• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Citi just announced categories for Q4:

Best Buy
Department stores
Toy Stores

Bleh.

Department stores overlaps with Chase Freedom.  If talking about online purchases from these stores, all overlap with Discover.  Throw in ShopDiscover, and it'd be a no-brainer to go with Discover.

Wondering why I bothered to convert my old CDE card to Dividend.  Sigh.  Back to the sock drawer.

I wonder if Toy Stores includes adult toy stores.

Chris.

Member Summary

Citi
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I can't cancel as I had it for a few years. I'm not complaining tho. But compared to other cards, this is in last place!... (more)

barrytuneup (Nov. 24, 2013 @ 9:54p) |

Anal Penetration.  I figured that, based on your username, you were already aware of that.

HawkeyeNFO (Nov. 25, 2013 @ 12:22p) |

Citi sent me a similar offer for my Citi Professional card, except it was 5 TY Points/$1 spent at electronic stores (not... (more)

scottxmso (Dec. 22, 2013 @ 7:38p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What i don't like about the card is the max 300.00 Cash Back. 1st quarter drug stores took care of that.. Now its a completely worthless card.

Just make sure you use the card once a year or you'll lose whatever rewards you have accumulated.

woolfman72 said:   What i don't like about the card is the max 300.00 Cash Back. 1st quarter drug stores took care of that.. Now its a completely worthless card.

Thats exactly what makes the card worth it.  Id rather drop all 6K at the drug store than use any of the other worthless categories they come out with.

sackland87 said:   
woolfman72 said:   What i don't like about the card is the max 300.00 Cash Back. 1st quarter drug stores took care of that.. Now its a completely worthless card.

Thats exactly what makes the card worth it.  Id rather drop all 6K at the drug store than use any of the other worthless categories they come out with.

+1 to that.

What'd you buy at the drug store? Gift cards?

cpaynter said:   Wondering why I bothered to convert my old CDE card to Dividend. Sigh.Because you didn't have a choice?

Is the $300 max per year based on spend date or statement closing date? If later there will be an opportunity to spend in Dec end and get rewards on Jan statement.

Does Target count for this quarter's 5% Cash Back? It seems like a department store...

Has anyone confirmed the rollover "rumor" - that if you earn over $300 in CashBack in a year, the additional amount will rollover to next year?

danielsaenz said:   Does Target count for this quarter's 5% Cash Back? It seems like a department store...
  No. Neither does WalMart.

dukerau said:   Has anyone confirmed the rollover "rumor" - that if you earn over $300 in CashBack in a year, the additional amount will rollover to next year?

I have heard the same.  Can anyone substantiate this?

s3riously said:   
dukerau said:   Has anyone confirmed the rollover "rumor" - that if you earn over $300 in CashBack in a year, the additional amount will rollover to next year?

I spent about $6300 in the 5% category but got exactly $300 in rewards. Based on that, the cap is on earnings, not redemption, so you can't earn extra to roll over; hence the answer is mu.

I did have a few dollars left from 2012 that rolled over to 2013 thanks to the $50 redemption increment. Assuming a FIFO basis for redemption I expect that same amount to roll over to 2104.

curtster said:   
s3riously said:   

I spent about $6300 in the 5% category but got exactly $300 in rewards. Based on that, the cap is on earnings, not redemption, so you can't earn extra to roll over; hence the answer is mu.

I did have a few dollars left from 2012 that rolled over to 2013 thanks to the $50 redemption increment. Assuming a FIFO basis for redemption I expect that same amount to roll over to 2104.

Thanks for the data point.  I don't think this necessarily rules it out though.  It's possible that the extra amount wouldn't show up until the new year, although this seems extremely unlikely.  Sounds like you will know for certain in January

I think you're confusing this with another card.

Yeah, it doesn't really make much sense as they can always change the categories and furthermore, you have to enroll each time to be eligible. I agree with the consensus that roll over points ain't happenin'

scripta said:   
cpaynter said:   Wondering why I bothered to convert my old CDE card to Dividend. Sigh.
Because you didn't have a choice?

