Steinfeld v. Discover settlement

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
An e-mail came to my spam folder today about a Discover card settlement with estimated payouts between $20 and $40.
www.SteinfeldTCPASettlement.com

I was lucky enough to get several hundred dollars in the Chase Payment Protector settlement, I'm not hopeful that will happen here, but ever since then I always join the class actions
email said: IF YOU RECEIVED A CALL THROUGH THE USE OF AN AUTOMATIC TELEPHONE DIALING SYSTEM AND/OR A PRERECORDED VOICE FROM DISCOVER TO YOUR CELLULAR TELEPHONE BETWEEN NOVEMBER 30, 2007 AND SEPTEMBER 10, 2013, THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES YOUR RIGHTS IN CONNECTION WITH SETTLEMENT OF A LAWSUIT AND YOUR POTENTIAL RECOVERY.
You may be entitled to a payment under a proposed class action settlement. In the lawsuit entitled Andrew Steinfeld v. Discover Financial Services, et al., U.S.D.C., Northern District of California Case No. 3:12-cv-01118-JSW (the “Action”), Plaintiffs claim that Discover Financial Services or related parties (including Discover Bank, The Student Loan Corporation and Discover Home Loans) (“Discover”) violated the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, 47 U.S.C. § 227, et seq. (the “TCPA”), by placing calls on or after November 30, 2007 to cellular telephones through the use of an automatic telephone dialing system or an artificial or prerecorded voice without the prior express consent of Plaintiffs and the putative class members. Discover denies these claims and denies any claim of wrongdoing. The Court has not decided who is right. However, in settlement of the Action, Discover has agreed to implement practice changes and establish a settlement fund of $8.7 million. This notice is only a summary. Details of the settlement, including information on how to file a claim, are available at www.SteinfeldTCPASettlement.com  or by writing to or calling the Claims Administrator at the address or toll-free number below.

Discover’s records indicate that you may be a member of the Settlement Class because Discover may have placed a call to your cellular telephone number using an automatic telephone dialing system or an artificial or prerecorded voice at some time between November 30, 2007 and September 10, 2013. Settlement Class Members may (1) submit Revocation Request Forms requesting that Discover cease making calls to their cellular telephone numbers using an automatic telephone dialing system or an artificial or prerecorded voice, (2) submit Claim Forms requesting money from the settlement in the form of a check or in the form of a one-time credit against the balance of their Discover credit card account, (3) exclude themselves from the settlement, (4) object to the settlement, and/or (5) do nothing. Class Counsel estimate that settlement payments or credits will be between $20 and $40, but could be more or less based on factors including the number of claims submitted.

You cannot receive a payment unless your claim is received by February 25, 2014. In addition to payments to the Settlement Class Members, the settlement provides for not more than $2,175,000 in attorneys’ fees and costs and $2,000 in service awards for the two representative plaintiffs to be sought from the Court by counsel for the Settlement Class. In the event that there are any remaining monies from uncashed checks totaling $50,000 or less, such monies will be paid to charity.

If you do not want to be legally bound by the settlement, you may opt out of the settlement by sending a request for exclusion to the Claims Administrator postmarked no later than January 13, 2014. If you exclude yourself from the settlement, you will not receive any money or other benefits from the settlement. If you stay in the settlement (i.e. do not exclude yourself from the settlement), you may object to the settlement by explaining in writing why you do not like the settlement postmarked no later than January 13, 2014. You will be bound by the settlement if your objection is rejected. If you do nothing (i.e. submit no claim or request for exclusion) you will not receive any benefits from the settlement but will nevertheless be bound by the settlement. All Settlement Class Members who do not exclude themselves will be bound by any judgment approving the settlement and will give up any right to sue Discover or related parties for any known or unknown claims relating to calls made to their cellular telephone numbers, including alleged violations of the TCPA.

TO OBTAIN FULL INSTRUCTIONS FOR EXCLUDING YOURSELF, FILING AN OBJECTION, SUBMITTING A REVOCATION REQUEST FORM, OR SUBMITTING A CLAIM FORM, GO TO WWW.STEINFELDTCPASETTLEMENT.COM, OR WRITE OR CALL THE CLAIMS ADMINISTRATOR AT STEINFELD TCPA CLAIMS ADMINISTRATOR, P.O. BOX 43209, PROVIDENCE, RI 02940-3209 OR 1-800-248-1796 (TOLL-FREE).

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Submit / Request Claim Form:

You can not submit or request a Claim Form at this time. This functionality will be available at a later date

Click on the 'Submit a Claim' link in the sidebar - that one worked for me.  If you use the claim number provided in the email, the form largely self-populates.  Hopefully the statement credit will arrive sometime in this millenium...

thanks! it worked great!!

What is the deeaaal with this settlement??
Please don't abuse, even though Seinfeld can afford it...

RancidMoose said:   Click on the 'Submit a Claim' link in the sidebar - that one worked for me.  If you use the claim number provided in the email, the form largely self-populates.  Hopefully the statement credit will arrive sometime in this millenium...
  What is the claim#? I don't see it in the mail?

TIA

If you can't find it on the e-mail, you don't have very good reading skills. If you don't have a claim number, you obviously can't just use somebody else's.

hello, i got a letter about this in the mail .what is it about ? 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014