Help getting my Money Pak money back

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I bought a Money Pak Reload card for $500 a couple of days ago.  Somewhere between the store and my car (2000 feet), the card was either lost/stolen.  I called Green Dot on the day I discovered it was missing, and of course, they were closed.  I called the next morning and was able to get a case started. Since it was a weekend day, the corporate office was closed and they couldn't start an investigation until Monday.  Well, I talked to GD corp office today and it doesn't look good. The guy told me that the Money Pak was loaded onto an account  (he wouldn't tell me if it was Paypal or another reload card) within 30 minutes of purchase and is now essentially depleted of funds.  He gave me the usual crap that he couldn't release a name due to federal privacy laws but a police subpoena would be able to get the name.  I filed a police report but the detective told me they don't pursue a case unless it has a value of at least $1000.  Okay, so I know that now I am pretty much out $504.95.  I know this is a longshot but does anyone have any ideas to get my money back?

Here is some info for people who find themselves in a similar situation  because it is really difficult to find information.  Call the Green Corporate office 1-866-652-4611 and ask to talk to a senior supervisor. M-F 9am EST - 9pm EST.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Can't you use the police report to subpoena the surveillance footage from the Drugstore cameras yourself?

Al3xK (Apr. 11, 2014 @ 12:11p) |

That still wouldn't get him the name and address of the person who cashed his MoneyPak

nasheedb (Apr. 11, 2014 @ 12:31p) |

Besides, is there any legal obligation for the person who cashed it to give it back? As many have said, it is the same a... (more)

alienjedi (Apr. 11, 2014 @ 2:43p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Right on their home page at moneypak.com:

"If you give your MoneyPak number or information about the purchase transaction to a criminal, Green Dot is not responsible for paying you back. Your MoneyPak is not a bank account. The funds are not insured against loss."

If you paid for the card via credit card, your credit card company might be able to help you out. Outside of that, there's not much you can do.

jojojones said:   I filed a police report but the detective told me they don't pursue a case unless it has a value of at least $1000.  
  So did you ask him to make a phone call anyways, so that they can shut down the card the pack was loaded to and you can get some more info about where it went?

If you dont care, you can also contact the police captain and ask him to make the detective do his job.

I am curious why you think it was lost/stolen, as opposed to just lost. Were you mugged on the way to your car? If not, how do you think it could have been stolen?

Treat like Cash.

check flyertalk- there was a post in the manufacture spend forum where someone had a whole bunch of cards stolen out of his car.

Good luck

Why would losing a reload card be any different than losing a money order, cash, prepaid debit, or gift card?

If stolen, file a police report and claim with insurance?

Glitch99 said:   
jojojones said:   I filed a police report but the detective told me they don't pursue a case unless it has a value of at least $1000.  
  So did you ask him to make a phone call anyways, so that they can shut down the card the pack was loaded to and you can get some more info about where it went?

If you dont care, you can also contact the police captain and ask him to make the detective do his job.

Is it really in a detective's job description to find the $500 in cash-equivalent lost by the poster?

I'm surprised Money Pak gave out as much info as they did.

Why not just take money pak to small claims? How do you know it was cashed? Because some rep said it was? They can provide evidence to the judge or they can pay the judgement when they do not show up.

Question: How were you able to identify the card number to GD? If it was stolen, you wouldn't have had the whole number. AFAIK, the store receipts only show the last 4 digits.

kwest said:   Question: How were you able to identify the card number to GD? If it was stolen, you wouldn't have had the whole number. AFAIK, the store receipts only show the last 4 digits.
Green Dot asked for the store number, date, time of purchase, and the Transaction ID number of activation on the bottom of the receipt.  Also, I called the store manager and he was able to pull up the unique bar code on the back of the Money Pak with the receipt date, time, and register number. But Green Dot didn't need the bar code info for their investigation.

jojojones said:   Somewhere between the store and my car (2000 feet), the card was either lost/stolen
if one respects a MP like they would five $100 bills, it would be in your pocket already and not lost.  And unlikely to be stolen unless someone mugs you, which is another story

Your money is gone. This was a preventable loss caused by you and nobody else. The only question left is:

Are you going to quit MS with a $504.95 loss?

I'm so paranoid about these things that I load them in my car. I even toyed with the idea of loading in CVS.

jmw11 said:   Your money is gone. This was a preventable loss caused by you and nobody else. The only question left is:

Are you going to quit MS with a $504.95 loss?

Presumably he earned 5% rewards, so the loss is only $479.70. Whew!

Buy a doxie-go mobile scanner for all your MS needs.

speedbird71 said:   
Glitch99 said:   

Is it really in a detective's job description to find the $500 in cash-equivalent lost by the poster?

What isnt in his job description is blowing off reported crimes because they arent sexy enough...

At the cashier, all my cards go immediately into my front pocket. I immediately go to my car and drive away.

Belt pack. You look like a tourist or a nerd, but you won't lose anything.

Ecuadorgr said:   Belt pack. You look like a tourist or a nerd, but you won't lose anything.
  He will look like easy pickings for a mugging, loaded with MPs. 

Xnarg1 said:   I'm so paranoid about these things that I load them in my car. I even toyed with the idea of loading in CVS.

I'm the same way. If I drove, load in the car, otherwise load daily limit before leaving.

talonesi said:   
Ecuadorgr said:   Belt pack. You look like a tourist or a nerd, but you won't lose anything.
  He will look like easy pickings for a mugging, loaded with MPs. 

Tape a few rolls of quarters together and drop them in one of the pouches, it will look like you are strapped.  (I know a few guys with concealed carry licenses that use a cargo belt)

Can't you use the police report to subpoena the surveillance footage from the Drugstore cameras yourself?

Al3xK said:   Can't you use the police report to subpoena the surveillance footage from the Drugstore cameras yourself?

That still wouldn't get him the name and address of the person who cashed his MoneyPak

Besides, is there any legal obligation for the person who cashed it to give it back? As many have said, it is the same as cash. Do I have to give back a $20 bill if someone comes running up and says it is theirs?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014