• filter:
  • 15 6 78916
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
StartByServingOthers said:   Anyone else get or look at the 'premium' checks? I have a $29.20 charge for "Deluxe Checks" posted to my account. They said I select "Greystone" or something that is a premium check. I don't remember being given any warning that these would carry a fee.† I only wanted checks because the first order was free, I certainly did not confirm any charges.

Anyone else run into this problem, or at least view them? Did I miss an obvious warning or was this something hidden in the small print if at all?

First order of checks are free† https://www.santanderbank.com/us/personal/banking/checking/extra20-checkingextra20 checking

• No monthly charge with $1,500 or more in total direct deposits for the service fee period (otherwise, $10)
  • First order of Santander checks free

They did the same for me ($29.20). I got the basic checks.† I think they are grey. I called 877-768-2265.† They said it's an error with Deluxe check company, and I got a refund via deposit from Deluxe.† Took 5 business days.

rated:
BenH said:   Did anyone else get checks from them in the mail?

I got mine and they never asked me what # I wanted my checks to start from, so they start at 100.
Also, there is no name at all on the checks, just my address!

††
I put in 501, but when I got them they started at 101.† Nice of them to listen.

rated:
BenH said:   So far, the only thing I am seeing in the thread in terms of ACH working are from AmEx Savings.
Can anyone yet confirm ACH from any other institution works?

ACH push from Alliant seems to have done the trick for $10:
EXTRA20 DIRECT DEPOSIT BONUS PRIOR PERIOD $10.00

However, my $2 x2 payments to FIA Card Services didn't yield the other $10. †I'll give it a few days -- if the second $10 credit doesn't post, I'll check to make sure that there are no payment minimums expected.

rated:
jtownsucks46 said:   this is how the ach push showed up:

12/06/2013 AMERICANEXPRESS TRANSFER 000000000008484784 $800.00

these are the bonus entries:

12/11/2013 EXTRA20 DIRECT DEPOSIT BONUS PRIOR PERIOD $10.00
12/11/2013 EXTRA20 BILL PAY BONUS PRIOR PERIOD $10.00

† Did you have another ACH? I though the requirement was $1500, you are showing $800?

rated:
For those that have received the bonus, did you pay 2 different billers, or 2 payments to the same biller? Wondering how they count it

rated:
coreyfr said:   
jtownsucks46 said:   this is how the ach push showed up:

12/06/2013 AMERICANEXPRESS TRANSFER 000000000008484784 $800.00

these are the bonus entries:

12/11/2013 EXTRA20 DIRECT DEPOSIT BONUS PRIOR PERIOD $10.00
12/11/2013 EXTRA20 BILL PAY BONUS PRIOR PERIOD $10.00

† Did you have another ACH? I though the requirement was $1500, you are showing $800?

† I had a partial real direct deposit from my employer as the other.

rated:
hpack said:   For those that have received the bonus, did you pay 2 different billers, or 2 payments to the same biller? Wondering how they count it
† mine was the same biller twice, pnc credit card payments

rated:
Alright, so I don't whether this is bank error in my favor or what, but just checking to see if this happened to anyone else here.

I opened the account with a credit card on 11/6. After all the Santander verification documents and such I had to send in they sent me access to online banking around 11/15. Upon logging into the account I saw my $500 deposit available for use dated 11/6 and showing the last four digits of my CC, so I used those funds as my 2 bill pays for the month, easy enough. Well, I thought something was strange as I keep a running tally in my head of all my CC balances. I went to online banking for my CC and sure enough, the Santander transaction is nowhere to be found. They never charged me the $500! So, it's been over a month now and still no charge. I thought by now they would have corrected their little error, but that does not appear to be the case.

Has anyone else had this happen here, and can they come back say 6 months later and go 'oops, we made a mistake, give us our money?'

rated:
chaster86 said:   Alright, so I don't whether this is bank error in my favor or what, but just checking to see if this happened to anyone else here.

I opened the account with a credit card on 11/6. After all the Santander verification documents and such I had to send in they sent me access to online banking around 11/15. Upon logging into the account I saw my $500 deposit available for use dated 11/6 and showing the last four digits of my CC, so I used those funds as my 2 bill pays for the month, easy enough. Well, I thought something was strange as I keep a running tally in my head of all my CC balances. I went to online banking for my CC and sure enough, the Santander transaction is nowhere to be found. They never charged me the $500! So, it's been over a month now and still no charge. I thought by now they would have corrected their little error, but that does not appear to be the case.

Has anyone else had this happen here, and can they come back say 6 months later and go 'oops, we made a mistake, give us our money?'

††nice, i'm jealous!

rated:
chaster86 said:   Alright, so I don't whether this is bank error in my favor or what, but just checking to see if this happened to anyone else here.

