• Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
kvs25 said:   
imbatman said:   
kvs25 said:   Any tips on Hawaii? Wife and I are planning to to go HNL for 2 days, and then stay in Maui for 4 days. We're planning to fly EWR->HNL nonstop and not looking forward to that flight
  I was considering taking that flight in United Biz class. decided to route through Houston instead.
My first suggestion is get in biz class on that flight. It's not an amazing product, but that would be a long flight in Coach.

  They don't have saver awards in biz, it's 80K pp. We have the miles but then we'd need to sacrifice biz class on other trips, so I think it's better to get the saver econ (20K pp) and then upgrade to premium
 

You could do that. You could also consider doing EWR-IAH-HNL. For a lot of dates when EWR-HNL has no saver availability, they do have the availability on IAH-HNL. It's the same product, but you'd have to leave newark at 5 AM. Or you could break up the EWR-HNL flight with two shorter first class flights (like EWR-SFO-HNL)
 

If you fly United I would only bother going to Business class if it is an international plane with the lay flat seats. If its the domestic first class it is not worth the additional miles. Also you could always hope for a buy up offer at check in.

imbatman said:   kvs25 said:   
imbatman said:   
kvs25 said:   Any tips on Hawaii? Wife and I are planning to to go HNL for 2 days, and then stay in Maui for 4 days. We're planning to fly EWR->HNL nonstop and not looking forward to that flight
  I was considering taking that flight in United Biz class. decided to route through Houston instead.
My first suggestion is get in biz class on that flight. It's not an amazing product, but that would be a long flight in Coach.

  They don't have saver awards in biz, it's 80K pp. We have the miles but then we'd need to sacrifice biz class on other trips, so I think it's better to get the saver econ (20K pp) and then upgrade to premium
 

You could do that. You could also consider doing EWR-IAH-HNL. For a lot of dates when EWR-HNL has no saver availability, they do have the availability on IAH-HNL. It's the same product, but you'd have to leave newark at 5 AM. Or you could break up the EWR-HNL flight with two shorter first class flights (like EWR-SFO-HNL)
 


Right, but the wife prefers non-stop; she's sick of all the roundabout award trips I put her through . Ya the 80K pp is pretty steep; I'll see if i can just upgrade to premium econ.

yea, but I would pick a 4 and an 8 hour flight in recliners with a 1 hour layover over an 11 hour flight in a recliner.

kvs25 said:   mikef07 said:   
kvs25 said:   Any tips on Hawaii? Wife and I are planning to to go HNL for 2 days, and then stay in Maui for 4 days. We're planning to fly EWR->HNL nonstop and not looking forward to that flight
  What are you looking for?  Where to eat?  Where to stay?  Stuff for kids?  


  no kids, just us. We want to take in the sights and maybe do some 'adventure' sports. Haven't looked into eating either, since we're vegetarian.
  

I don't remember Maui having much 'adventure sports'. Its a pretty laidback island. What specifically are you looking for? I've definitely seen stand up paddleboarding, surfing, biking, etc. There is also a zip line.

tjguitar85 said:   
kvs25 said:   
mikef07 said:   
kvs25 said:   Any tips on Hawaii? Wife and I are planning to to go HNL for 2 days, and then stay in Maui for 4 days. We're planning to fly EWR->HNL nonstop and not looking forward to that flight
  What are you looking for?  Where to eat?  Where to stay?  Stuff for kids?  


  no kids, just us. We want to take in the sights and maybe do some 'adventure' sports. Haven't looked into eating either, since we're vegetarian.

  

I don't remember Maui having much 'adventure sports'. Its a pretty laidback island. What specifically are you looking for? I've definitely seen stand up paddleboarding, surfing, biking, etc. There is also a zip line.

  The Road to Hana can be considered an adventure . It was at least a very fun drive for me

money2011 said:   tjguitar85 said:   
kvs25 said:   
mikef07 said:   
kvs25 said:   Any tips on Hawaii? Wife and I are planning to to go HNL for 2 days, and then stay in Maui for 4 days. We're planning to fly EWR->HNL nonstop and not looking forward to that flight
  What are you looking for?  Where to eat?  Where to stay?  Stuff for kids?  


  no kids, just us. We want to take in the sights and maybe do some 'adventure' sports. Haven't looked into eating either, since we're vegetarian.

  

I don't remember Maui having much 'adventure sports'. Its a pretty laidback island. What specifically are you looking for? I've definitely seen stand up paddleboarding, surfing, biking, etc. There is also a zip line.

  The Road to Hana can be considered an adventure . It was at leads a very fun drive for me
  

It's very long, and you certainly are going to want to stay in Hana overnight. Definitely worth doing, but I don't know if I'd do that if I only had a few days on Maui.

We did it in a day but, overnight is best. There are several black and red sanded beaches along the way. The reward at the top is the most interesting and best of all its free. 

imbatman said:   yea, but I would pick a 4 and an 8 hour flight in recliners with a 1 hour layover over an 11 hour flight in a recliner.
  
I would have to disagree... though by the time I'm up to an 11 hour+, I'm really looking at a 14 hour or an 18 hour, in which case the seats better be flat.

kvs25 said:   Any tips on Hawaii? Wife and I are planning to to go HNL for 2 days, and then stay in Maui for 4 days. We're planning to fly EWR->HNL nonstop and not looking forward to that flight
  
the flight from Chicago to HNL was not that bad in Coach, I prepped by bringing my own various snacks and sleeping mask & earplugs.
take a shuttle bus from the airport, traffic is worst in USA (really) a cab will end up costing a lot from airport.
See Wakaki beach of course.
Skip the bus tour around the island they are definitely NOT worth it. (Dole plantation is really only a giant souvenier store), instead rent a car for a day and drive around the driving is short as cannot really go around the island anyhow.

BlueSeaLake said:   
kvs25 said:   Any tips on Hawaii? Wife and I are planning to to go HNL for 2 days, and then stay in Maui for 4 days. We're planning to fly EWR->HNL nonstop and not looking forward to that flight
  
the flight from Chicago to HNL was not that bad in Coach, I prepped by bringing my own various snacks and sleeping mask & earplugs.
take a shuttle bus from the airport, traffic is worst in USA (really) a cab will end up costing a lot from airport.
See Wakaki beach of course.
Skip the bus tour around the island they are definitely NOT worth it. (Dole plantation is really only a giant souvenier store), instead rent a car for a day and drive around the driving is short as cannot really go around the island anyhow.

  The flight to HNL is not so bad b/c it's day time flight. I did HNL-ORD in old first (recliners) and slept very badly. 



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014