• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
dcwilbur said:   
glxpass said:   
rufflesinc said:   Not a stupid question since you can contribute to 2013 IRA until April 15 2014.
  AFAIK, you can't open an IRA at the beginning of 2014, conteibute to it before Aoril 15, and then deduct those contributions for tax year 2013.  That's where your analogy fails.  The marriage took place in 2014, just as the hypothetical creation of the IRA did.

Actually, you can.

IRS Publication 590  

That is my point. In this day and age, an FWFer is more likely to have contributed to an IRA before getting married, and thus encounter this exception. Thus it's not unreasonable ask this question.

heyeaglefn said:   
rufflesinc said:   
jaytrader said:   
rufflesinc said:   
mpattdu said:   
rufflesinc said:   
jaytrader said:   
rufflesinc said:   I wonder how many of you gave me red have ever contributed between Jan and Apr for previous year's IRA ...
  Man, you're usually more astute than this...

How does contributing to an IRA before 4/15 have anything to do with tax filing status as of 12/31? You could argue that because you can reconcile your FSA until 4/1 or 4/15 or whatever it is, you can get married after the 31st and still file married filing jointly.

PS: Yes, I have contributed to my IRAs after calendar year-end for the previous tax year. And I gave you red.

If it was not policy, wouldn't it be perfectly reasonable for the govt not to allow IRA contributions after the tax year 12/31?  But for some reason, the gov't decided you could have until April.

It's not like you can count the IRA contribution for both years, though. If the OP wanted to file as married for 2013 but then not for 2014, then I could see your line of thinking.

Except you can contribute twice during Jan-Apr

For different tax years, though.

Well yes, so OP asked if being married Jan-Apr would count towards two tax years .....

Sounds like this is your real FW account and Sintax is your ghost account.

ffs ....

jagec said:   
whatsthisbutton4 said:     you can get married twice too
  I'm trying to find the "married filing triply" box on my 1040, but I can't.  Do I just check Married Filing Jointly, but claim 3 Exemptions?

So confused..

Triply marriages are illegal in the US. Marry one and keep the other as a dependent.

rufflesinc said:   
jaytrader said:   
rufflesinc said:   I wonder how many of you gave me red have ever contributed between Jan and Apr for previous year's IRA ...
  Man, you're usually more astute than this...

How does contributing to an IRA before 4/15 have anything to do with tax filing status as of 12/31? You could argue that because you can reconcile your FSA until 4/1 or 4/15 or whatever it is, you can get married after the 31st and still file married filing jointly.

PS: Yes, I have contributed to my IRAs after calendar year-end for the previous tax year. And I gave you red.

If it was not policy, wouldn't it be perfectly reasonable for the govt not to allow IRA contributions after the tax year 12/31?  But for some reason, the gov't decided you could have until April.

The amount you're allowed to contribute may be limited based on your modified AGI, a number you won't know precisely prior to the completion of the calendar year.

What about buying a home in 2014 and deducting the mortgage interest for 2013?  Same as IRA, right?  Right??

qcumber98 said:   What about buying a home in 2014 and deducting the mortgage interest for 2013?  Same as IRA, right?  Right??
Yes

I had a similar question. I had a child in 2013, can I file an amendment for my 1990-2012 taxes to claim a tax credit for the child?

Edit: No one else claimed them as a dependent those years, if it matters.

vipercon said:   I had a similar question. I had a child in 2013, can I file an amendment for my 1990-2012 taxes to claim a tax credit for the child?

The IRA rule is only for the previous tax year, not the 20 years before.

b534202 said:   
Sintax said:   We got married in 2014.  Are there any issues if we filed jointly?

No issues, if you got married in Japan on 1/1/2014 and fly and land back in Hawaii on 12/31/13.

Definitely trying this for 2015!!!

Sintax said:   We got married in 2014.  Are there any issues if we filed jointly?
  In 2015, when you file your 2014 taxes, it should be fine, unless you get a divorce before the year is through then, it gets more complicated (though it may be wise....)

You MAY be able to claim her as a dependent for 2013 though..... is that what you meant?

vipercon said:   I had a similar question. I had a child in 2013, can I file an amendment for my 1990-2012 taxes to claim a tax credit for the child?

I believe you can only amend three years back, fill out a 1040x & report back to the forum!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014