Actually, my CDE card converted to a ThankYou card, on which I got occasional quarterly specials emailed to me.  5% off certain categories, 5% or 2% off everything etc.  I figured I'd do better switching to the Dividend for a certain 5% on some categories each quarter.  So far, I'm wishing I had kept with the old TY card.  There wasn't guaranteed to be a 5% each quarter, but when there was an offer, it was always worth it.

Chris.

Oh, you're right, the default was a TY card

I never got anything on the TY card and closed it soon after the conversion (after milking one retention offer). Dividend is still good once or twice a year.

How do you sign up for the 5% category? It is not obvious when I go to my CITI site and look up the amount owed on the card? It may come in useful when the quarterly limit on the Discover card is reached.

ProfessorEd said:   How do you sign up for the 5% category? It is not obvious when I go to my CITI site and look up the amount owed on the card? It may come in useful when the quarterly limit on the Discover card is reached.
  Do you get alerts to your email address? If so, you might want to check it. Citi sent an email telling me all I had to do was click on a link within the email and I'd be signed up. I clicked and confirmed I was signed up.

One of my two cards got the targeted email, which I used to sign up.  The other card has yet to get any notification.  Traditionally, when you log into CitiCards.com, there'll usually be a graphic somewhere to sign up.  Barring that, you can go to Benefits & Services -> Limited Time Offers -- however, Citi's site seems particularly botched up with the Q4 signups.

They're either getting selective, or the web guy is on vacation this week...

ProfessorEd said:   How do you sign up for the 5% category? It is not obvious when I go to my CITI site and look up the amount owed on the card? It may come in useful when the quarterly limit on the Discover card is reached.
  I'm having the same problem.  I think we just need to wait a few days.  Sometimes it takes them a little time to enable the sign-up.

Just checked again this morning.  Signup is available, as per my instructions in my prior post.  Pasting the T&C, to avoid future "is Target a department store?" posts...

*Within 2 business days of when you accept this offer, or October 1, 2013, whichever is later, you will earn an additional 4% Cash Back on eligible purchases at Best Buy™ and department and toy stores between October 1, 2013, and December 31, 2013.  

Department stores are classified as large stand-alone merchants selling a general line of merchandise from departments that usually have separate checkout counters. Toy Stores are classified as stand-alone merchants that sell toys and games, and may sell a limited selection of do-it-yourself craft or hobby kits. 

We do not determine how merchants are classified, but they are generally classified based upon the merchant's primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Eligible purchases exclude balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, items returned for credit, fees and interest charges. In order to qualify for this offer, the account must be open and current at all times. If your account is closed for any reason, including if you convert to another product, you may no longer be eligible. Unless you received an offer indicating otherwise, you may earn up to $300 Cash Back per calendar year. 

BEST BUY, the BEST BUY logo and the tag design are trademarks of BBY Solutions, Inc. 

Citibank, N.A. will be solely responsible for all obligations in connections with the offer described herein. Citibank, N.A. is not responsible for the products and services offered by third parties.

does AP count as department store?

kvs25 said:   does AP count as department store?

"Department stores are classified as large stand-alone merchants selling a general line of merchandise from departments that usually have separate checkout counters."

For example: Macy's, Sears, Belk, etc. 

Excuse my ignorance, but what the flip is 'AP' ??!!??

Associated Press?
Assistant Principal?
Advanced Placement?
Applied Physics?
Accounts Payable?

Am_zon P_yments

naas said:   Am_zon P_yments
Thank you (now I feel like a ding dong).

I'm guessing that one would have a better shot with Chase for Discover next quarter for such 'AP' purchases...

HotSalami said:   
naas said:   Am_zon P_yments
Thank you (now I feel like a ding dong).

I'm guessing that one would have a better shot with Chase for Discover next quarter for such 'AP' purchases...

Discover, yes. Chase, most likely no with AP. Only with Amazon DOT com.

