i was really pissed off and wrote an email to customer service saying that i felt tricked and have been wanting this feature for a long time and saw no reason why it would not be possible in this day and age where every major bank offers this. after a few days i started receiving calls from the office of the CEO and eventually spoke with someone who said they would let me have access to it.

i will say that one major difference between USAA's deposit feature and other banks is that USAA makes those funds immediately available for withdrawl. other banks will wait a few days until the check clears before the funds are available. its possible that this risk that USAA is assuming needs to be offset by restricting access to a safer pool of customers, which they deem to be full USAA members. anyway, this is conjecture on my part, so dont take it as gospel.

I got that same email on 6/21/13 and tried the feature same as you and got the same error message. My email to CS was ignored and I continued to not have access to it. I'm glad you managed to get access to it.

I remember being able to do one Deposit @ Home then maybe 2 months later went to use it again and it said I was unable to use it because I did not have some insurance part.. seemed pretty odd/dumb.

On a related note I remember helping some family qualify for Geico insurance back in the day when you had to be a government employee to be accepted. I think Geico still has a separate registered division for those in that rating qualification group, but of course has grown to now serve almost everyone with many rating groups.

I doubt USAA will go that direction though.

Rasheed

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014