These are a couple of credit cards I currently have:

Juniper Bank
Balance: $4,300
APR: 19.99%

Fleet Bank
Balance: $3,500
Available Balance: ~$2,300
APR: 8.99%

I received some balance transfer checks from Fleet. It's 1.99% APR for 6 months (until April 2004). After that, it goes up to the regular APR of 8.99% There is a balance transfer fee of 3% with a maximum fee of $35

I want to take advantage of this offer and transfer $2,300 from my Juniper account to my Fleet account. I believe that this will save me some money on interest payments.

Is this a wise decision? Is it woth it? Please discuss.

HERE ARE MY ORIGINAL CREDIT CARD DEBTS

Juniper
Balance: $7,003
Limit: $15,750

MBNA
Balance: $1,340
APR: 17.99%
Limit: $2,000

Citibank
Balance: $1,862
APR: 10.74%
Limit: $2,200

Fleet
Balance: $3,150
Limit: $6,000

BankOne
Balance: $3,550
Limit: $4,000

TOTAL CC DEBT as of 06/16/03 was $16,905

Ads by Google
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
If every tax paying American had to pay their $151K share of the national debt, in general would that be good debt or ba... (more)

urtpiz (Jul. 20, 2014 @ 8:38p) |

As long as I don't have to pay my share of the debt, I'm pretty sure it would be "good debt"

xerty (Jul. 20, 2014 @ 8:40p) |

Well, yes, I guess as the older we get, the less we are concerned with such "frivolities".

urtpiz (Jul. 20, 2014 @ 8:44p) |

Congratulations on completing your odyssey. You have earned honors to become FW's hero.

rated:
while anything is better than 19%, those arent very good deals///

your payments to fleet are going to pay down the 1.9 balance before getting to the 8.9 remainder, so youll actually be saving very little when factoring in the BT fees///

why not move both balances to cards with 0% balance transfer rates and they usually have no BT fees

rated:
SUCKISSTAPLES said:

<< why not move both balances to cards with 0% balance transfer rates and they usually have no BT fees >>

I tried, but I was denied a couple of times already (Chase, Discover, Amex) for a 0% APR balance transfer

Should I try again?

rated:
I wouldnt apply for more now if you keep getting denied (whats the reason they list?)

Do you have any short term access to cash (friend, parent?) The ideal strategy would be to payoff the Fleet card completely before doing the BT, so that the WHOLE balance would be at 1.9%....

are you keeping up your previous strategy (you mentioned in other threads) of paying at least $500/month toward your CCs? If so, after this BT you should be able to payoff Juniper in about 6 months, and Fleet a year after that... keep it up!

rated:
SUCKISSTAPLES said:

<< I wouldnt apply for more now if you keep getting denied (whats the reason they list?)

Do you have any short term access to cash (friend, parent?) The ideal strategy would be to payoff the Fleet card completely before doing the BT, so that the WHOLE balance would be at 1.9%....

are you keeping up your previous strategy (you mentioned in other threads) of paying at least $500/month toward your CCs? If so, after this BT you should be able to payoff Juniper in about 6 months, and Fleet a year after that... keep it up!
>>

Reasons for denial (as stated in my credit report):
- Too many inquiries in the last 12 months
- Proportion of balances to credit limits is too high on bank/other revolving accounts
- Length of time accounts have been established
- Amount owed on accounts is too high

I have access no short term access to cash

I currently have a total CC debt of $14,300 (originally $17,000+) divided among five (5) credit cards. And yes, I've dedicated $500 every month into paying the CCs. Due to the fact that I have 5 CCs that I have to pay, I can only put about $300/mo into the Juniper card, and pay the minimum on the rest.

I'd like to pay the Juniper off first as it has the highest APR of the 5 CCs. At this rate of $300/mo it'll take 1 1/2 yrs to pay of the Juniper card completely. After that, I can start attacking the next highest APR card, which is an MBNA card at 17.99% APR with a balance of $1,300

This being said, what's the best course of action for me? Should I take advantage of these checks?

rated:
One thing you have to be careful (may be obvious to you already...) is that when you have exiting balance on the credit card that you want to transfer your balance to, the monthly payment you make will be paid towards the balance transfer amount, not your existing balance....and usually the existing balance has a much higher interest rate than your tansfer balance.

rated:
BunnyTubby said:

<< One thing you have to be careful (may be obvious to you already...) is that when you have exiting balance on the credit card that you want to transfer your balance to, the monthly payment you make will be paid towards the balance transfer amount, not your existing balance....and usually the existing balance has a much higher interest rate than your tansfer balance. >>

I'm aware of that, but I'm undecided as to what I should do.

