• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I efiled my returns last night.† Feds accepted it almost immediately, but CA rejected it.† The only message they gave was "Problem: We are unable to process your state return electronically."† No other details given- they just say I need to mail in a paper return.

Trying to avoid this.† I've efiled for so many years I forgot how much of a pain it is to get all of the papers together to mail.†

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I was not even able to try to efile in VA, NC rejected mine, GA & the Feds accepted it. My rejection wasn't especially informative either. Oddly, even after the NC rejection, the software said it was printing out a 'computer format' which was just a ton of numbers, not a form people could read easily, so I fail to see how that gives them any additional information at all.

I did have one thought- I wonder if it is because I have 5 items in box 12 of my W2. The Feds used to have a problem with that.

Seriously? 4k senior member and this is your post? Call the CA Franchise Tax Board instead of some dumb ass random post on here with no information that could possibly help solve it.

CptSavAHo said:   Seriously? 4k senior member and this is your post? Call the CA Franchise Tax Board instead of some dumb ass random post on here with no information that could possibly help solve it.
††
Honestly, I'd be shocked if they could manage to get anyone on the phone who actually had the access to tell them why the computer rejected the form.

ErinFudge said:   
CptSavAHo said:   Seriously? 4k senior member and this is your post? Call the CA Franchise Tax Board instead of some dumb ass random post on here with no information that could possibly help solve it.
††
Honestly, I'd be shocked if they could manage to get anyone on the phone who actually had the access to tell them why the computer rejected the form.

† Yeah, waited on hold for a while this morning.†

I know its a shot in the dark.† And I know how well shots in the dark are treated here.† I have my big boy pants on and can take the heat.†

cheezedawg said:   
ErinFudge said:   
††

† Yeah, waited on hold for a while this morning.†

I know its a shot in the dark.† And I know how well shots in the dark are treated here.† I have my big boy pants on and can take the heat.†

† How about putting om the smart boy pants and posting information about your tax return that could possibly help someone to help you?

Deep, cleansing breaths, CptSavAHo.

What I am looking for is if anybody knows of things that would make a return ineligible for efile in CA so I can check if that applies to me. My one guess was box 12 of the W2 as I mentioned above, but it seems that when that is the case they give you a more descriptive error message. The only other things that were really different from previous years when I successfully efiled (aside from the specific numbers) were that I had some wash sales for the first time this year and my federal form 8949 was a lot longer with options trades.

Is it possible your e-File transmitter or software provider are passing along a dumbed down version of the reject description?
Did they give the actual reject code so you can look it up?

Did you use Calfile?

taxmantoo said:   Is it possible your e-File transmitter or software provider are passing along a dumbed down version of the reject description?

† Possibly- there was a code, but I played around with it on google and at the CA franchise tax board search and didn't come up with any results.† I can post it here when I get home from work tonight.

I used H&R Block SW, btw.†

cheezedawg said:   
taxmantoo said:   Is it possible your e-File transmitter or software provider are passing along a dumbed down version of the reject description?

† Possibly- there was a code, but I played around with it on google and at the CA franchise tax board search and didn't come up with any results.† I can post it here when I get home from work tonight.

I used H&R Block SW, btw.†

† Can't you just print out the relevant filled-in forms from HR Block software and just mail them in? †I print out the Fed forms every year (in a no income tax state).

††
Yep, call/email HR Block and see if they can tell you what the code represents. †Then try to fix that issue. †And if not, unfortunately you'll have to efile.

(there's so many permutations why a return could be electronically rejected, its hard to give blanket answers except for the above).

HR Block support tried submitting and they got this error message, but unfortunately weren't able to narrow it down anymore beyond that for what form or schedule it didnt like:

"L4 DOES NOT = TOTAL OF L3 COLUMN F ENTRIES"

I'm looking through the return to find things that have a column F

*edit* I'm pretty sure this is referring to CA Form 3885A, but I don't know why its flagging it.† I didnt enter any new items in to be depreciated this year, so L3 column F is blank and L4 is zero across all my 3885A copies.

Why not call the state of ca taxpayer advocate and see what they suggest?
https://www.ftb.ca.gov/aboutftb/taxpayer_advocate/index.shtml?WT...

They will suggest you file by mail. Seriously, how hard is that? It saves you money too.

cheezedawg said:   HR Block support tried submitting and they got this error message, but unfortunately weren't able to narrow it down anymore beyond that for what form or schedule it didnt like:

*edit* I'm pretty sure this is referring to CA Form 3885A, but I don't know why its flagging it.† I didnt enter any new items in to be depreciated this year, so L3 column F is blank and L4 is zero across all my 3885A copies.

††
I bet if you removed the zeros, it would work.

ntr91 said:   
cheezedawg said:   HR Block support tried submitting and they got this error message, but unfortunately weren't able to narrow it down anymore beyond that for what form or schedule it didnt like:

††

I tried a bunch of different combinations last night.† Finally gave up and printed off the ~40 pages to mail in.† Now I just need to buy an envelope big enough to fit them all and take some time to go to a post office to mail it certified mail. †† Oh woe is me!

cheezedawg said:   
ntr91 said:   

††

I tried a bunch of different combinations last night.† Finally gave up and printed off the ~40 pages to mail in.† Now I just need to buy an envelope big enough to fit them all and take some time to go to a post office to mail it certified mail. †† Oh woe is me!

††unless you have several pieces of property, several k-1's, or several schedual c business, it should not be 40 pages.†
† your tax software should have two type of printouts, once for filing purposes (that you mail in),, and that other with those same pages plus the supporting pages that detail how the numbers were calculated.† I suspect your 40 pages includes the later.

fatgempler said:   
cheezedawg said:   
ntr91 said:   

††

††unless you have several pieces of property, several k-1's, or several schedual c business, it should not be 40 pages.†
† your tax software should have two type of printouts, once for filing purposes (that you mail in),, and that other with those same pages plus the supporting pages that detail how the numbers were calculated.† I suspect your 40 pages includes the later.

††One of my paper state versions is short...† the other (VA) specifically requires many of the supporting documents.† I don't think mine hit 40 pages - probably ~30, but other than splitting across 3 states, mine was relatively simple.† NC, on the other hand, almost fit on one page in the filing for print format.† Those were both spit out of the same software, and then the VA version had items added to the mailing checklist requiring other items be added in.

fatgempler said:   
cheezedawg said:   
ntr91 said:   

††

No, my federal return is 29 pages and my state return is 19 pages.† If I printed all of the supporting documents for my federal return, it would be 202 pages and state would be 21 pages.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014