††This hasn't happened with me for Santander, but often I don't consider this sort of thing good news when it happens.† It may just mean a lot of extra work later on when they figure out what happened and want to fix it.† You could be up $500, but also†a good chance you'll just be up a headache down the road.† Good luck.

rated:
Anyone get this:

We are experiencing problems with your BillPay service.

Please try again later. If you continue to experience issues accessing your BillPay service, please contact Online Banking support at 1-877-768-2265, and select option 4. Santander representatives are available to assist you seven days per week between the hours of 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. ET.
e.100

rated:
Can we get both EXTRA20 CHECKING+ EXTRA20 SAVINGS ?

rated:
lmnop100 said:   There is actually a risk of losing money opening this account if you don't have "real" direct deposits available. There is a $10 monthly fee for not having $1500 or more in DDs per month, and a $25 early account closure fee if you close the account in the first 90 days. This can easily be a money loser if you are counting on an Ally / Capital One 360 / etc. transfer working.
† any way to get around this risk and avoid to become an easy money loser according to this post?

rated:
AugustFour said:   
lmnop100 said:   There is actually a risk of losing money opening this account if you don't have "real" direct deposits available. There is a $10 monthly fee for not having $1500 or more in DDs per month, and a $25 early account closure fee if you close the account in the first 90 days. This can easily be a money loser if you are counting on an Ally / Capital One 360 / etc. transfer working.
† any way to get around this risk and avoid to become an easy money loser according to this post?

It's confirmed that ach pushes from American Express savings work so it's not much of a stretch to think ach pushes from other banks will work, however, if for some reason they wouldn't, it's easy and free to open up an Amex savings and just add an extra step to the process. Also there is a ramp up period of†3 months where you won't get charged a fee for not having the $1500 direct deposit so conceivably if you had problems, you could close the account without an early closure fee and without being charged the $10 maintenance fee at the 91 day mark.

rated:
vickh said:   Can we get both EXTRA20 CHECKING+ EXTRA20 SAVINGS ?
††
Red for not reading the offer details.

rated:
i'm sure others 1st statement must have closed by now.......anyone want to share their experiences?

rated:
Well I finally got everything setup - only outstanding issue now is getting new checks, which are supposedly on the way.

I just setup a $1500 ACH push from Chase along with 2 Bill Pays to my AmEx card. Those should post this week and I'll keep updated with any bonuses.

rated:
I think my first statement will close on either 17th or 18th. I did ACH push from EverBank. We'll see if I get the bonus in a couple of days..

rated:
I think your ACH will work at least during the near future. They have very outdated IT systems.

rated:
I'm happy to report that my ACH push from EverBank works. I got the $20 bonus in my savings today

rated:
jolapo said:   
doveroftke said:   
jolapo said:   I used credit card for the initial deposit. But today I saw 2 $500 transactions being posted, one is from SANTANDER, and the other from SOVEREIGN BANK. I got charged twice!
Has anyone here seen this?

††
Pending or posted? Or one of each? If one or both of them is pending, I wouldn't worry about it, it'll drop off without posting.

† Both are posted.†One is from SANTANDER, and the other from SOVEREIGN BANK. If that was just pending, I wouldn't worry about it. I saw it being pending for a few days and thought one of them would drop off. But it didn't.†

Oh, this becomes ridiculous. After I saw the double charge on my credit card, I called Santander's customer service. The manager was rude. She refused to initiate any investigation, and asked me to dispute through my credit card company. I asked which one is the wrong charge. She said they only charge under SANTANDER. So that's what I did - I disputed the charge from SOVEREIGN.†

You know what happened today? My initial deposit of $500 is gone from my account!!!
OMG, this is the worst experience ever with a bank. Now I'm going to dispute the other $500. Not sure how the credit card company is going to respond. But, I'm curious what will happen to my bank account. Are they going to make my account negative $500?†

Please, Dear FWers, I really need your input on how to handle this. I will call the bank tomorrow, but really doubt that it will be any helpful.†
Suggestions, please!!!

rated:
jolapo said:   
jolapo said:   
doveroftke said:   
jolapo said:   I used credit card for the initial deposit. But today I saw 2 $500 transactions being posted, one is from SANTANDER, and the other from SOVEREIGN BANK. I got charged twice!

††
Pending or posted? Or one of each? If one or both of them is pending, I wouldn't worry about it, it'll drop off without posting.

† Both are posted.†One is from SANTANDER, and the other from SOVEREIGN BANK. If that was just pending, I wouldn't worry about it. I saw it being pending for a few days and thought one of them would drop off. But it didn't.†

Oh, this becomes ridiculous. After I saw the double charge on my credit card, I called Santander's customer service. The manager was rude. She refused to initiate any investigation, and asked me to dispute through my credit card company. I asked which one is the wrong charge. She said they only charge under SANTANDER. So that's what I did - I disputed the charge from SOVEREIGN.†

You know what happened today? My initial deposit of $500 is gone from my account!!!
OMG, this is the worst experience ever with a bank. Now I'm going to dispute the other $500. Not sure how the credit card company is going to respond. But, I'm curious what will happen to my bank account. Are they going to make my account negative $500?†

Please, Dear FWers, I really need your input on how to handle this. I will call the bank tomorrow, but really doubt that it will be any helpful.†
Suggestions, please!!!