That 19.99% APR is a big PITA though

rated:
Wow, that is a lot of credit card debt. Couple more questions before I give my 2 cents.
1) What is the APR on all of your 5 credits cards?
2) What is your balance of each credit card?
3) Do you use 1 card or multiple cards for daily expenses? Which one do you use?

rated:
NDogg said:

<< Wow, that is a lot of credit card debt. Couple more questions before I give my 2 cents.
1) What is the APR on all of your 5 credits cards?
2) What is your balance of each credit card?
3) Do you use 1 card or multiple cards for daily expenses? Which one do you use?
>>

My current cards:

Juniper
Balance: ~$4,300
Limit: $15,750

MBNA
Balance: ~$1,300
APR: 17.99%
Limit: $2,000

Citibank
Balance: ~$1,778
APR: 10.49%
Limit: $2,200

Fleet
Balance: ~$3,560
Limit: $6,000

First USA
Balance: ~$3,275
APR: 0% (then 8.99% after December 2003)
Limit: $4,000

I do NOT use any of my CCs anymore. I pay for everything with cash.

I've allocated $500 each month to pay them off, paying the highest APR card first (Juniper), and paying only the minimum on the rest.

rated:
Sorry, one more question, what are you credit limits on them?

rated:
Do you have any cards with a zero balance? If so, call that one and ask them for a balance transfer. If you have balances on everything, pay one of them down as quickly as poosible and then call them. Credit card companies don't like zero balance customers and will likely offer you something.

rated:
NDogg said:

<< Sorry, one more question, what are you credit limits on them? >>

I updated my post. Check above.

rated:
dcwilbur said:

<< Do you have any cards with a zero balance? If so, call that one and ask them for a balance transfer. If you have balances on everything, pay one of them down as quickly as poosible and then call them. Credit card companies don't like zero balance customers and will likely offer you something. >>

No, I have no cards with $0 balance

rated:
You need to find some breathing room. I'd call every one of your issuers and ask them for their best no fee low interest long term balance transfer option and inquire about bumping your credit limit at the same time.

I still think you are in a better position to get a good BT offer from a zero balance card. If you can't get anyone to offer you a BT large enough to pay off the Juniper card, then pay off the MBNA card instead (using either a BT, or as a lastresort, those Fleet checks). Then wait a month and call MBNA and see what they will offer you.

rated:
dcwilbur said:

<< You need to find some breathing room. I'd call every one of your issuers and ask them for their best no fee low interest long term balance transfer option and inquire about bumping your credit limit at the same time.

I still think you are in a better position to get a good BT offer from a zero balance card. If you can't get anyone to offer you a BT large enough to pay off the Juniper card, then pay off the MBNA card instead (using either a BT, or as a lastresort, those Fleet checks). Then wait a month and call MBNA and see what they will offer you.
>>

Ask for a "low interest" balance transfer? Easier said than done. As you can see, I really don't have much credit available to play with.

I'd love to get a 0% APR BT card, but as I've mentioned in a few posts above, I've already been denied at least 3 times. The reasons for denial are also listed above, please read them. It would do more harm than good to keep trying, am I correct? I understand that this will just hurt my credit score more.

rated:
Call up all your issuers and tell them you're in financial distress because you've just lost your job. They will see none of their money unless they give you some breathing room in the form of lower rate, lower balance, or both. If they don't agree, hang up and try again.

rated:
Hmmm...too bad you don't have any of those AMEX cards that give rewards for carrying a balance to help negate some of that interest. Anyway, here it goes...I don't think it's worth it to use those balance transfer checks to transfer $2300 from Juniper to Fleet. The reason being the same as what SUCKISSTAPLES said and you won't be saving much anyway plus you still would have a balance on that Juniper card. Also, I wouldn't balance transfer unless the card I'm balance transferring from goes to zero. Does that make sense? Since you can't make that Juniper balance go to zero, you will still be making 5 payments to each credit card and you're in the same boat for at least another 5-6months. So, the most you can do is to keep on doing what you're doing until you can transfer that whole balance left out of Juniper.

