• 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

State Farm Bank customers Free Turbotax 2012
Disclaimer

State Farm TurboTax 2013
Disclaimer
Start Farm has posted their annual offer of free Turb0Tax.

Go to State Farm Promotion Login page 
Sign in to your State Farm account, you would see link to free Turb0Tax Deluxe Online 2013. 

***Please note that simply logging into your Turb0Tax account via the State Farm link does NOT register or get you free State & efile..

Follow steps below to get free State & efile: -

1. Log into your Turb0Tax account after you have gone through above mentioned State Farm link. (If you used the Turb0Tax software last year, it will ask you if you want to import last years info. Click yes).
2. Continue by selecting Turb0Tax Deluxe
3. Under "2013 Tax Info", complete "Personal Info" section
4. Then Under "2013 Tax Info", go to "State & Wrap up" section.
5. Let it transfer your information from Federal to State.
6. Click "< Back to 2013 Tax Info" on top left.
7. Click "Print Center" then click "Print, save or preview this year's return". It will ask you to register. Register.
8. On left sidebar, Click "Tools" then "Turb0Tax fees"

You should see something similar to
Turb0Tax Online - Deluxe $0.00 (Paid)   
Turb0Tax State: 'Name of your state' $0.00 (Paid)

They do not appear to have all the forms yet & efile option hasn't been activated yet. Once it is activated (around January 3 or 4), I will update OP with instruction to register for free efile.

You must have State Farm credit card or checking account for this offer. State Farm Free Checking Account has No monthly fees, No minimum balance requirements, Minimum opening deposit is $25, initial 50 checks are free, Soft pull, and pays no interest. Usually, offer is limited to first 25,000 that Register to use Turb0Tax Online.

2012 thread 
2011 thread 
2010 thread 

Member Summary

Turbotax Deluxe Online
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
anyone still seeing free through State Farm? I'm getting a total of $54.

Mikeyiscool (Feb. 16, 2014 @ 9:24a) |

It seems TurboTax is trying to get you to buy more stuff. I tried to add a bond sale, it said I needed premier for $20.... (more)

cjchaps (Feb. 21, 2014 @ 4:25p) |

If you click through to the next page to order, the discounted price of $50 shows up.

jeanbloomquist (Feb. 28, 2014 @ 11:13a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TY so much, OP, for the clear instructions.

The Intuit landing page says "state additional" under Deluxe, but following the OPs instructions should get you to the point where under Tools->Fees, you see $0 for State, too.

Thanks, OP and  FWF

Thank you OP! Excellent work, as always.

Thanks OP! Registered successfully for my free Federal & State filings.

duplicate

Thanks OP - a State Farm CSR had told me the link wouldn't be available until mid-January.
BTW, if you prefer the download version of the program instead of online filing, downloads are available through the same link. When you get to the TurboTax page, instead of clicking start a return, click on the tab for Download/CD. The page will give you the available versions and prices. Prices are the same as last year - Federal Basic is free; Deluxe Federal + State is $20, etc.

This promo is also available if you have a State Farm credit card. This is all I have.

I am confused. In my state farm offers I only see "Federal Free Edition", the "Deluxe Edition" is $29.99. I agree, I think the OP has jumped the gun. This offer usually doesn't hit until Janurary. I have it for the last 3 or 4 years, but have never been able to get the link until Janurary...

OP did not jump the gun, followed his clear instructions and have both fed deluxe and state returns for free now online.  Have also done this with no issues for at least 5 years now, never paid a dime for tax prep software.

Are you sure that this is all you need to do? I had already started my taxes for this year for planning pursposes, and if I just follow OP's instructions, it doesn't seem to unlock printing/e-filing. I think you need to do the additional step of printing your forms (incomplete is fine). It then asks you to register, shows the $0 pricing information, and you can then download the forms (the pages also start showing a state farm logo).

I saw online that Schedule D is not included in the TT deluxe ONLINE version, but it IS available in the DESKTOP version.  Does anyone know if the DOWNLOAD version contains Schedule D?

NM, saw that someone else said that the DOWNLOAD version DOES contain Schedule D.

What's up with "Turb0Tax?"

dblevitan said:   Are you sure that this is all you need to do? I had already started my taxes for this year for planning pursposes, and if I just follow OP's instructions, it doesn't seem to unlock printing/e-filing. I think you need to do the additional step of printing your forms (incomplete is fine). It then asks you to register, shows the $0 pricing information, and you can then download the forms (the pages also start showing a state farm logo).
  Added step # 7 to OP. After registering, under Turb0Tax fees, it shows (Paid).
fr said:   What's up with "Turb0Tax?"
To avoid automatically link certain words to URLs in my message

I didn't have a SFarm account, so I signed up to open a checking acct via a payment from my cc. Worked fine. I didn't select any local agent in the sign-up process, so I'll probably go into some agent-pool; or maybe, if I'm stupendously lucky, all I'll get is the usual bulk mail stuff that I would get from the local SFarm agent anyway.

