• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Basically, you have two choices:

• open a Basic Banking Package with no minimum requirements and get 20k TY points
  • lock in $50k in a Citigold Account Package for about 4 months and get 40k TY points

In either case, you have to make 1 DD and 1 bill pay per month for 2 months, and also either use their mobile app or sign up for paperless statements.

promo link   

Offer details: ThankYou® Points will be credited to your ThankYou Member Account within 90 days from the end of the statement period in which you satisfy all offer requirements.

1. Qualifications:

• To qualify for 30,000 bonus ThankYou Points, open a new Regular Checking account in The Citigold® Account Package; or to qualify for 10,000 bonus ThankYou Points, open a new Regular Checking account in The Citibank® Account Package or Basic Banking Package.
  • Within 60 days after account opening, you must enroll the new checking account in Citi ThankYou® Rewards and; 1 qualifying direct deposit must be credited, and 1 qualifying bill payment must be posted, to the new checking account and such activities must also occur during a calendar month and the following calendar month.
  • Qualifying direct deposits are Automated Clearing House (ACH) credits, which may include payroll, pension, or government payments (such as Social Security) by your employer or an outside agency. Qualifying bill payments are those made using Citibank® Online, Citi MobileSM or Citiphone Banking®. Bills paid by making a transfer between linked accounts and/or transfer payments made to accounts within Citibank or to accounts of Citibank affiliates do not qualify as bill payments for this offer.

2. To qualify for an additional 10,000 bonus ThankYou® Points:

• You must satisfy the qualifications described above AND within 60 days after account opening complete one of the following digital services:
    - Download the Citi MobileSM App and use the app to sign on with the same User ID and Password you use to access your new checking account online;
    - Or Enroll your new checking account in paperless statements.
    Citibank Online registration is required before you can complete any of these digital services.
  • Important Tax Information: Enrollment in Citi ThankYou Rewards and this offer limited to customers who are either citizens or resident aliens of the United States (U.S.) with a valid U.S. taxpayer identification number. The value of the rewards from redeemed Points may be reported to the IRS as miscellaneous income on Form 1099-MISC in the year redeemed, if the value of the rewards plus other taxable miscellaneous income awards received from Citibank, N.A., is in the aggregate $600 or greater for a calendar year, as required by applicable law. Customer is responsible for any applicable taxes.Separate enrollment of eligible checking account in Citi ThankYou® Rewards required. Citi ThankYou Rewards enrollment and participation are subject to terms, conditions and restrictions. Visit thankyou.com to see the various rewards available in the Citi ThankYou® Program; ThankYou Rewards and the ThankYou Point levels for specific rewards are subject to change without notice. Customers must log in to their ThankYou Member Account to see specific rewards and redemption values available to them.Offer is for new checking customers only, 18 years or older. All accounts subject to approval and applicable terms and fees. Limit of one offer per customer and account. Offer expires 10/31/13, may be modified or withdrawn at any time without notice, is not transferable and cannot be combined with any other offer. If you have received a bonus reward for opening a new Citibank consumer checking account within the past two years you will not be eligible to receive a bonus associated with this offer. Your new Regular Checking account in The Citigold Account Package, The Citibank Account Package or the Basic Banking Package must be open and in good standing at the time the bonus ThankYou Points are posted to your ThankYou Member Account.

Information about Banking Products and services

3. Get cash, get information and transfer balances between eligible linked Citibank accounts with no ATM usage fee when you use your Citibank ATM or Debit Card at ATMs at Citibank branches and Citibank-branded ATMs at other locations. Not all ATMs are owned or operated by Citibank. Not all functions available at all ATMs.

4. Citibank does not charge you a fee for using Citi Mobile or for the Citibank for iPad app. However, charges from your wireless carrier may apply. Regular account charges apply.

5. Citigold Account Package - Monthly service fee is waived if you maintain a combined average monthly balance of $50,000 in deposits and retirement balances OR $100,000 in combined average monthly balances in deposits, retirement, investments, credit cards, and loans/lines of credit excluding first mortgage, otherwise a $30.00 monthly service fee is applied. Ask for details.

Citibank Account Package - Monthly service fee is waived if you maintain a combined average monthly balance of $15,000 in eligible linked products otherwise a monthly service fee of $20.00 is applied. Eligible linked products are linked deposits, loans, mortgages, credit cards, retirement and investment accounts. Ask for details.

