• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
https://www262.americanexpress.com/apply-card/dal/delta-gold-cre...

EARN 50,000 BONUS MILES AND A $50 STATEMENT CREDIT With the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card
FIRST BAG FREEwhen you check a bag on Delta flights.
PRIORITY BOARDINGon Delta flights
‡ ANNUAL FEEEnjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95
† Special Offer Expires on December 21, 2014

Offer & Benefit terms: 
https://www262.americanexpress.com/dapply/web/termsconditions/us...  
https://www262.americanexpress.com/dapply/web/termsconditions/us...

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Call the American Express credit card application center at 1-877-621-2639 if you have any doubts as to whether you have... (more)

memo97224 (Dec. 19, 2014 @ 10:22p) |

Just in case someone wants in ...

One of my card arrived, with delta FF# print... (more)

invisible (Dec. 20, 2014 @ 9:02a) |

out of curiosity has anyone gotten the gold then within a year (before the yearly fee), upgraded to the higher end cards... (more)

dhodson (Dec. 20, 2014 @ 12:21p) |

Exciting times are ahead. Earn 50,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase on your new Card within your first 3 months†
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I attempt to preempt naysayers. This is a good deal on this card if you value skymiles. Some may not. If you don't this might not be the best offer for you, but at a minimum it's worth $550 if you use pay with miles for 1 cpp.

rated:
SkyPesos are not worth 1 cent each unless you are overly optimistic

rated:
tedteddy said:   SkyPesos are not worth 1 cent each unless you are overly optimistic
  did you completely ignore my statement of "pay with miles" guarantees you 1 cpp? (a $150 dollar ticket will cost you 15,000 miles). You must have a Delta AMEX (i.e. the card in this thread) in order to be able to pay with miles.

If anyone were to ever redeem a skymile for less than 1 cpp, they are beyond helpless and should just go back to buying everything with gold coins.

rated:
tedteddy said:   SkyPesos are not worth 1 cent each unless you are overly optimistic
False.  You can "pay with miles" and they're worth exactly 1 cent, and that's available on nearly every fare that Delta sells on its website.  They are worth much more if you can build a base award itinerary, especially in international business or first class.  Admittedly that can be a challenge, but it can be done and the 1 cent pay with miles valuation is still a good baseline.

rated:
I had one of these cards a long time ago - probably 8+ years ago. If I re-apply now will I get the mileage bonus or will I be denied? In the application it says, "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product." but I have seen that on other applications (e.g. Southwest/Chase card) and still gotten the bonus. Is Delta/Amex more strict on this?

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   I had one of these cards a long time ago - probably 8+ years ago. If I re-apply now will I get the mileage bonus or will I be denied? In the application it says, "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product." but I have seen that on other applications (e.g. Southwest/Chase card) and still gotten the bonus. Is Delta/Amex more strict on this?
you will not get the bonus.
AMEX used to have the 2 year rule. They changed it to 'lifetime' recently.
Chase used to not have any rule (and it was applied differently all the time), and they recently added the 2 year rule.

rated:
imbatman said:   
ahallfatwallett said:   I had one of these cards a long time ago - probably 8+ years ago. If I re-apply now will I get the mileage bonus or will I be denied? In the application it says, "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product." but I have seen that on other applications (e.g. Southwest/Chase card) and still gotten the bonus. Is Delta/Amex more strict on this?
Chase used to not have any rule (and it was applied differently all the time), and they recently added the 2 year rule.

Is this for sure or is there some element of YMMV.
I already applied for this offer and got approved (previously received a similar bonus 2-3 years ago). Now it is only a question of whether to go ahead with the 1k spend.

rated:
Delta miles are worthless. AA miles are the only one that is worth getting these days. Hope they don't devalue it like the other 2.

rated:
fatxman said:   Delta miles are worthless. AA miles are the only one that is worth getting these days. Hope they don't devalue it like the other 2.
  These things depend to a good extent on your flying pattern. I have lately been able to redeem a large number of miles on Delta but that was not the case few years ago. Redeeming on AA has been iffy but not bad in my experience.
Also keep in mind the "pay with miles" option with Delta that was mentioned previously.