After signing up I followed OP's directions, which mostly proceeded as written. Going slowly, however, worked wonders, because there were a few differences, e.g., no section entitled "State & Wrap up" but, going to "State" accomplished the same thing. I also had to futz around a bit using Everything.exe to find my 2012 return to import. That may have been due, in part, to the fact that I couldn't file electronically last year (problems with recharacterization of an IRA). "Everything" managed to find the correct file, though, and the import from 2012 went fine thereafter (although the software did cause me a brief moment of anxiety when it said it was now ready to calculate my 2012 taxes, rather than 2013). Regardless, when it finished the import it went back to telling me it was working on 2013. Per OP's steps 7&8 (Print Center elements) everything then went along as described, with a final cost of $0.00--my favorite amount on the liabilities side. So, many thanks, CSREWallet! I'll look forward to your updates.

jlkc said:   I saw online that Schedule D is not included in the TT deluxe ONLINE version, but it IS available in the DESKTOP version.  Does anyone know if the DOWNLOAD version contains Schedule D?

NM, saw that someone else said that the DOWNLOAD version DOES contain Schedule D.

So it seems like if you need to do schedule D's with the State Farm offer, you've either got to pay $20 to get the download version, or some upgrade price to get Premier online.

Is this correct?

jlkc said:   I saw online that Schedule D is not included in the TT deluxe ONLINE version, but it IS available in the DESKTOP version.  Does anyone know if the DOWNLOAD version contains Schedule D?

Yes, and either way you will end up paying $20. The downloadable version of Deluxe is $20 and the upgrade to Premier online is also $20.

tbuccelli said:   

Yes, and either way you will end up paying $20. The downloadable version of Deluxe is $20 and the upgrade to Premier online is also $20.

I wonder if there will be a backlash against this that will cause them to reconsider their decision to not have the online product support schedule D's. Supporting investments has always been a major feature of the upgrade to TT Deluxe.

FSGilbert said:   I didn't have a SFarm account, so I signed up to open a checking acct via a payment from my cc. Worked fine. I didn't select any local agent in the sign-up process, so I'll probably go into some agent-pool; or maybe, if I'm stupendously lucky, all I'll get is the usual bulk mail stuff that I would get from the local SFarm agent anyway.

After signing up I followed OP's directions, which mostly proceeded as written. Going slowly, however, worked wonders, because there were a few differences, e.g., no section entitled "State & Wrap up" but, going to "State" accomplished the same thing. I also had to futz around a bit using Everything.exe to find my 2012 return to import. That may have been due, in part, to the fact that I couldn't file electronically last year (problems with recharacterization of an IRA). "Everything" managed to find the correct file, though, and the import from 2012 went fine thereafter (although the software did cause me a brief moment of anxiety when it said it was now ready to calculate my 2012 taxes, rather than 2013). Regardless, when it finished the import it went back to telling me it was working on 2013. Per OP's steps 7&8 (Print Center elements) everything then went along as described, with a final cost of $0.00--my favorite amount on the liabilities side. So, many thanks, CSREWallet! I'll look forward to your updates.

So did you have to wait for some time after opening the checking account?  Because when I try to go through the registration, I'm pasting the account number I got from State Farm for the account signup, but get "Please verify bank account number" when trying to register.  Makes me think the account has to be funded before I can register?

Chris.

ETA:  nm, I got it!

cpaynter said:   
FSGilbert said:   I didn't have a SFarm account, so I signed up to open a checking acct via a payment from my cc. Worked fine. I didn't select any local agent in the sign-up process, so I'll probably go into some agent-pool; or maybe, if I'm stupendously lucky, all I'll get is the usual bulk mail stuff that I would get from the local SFarm agent anyway.

So did you have to wait for some time after opening the checking account?  Because when I try to go through the registration, I'm pasting the account number I got from State Farm for the account signup, but get "Please verify bank account number" when trying to register.  Makes me think the account has to be funded before I can register?

Chris.

That is correct.  According to CHAT you have to wait for the account to fund.  However the email I received did NOT have an account number it only had CONFIRMATION NUMBER.  I funded by ACH not CC so maybe that made a difference.

Anyone know if they have a downloadable version for Macs/OSX?

Strange the TurboTax site doesn't mention the 2013 tax year beyond the initial page and that "Federal and State" is not mentioned on the order screen. Has anyone downloaded and confirmed this CD is for 2013 and includes free state?

blue427cobra said:   Strange the TurboTax site doesn't mention the 2013 tax year beyond the initial page and that "Federal and State" is not mentioned on the order screen. Has anyone downloaded and confirmed this CD is for 2013 includes free state?
  Go to Turb0tax.com and look under PRODUCTS.  Details and comparisons for every 2013 version (download and online) are there.

Can't say for sure what is occurring, but Chris is right in that I funded by cc, rather than ACH. Wells Fargo charges $3 to xfer from them to someone else (free in other direction), so I chose to use my cc to fund the account. There was no lag in being able to get to the Turb0Tax offer using the cc-funding method.