Basic Banking Package - Monthly service fee is waived if the following transactions are completed: maintain a combined average monthly balance of $1,500 in either your Basic checking or your linked Basic Savings Account OR if One Qualifying Direct Deposit is credited to your Basic Checking account or to a linked Day-to-Day Savings in a Basic Banking Package AND One Qualifying Bill Payment is posted to your Basic Checking account. Otherwise a $10.00 monthly service fee is applied. Qualifying bill payments are those made using Citibank=9px® Online, Citi MobileSM or CitiPhone Banking=9px®. Bills paid by making a transfer between linked accounts and/or transfer payments made to accounts within Citibank or to accounts with Citibank affiliates do not qualify as bill payments for this offer. Qualifying direct deposits are Automated Clearing House (ACH) credits, which may include payroll, pension, or government payments (such as Social Security) by your employer or an outside agency. Ask for details.

This page contains information about U.S. domestic financial services provided by the Citigroup family of companies and is intended for use domestically in the U.S.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
How often do they run this promotion? Looks like there are no current TY point offers for Citi checking at this time.

Grizz73 (Apr. 15, 2014 @ 2:11p) |

Really? I just received a targeted e-mail offer. Ends 6/30.

tjguitar85 (Apr. 15, 2014 @ 2:14p) |

I have three credit cards with Citi, I guess I will keep watching my email for a targeted offer, good to know

Grizz73 (Apr. 15, 2014 @ 2:29p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

"Offer is for new checking customers only", which has meant no if you have ever had an account.

I didn't check this offer, but on similar offers the fine print said it was only good fort hose who have not had an account in the last two years.

tjguitar85 said:   I didn't check this offer, but on similar offers the fine print said it was only good fort hose who have not had an account in the last two years.
That's not exactly true:
" If you have received a bonus reward for opening a new Citibank consumer checking account within the past two years you will not be eligible to receive a bonus associated with this offer."

Only people who received a bonus are excluded; having Citi accounts is permissable

Can I borrow $50k?

Do they run a hard credit inquiry?

is 40,000 TYP = $400 USD?

Isn't there a major issue with Citi issuing inflated 1099's for Checking Account TYP bonuses?

The value of the rewards from redeemed Points may be reported to the IRS as miscellaneous income on Form 1099-MISC in the year redeemed, if the value of the rewards plus other taxable miscellaneous income awards received from Citibank, N.A., is in the aggregate $600 or greater for a calendar year, as required by applicable law. Customer is responsible for any applicable taxes.

AugustFour said:   is 40,000 TYP = $400 USD?

Approximately, but you can not simply cash out like that.  You can get $400 in gift cards, or toward your mortgage, or toward Amazon, and a bit better toward airfare I believe.

I have absolutely no desire to give Citi $50K. Does anybody know how long after opening does Citi charge the monthly fee and how long the acct must stay open to keep the TY points?

steve1jr said:   Isn't there a major issue with Citi issuing inflated 1099's for Checking Account TYP bonuses?  

No, the issue was 1099s for the value of American Airlines Miles. Thank you points can't be inflated - it's not like they can be redeemed for more than around $0.01 per point.

dbl118 said:   

Approximately, but you can not simply cash out like that.  You can get $400 in gift cards, or toward your mortgage, or toward Amazon, and a bit better toward airfare I believe.

"towards your mortgage"

thetobster said:   
dbl118 said:   

"towards your mortgage"

I believe I read somewhere that they were cracking down on sneaky attempts at that.

dbl118 said:   

Most gift cards are not 100 TYP (earn from checking account) to $1 only a few are. CC TYP are 100 to $1.

prikindel said:   There are lots of fine print and looks like you have to lock 50k for several months to avoid monthly fees.
See all details here: https://banking.citibank.com/cbol/13/checking/q3/consumer/default.htm?Promo_ID=CZC3%20&intc=2~1~52~3~090313~2~Q3%202013%20Checking~WelcomePageTab1&BT_TX=1&ProspectID=4E948269E846498DBA7C6EBDA95B1B3D   

The basic banking package doesn't look too bad.  Can get 20k pts - only need to maintain $1500 balance or do 1 dd and 1 billpay per month.

dollarshort said:   I have absolutely no desire to give Citi $50K. Does anybody know how long after opening does Citi charge the monthly fee and how long the acct must stay open to keep the TY points?

Four months before they charge the fee. You can downgrade the account after you get the points.
neophyte said:   
tjguitar85 said:   I didn't check this offer, but on similar offers the fine print said it was only good fort hose who have not had an account in the last two years.
That's not exactly true:
" If you have received a bonus reward for opening a new Citibank consumer checking account within the past two years you will not be eligible to receive a bonus associated with this offer."

Only people who received a bonus are excluded; having Citi accounts is permissable

It says available to new customers only. I tried before and was told no since I already have accounts, even though I never received a bonus.

Updated OP with full offer description.

I am having trouble with Citi Mobile. There doesn't seem to be an app for blackberry or kindle...

Has Citi had any similar or better deals in the recent past? Just wondering if this offer is worth me giving up my Citi Banking new account status.

