• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://dramclaims.com/

You qualify for money if you bought DRAM or products containing DRAM (computers, printers, video game consoles or other electronic devices) between 1998 and 2002. No documentation is required to file a claim. 

Not sure if this should have gone here or in HD. Mods feel free to move.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This is back when I bought DRAM to upgrade to 256 MB

Raptor said:   This is back when I bought DRAM to upgrade to 256 MB
  And back when DRAM was fairly expensive.

Selections from their FAQ, bolding added, [italic] remarks mine:

---

The lawsuits claim that Defendants fixed the prices of DRAM from January 1, 1998 through December 31, 2002, which resulted in overcharges to people and businesses that bought DRAM or devices containing DRAM.  The Defendants deny these claims.  The Court has not decided who is right.
[so you may get nothing but they will get a marvelous new mailing list...]

The Settlement Funds total approximately $310 million.
[or zero if they loose, eh]

Approximately 89% (or 8/9ths) is for the benefit of businesses and individuals.  The other 11% (or 1/9th) of the Settlement Funds are for the benefit of state and local government entities.  The Attorneys General and Class Counsel have requested attorneys’ fees, subject to court approval, in the amount of 25% of total Settlement Funds.  After deduction of the government entity portion of the Settlements, attorneys’ fees, notice and claims administration costs, and litigation expenses, approximately $200 million is expected to be available for distribution to businesses and individuals.
[my math says more like $207M, but hey, good administrators are hard to find]

Payments will be determined on a pro rata basis. This means it will be based on the number of valid claims filed as well as on the number/type of DRAM modules or electronic devices containing DRAM that you purchased (only the DRAM portion of the value of devices containing DRAM will be considered for claims purposes).  At this time, it is unknown how much money each Class Member will recover.  The distribution plan provides for an anticipated minimum payment of $10 for each individual or business that makes a claim.

It is possible that money will be distributed to public or non-profit organizations in addition to or instead of Class Members who file small claims:
[isn't that something you might like to have listed on the home page???]

If there are fewer than 2.5 million individuals and businesses with small claims (“small claimants”), their claims will be treated as follows:
        The small claimants’ checks will be increased pro rata above $10, up to a maximum of the estimated actual single damages from the alleged overcharge for each claimant, until the available funds up to $25 million are exhausted;
[wonder how they figure that one out....anyway, their home page is suggestive of $1000 being near that maximum]
        and If the $25 million is not exhausted, any money remaining will be distributed to non-profit organizations approved by the Court to support public or not-for-profit activities on a geographically diverse basis to address the injury alleged in the lawsuits.
    If there are more than five million small claimants, no cash distribution will be made to them.  Instead, $40 million will be distributed to non-profit organizations approved by the Court, as described above.
[so let's just keep this on the down low; nice, a $15M bonus to others if consumers loose out entirely!  woot!?]

Benefits will be distributed to Class Members, including consumers represented by their state Attorneys General after the Court grants final approval to the Settlements and any appeals are resolved.  We don’t know how much time it could take to resolve any appeals that may be filed.  Appeals may take a few years to resolve.
[they won!, nope, years later, an appeal may mean they still lost, besides, you'll forget this claim was ever made anyway]

----

I'm unclear where the lion's share of that $200M estimated for distribution is going (at most, $50M would be earmarked for the $10 minimum outlay to a maximum 5M small claimants)...anyone know?  Maybe 'large claimants', and who would that be?  Don't tell me; attorney family and friends.

Wow, really mikejensen? Red? lol

I await my 9 cent gift card with anticipation

stiltner said:   I await my 9 cent gift card with anticipation

9 cents in 1998 is worth at least 25 cents now, that's a free gumball (tax-free).

this is going to be a big one...I saw ads on tv for people to file a claim

Although I am not crazy about these lawsuits, they do pay off in small ways. I got about $75 from the air freight collusion class action and $200 from Experian.

Our family's first "real" computer purchase was bought back in 1999 and it was a Micron Millennia, and I'm pretty sure it was insanely expensive.  128mb of system ram and 8mb of vram...I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than just DRAM price fixing.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014