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
imbatman said:   

I already applied for this offer and got approved (previously received a similar bonus 2-3 years ago). Now it is only a question of whether to go ahead with the 1k spend.

I have not heard of anyone getting an AMEX bonus since they changed to lifetime. you can always try,

rated:
imbatman said:   
fwuser12 said:   
imbatman said:   

I have not heard of anyone getting an AMEX bonus since they changed to lifetime. you can always try,

But is it worth spending $1000 to find out?

rated:
that's for you to know and you to find out.

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   
imbatman said:   
fwuser12 said:   
imbatman said:   

But is it worth spending $1000 to find out?

You are not spending $1000 on nothing. Worst case scenario is a hard pull and 0 points.

rated:
Anyone know if you sign up under a business if you can get the miles if you already had a personal card?

rated:
dmlavigne1 said:   Anyone know if you sign up under a business if you can get the miles if you already had a personal card?
  Now that is a great question! Has anyone tried this before?

rated:
I applied see what happen

rated:
Yes, did it a few months ago.

rated:
Thanks!

Love this stuff...

rated:
imbatman said:   
  did you completely ignore my statement of "pay with miles" guarantees you 1 cpp? (a $150 dollar ticket will cost you 15,000 miles). You must have a Delta AMEX (i.e. the card in this thread) in order to be able to pay with miles.

If anyone were to ever redeem a skymile for less than 1 cpp, they are beyond helpless and should just go back to buying everything with gold coins.

I had no idea about this. Thanks Imbat!

rated:
imbatman said:   

One important caveat - if any part of a ticket is paid with miles, you don't earn miles for the flight. 

rated:
imbatman said:   

Could you point to the text describing this 1cpp garantee? Tx

rated:
b100cks said:   
imbatman said:   

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/use-miles/pay-wi... fares equal to or greater than $100 and less than $250:

• Redeem 10,000 miles for $100 off the total fare or
  • Increase the redemption to 25,000 miles and increase from that point in increments of 5,000 miles ($50 off) to cover the total fare

For fares equal to or greater than $250 and total fares less than $1,000:

• Increase the redemption in increments of 5,000 miles ($50 off) to cover all or part of the total fare (15,000 miles for $150 off, 20,000 miles for $200 off, etc.)

For total fares equal to or greater than $1,000:

• Increase the redemption in increments of 10,000 miles ($100 off) to cover all or part of the total fare (20,000 miles for $200 off, 30,000 miles for $300 off, etc.)

rated:
imbatman said:   
b100cks said:   
imbatman said:   

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/use-miles/pay-wi... fares equal to or greater than $100 and less than $250:

• Increase the redemption to 25,000 miles and increase from that point in increments of 5,000 miles ($50 off) to cover the total fare

For fares equal to or greater than $250 and total fares less than $1,000:

• Increase the redemption in increments of 5,000 miles ($50 off) to cover all or part of the total fare (15,000 miles for $150 off, 20,000 miles for $200 off, etc.)

For total fares equal to or greater than $1,000:

• Increase the redemption in increments of 10,000 miles ($100 off) to cover all or part of the total fare (20,000 miles for $200 off, 30,000 miles for $300 off, etc.)

OK, thanks. Seems very discrete but reasonable.

For some reason when I click your link I see this odd error page, but I'm sure you're not pulling my leg:

THAT'S FORBIDDEN

Not to worry, it isn't as scandalous as it sounds. Unfortunately, you don't have permission to access that page on this server. Please click the 'back' button in your browser or use the links below.

rated:
b100cks said:   For some reason when I click your link I see this odd error page, but I'm sure you're not pulling my leg

Type "pay with miles delta" on your favorite search engine. One of the top links should be it.

rated:
previous card holder???, if my spouse was the primary card holder of a delta amex gold and had a card issued in my name - I'm I eligible for the bonus? 

