waterleak

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 123 4
  • Text Only
LorenPechtel said:   
imxman said:   It broke when he tried to yank the toilet up w/o fully disconnecting the supply from the shutoff valve.
I find it hard to believe you could break a water supply pipe this way.  I'm thinking more along the lines of him hitting the pipe with the toilet.

I believe that you are guessing, it doesn't sound like you've ever done this ... the base of the bowl can't come that close to the wall, it is the tank that sits close to the wall & the bowl extends toward the wall higher up than the valve it located.

I said that because I've seen it done a few times, in my experience (I've replaced between 30-35, new installed 100s) it is the most frequent reason for the pipe breaking on the other side of the valve.

He could have wrenched too hard on the valve/pipe, could have dropped a piece of flooring down on it, could have hit it w/ a hammer, could have kicked it (all possibilities, your scenario is only possible if he set the toilet on the floor next to the valve & it fell over allowing the tank to hit the valve). On old plumbing the rigid copper supply tube can be quite stuck into the supply valve. For that reason, I often leave the supply tube connected to the valve & disconnect it from the tank (ensuring that it is free from the tank before lifting, cutting the supply tube if it is also cemented to the tank). There is still water in the bowl so it is important to keep it level when lifting/moving, I usually put plastic in the nearby tub and just put the whole thing on it.

I redded you for guessing, not for disagreeing w/ me.

^^^ it could happen in a bigger bathroom is the toilet falls sideways and the tank is what contacts the pipe.

imbatman said:   ^^^ it could happen in a bigger bathroom is the toilet falls sideways and the tank is what contacts the pipe.
  I said that --
imxman said: ... your scenario is only possible if he set the toilet on the floor next to the valve & it fell over allowing the tank to hit the valve...

oh, you're right. I was distracted by, and focused on, the bolded text.

^^^ the bolded text is still accurate (since it would be the tank doing the breaking).

true, but he never said anything about the bowl (I consider the tank to be part of the toilet).

xman vs batman

Call me skeptical. OP found this contractor on Craigslist. Chances of this guy not having enough or the right insurance could be pretty high.

nullterm said:   xman vs batman
  w/ his silly responses/posts, methinks he could have chose a better stance.

He continues to remind me of the idiotic homeowner who tried to blame me for his mistake/error. When the tank is connected to the bowl (which technically makes it a "toilet), it isn't possible for the bowl to clip a properly plumbed valve. S'why codes/standards are helpful.

Since batman claims to focus solely on bolded text, I chose to direct his attention.

Guys

The contractors insurance company says that they will cover everything else other than the floor itself. They keep saying that it is his job and if he messes it, it is his look after. Is that how the insurance works. Should i go to small claim in that case. Please let me know. Thanks.

Small claims?  You just need the floor installed, as originally contracted.  Here are the steps for you to follow.  It is very important to follow them in order, otherwise you might receive damage to your new floor and/or wallet.

Step 1. Have proper repairs made to your house to mitigate water damage and mold with qualified, mold certified contractor.
Step 2. Get paid for repairs (see step 1) by the flooring company's insurance.
Step 3. Instruct your flooring company to finish the job with the proper flooring in good condition.
Step 4. After Step 3 is completed, inspect job.
Step 5. If you are satisfied with Step 4, pay flooring company for the job done in Step 3.
Step 6. Ensure you don't pay anything extra to flooring company that you didn't agree to in original contract.
Step 7. Say goodbye to flooring company.
Step 8. Walk on new floor after any urethane, sealants, etc. are properly cured.
Step 9. Move furniture onto new floor as needed.
Step 10. Install any desired rugs on new floor.
Step 11. Fix  question mark key on keyboard.
Step 12. Report back on FWF.

the flooring companies insurance will pay for everything other than the floor since he is the flooring guy and it is his look after. Flooring pretty much takes up all the cost, the rest of it is negligiable.

Hire a lawyer to write the insurance company a letter for you. I assume this is their idea of a lowball offer. A nicely worded letter might make them a little more reasonable. If the contractor damaged the flooring, he's got to pay for the replacement of what has been damaged due to his negligence.

How did you get through life before FWF existed?

Chargum85 said:   How did you get through life before FWF existed?

His momma made all his decisions for him.

ram00 said:   the flooring companies insurance will pay for everything other than the floor since he is the flooring guy and it is his look after. Flooring pretty much takes up all the cost, the rest of it is negligiable.
  That is absurd. He caused the damage, his liability insurance company is liable. That's what liability insurance is for. Unless he has some specific language in his policy that exempts the company from this claim, they should pay for ALL damage done by the contractor error. You need to challenge the insurance company either on your own, or with a lawyer. You said earlier you have the cover page of his policy, get the entire policy and read it through to see if they have an out.

If the insurance company adjuster detects lack of knowledge on your part he may try and take advantage of that by hoping you will settle for a lesser amount and hope you don't question it. I may be wrong and there could be more to it, but this sounds like an insurance company trying to minimize their liability.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014