• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Expires 30 Sep 14 Link 

Auto Refi $300 bonus

Credit Card $150 bonus w/$1500 purchases in first 90 days.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Interest rates have been crap for so long, it's easy to forget that a higher rate can have such a difference with the yi... (more)

NEDeals (Sep. 28, 2014 @ 1:43a) |

Ok thanks everyone! Makes sense!

myfrogger (Sep. 28, 2014 @ 12:51p) |

APR vs. APY

Medikit (Sep. 28, 2014 @ 2:08p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
can a non-navy non-military join in this deal?

rated:
AugustFour said:   can a non-navy non-military join in this deal?
  Only if you have some sort of eligibility.

rated:
Just to clarify, the credit card bonus applies only to the GoRewards card

rated:
I am a member but have no accounts with them. Any idea how to fund the CD in that case?

rated:
berkeleyman said:   I am a member but have no accounts with them. Any idea how to fund the CD in that case?
  You have to have a savings account..ACH the money to your savings and then push that way....

rated:
Online system doesn't let me ACH from an external account into savings - only to credit cards as a payment. Last time they ran this promo I had to call them to do an ACH to open a promo certificate.

rated:
Call or do an ACH from your other institution's site.

rated:
FYI the largest auto-refi bonus I seen from NFCU is $400

rated:
No go to the 5% CD in a ROTH IRA.
Still awesome deal.

rated:
I wasn't able to find the eligibility in the site. Do you know how to qualify for this? Thank you!

rated:
oxox said:   I wasn't able to find the eligibility in the site. Do you know how to qualify for this? Thank you!
  Click on "Become a member" Then there's a huge survey that pops up to the right that asks you a bunch of questions to tell you if you qualify.

rated:
Basically amounts to if you have a military background or a relative with some. I didn't see any backdoors (like a donation or anything).

rated:
FWIW many FW members got membership when an easier-to-join CU merged with Navy Federal several years ago. That door is now closed.

rated:
The 5% is only for a CD up to a max of $5000.

Not worth it.

rated:
skunker said:   The 5% is only for a CD up to a max of $5000.

Not worth it.

$250 for 5-10 minutes of your time is not worth it?

rated:
tjguitar85 said:   

Not worth it.

Nope, better spent on some credit card offers or cutting grass for a neighbor. 

rated:
skunker said:   
tjguitar85 said:   

Not worth it.

I would love to know where you have neighbors that you can cut grass for $1500-$3000/hour.

rated:
redsox9547 said:   

thanks ... but   No Navy/Military affiliation ... so pass  

rated:
invisible said:   
redsox9547 said:   

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic said: =470009]Eligibility Checklist
Navy Federal's field of membership is determined by the National Credit Union Administration.
If you fall under any of these categories, you're eligible to join:

All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force retirees and annuitants

All Department of Defense Reservists—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force retirees and annuitants

All Army and Air National Guard Personnel—civilian employees, retirees and annuitants

All DoD Officer Candidate programs—Midshipmen and cadets at the United States Naval Academy, United States Military Academy, United States Air Force Academy, United States Coast Guard Academy and the United States Merchant Marine Academy; Other Officer Programs*

U.S. Government employees assigned to DoD installations (including Coast Guard)

All DoD civilian employees—including retirees and annuitants

DoD contractors assigned to U.S. Government installations

Family Members—including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

Once your family members have joined, they can extend the membership opportunity to their family members, too.

Still not sure if you are eligible? Use our Membership Eligibility Wizard or call us at 1-888-842-6328.

rated:
tjguitar85 said:   

Not worth it.

I have had a Navy FCU account for many years.  I have kept just a small balance while waiting for them to open up some good CD's. Is this offer worth it!
I just called and asked if I ACH'd $5000 today could they open up the CD for me.  The answer yes.  $5000 is on the way.  $250. for only 5-10 minutes.
Yes,  $250 is worth it! 

rated:
tjguitar85 said:   
skunker said:   
tjguitar85 said:   

Not worth it.

I would love to know where you have neighbors that you can cut grass for $1500-$3000/hour.

Columbia

rated:
It took no more than 2-3 minutes on line. I'll take that any day.

rated:
mikefxu said:   
invisible said:   
redsox9547 said:   

[L=http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic said: =470009]Eligi...]http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic]=470009]Eligibility[/L] Checklist
Navy Federal's field of membership is determined by the National Credit Union Administration.
If you fall under any of these categories, you're eligible to join:

All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force retirees and annuitants

All Department of Defense Reservists—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force retirees and annuitants

All Army and Air National Guard Personnel—civilian employees, retirees and annuitants

All DoD Officer Candidate programs—Midshipmen and cadets at the United States Naval Academy, United States Military Academy, United States Air Force Academy, United States Coast Guard Academy and the United States Merchant Marine Academy; Other Officer Programs*

U.S. Government employees assigned to DoD installations (including Coast Guard)

All DoD civilian employees—including retirees and annuitants

DoD contractors assigned to U.S. Government installations

Family Members—including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

Once your family members have joined, they can extend the membership opportunity to their family members, too.