Another suggestion is that you can balance transfer the MBNA and Citibank to your Fleet account (can you get a higher limit?) so that you would end up with only 3 credit card payments to make instead of 5 freeing up a little more money to help pay down that Juniper.

Lastly, have you tried calling Juniper to ask for a lower rate? 7 out of 10 times a company will lower your interest rate if you ask (don't remember where i saw this).

One more thing, don't close your accounts when you get them to zero balance.

rated:
IBJanky said:

<< dcwilbur said:

<< You need to find some breathing room. I'd call every one of your issuers and ask them for their best no fee low interest long term balance transfer option and inquire about bumping your credit limit at the same time.

>>

Ask for a "low interest" balance transfer? Easier said than done. As you can see, I really don't have much credit available to play with.

I'd love to get a 0% APR BT card, but as I've mentioned in a few posts above, I've already been denied at least 3 times. The reasons for denial are also listed above, please read them. It would do more harm than good to keep trying, am I correct? I understand that this will just hurt my credit score more.
>>

Don't try for awhile if you want to do this, for at least 6 months. Yes, it looks bad, plus you've been denied 3 times already.

rated:
IBJanky said:

<< Ask for a "low interest" balance transfer? Easier said than done. As you can see, I really don't have much credit available to play with.

>>

Don't apply for NEW cards - just call all your existing card issuers and ask them for their best deal. I'd try this before I'd do anything else. Getting any one of these accounts to a zero balance (and keeping it open) will give you some breathing room and eventually lead to more flexibility.

rated:
LittleHulk said:

<< Call up all your issuers and tell them you're in financial distress because you've just lost your job. They will see none of their money unless they give you some breathing room in the form of lower rate, lower balance, or both. If they don't agree, hang up and try again. >>

I'm not sure if iit's a good idea to resort to lying about my current employment status. Who know what kind of consequences that will have later down the line. (ie. credit report, etc.)

rated:
NDogg said:

<< Another suggestion is that you can balance transfer the MBNA and Citibank to your Fleet account (can you get a higher limit?) so that you would end up with only 3 credit card payments to make instead of 5 freeing up a little more money to help pay down that Juniper.

Lastly, have you tried calling Juniper to ask for a lower rate? 7 out of 10 times a company will lower your interest rate if you ask (don't remember where i saw this).

One more thing, don't close your accounts when you get them to zero balance.
>>

Would it be wise to ask for a credit limit increase on my Fleet account considering that I've had the card for less than 6 mos. only?

Yes, I have called Juniper and asked for a lower rate. They said that nothing is available for me right now.

Also, I'm aware of keeping the account open even after the balance is 0$.

rated:
<< Would it be wise to ask for a credit limit increase on my Fleet account considering that I've had the card for less than 6 mos. only? >>

Hmmm, not sure about that, didn't realize it was so new. I assume the the FirstUSA one is even newer then :7

<< Yes, I have called Juniper and asked for a lower rate. They said that nothing is available for me right now. >>

How bout the MBNA or the Citi Card?

Do you happen to own a home?

rated:
NDogg said:

<< Hmmm, not sure about that, didn't realize it was so new. I assume the the FirstUSA one is even newer then :7

How bout the MBNA or the Citi Card?

Do you happen to own a home?
>>

Yes, FirstUSA and Fleet are the same age accounts.

MBNA and CitiCard are older accounts. I've already tried to ask for a lower rate, and that's all I could get.

And no, I do not own a home

rated:
UB, what is Janky ?

Here is a thought - not sure of it's validity.

Rather than paying off the highest interest card first, pay off the lowest balance card first, with intent (and hope) of that card then being more receptive to a lower APR and higher credit limit for subsequent BT.

rated:
EricGo said:

<< Rather than paying off the highest interest card first, pay off the lowest balance card first, with intent (and hope) of that card then being more receptive to a lower APR and higher credit limit for subsequent BT. >>

I don't like that idea, too much of a gamble. Basically, you're hoping that they will give you a lower APR/higher credit limit/BT.

