• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Simple steps to an extra 100 bucks!
1. Open a new SunTrust checking account
2. Spend $500 with your SunTrust MasterCard Check Card in the first three months
3. Get $100 deposited straight into your account

Eligible New Checking Accounts: To qualify for the $100 promotional incentive, a new personal checking account must be opened at an in-store SunTrust branch located inside Publix, Kroger, safeway, WalMart, B-Lo and Harris Teeter retail stores between 8/30/2013 and 12/31/2013, and at least $500 must be spend on qualifying purchases with a SunTrust MasterCard Check Card(s) or Delta SkyMiles World Check Card(s) that are associated with the new account within 90 days of opening the new checking account. In-store SunTrust branch locator            

Eligible personal checking accounts are limited to the following: EZ Checking, Everyday Checking, Solid Choice Banking, Signature Advantage Banking, Signature Advantage Brokerage, Student Checking and Balanced Banking. SunTrust clients who already have a checking account with SunTrust (as a primary or secondary account holder) are not eligible for this promotion. SunTrust Checking Account Options     (Best options - Everyday Checking, EZ Checking)

Qualifying Purchases: Only SunTrust MasterCard Check Card or Delta SkyMiles World Check Card PIN Point of Sale and signature-based purchases (including small dollar purchases that do not require a signature), Internet purchases, phone or mail order purchases qualify for meeting the $500 spend requirement. Cash advances, cash portion of a PIN POS sale with Cash Back, ATM transactions, payments for stored-value cards, wire transfers, money transfers, money orders, cashier checks, quasi cash, traveler's cheques, purchase of monetary instruments or a PIN POS/signature transaction that contains either in whole or part of one or more of the previously excluded transaction types do not qualify. PIN Point of Sale and signature-based check card purchases made with any check card(s) tied to the new checking account will count towards meeting the requirement to spend $500 within 90 days from account opening.

After making a minimum of $500 in qualified PIN Point of Sale and signature-based purchases with your SunTrust MasterCard Check Card(s) or Delta SkyMiles World Check Card(s) within 90 days of checking account opening, SunTrust will deposit the $100 credit to your new checking account. Please allow 8 weeks for the $100 credit to be deposited to your new account. Only one $100 credit will be awarded per eligible new SunTrust personal checking account. The SunTrust personal checking account must be open and in good standing at the time of the $100 credit. For interest bearing checking accounts, the $100.00 bonus will be reported to you and the IRS on Form 1099-INT as interest income.

The offer is only available at SunTrust in-store branches between 8/30/2013 - 12/31/2013, and it is only available once per customer.

Offer is not listed online. In-store you will find a whiteboard and flyer with title - Want an extra $100 for groceries?
No hard pull.
Starter checks will have two routing numbers listed (additional routing number is for ACH/Direct Deposit).
Fee for account closed within first 6 months - $25.00.
SunTrust has stopped charging $20 to close account by mail.

Member Summary

Offer Pic
Thanks Minoritydan
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I used to have a checking account with them but closed it when I refinanced. They had some very complicated service fees that you can get caught by. I think this is the link with the details depending on the type of checking.

Looks like you need to maintain direct deposit or 10 transactions a month in the simplest circumstances (Everyday Checking, EZ Checking) or have a substantial deposit. I used to have signature advantage checking which you used to (no longer) get free with a mortgage with them, and even that got an interest rate of something like .01%. at the time.

Too bad, really - they have decent branches, but boy do you pay a whole lot for full-service banking with them and their nationwide branch network. In the D.C. area I found a smaller branch bank (mostly N Va) that's still paying 1.01% in my checking today with a good ATM network.

saradon said:   Looks like you need to maintain direct deposit or 10 transactions a month in the simplest circumstances (Everyday Checking, EZ Checking) or have a substantial deposit. I used to have signature advantage checking which you used to (no longer) get free with a mortgage with them, and even that got an interest rate of something like .01%. at the time.
For Everyday Checking -  There is no Monthly Maintenance Fee if you have Minimum Daily Collected Balance of $500 or more OR Monthly Direct Deposit (Requires one or more ACH deposit of at least $100 per deposit per statement cycle. Alliant ACH has worked previously). Easy for FWFers.

