• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Scary rumors coming from dansdeals: Amex reps are saying that consumer cards as of May 1 will no longer be churnable, and will only award a bonus once, ever.
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/41831

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I would be happy to, but it was a personalized offer sent to me via e-mail. So they need to invite you to get this parti... (more)

MrVietnam (Mar. 18, 2014 @ 8:41a) |

Well I guess that explains why I couldn't find it.

Thanks anyway.

iLoveTahoe (Mar. 18, 2014 @ 9:26a) |

If they directly solicited *YOU* for the offer, IMO you stand a more than reasonable chance of getting the bonus applied... (more)

TheDiggler (Mar. 18, 2014 @ 12:57p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Good to know, but I can't really blame Amex for making the change.

It was always too good to last anyway.

We'll see how Amex implements the change. Chase sign-up bonuses are also officially supposed to be not churnable according to their stated policies. But in practice many folks have reported having luck churning their bonuses after waiting a couple of years or so.

LiquidSilver said:   Good to know, but I can't really blame Amex for making the change.
  Agreed. (coming from someone who loves me some bonuses)

I feel like there is a great lesson here. Just because a big FI allows things to continue even after shenanigans are thrown in their face (i.e., spoonfeeding posts, blogs, circles, arrows, etc., etc.), it doesn't mean they are happy with the activity. And in fact they might be actively working on solutions to close the loopholes.

My takeaway is to not get stupid greedy with the churnable bonuses (100k AA thread, I'm looking at you...)

"churn for the worse" I see what you did there.

wow, when I clicked on the SPG card bonus, this is the message I got on top of the page, in RED
"You have been identified as a current American Express Card Member. The welcome offer below may not be the same as the offer you saw advertised previously because the other offer you saw is not available to current American Express Card Members. You will not be eligible for the below offer if you have had this product within the last 12 months."

I am guessing this doesn't affect business cards? Maybe time to use my other business tax IDs for new business CCs.

dpid said:   wow, when I clicked on the SPG card bonus, this is the message I got on top of the page, in RED
"You have been identified as a current American Express Card Member. The welcome offer below may not be the same as the offer you saw advertised previously because the other offer you saw is not available to current American Express Card Members. You will not be eligible for the below offer if you have had this product within the last 12 months."

That's standard.  The change the OP is referring to hasn't happened yet.  The new message will essentially eliminate everything after the words  "for the below offer".

I think the change is proposed as changing "if you have had this product within the last 12 months" to "if you have ever had this product."

How will I go on vacation?! This is the most rewarding hobby I have!! What will I do!! I think it was my Hilton or Marriott card that was the first to tell me I couldn't get a reward because I had it within 12 months, and that was a year ago (after getting 100K in reward points). Credit card companies will have to offer some sort of incentive. There will always be some companies "making an offer we can't refuse."

brawa said:   I think the change is proposed as changing "if you have had this product within the last 12 months" to "if you have ever had this product."
  I already saw this kind of wording on Amex gold rewards card application.

Assuming they go through with it, for me losing the easy SPG points is going to be especially painful.
What isn't clear is this "bonus will be declined if the Card Member: Has the same Card or cancelled the same Card" language. Does this mean someone who cancelled a card in 2012 could get an identical bonus now but not after May 1?

If that's the case, then anybody who's out of their 12 month window better apply for PRG, Starwood, Delta, etc before May.

I guess I'm missing the issue here. I love AMEX and the benefits of my SPG AMEX negate any churn mess. AMEX has always had my back - during multiple identity thefts (true and attempts). For those churning for points, you've totally missed the best part of having an AMEX. Period.

carbo1turbo said:   I guess I'm missing the issue here. I love AMEX and the benefits of my SPG AMEX negate any churn mess. AMEX has always had my back - during multiple identity thefts (true and attempts). For those churning for points, you've totally missed the best part of having an AMEX. Period.

Wouldn't that depend on the amount that we've churned? If you've saved 10k in fraudulent charges but I've made over 20k in churn profit, who's the real winner?

