• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
If you still have your free Travelzoo shares from 15 years ago, look for a check in the mail.  Travelzoo Inc. executed a 1-for-25 reverse stock split last fall, so anyone with less than 25 shares is getting a check.  Unfortunately, I slept on the chance to sell my shares back in 2004 when it was selling for around 90 bucks a share, but I did get a check in the mail for about $250 over the weekend.  Shares are being redeemed at $21.25 per share.

Travelzoo also included a discount code with the check, redeemable for 10% off any Travelzoo local deal or getaway booked on their website.  Don't throw away the little card that comes with your check!

See related thread from 2004 here.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I am pretty sure I had signed up for 15 years ago. I didn't do anything since then. I have moved once since then and I c... (more)

nanga (Mar. 01, 2014 @ 8:55p) |

Although I received my check in January 2014, apparently the "sale" occurred in 2013. I just received a 1099 [amended] ... (more)

zgenerale (Mar. 09, 2014 @ 9:00p) |

how did you know if you have shares? did they mail it to you or just send you a 1099?

RagingBull (Mar. 12, 2014 @ 5:16a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Even though I was following it in 2004, I too missed the sell opportunity @$90. Oh, well.

Sold mine last year, along with my sole other equity, just to make financial life easier.

Any idea if we still own them if we haven't done anything with them since 2004? I have the share numbers somewhere, and I inquired how I could update my contact information from a previous move - since I did not have access to the email I initially used. But I never ended up sending them the required documents. I might have to dig deeper.

Nomoboro said:   Any idea if we still own them if we haven't done anything with them since 2004? I have the share numbers somewhere, and I inquired how I could update my contact information from a previous move - since I did not have access to the email I initially used. But I never ended up sending them the required documents. I might have to dig deeper.
Try here - there are a few items in the FAQ's relating to the original promotional shares:

Travelzoo Investor Relations 

If you think you may have shares, definitely check your state;s unclaimed proprty web site!

I just was checking and it appears Travelzoo submitted my shares to the state as unclaimed, even though I have lived in the same place for 20 years!

Just got a check in the mail for the 6 shares for grandma who is long deceased. No SSN was provided so they withheld tax, but are they going to send some 1099 form to my address next year, even if I don't cash the check? Don't want trouble with the IRS over this. Any advice would be appreciated...

I tried to claim mine a few years back. Even though I had all the personal info they were unable to process the request without the actual share numbers....so much for that.

pakle said:   Just got a check in the mail for the 6 shares for grandma who is long deceased. No SSN was provided so they withheld tax, but are they going to send some 1099 form to my address next year, even if I don't cash the check? Don't want trouble with the IRS over this. Any advice would be appreciated...
Unless you still have an estate account open, I wouldn't attempt to cash a check made payable to a deceased person.  I would either write "unknown addressee" on the envelope and drop it back in the mailbox or just tuck it away in a file somewhere indefinitely.

Travelzoo was trying to get rid of all that Fatwallet types that have had stock for years. They clammed having lots of small share holders was hurting the companies bottom line. Which is just a load of BS

Sold mine in 2005 for $50 per share. Tried to claim my shares when it hit 90, but it was a hurdle. They only issued paper certificates and required a Medallion Signature Guarantee to be validated by my credit union. Between all the paperwork, mailing, transaction fees and legwork, you aren't losing out much by waiting for them to mail you a check today.

dcwilbur said:   
Nomoboro said:   Any idea if we still own them if we haven't done anything with them since 2004? I have the share numbers somewhere, and I inquired how I could update my contact information from a previous move - since I did not have access to the email I initially used. But I never ended up sending them the required documents. I might have to dig deeper.
Try here - there are a few items in the FAQ's relating to the original promotional shares:

Travelzoo Investor Relations

I know I had signed up with them back in the day, but  Not sure if I cashed back in 2005, any harm in turning this in? :

http://corporate.travelzoo.com/2002/Election_to_Participate.pdf

guess i'm too young to know about this free shares stuff. read up on it, funny, awesome.. checked out their website. oh my god. terrible

was that form back in 2002? This form is over 10 years old?