4Q seems similar to last year. Why can't Citi be more specific about qualifying merchants? I never have to guess w/Chase Freedom which stores do and don't fall under quarterly categories. Guess I'll be using whatever rewards I haven't used yet on GCs from Kohls & Toys-R-Us & maybe Best Buy. I'm assuming Kmart & Sears don't count since they're typically considered discount dept. stores(?)

CKritiv1 said:   4Q seems similar to last year. Why can't Citi be more specific about qualifying merchants? I never have to guess w/Chase Freedom which stores do and don't fall under quarterly categories. Guess I'll be using whatever rewards I haven't used yet on GCs from Kohls & Toys-R-Us & maybe Best Buy. I'm assuming Kmart & Sears don't count since they're typically considered discount dept. stores(?)
  In my experience, any form of Sears (department store, Sears hardware, Sears Parts, Sears Home Services,etc.) have always coded as department store.  Kmart, on the other hand, codes as discount store.

Chris.

Try calling 800-231-0891

larkin said:   Just make sure you use the card once a year or you'll lose whatever rewards you have accumulated.

Can anyone else confirm this?

I'm about to 'liquidate' this card in the next couple months. The $50 check and minimum redemption is an annoyance, the categories often stink and are getting worse, and I'm sitting at $30.xx in dividend dollars. I figure try to wrack up another $20 over the next couple months, edge just over $50, cash the last check, and then let it languish..

Krazen1211 said:   
larkin said:   Just make sure you use the card once a year or you'll lose whatever rewards you have accumulated.

I'm about to 'liquidate' this card in the next couple months. The $50 check and minimum redemption is an annoyance, the categories often stink and are getting worse, and I'm sitting at $30.xx in dividend dollars. I figure try to wrack up another $20 over the next couple months, edge just over $50, cash the last check, and then let it languish..

First quarter this year they offered Drug Stores as a category.  I'd keep your card around until at least January to see if they repeat that  - if so you can easily get the max $300 annual reward at CVS if you have them local to you.

steve1jr said:   
Krazen1211 said:   

First quarter this year they offered Drug Stores as a category.  I'd keep your card around until at least January to see if they repeat that  - if so you can easily get the max $300 annual reward at CVS if you have them local to you.

What on earth are people buying at a CVS for $6k? Visa gift cards of some sort?

Edit: I see, its a money churn.

Krazen1211 said:   
steve1jr said:   
Krazen1211 said:   

What on earth are people buying at a CVS for $6k? Visa gift cards of some sort?

3 words, stolen credit cards. 

steve1jr said:   
Krazen1211 said:   

Middle of Dec they usually tell its card member what will the next bonus categories will be. I've had this card for a long time...it always has been drugstores/fitness/etc for Q1...but since Drugstore purchases are hot, they may change it next year.

basically this card is crap. Wife and I signed up about 20 months ago for the bonus of 100.00CB. Socked drawered and get an offer on both cards for 25.00 CB for spending 500.00 thru end of Nov. Bought 2 VR (1 for each acct) and received a bill for 478.00. A quick 25.00-3.95=$21.00 on both accts. Now an extra 42.00 in BB acct waiting for next bill to pay!! The card is in the drawer. I never check the CB on this card.

Skipping 4 Messages...
Citi sent me a similar offer for my Citi Professional card, except it was 5 TY Points/$1 spent at electronic stores (not just Best Buy). I found a few threads talking about very similar promos they've run in the past, but they're all archived. But I can confirm so far: Newegg works for CashBack (categorized as an electronic store), but Micro Center in-store does not (categorized as a computer software store). I recently made another purchase on the card at Frys.com, which is categorized as an electronic store too and should get CashBack too.

However, I noticed the category for Newegg was "Merchandise - ELECTRONIC STORES", but the category for Fry's was simply "ELECTRONIC STORES". Is there any difference, or are these the same and I should be able to get CashBack? I forgot if there was any prohibition on using it for anything like online purchases or for services (rather than goods) at electronic stores. Thanks!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014