I can't remember anything better.

Did anyone tried CC funding with this account - it allowed up to $100K within the app ?

you have to mail in a form to fund with a credit card. Not worth it IMO

I'm in for the basic package. Just got the 30k TYP VISA..so the extra 20k will be nice.

I seemed to have issues with the application. They said I would see 2 triald eposits in a linked checking acct, but never saw it or any e-mail confirming hte application. GUess i will just open one in a branch.

Why not - you can fax it too ?

Just never use Citi own CC, and for other cards make sure that you authorize above Cash Advance limit - so it either processed as purchase or rejected

Let's see some datapoints, people must've tried it

tjguitar85 said:   I seemed to have issues with the application. They said I would see 2 triald eposits in a linked checking acct, but never saw it or any e-mail confirming hte application. GUess i will just open one in a branch.
  Yeah, mine froze on the "processing application" page and I haven't got any sort of email, etc.

Weird, I haven't gotten my checking account bonuses yet, but my second statement just closed. I did get the 425 points for a qualifying DD and bill pay, so clearly I met the terms of the bonus offer...

Anyone else have experience with this? Should we expect the rewards later on? I'm only familiar with programs that give you the bonus(es) on your final statement cut date, providing that is when you met the terms of the offer.

jaytrader said:   Weird, I haven't gotten my checking account bonuses yet, but my second statement just closed. I did get the 425 points for a qualifying DD and bill pay, so clearly I met the terms of the bonus offer...

Anyone else have experience with this? Should we expect the rewards later on? I'm only familiar with programs that give you the bonus(es) on your final statement cut date, providing that is when you met the terms of the offer.

When I signed up for this a few years ago, I had to request through secure message and they credited the points.

BTW, it seems the latest offer is only giving 10k points for basic banking.  

tjguitar85 said:   
jaytrader said:   Weird, I haven't gotten my checking account bonuses yet, but my second statement just closed. I did get the 425 points for a qualifying DD and bill pay, so clearly I met the terms of the bonus offer...

When I signed up for this a few years ago, I had to request through secure message and they credited the points.

BTW, it seems the latest offer is only giving 10k points for basic banking.  

Yeah, the offer I snagged (or hope I snagged) was the basic checking (10k) and if you use the mobile app, you get another 10k. I chatted them today and they told me to call the TYP "department." I'll try secure message. Thanks.

I did this about. 6omths ago. Took a while to credit. Read the fine print on the offer about how long they can take to credit the account. As I recall, they went 1-2 months and then it was after
The statement closing date.

Dear jaytrader: 

Recently, you contacted Citibank regarding your participation in our 3rd Quarter National Consumer Checking Promotion, which offered 20,000 ThankYou® Points redeemable for up to $200.00 in gift cards if certain terms and conditions were met. We appreciate your patience while waiting for our response. 

We have confirmed that your account has met the necessary requirements to qualify. Please allow 90 days from the date of the qualifying transaction(s), which satisfied the terms and conditions, to receive your incentive

Etc, etc, on and on...

Just in case anyone was wondering...

jaytrader said:   
Dear jaytrader: 

Recently, you contacted Citibank regarding your participation in our 3rd Quarter National Consumer Checking Promotion, which offered 20,000 ThankYou® Points redeemable for up to $200.00 in gift cards if certain terms and conditions were met. We appreciate your patience while waiting for our response. 

We have confirmed that your account has met the necessary requirements to qualify. Please allow 90 days from the date of the qualifying transaction(s), which satisfied the terms and conditions, to receive your incentive

Etc, etc, on and on...

Have you received your points?  It's been way over 90 days and I still have not received the points.  I just sent them a secured message and we'll see what they say.  Am getting tired of Citi's poor customer service...

I received the points last week, more than what I was expecting. Strange but I am not complaining lol.

niniss said:   
jaytrader said:   
Dear jaytrader: 

Etc, etc, on and on...

Have you received your points?  It's been way over 90 days and I still have not received the points.  I just sent them a secured message and we'll see what they say.  Am getting tired of Citi's poor customer service...

Yes, finally. It took three separate secure messages, but I got them. Each message was more convoluted than the last, so I'd say just be a squeaky wheel and hope they appear.

niniss said:   
jaytrader said:   
Dear jaytrader: 

Etc, etc, on and on...

After 2 phone calls and 1 secured email, I finally saw the points in my account!!

Congrats to all those that received their points

I just got another 20k points. However, thankyou.com is down for maintenance. I wonder if those extra 20k will disappear after the maintenance is concluded.

Has anyone closed their accounts yet? I think T&C said 6 months.

Skipping 6 Messages...
I have three credit cards with Citi, I guess I will keep watching my email for a targeted offer, good to know

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014