I, too, received a check for $170 today with a note that they have reduced the original amount (did not indicate what amount it was) by 28% for withholding tax because "I didn't have my TIN on file". The notice further states that they sent the withholding tax contribution to IRS, but I have not received any copy of it. I researched the impact of cashing the check and it appears that once you cash it, you have relinquished ownership of any stock in Travelzoo, which means you no longer own any stock in the company. I never knew the stock went as high as $400? in past years. I was too busy working and supporting my only child that I must have ignored these notices. Well, so much for that lost advantage. So, it looks like you either have to cash it or lose it to the State. I plan to cash it since it would make no sense to hold on to it and play the stock market, incur commission expenses, etc. etc. I owned 8 shares as of this writing and the price rate per share is $21.25, yielding a gross amount of $170. If that's the gross amount I received and they claim they have sent the 28% to IRS as withholding tax, that means the total worth of the 8 shares before deducting the withholding was approximately $237 or $29.63 stock price per share. I'm gonna cash it and be done with it, not knowing whether in fact they have sent the withholding tax deduction to the IRS. How are you handling it?

Kuchana said:   Travelzoo was trying to get rid of all that Fatwallet types that have had stock for years. They clammed having lots of small share holders was hurting the companies bottom line. Which is just a load of BS

They're now using Shareholder.com to administer shareholder services.     I'm sure they're beeing charged something for all those small shareholders.   And they gave away a lot of stock in their free promotion deal so they could have 100k people out there owning ~8 shares.    I doubt the cost is that much but its an unnecessary expense for them.  

hazfora said:   I, too, received a check for $170 today with a note that they have reduced the original amount (did not indicate what amount it was) by 28% for withholding tax because "I didn't have my TIN on file". The notice further states that they sent the withholding tax contribution to IRS, but I have not received any copy of it. I researched the impact of cashing the check and it appears that once you cash it, you have relinquished ownership of any stock in Travelzoo, which means you no longer own any stock in the company. I never knew the stock went as high as $400? in past years. I was too busy working and supporting my only child that I must have ignored these notices. Well, so much for that lost advantage. So, it looks like you either have to cash it or lose it to the State. I plan to cash it since it would make no sense to hold on to it and play the stock market, incur commission expenses, etc. etc. I owned 8 shares as of this writing and the price rate per share is $21.25, yielding a gross amount of $170. If that's the gross amount I received and they claim they have sent the 28% to IRS as withholding tax, that means the total worth of the 8 shares before deducting the withholding was approximately $237 or $29.63 stock price per share. I'm gonna cash it and be done with it, not knowing whether in fact they have sent the withholding tax deduction to the IRS. How are you handling it?
You are reading the letter incorrectly. If you got the $21.25 per share, then nothing was withheld. Cash your check.

BTW - you can cash the check or not, but you had no option to retain your shares if you owned less than 25 shares. That was the whole point.

I KNOW I signed up back when I was about 14, but I tried contacting travelzoo recently and they have no record.

Made me look. Sold my 6 shares for $343.54 (net) on 9/29/04

klewlessnoob said:   I tried to claim mine a few years back. Even though I had all the personal info they were unable to process the request without the actual share numbers....so much for that.

What reason did they give? 
I know I signed up way back when, but I've moved twice since then & I'm sure I used one of the disposable email addresses out of hundreds I had at the time so there's no way I'm getting anything without some legwork on my part I'm sure.

just received my check.  I thought I would hold on to these shares for ever.  I got 21.25 per shar for 6.9 share totaling 127.50 and afte taxes got a check for $91.80.  whooppp!

I wonder if there shares will ever go back up?

just received my check.  I thought I would hold on to these shares for ever.  I got 21.25 per shar for 6.9 share totaling 127.50 and afte taxes got a check for $91.80.  whooppp!

I wonder if there shares will ever go back up?

WOW!  I should have sold mine back in 2004.  wish I knew.  Just never paid attention to any of the mail I received from Travelzoo.

I am pretty sure I had signed up for 15 years ago. I didn't do anything since then. I have moved once since then and I couldn't find anything on my email though I remember seeing that email few years ago. Any idea how can I check if I still owe their stock?

Although I received my check in January 2014, apparently the "sale" occurred in 2013. I just received a 1099 [amended] on the sale as a 2013 transaction and now have to file an amended tax return.

Be on the lookout for a 1099.

how did you know if you have shares? did they mail it to you or just send you a 1099?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014