Still not sure if you are eligible? Use our Membership Eligibility Wizard or call us at 1-888-842-6328.

Thanks but no, took the eligibility wizard hoping they may have a loop hole but very straight Qs so says not eligible....

Can I adopt you for a short time?  )

rated:

rated:
5% on CD is a great deal for people who don't want to take any risk. For more aggressive investing, I would prefer to put my money that has more growth potential. AAPL is good way to gain another 10%. I bought AAPL last year around $70/ share ($490 before the split). I am still holding it since I see another 20% gain with the next 2 months. Diversify your investment and buy both CD and stocks like AAPL.

rated:
Is there a limit to the number of CDs you can get at this rate?

rated:
1 per member at this special Celebration CD rate.... this offer expires 9/30/2014, so make sure you open the CD now, minimum $25 to open and then you can fund it later if you don't have the money now.

rated:
any data on whether they are pulling a credit? I remembered getting my report pulled twice for opening savings and credit card on the same day at different agencies.

rated:
KYBOSH said:   Is there a limit to the number of CDs you can get at this rate?
Yes, one per member. By the way in case one does not know, every member of your family can open one. I my case, I just completed applying for 5 accounts of this CD (1 per member). Consequently, my family will earn $1,250 by this time next year when the CDs mature. It took me about 10 minutes with most of the time clicking around my computer getting necessary info to fill in the forms. Yes, this is total worth it for me!

rated:
JuNooNi said:   any data on whether they are pulling a credit? I remembered getting my report pulled twice for opening savings and credit card on the same day at different agencies.
  Credit is typically pulled for loan applications, not deposits.   Credit unions do credit checks on people applying to join, but if you are already a member they don't do credit checks for deposits.  There's not much reason to do a credit check if you are putting money in savings.

I'm a member of a dozen or so credit unions.  All of them pulled credit on joining.  None of them have ever pulled credit for deposits.

rated:
OverRuled said:   
Yes, one per member. By the way in case one does not know, every member of your family can open one. I my case, I just completed applying for 5 accounts of this CD (1 per member). Consequently, my family will earn $1,250 by this time next year when the CDs mature. It took me about 10 minutes with most of the time clicking around my computer getting necessary info to fill in the forms. Yes, this is total worth it for me!

Wait... do you have to enroll these family members as NF members?  

rated:
KYBOSH said:   
OverRuled said:   

Wait... do you have to enroll these family members as NF members?  

A lot of people probably already did that with the last IRA deal they offered.  It doesn't take very long, and they may eventually want some benefit from it.

rated:
On a side note, I am still waiting for their legendary 0% BT offers with no fees. Since I became a member, I haven't heard any. I knew I would ruin it for everyone!

rated:
Thanks OP! Even with the low cap this is still worth it for many

rated:
JuNooNi -- You and I are both waiting. I just paid off the balance on my previous Navy BT... it's got to be coming back soon. Mrs. DB is also waiting with bated breath, although she probably doesn't know it, if you know what I mean.

rated:
debentureboy said:   JuNooNi -- You and I are both waiting. I just paid off the balance on my previous Navy BT... it's got to be coming back soon. Mrs. DB is also waiting with bated breath, although she probably doesn't know it, if you know what I mean.
  I know what you are talking about. "we" also are also "waiting" for the BT offers. It's the only way I can fund the CD or I can wait till WF card offer expires later this month. My cash is pretty tied up with WF at this point.

rated:
Thanks OP! In for a $5k CD. I called them to open it so that they could pull money in from another institution. Took about 10 minutes to get it all set.

Very easy way to make $250!

rated:
JuNooNi said:   On a side note, I am still waiting for their legendary 0% BT offers with no fees. Since I became a member, I haven't heard any. I knew I would ruin it for everyone!
  There may not be any more for a while for current members.  Chase Slate has a 0% no fee BT for new cardholders.  I just transferred my existing 0% BT at NFCU  to Slate for another 15 months. 

Skipping 32 Messages...
rated:
NEDeals said:   
okashiraaa said:   
DPG said:   
myfrogger said:   With only a few days left before the promo ends, I opened a CD today. I've never had a CD before.

However it says:
Celebration Special Certificate
4.880% for 12 mo. 09/27/2015

I thought it was 5%. The difference is minor but I'm curious why it is lower than stated.

4.88% is the rate.
5% is the yield.

I think it's compounded daily.

Interest rates have been crap for so long, it's easy to forget that a higher rate can have such a difference with the yield. Compounding of interest explains the difference.

APR vs. APY

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014