††did calling the bank get you anywhere?

rated:
My ACH push from PNC and Great Lakes Credit Union worked.

rated:
11/14/2013 CC initial deposit
12/03/2013 billpay
12/03/2013 billpay
12/07/2013 bank TRANSFER
12/16/2013 EXTRA20 BILL PAY BONUS PRIOR PERIOD $10.00
12/16/2013 EXTRA20 DIRECT DEPOSIT BONUS PRIOR PERIOD $10.00

rated:
jtownsucks46 said:   
jolapo said:   
jolapo said:   
doveroftke said:   

††

Suggestions, please!!!

††did calling the bank get you anywhere?

† I called them once but the customer representative didn't know how to help, and the supervisor refused to help. I'm thinking posting at the bank's facebook and twitter.†

Should I ACH $10 to my account just in case they charge me the monthly fee and make it overdraft?†

rated:
they shouldn't charge a monthly fee during the first 3 months of account opening

rated:
Transfer from Chase earlier this month counted as DD and I received my first $20 bonus already. This is great!

rated:
For those of you having success with ACH from other banks as DD, how is it coded?

For instance my Chase one is coded as:

JPMorgan Chase Ext Trnsfr

Are others coded similarly?

rated:
BenH said:   For those of you having success with ACH from other banks as DD, how is it coded?

For instance my Chase one is coded as:

JPMorgan Chase Ext Trnsfr

Are others coded similarly?

† My American Express ones were also coded as transfers.

rated:
These no-talent assclowns lost my signature cards and closed my accounts without warning. Since I opened online, branches can't pull up any info on the account. Since my accounts are closed, customer service doesn't have enough information in their system on me anymore to verify my identity over the phone, so they refuse to talk to me. I even switched my real DD to them to make sure I'd get the bonus, so now I have a bounced DD from work and probably bounced checks I've written on the account.

This hassle isn't worth $20 a month. Never dealing with these morons again.

rated:
Maybe you should've opened the bank account at a branch? That way, it is easier and they can verify your identity. Also, you shouldn't be writing checks that early in your account unless you know for sure your account is valid. Don't you have another bank account you could've written your checks from?

rated:
DWooley said:   11/14/2013 CC initial deposit
12/03/2013 billpay
12/03/2013 billpay
12/07/2013 bank TRANSFER
12/16/2013 EXTRA20 BILL PAY BONUS PRIOR PERIOD $10.00
12/16/2013 EXTRA20 DIRECT DEPOSIT BONUS PRIOR PERIOD $10.00

† I've had a very similar experience.† My two billpays were manual (ie, I physically clicked on the 'billpay' tab).

Promotion requires that the two billpays have to be "through the billpay tab"

Anyone know if auto-billpays will fill the bill, or does one have to do it manually?

rated:
kenblakely said:   
† I've had a very similar experience.† My two billpays were manual (ie, I physically clicked on the 'billpay' tab).

Promotion requires that the two billpays have to be "through the billpay tab"

Anyone know if auto-billpays will fill the bill, or does one have to do it manually?

††
In order to setup auto-billpay you have to go "through the billpay tab."

I can't see that they will make a distinction.

rated:
How do they decide the qualification period? Is it monthly or from the time when your opening deposit went through?

rated:
I think Chase just charged my initial funding of $500 as a cash advance subject to a 5% fee...ugh.

Anyway to find out for sure while the transaction is still pending?

rated:
Reading this thread i cant tell whether this deal is worth it or not.

Do they have mobile checck deposits at least?

rated:
what is the last word on this deal? good or bad? (i'm sitting on a fence for now...)

rated:
KYBOSH said:   Reading this thread i cant tell whether this deal is worth it or not.

Do they have mobile checck deposits at least?

† They do not currently but the Android app does ask for permission to use the camera when installing.

rated:
AugustFour said:   what is the last word on this deal? good or bad? (i'm sitting on a fence for now...)
††Overall I think it's a good deal once you get everything set up. Free $20 a month which will add up over the course of a year/years. Some people have had issues in setting up their accounts online so I would go to the bank and do it in person. Don't expect to receive good or even decent customer service from this bank in person or by phone. But really for me it's going to be a set it and forget it as far as the direct deposits and 2 automatic bills.

rated:
freeka said:   How do they decide the qualification period? Is it monthly or from the time when your opening deposit went through?

† Mine was based on account opening date (mid-month)

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014