• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
TD Ameritrade has upped their IRA brokerage bonus at the $500K level to a relatively generous $1500 - details. 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Thanks, looks like transferring cash no matter in what amount would be a losing proposition.

BrunoB (Feb. 07, 2014 @ 8:03p) |

For comparison, Merrill Edge has only 90 days of hold time.

BrunoB (Feb. 08, 2014 @ 4:41p) |

Only two months of free stock trades, used to be three months. This really isn't a better offer if you have under $500K.... (more)

MitchFlorida (Feb. 15, 2014 @ 9:58a) |

Roll over or transfer to existing IRA.  Account must remain open with minimum funding required for participating in the offer for 12 months, or TD Ameritrade may charge the account for the cost of the cash awarded to the account.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

$500 cash for 100k seems like a sweet spot.
Other tiers:
$50 cash for 10k
$200 cash for 50k
$500 cash for 100k
$1000 cash for 250k
$1500 cash for 500k
$2500 cash for 1 mil.

existing accounts eligible?

ssgcinty said:   existing accounts eligible?
  Come on now - read the T&C.

What about bonus for $200K (but not $250K)?

What bond platform do they use at TD Ameritrade? Is it "Bond Desk" similar to ETrade ?

BrunoB said:   What about bonus for $200K (but not $250K)?
  What about it? Would you like us to make something up?

BrunoB said:   What about bonus for $200K (but not $250K)?
  What about the bonus for $205,523?

Check the termination fees on your current IRA, may kill the deal.

Does Vanguard or other Brokerages let you do a partial roll over, or is it all or nothing?

dmlavigne1 said:   Check the termination fees on your current IRA, may kill the deal.
   "Transfer fee refund of $75 requires a $10,000 transfer within 180 days of either account opening or from registering existing account online for the offer. Please allow 3-4 weeks from
account funding for the cash bonus and/or transfer fee rebate to post to your account." 

heyeaglefn said:   Does Vanguard or other Brokerages let you do a partial roll over, or is it all or nothing?
  Partial or complete - it's your money.

Sorry I do not mean to be repetitive but any "increased" bonus for amounts such as $125K, $150K or $175K?

Sharebuilder/CapitalOne has also promotion (for new and existing customer):

Assets must be valued at $10,000 to be eligible for a $100 bonus; $25,000 for a $200 bonus; $50,000 for a $300 bonus; or $125,000 for a $600 bonus. Enter promo code FUTURE1 for new accounts, or FUTURE600 for existing accounts, by 12/31/2014. Corresponding transfer must be completed to the same account within 90 days after the code is entered.

http://content.sharebuilder.com/mgdcon/jump/assetgathering/2014/...

Fineprint: This promotion seems to require you to sign up for Amerivest.
"Offer valid for clients who respond online to the offer and either: 1) open and fund a new TD Ameritrade retirement account or a retirement account using the Amerivest service OR 2) complete a qualifying deposit, rollover, or external transfer into an existing TD Ameritrade retirement account or a retirement account using the Amerivest service."

Amerivest is their managed brokerage service. Not sure what the fees are (if any), but this does not appear to be a plain-jane self-managed IRA.

larryc said:   Fineprint: This promotion seems to require you to sign up for Amerivest.
"Offer valid for clients who respond online to the offer and either: 1) open and fund a new TD Ameritrade retirement account or a retirement account using the Amerivest service OR 2) complete a qualifying deposit, rollover, or external transfer into an existing TD Ameritrade retirement account or a retirement account using the Amerivest service."

Amerivest is their managed brokerage service. Not sure what the fees are (if any), but this does not appear to be a plain-jane self-managed IRA.
 

  No it does not. You open and fund a new
TD Ameritrade retirement account
OR
a retirement account using the Amerivest service.
Amerivest service is an option but not a requirement.

Does anyone know what platform they use for their municipal bond offers? Is it Bond Desk?

larryc said:   Fineprint: This promotion seems to require you to sign up for Amerivest.
"Offer valid for clients who respond online to the offer and either: 1) open and fund a new TD Ameritrade retirement account or a retirement account using the Amerivest service OR 2) complete a qualifying deposit, rollover, or external transfer into an existing TD Ameritrade retirement account or a retirement account using the Amerivest service."

Amerivest is their managed brokerage service. Not sure what the fees are (if any), but this does not appear to be a plain-jane self-managed IRA.

 
The way I read that, either option 1 or 2 require using Amerivest.