OK, I'm in.  First, I had screwed up and hadn't finished the last step of registration last night.  Apparently, as a result, it wasn't recognizing my account number.  So this morning I started the process all over again.  This time I followed through to the final step, but SF said it was having technical problems with the registration.  Waited a bit and tried registering through the home page, and was successful.  But then when I actually logged in, it turns out they actually opened two deposit accounts, so two $100 CC transactions.  Whoopee!  That's a whole $4 in CC rewards!  I'll probably just have to get both combined into a single account.  Edit: I'm glad the OP says there's no hard pull, because I'd have to have used two hard pulls for this!  

Also, while the confirmation email only had a confirmation number, State Farm did give me an actual account number on the penultimate registration screen.  I used that account number to register for online access.

Anyhow, I was able to sign up and register for the free TurboTax Deluxe fed & state.  Thanks OP!

Chris.

billrubin said:   So it seems like if you need to do schedule D's with the State Farm offer, you've either got to pay $20 to get the download version, or some upgrade price to get Premier online.

Is this correct?

You can still use the TurboTax Basic free download to do Schedule D. I just download my transactions from my brokerage and Schedule D is generated from that.  I've never needed the additional interview process you get in TurboTax Deluxe.

Per OP, "Soft pull, and pays no interest."

Funding via Cc - does that end up getting treated as cash advance? Have a 5k spend goal to hit rewards bonus, but not enough to pay cash advance rates!

BlackFire said:   Funding via Cc - does that end up getting treated as cash advance? Have a 5k spend goal to hit rewards bonus, but not enough to pay cash advance rates!
  Most you can do with a CC is $100 (maybe $200 - don't remember) I believe.  Just do $25 and worse case it will cost you a buck.

Mine cc history shows the payment to SFarm as a pending transaction for $25. However, the detail indicates it was categorized as WIRE TRANSFER MONEY ORDERS, and that, "Because this is a pending transaction, the final amount may change.If a pending transaction appears twice, it doesn't indicate that your account will be billed twice. The actual amount you spent will appear when it posts to your account within five (5) business days." I don't know if that eventually will trigger a service charge or not, since I have no experience using the card for cash advances. Maybe someone else can interpret what CapitalOne means by all of that.

Why not just use a debit card or ACH transfer? Too risky to pay cash advance fees.

FSGilbert said:   Can't say for sure what is occurring, but Chris is right in that I funded by cc, rather than ACH. Wells Fargo charges $3 to xfer from them to someone else (free in other direction), so I chose to use my cc to fund the account. There was no lag in being able to get to the Turb0Tax offer using the cc-funding method.
  Are you saying that they charge $3 for an outgoing transfer if initiated by the receiving bank?? I've never heard of that before. I can see them charging for initiating it on their site, but presumably you'd be doing a pull from SF, not a push from WG.

billrubin said:   
FSGilbert said:   Can't say for sure what is occurring, but Chris is right in that I funded by cc, rather than ACH. Wells Fargo charges $3 to xfer from them to someone else (free in other direction), so I chose to use my cc to fund the account. There was no lag in being able to get to the Turb0Tax offer using the cc-funding method.
  Are you saying that they charge $3 for an outgoing transfer if initiated by the receiving bank?? I've never heard of that before. I can see them charging for initiating it on their site, but presumably you'd be doing a pull from SF, not a push from WG.

They only charge if YOU initiate ACH from your WF account but for an ACH PULL they never charge.  I've done hundreds of them  without fee over the years. 

Cap One just hit me with a $10 CA fee for a $25 deposit via CC.

Has anyone had success downloading the Business Turbo Tax for $50?

When I go to download check out, the price changed from $50 to $149 (regular price)?

It is best to start by paying the $20 or so to purchase a downloadable copy, if you plan to eventually.

This is easier than making sure you get the free online service, and you see immediately if you are not getting the price expected (unlike with the online process where you can find that you must pay or start over if you did it wrong)..

As pointed out, this gets you the state tax forms filled in. Also I find that you need this, if you want to go form by form, which at least I do. I do not see how to override certain details without going form by form.

Even if eventually everything will be filled in with the exact numbers, I plan to make intelligent estimates now to determine things like whether it is my interest to do some last minute moves such as selling securities, large charitable contributions, taking more money from my retirement account, paying certain bills this year (rather than next) etc.

If you start with the free online version (per instructions), the work done appears not to transfer when you buy the downloaded version. Even if this is just the updating of the personal information and dependents, this is some lost time.

Thanks again State Farm Bank!!!

Thanks OP for the instructions too!

MisterEd said:   Cap One just hit me with a $10 CA fee for a $25 deposit via CC.

Ditto for Barclay Arrival card. 

Chris.

Thanks OP!! I couldn't find the link on the State Farm site, I kept ending up at last years page. With a son in college, need to get those taxes done ASAP and get that wonderful FAFSA filed.

Turbotax 2014?
Disclaimer
Nothing happens after clicking the "Get Started" button. Anyone else having this problem? Also weird is that my page after following op's link says TurboTax 2014...
I've tried IE10 and Chrome, also private mode, no dice.

Skipping 38 Messages...
If you click through to the next page to order, the discounted price of $50 shows up.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.