For EZ Checking - There is no Monthly Maintenance Fee if you have 10 or more Monthly Client Initiated Transactions (Deposit or withdrawal transactions performed by the client (includes transactions such as those made with the assistance of a teller, at an ATM, or by Direct Deposit, mobile device, wire transfer, Online Banking transfer, automatic transfer, telephone transfer, ACH debit or credit, check, or Check Card, including PIN point-of-sale (POS) purchases or signature-based purchases)) AND Paperless Online Statement.

saradon said:   

In the D.C. area I found a smaller branch bank (mostly N Va) that's still paying 1.01% in my checking today with a good ATM network.

Saradon,
What bank is offering that? Is it a rewards account?

NEDeals said:   
saradon said:   

In the D.C. area I found a smaller branch bank (mostly N Va) that's still paying 1.01% in my checking today with a good ATM network.

Saradon,
What bank is offering that? Is it a rewards account?

i'd be interested to know as well, please

Ok, I hadn't posted it because it's been around for a while (offered, then stopped, now offered again) and because it's not national, you need to be in the D.C. metro area but here's the information highlights for the checking account I have:

- Cardinal Bank (around 10-15 branches, most in N. Va., 2 in D.C., 1 in Suburban Md.)
- First Choice Checking Account. Info here     The rate was originally 2.0% (around a year-18 months ago) then 1.51, then 1.2, and now just lowered again to 1.01% for now. 
- Still, they have kept it higher than most everyone else, and it's a checking so you can have your deposits go right in without having to move money around between different accounts or make ACH transfers.
- Surcharge-free ATMs on SUM network   , which is pretty decent.  Mostly community banks (decent-sized local banks usually dealing with local businesses) and some credit unions participate in SUM.  Though web site is not elaborate for fancy searching, if you have a city and state combination or try a few zip codes there's a pretty good chance there is a surcharge-free ATM nearby or within a short distance, seems pretty nationwide coverage-wise. 
- They also have a new iphone and android ATM locator app (I have a blackberry so I have never tried it.)
- Also works on STAR and PLUS networks.  Visa debit card.
- Also reimburses up to $15 of ATM fees monthly.
- Free bill pay service.

Caveats (it's a decent account with good services and a good rate IMHO, so there have to be some of course):
- $5,000.00  minimum daily balance is required or subject to $15.00 monthly fee.  (IMHO, with less the difference in the rate wouldn't amount to too much)
- You can, but do not have to do the '10 debit transactions monthly' rewards-checking thing if you have direct deposit of any amount.  No minimum.
- Deposit must be 'new money' not presently on deposit with Cardinal Bank.

I hope this is helpful.  They seem to be a decent-sized distinctly local bank trying to grow and gain new customers and new deposits.  They do not really have a call center - so if you call them you may very well be speaking to someone seated at a desk in one of the brach lobbies who also would have opened the account for you if you had walked in the door, which is what I did.  You can also open it online, but if you do that I belive they will verify that you are in the D.C. area (undefined, but I presume they want to be certain that you can come to the branch if needed.)

I'll make a new thread for this since it really isn't the same thing as cash up-front.  I just wanted to reply to your posts.

I can confirm any ach deposit of $100+ works to waive monthy Everyday Checking account fee.

Cool thanks, there is one in a safeway near me and a few close to my work. I'll check it out and see if they have this offer.

I checked out this deal today, they finally had the sign up. Though the guy couldnt manage to find any paperwork with the offer terms. he seemed to think you needed $100 to open the account, so I will stop back sometime with cash and open this up.

Does Suntrust give you a grace period before charging you the monthly service fee?

Spend $500 on 9/13
Bonus received on 10/3

I guess they really mean it when they say no monetary instruments.

(i used my suntrust card to purchase a cd at trustbank on 9/17 (opened on 9/11) nothing showed up yet. darn.

update 12/12: I spent ~$500 in purchases (mostly to Newegg and some at Sam's Club) by thanksgiving. The time between finishing the promotion and receiving the bonus is 2 weeks. The $100 came today.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014