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
b100cks said:   For some reason when I click your link I see this odd error page, but I'm sure you're not pulling my leg
  Type "pay with miles delta" on your favorite search engine. One of the top links should be it.

found it. any other good redemption options? saw some Broadway stuff...

rated:
asked them to match the 50k offer since I recently did the 30k offer but they did not.

rated:
TOMANDTJ5 said:   previous card holder???, if my spouse was the primary card holder of a delta amex gold and had a card issued in my name - I'm I eligible for the bonus? 
  you were an AU on your wife's card?
you're fine

rated:
b100cks said:   
fwuser12 said:   

found it. any other good redemption options? saw some Broadway stuff...

do not redeem skymiles for anything other than airfare. Best case, you can redeem 8,000 for $50 (0.625 cpp).

rated:
Sorry for being dense but what is the best deal when using miles for airfare?

Are longer trips vs shorter better?
Do you pay part of the fare with miles?
Use them for first class upgrade?

rated:
No to all three of those questions.
2) there's no way to pay part of a fare with miles. It's coming soon and you get a value of around .6 cpp.
3) I don't think they've implemented pay w miles to upgrade yet, but it will be at or less than 1 cpm.
1) you can't break it up longer/shorter. There are two types of flights where I have gotten 5+ cpm. International business class (4,000 mile trips-$6,000 ticket for 110k miles) and close in short haul (last minute fares were $1,300. Award ticket was 25k miles for a 600 mile flight)

So the answer is- get the most expensive flight for the miles

rated:
Thanks for the reply. When u say get the most expensive flight for the miles do you mean costly. For instance I'm planning on taking a 1 hr flight soon so not very far. The cost for that flight is $450 so a little expensive compared to flying 2-3 hours for the same price. So I should use the points for this shorter trip bc it is more expensive for the miles?

rated:
dhodson said:   Thanks for the reply. When u say get the most expensive flight for the miles do you mean costly. For instance I'm planning on taking a 1 hr flight soon so not very far. The cost for that flight is $450 so a little expensive compared to flying 2-3 hours for the same price. So I should use the points for this shorter trip bc it is more expensive for the miles?
  I mean, get the most expensive ($$$) flight for the miles. So whatever the cost of the ticket is divided by number of miles required for that ticket.
If you can get a $450 ticket for 25,000 miles, that's 1.8 cpm. It's up to you to decide if that's worth it or not.
If it's $450 for a 1 hour flight vs 2-3 hours for the same flight, I would take the 1 hour flight.

rated:
Call the American Express credit card application center at 1-877-621-2639 if you have any doubts as to whether you have EVER had one of their Delta Gold Sky Miles cards or any other American Express products. The call center staff person quickly and easily checked my card history. In 2008 this particular product had been issued to me, so they informed me that the "welcome bonus" would not be available. As a result, I saved myself a lot of time, manufactured spending, and disappointment. There seems to recently have been a joint effort among the various credit card issuers to combat "churning."

The person I spoke to was very knowledgeable and wanted to provide excellent service..........I'm keeping the telephone number for future reference.

rated:

Just in case someone wants in ...

One of my card arrived, with delta FF# printed on it ... activated, under previous AMEX online account ... shows my delta skypesos under AMEX acct ... now to complete manufactured spend.... 

rated:
out of curiosity has anyone gotten the gold then within a year (before the yearly fee), upgraded to the higher end cards they have (which has an immediately charged and much higher fee). I was thinking of doing this for the additional perks which are primarily as far as i can tell free access for the card holder only to the delta clubs with the reserve card, one companion voucher per year (which maybe could be worth the $450 fee) and i believe they have an enhanced concierge service. Im trying to figure out if the concierge service is really of any value since ive never used one. My goal would be to see if i can get this new card issued before the gold renews, transferring my current points and taking advantage of the initial new points they give with such a new card (assuming they allow that).

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014