Honestly, I can't believe that they've continued as long as they have. Plenty of people out there make at least a second income from crap like this. From AMEX perspective, why would they continue? The type of member that would be primarily attracted by a large signup bonus is not typically going to hang around. Sign up bonuses were always for the weak cards that couldn't attract customers based on their membership packages anyway. I remember when the stock market took a header somebody said that when the tide goes out you can tell who's wearing swimming trunks and who's not. If AMEX follow through, I expect to see several cards go down within the year.
That said, it's inconvenient timing for me, since I still have a few months left before I can sign back up for another fat Premier Gold bonus package.

Language from Hilton Surpass application page (i.e. theoretically they already disallow churn on this card).

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.

Hi, can you explain churning?

Google it up.

ymprncess said:   Hi, can you explain churning?
  Why are you even in this thread if you don't know?

Good golly I've made so much money churning AMEX cards over the years... sorry to see this go.

Its where you make butter out of milk

And Amex is butchering the cow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churning_%28butter%29 

edit: should have read to the bottom, Blue Sea Lake beat me to it...

carbo1turbo said:   AMEX has always had my back - during multiple identity thefts (true and attempts). For those churning for points, you've totally missed the best part of having an AMEX. Period.
It's not an either/or situation.

You can still enjoy the benefits of AMEX card membership while churning different AMEX offerings.

If you've collected a bonus for an AMEX Gold but later try to pick one up for a PLATINUM card, will it be denied? It would appear that the penalty bonus only applies for applications for an identical AMEX card rather than one from another in the family. 

Thanks, 

I have a question. In the OP it says you can't churn anymore starting May 1, 2014, but I just signed up for an American Express Delta credit card that offered me $50 after my first purchase, 50,000 miles after $1,000 of charging in the first 3 months, and the first year annual fee free. However, when I look at the fine print of this offer the anti-churning language is already in the terms and conditions. it says "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product." Have they stopped churning already (it's only Match 18th) or as I long as I meet the requirements for the welcome offer before May 1 will I still get the bonus miles? I should have looked at the terms and conditions more carefully before I signed up.

Is the important date the sign-up date? For example, I opened a new Am Ex card today and I have 3 months to charge $1,000 but that won't be until mid-June when I have to have the $1,000 charged, which is after the May 1 date. Will they look at the date after I completed the terms of their offer or will they look at the sign-up date when determining to give me the bonus miles or not? Like I said before even though they said May 1 was the stop date for churning the language to deny is already in their terms and conditions for their offers: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product." Go figure.

I had a Delta American Express card about 6-7 years ago and got some sort of a bonus back then, but not this same offer. I am sure I did not get this many miles way back then. I don't want to charge $1,000 miles on this card if I will not be getting the bonus miles. I guess I can see if I will be getting the welcome bonus by making a first charge and seeing if I get the promised $50 statement credit or not.

MrVietnam said:   I just signed up for an American Express Delta credit card that offered me $50 after my first purchase, 50,000 miles after $1,000 of charging in the first 3 months, and the first year annual fee free.

Would you mind posting a link to that offer please?

iLoveTahoe said:   
MrVietnam said:   I just signed up for an American Express Delta credit card that offered me $50 after my first purchase, 50,000 miles after $1,000 of charging in the first 3 months, and the first year annual fee free.

I would be happy to, but it was a personalized offer sent to me via e-mail. So they need to invite you to get this particular offer.

MrVietnam said:   
iLoveTahoe said:   

I would be happy to, but it was a personalized offer sent to me via e-mail. So they need to invite you to get this particular offer.

Well I guess that explains why I couldn't find it.

Thanks anyway.

MrVietnam said:   I would be happy to, but it was a personalized offer sent to me via e-mail. So they need to invite you to get this particular offer.If they directly solicited *YOU* for the offer, IMO you stand a more than reasonable chance of getting the bonus applied, even if you have fight for it after the fact by getting the points manually applied as a "courtesy credit." That said, YMMV.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014