After poking around on their website I found this on the Quarterly ETF performance update on the Amerivest page:
[S=https://www.tdameritrade.com/retail-en_us/resources/pdf/TDA3390.... said: https://www.tdameritrade.com/retail-en_us/resources/pdf/TDA3390.pdf][/S]Maximum net annual advisory fees of 1.00% (fees vary by amount invested; please refer to the ADV Part 2 for complete fee schedule) are paid in advance and are deducted from cash at the beginning of each quarter. Results also include the deduction of the exchange traded fund expenses of the underlying funds, including 12b-1 fees, administrative costs, and other various operational expenses. The returns calculated are net of advisory fees. Net-of-fees performance results for each composite are rounded to the nearest 0.01%. Trade-date accounting was utilized in the calculation of performance results for the period under review. No taxes are being considered. TD Ameritrade


 

is this after tax and can I withdraw anytime? Sorry a bit clueless about IRA

jigsaw1975 said:   is this after tax and can I withdraw anytime? Sorry a bit clueless about IRA
This is simply an incentive to "park" IRA assets with TD Ameritrade and, obviously, become their their customer. It has nothing per se to do with taxes, "before" or "after," or withdrawals. You don't want to be "clueless" regarding tax-deferred accounts. IRS regulations are strict, and, if you mishandle things, you could risk serious tax consequences.

Onenote said:   
larryc said:   Fineprint: This promotion seems to require you to sign up for Amerivest.
"Offer valid for clients who respond online to the offer and either: 1) open and fund a new TD Ameritrade retirement account or a retirement account using the Amerivest service OR 2) complete a qualifying deposit, rollover, or external transfer into an existing TD Ameritrade retirement account or a retirement account using the Amerivest service."

Amerivest is their managed brokerage service. Not sure what the fees are (if any), but this does not appear to be a plain-jane self-managed IRA.

 
The way I read that, either option 1 or 2 require using Amerivest. 


With your interpretation:
open and fund a new
TD Ameritrade retirement account using the Amerivest service OR
retirement account using the Amerivest service

What is the difference between "retirement account" and "TD Ameritrade retirement account"? Awkward wording at by TDA at best but I doubt Amerivest is a requirement.

c2013 said:   
jigsaw1975 said:   is this after tax and can I withdraw anytime? Sorry a bit clueless about IRA
This is simply an incentive to "park" IRA assets with TD Ameritrade and, obviously, become their their customer. It has nothing per se to do with taxes, "before" or "after," or withdrawals. You don't want to be "clueless" regarding tax-deferred accounts. IRS regulations are strict, and, if you mishandle things, you could risk serious tax consequences.

  One things that is not clear is whether the bonus amount counts as a IRA "contribution" or is it simply "earning/interest". Would be best if it is treated as earning so that contribution can be maximized. Something to watch out for when the bonus posts so that you don't end up over-contributing.

fwuser12 said:   
c2013 said:   
jigsaw1975 said:   is this after tax and can I withdraw anytime? Sorry a bit clueless about IRA
This is simply an incentive to "park" IRA assets with TD Ameritrade and, obviously, become their their customer. It has nothing per se to do with taxes, "before" or "after," or withdrawals. You don't want to be "clueless" regarding tax-deferred accounts. IRS regulations are strict, and, if you mishandle things, you could risk serious tax consequences.

  One things that is not clear is whether the bonus amount counts as a IRA "contribution" or is it simply "earning/interest". Would be best if it is treated as earning so that contribution can be maximized. Something to watch out for when the bonus posts so that you don't end up over-contributing.

  this has been discussed before. bonuses in IRA accounts will be posted as "credit" or something similar (would be non-contributory).

skd2009 said:   Sharebuilder/CapitalOne has also promotion (for new and existing customer):

Assets must be valued at $10,000 to be eligible for a $100 bonus; $25,000 for a $200 bonus; $50,000 for a $300 bonus; or $125,000 for a $600 bonus. Enter promo code FUTURE1 for new accounts, or FUTURE600 for existing accounts, by 12/31/2014. Corresponding transfer must be completed to the same account within 90 days after the code is entered.

http://content.sharebuilder.com/mgdcon/jump/assetgathering/2014/...

  one thing about ShareBuilder. they don't accept individual bonds as assets.

I couldn't find in their T&C the minimum number of months the transferred assets must remain in the account so that not to lose the bonus. Any ideas?

BrunoB said:   I couldn't find in their T&C the minimum number of months the transferred assets must remain in the account so that not to lose the bonus. Any ideas?
  I read it as 12 months. From the fine print:
Account must remain open with minimum funding required for participating in the offer for 12 months, or TD Ameritrade may charge the account for the cost of the cash awarded to the account.

fwuser12 said:   
BrunoB said:   I couldn't find in their T&C the minimum number of months the transferred assets must remain in the account so that not to lose the bonus. Any ideas?
  I read it as 12 months. From the fine print:
Account must remain open with minimum funding required for participating in the offer for 12 months, or TD Ameritrade may charge the account for the cost of the cash awarded to the account.

  Thanks, looks like transferring cash no matter in what amount would be a losing proposition.

For comparison, Merrill Edge has only 90 days of hold time.

Only two months of free stock trades, used to be three months. This really isn't a better offer if you have under $500K.


One year hold time, pass.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014