• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
If you already knew this, please don't mind this post, but it wasn't obvious to me, and I'm hoping to help out somebody else by making them aware of this.

WalMart and Walgreen's (and maybe CVS and others, but I am only speculating and haven't confirmed) count as groceries for the Barclaycard Rewards card and therefore earn 2% Cash Back. This is surprising to me because AMEX, for example, does not count either as such.

If you shop at WalMart or Walgreen's regularly and don't already get 2% or better with some other card, then this might be worthwhile information to you.

Also, Virgin Mobile (and presumably other cell phone carriers) counts as a utility (also 2% Cash Back) on this card, if that wasn't evident.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I'm considering whether to apply for this card.  It sounds like cell phone bills would count as "utilities" to earn the ... (more)

Endeavorer (Jul. 27, 2014 @ 7:12p) |

You raise an important point, Chris, as related to the OP.  And you are exactly right.  Guessing WalMart MCCs (merchant ... (more)

shinobi1 (Jul. 27, 2014 @ 8:46p) |

I agree about making a test purchase to see the merchant category.  

I like to use my Citi credit cards for a test purcha... (more)

Endeavorer (Jul. 28, 2014 @ 1:32a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Compeek said:   If you already knew this, please don't mind this post, but it wasn't obvious to me, and I'm hoping to help out somebody else by making them aware of this.

WalMart and Walgreen's (and maybe CVS and others, but I am only speculating and haven't confirmed) count as groceries for the Barclaycard Rewards card and therefore earn 2% Cash Back. This is surprising to me because AMEX, for example, does not count either as such.

If you shop at WalMart or Walgreen's regularly and don't already get 2% or better with some other card, then this might be worthwhile information to you.

Also, Virgin Mobile (and presumably other cell phone carriers) counts as a utility (also 2% Cash Back) on this card, if that wasn't evident.

Good for you.  I already get 2% Cash Back from AMEX on everything.

What card?
I have 3 Barclays cards that offer rewards.
One of them has no cat bonus.
One of them gives 5% at WalMart, 1% at drugstores.
The other gives 2.2% on everything.

That being asked. Amex does not process WalMart as grocery, and it processes Walgreens as a Drugstore.
Visa/MC are different.

imbatman said:   What card?
The other gives 2.2% on everything.

That being asked. Amex does not process WalMart as grocery, and it processes Walgreens as a Drugstore.
Visa/MC are different.

If you're asking me what card, it's the Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard. It's 2% on gas, groceries, and utilities, and then 1% on everything else. I got it for the $100 sign up bonus recently, but I'll use it for a couple places where I get 2%.

I have the Capital One Quicksilver for 1.5% everywhere, so 2% is hardly much better, but it's still something. I'd get the Fidelity AMEX for 2% everywhere, but without a sign up bonus, it doesn't seem like enough of an improvement for a hard pull.

I have an AMEX Blue Cash Preferred, and yeah, WalMart doesn't count as groceries or department store.

Compeek said:   I'd get the Fidelity AMEX for 2% everywhere, but without a sign up bonus, it doesn't seem like enough of an improvement for a hard pull.

When was the last time you checked?  Check again.

You would benefit from this thread
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1117054/

qcumber98 said:   
Compeek said:   I'd get the Fidelity AMEX for 2% everywhere, but without a sign up bonus, it doesn't seem like enough of an improvement for a hard pull.

I either forgot or never came across it, but now I found a $75 bonus. Hmm. Well, thank you. I'll have to consider. I have a couple recent inquiries so I might hold off, but that's good to know now.

Will the Fidelity AMEX get backdated like a regular AMEX?

Compeek said:   
qcumber98 said:   

I either forgot or never came across it, but now I found a $75 bonus. Hmm. Well, thank you. I'll have to consider. I have a couple recent inquiries so I might hold off, but that's good to know now.

Will the Fidelity AMEX get backdated like a regular AMEX?

I don't think so.  Fidelity AMEX is issued by FIA, not AMEX.

Can you pls shed the light. Which card gives 5% at WalMart?

VicGr1 said:   

Sallie Mae for $250/month

imbatman said:   VicGr1 said:   

Which also gives 5% on gas for up to $250/month, right?

Compeek said:   
imbatman said:   
VicGr1 said:   

Which also gives 5% on gas for up to $250/month, right?

