• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I received this offer in the mail for M&T Bank (scanned and attached).

Known:

• Open a mychoice checking online at mtb.com/checking using promo code "QC"
  • $100 minimum direct deposit - restrictions say it cannot be a bank transfer or credit
  • Deposit credited within 90 days "to an account in good standing"
  • Need $500 minimum balance (or other qualifications like a certain size direct deposit or number of debit card transactions) to avoid monthly service fee
  • Reportable as 1099 income
  • Open to "new accounts opened between 7/11 and 8/15
  • User RyeWhiskey points out that this bonus, according to a CS rep, is available only where M&T has branches (MD, DC, NY).  I am in VA, so some parts of VA must also be eligible.

Not Known:

• If there is a hard pull
  • If there is a restriction on past M&T account holders
  • If open-able without the flier (I assume it works since there is a promo code and an option to complete the transaction online).

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
My app goes through fine online. After some days I get a letter saying "the account can not be serviced"

americano (Aug. 18, 2014 @ 3:00p) |

Bonus posted yesterday.

BonusMeister (Aug. 30, 2014 @ 7:08a) |

$100 DD from employer hit my account on 9/5.  $150 bonus posted on 9/5.  Easy peasy. 

NoMoneyInMyWallet (Sep. 06, 2014 @ 1:27p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

> $100 minimum direct deposit - restrictions say it cannot be a bank transfer or credit
do they check this manually?

- how about Bay Area CA residents?
- is this targeted?

As to manual checking, I do not know. You can see the language they use in the attachment - to know what they do to enforce those restrictions you would likely need to speak to a bank representative.

Not known: If there is a geographical restriction (when you open the account online it asks for a ZIP Code "to customize your experience" but it does not say on the mailer if there are any restrictions as to location)

There is not a unique code, so I do not think it is targeted, but as I said before, I'm not sure if they filter by ZIP Code or use other geographical restrictions. There is no language in the mailer fine print that indicates hat they do.

Here's the link to HustlerMoneyBlog on a $100 checking bonus at the same bank. From that page:
HustlerMoneyBlog said: Availability: For residents living in Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, District Of Columbia, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and West Virginia.

*Update by our reader Kyle* – Customer Service Rep said only the states/area where an actual banking office is located are eligible for banking bonus. Those states/area are—MD, NY, DC. All other locations are NOT eligible for banking bonus.

Several people commented that indeed the bonus is ONLY available in states where there is a physical branch: MD, NY, and DC.

I am in VA (granted somewhat near DC), so it must be available in some parts of VA as well. I will edit the original post with the info, thanks.

What about credit card funding?  What's the limit?

I can only tell you what's in the fine print of the offer, which is already attached above:

Qualifying direct deposits include, but are not limited to, electronic deposits such as payroll or Social Security and do not include electronic money transfers or credits such as account-to-account transfers or those made through internet payment services.

N/M

RyeWhiskey said:   Here's the link to HustlerMoneyBlog on a $100 checking bonus at the same bank. From that page:
HustlerMoneyBlog said: Availability: For residents living in Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, District Of Columbia, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and West Virginia.

*Update by our reader Kyle* – Customer Service Rep said only the states/area where an actual banking office is located are eligible for banking bonus. Those states/area are—MD, NY, DC. All other locations are NOT eligible for banking bonus.

Several people commented that indeed the bonus is ONLY available in states where there is a physical branch: MD, NY, and DC.

That makes no sense.  I live in PA, and there's an M&T about 5 minutes from my home.

Opened successfully online in GA. I will wait for DD to post and see what happens.

RyeWhiskey said:   Here's the link to HustlerMoneyBlog on a $100 checking bonus at the same bank. From that page:

What is the difference between "an actual banking office" / "physical branch" and "other location"?

johnnybs said:   What about credit card funding?  What's the limit?
  co-ask

As per following site, M&T Bank doesn't allow Credit Card Funding.. No Go for me.
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/does-funding-a-bank-account-with-a...

Isn't this a Target promotion? It would not work for everyone, would it?

AugustFour said:   > $100 minimum direct deposit - restrictions say it cannot be a bank transfer or credit
do they check this manually?

- how about Bay Area CA residents?
- is this targeted?

I was able to get a checking account maybe five years ago for the Bay Area, CA.  However, maybe a year later I was rejected for a credit card from them (email targetted even) for living out of the area.

Does anyone know if PayPal works for the direct deposit requirement or does it have to be payroll?

BonusMeister said:   Opened successfully online in GA. I will wait for DD to post and see what happens.
  Did your DD work? If so, what did you use for it?

My first DD has not posted yet, it will be from my employer.

They did not pay up last time I did this

misterspaghetti said:   They did not pay up last time I did this
  What did you use as DD when it didn't work?

I was earlier blacklisted for applying too many accounts. That was 5 years ago. Is it worth a try again?

GamingPhenom said:   
misterspaghetti said:   They did not pay up last time I did this
  What did you use as DD when it didn't work?

DD from employer

americano said:   I was earlier blacklisted for applying too many accounts. That was 5 years ago. Is it worth a try again?
  Anyone else in the same boat?

What does blacklisted mean? They won't let you open the account or they won't pay out? If its the former, then try again, if its the latter, its pretty sleazy.

My app goes through fine online. After some days I get a letter saying "the account can not be serviced"

Bonus posted yesterday.

$100 DD from employer hit my account on 9/5.  $150 bonus posted on 9/5.  Easy peasy. 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014