Groceries 5% on $250
Gas 5% on $250
Bookstores (e.g. Amazon) 5% on $750

Note that the SallieMae card does give 5% on WalMart, as long as that WalMart is coded as grocery.  I have one WalMart in my area that still codes as Discount Store (even though it carries a full line of groceries), and I've encountered others as I've traveled (in Hawaii, for example) which code as Discount Store.  Ones that code as Discount Store don't get you the 5%.  You can sometimes make an educated guess how it will code based on the size of the store, size of the grocery section, age of the store, etc.  The other nice thing about the SallieMae card (actually, Barclay cards in general) is you can make the charge, then check your account activity online when the charge hits in a day or so, and you can easily determine if that particular location counts as grocery, based on how many points that transaction earned (in other words, you don't have to wait for your statement to print).

Chris.

imbatman said:   
VicGr1 said:   

Is that $250 of spending, for total rewards of $12.50 ($250 x 5%)?  Or is it $250 of rewards (for spending of $250/5% = 5k)?

whodini said:   
imbatman said:   
VicGr1 said:   

Is that $250 of spending, for total rewards of $12.50 ($250 x 5%)?  Or is it $250 of rewards (for spending of $250/5% = 5k)?

The first one.

whodini said:   
imbatman said:   
VicGr1 said:   

spending. If you want to know more about the card I suggest you read/post in the thread dedicated to the card.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1129823/

FWIW, the Amex Blue Cash (not sure if it is still offered for new applicants) gives 5% on gas, groceries and drugstores. Have noticed that some WMs (particularly branded MarketPlace or some such and are not full blown stores) are coded as grocery as get 5% CB.

You may want to try cardpool.com. You can buy WalMart gift cards there for 3% off and Walgreens gift cards for about 9%.

So, we know the bonus % results at b&m Wal-Mart stores are mixed (though mostly positive); what about WalMart.com?  I'm thinking you'd get only 1% there.  Can anyone confirm/deny?

Chris.

cpaynter said:   So, we know the bonus % results at b&m Wal-Mart stores are mixed (though mostly positive); what about WalMart.com?  I'm thinking you'd get only 1% there.  Can anyone confirm/deny?

Chris.

Just spend $10 there, and report back

Compeek said:   Also, Virgin Mobile (and presumably other cell phone carriers) counts as a utility (also 2% Cash Back) on this card, if that wasn't evident.
  I'm considering whether to apply for this card.  It sounds like cell phone bills would count as "utilities" to earn the 2%.  Does anyone have experience to know whether "utilities" also includes land line phone bills or cable bills?  Thank you in advance for your help.

cpaynter said:   

Note that the SallieMae card does give 5% on WalMart, as long as that WalMart is coded as grocery.  I have one WalMart in my area that still codes as Discount Store (even though it carries a full line of groceries), and I've encountered others as I've traveled (in Hawaii, for example) which code as Discount Store.  Ones that code as Discount Store don't get you the 5%.  You can sometimes make an educated guess how it will code based on the size of the store, size of the grocery section, age of the store, etc.  The other nice thing about the SallieMae card (actually, Barclay cards in general) is you can make the charge, then check your account activity online when the charge hits in a day or so, and you can easily determine if that particular location counts as grocery, based on how many points that transaction earned (in other words, you don't have to wait for your statement to print).

Chris.

You raise an important point, Chris, as related to the OP.  And you are exactly right.  Guessing WalMart MCCs (merchant category codes) is a crap shoot.  Different WalMart stores code differently.

An approach that has worked for me in the past is to have a pre-checkout conversation with the store manager, or assistant manager, and simply ask how their checkout registers are coded.

A better method, IMO, the gold standard if you will, is to run a test prior to any significant, important, purchase.  With money on the line, you have to get the MCC right.  

shinobi1 said:   A better method, IMO, the gold standard if you will, is to run a test prior to any significant, important, purchase.  With money on the line, you have to get the MCC right.  
I agree about making a test purchase to see the merchant category.  

I like to use my Citi credit cards for a test purchase.  My Citi credit cards will immediately show online the authorization for the purchase, and if I click on the authorization, then the merchant category is shown.  So regardless of which credit card I plan to use for the actual purchase (might or might not be Citi), I will use a Citi card for the test purchase.  It is also nice that Citi has virtual account numbers, so my test purchase will be safe.  Thank you, Citi.

Here is my chart for the speed of results for test purchases:

1) Bank's web site shows the merchant category online as soon as the purchase is in the authorization stage:  Citi

2) Bank's web site shows partial merchant category online as soon as the purchase is in the authorization stage:  Capital One
(Capital One's authorization shows the broad category, such as Health Care.  Then later the posted purchase shows the detail category, such as Dentist.)     

3) Bank's web site shows the merchant category online for posted purchases, but not for purchases still in the authorization stage:  Bank of America, Barclay, Discover

4) Bank's web site seldom shows the merchant category:  Chase
(Chase might show online the category for 5% items.  Often they tell the merchant category in their automated phone messages that list recent transactions.)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014