And what if it doesnt turn out the way you intend it to be?

Then I've been just wasting my time paying the interest of the HIGH APR card

rated:
EricGo said:

<< UB, what is Janky ?

Here is a thought - not sure of it's validity.

Rather than paying off the highest interest card first, pay off the lowest balance card first, with intent (and hope) of that card then being more receptive to a lower APR and higher credit limit for subsequent BT.
>>

Well, he could do that, but at the max current rate he can pay to the lowest balance credit card, it will take him about 5months to pay that off, and the card that has the lowest balance has the second highest APR. At the same time, he would be getting charged some nasty interest for the card that has the most balance and the highest APR. I don't think any other card is going to offer him anything lower than the 8.99% he's getting on the other two cards.

rated:
EricGo said:

<< Rather than paying off the highest interest card first, pay off the lowest balance card first, with intent (and hope) of that card then being more receptive to a lower APR and higher credit limit for subsequent BT. >>

That's what I recommended too. Getting ANY of these cards to a zero balance will give him more flexibility. I would use whatever balance transfer/credit limit increase I could to get one of these cards to zero. Any time I've paid off a card, I've gotten a phone call or mailer within days. You know the call: "We were wondering why you are making a large payment and wondering if there is anything we can do do sink you deeper in to debt..."

rated:
Well IBJanky, it looks like you've exhausted all the current options you have at the moment, and it doesn't look like you can do much but to do what you're doing and stay disciplined with the spending for the time being. Looking at what you have now and considering all the comments by others, what I would do if I were in your situation would be to balance transfer the MBNA (your second highest rate) to your Fleet card. That would give you a 16% less APR on ~$1300 for 6 months and then 9% less APR thereafter, for a balance that you will not be able to pay off until your Juniper is paid off anyway. It would also give you one less minimum to pay, a credit card with 0 balance, and a credit card that isn't maxed out. Keep doing what you're doing and re-examine your position in 6months. Maybe you'll get a raise or something. Best of luck!

rated:
NDogg said:

<< Well IBJanky, it looks like you've exhausted all the current options you have at the moment, and it doesn't look like you can do much but to do what you're doing and stay disciplined with the spending for the time being. Looking at what you have now and considering all the comments by others, what I would do if I were in your situation would be to balance transfer the MBNA (your second highest rate) to your Fleet card. That would give you a 16% less APR on ~$1300 for 6 months and then 9% less APR thereafter, for a balance that you will not be able to pay off until your Juniper is paid off anyway. It would also give you one less minimum to pay, a credit card with 0 balance, and a credit card that isn't maxed out. Keep doing what you're doing and re-examine your position in 6months. Maybe you'll get a raise or something. Best of luck! >>

that sounds like the best option so far...

so its settled then? transfer the MBNA to the Fleet card?

rated:
Got a 401k with enough to take a loan and pay the balances? That's what I did way back in 1995. It didn't take long before the issuers offered much better terms and I'd borrowed the money back from them paid the 401k loan in full. There were no CRA issues with the 401k loan either. No inquiries, no reporting.

Stay tuned for alarmist warnings of inevitable dire consequences of taking a 401k loan. The reality is sometimes they can be used advantageously.

rated:
WalStMonkey said:

<< Got a 401k with enough to take a loan and pay the balances? That's what I did way back in 1995. It didn't take long before the issuers offered much better terms and I'd borrowed the money back from them paid the 401k loan in full. There were no CRA issues with the 401k loan either. No inquiries, no reporting.

Stay tuned for alarmist warnings of inevitable dire consequences of taking a 401k loan. The reality is sometimes they can be used advantageously.
>>

Unfortunately, I have no 401K

rated:
WalStMonkey said:

<< ...inevitable dire consequences of taking a 401k loan. The reality is sometimes they can be used advantageously. >>

That is assuming you have a very stable job that there is no chance of losing. That you don't mind not having your retirement money working for you while you are repaying the loan. That you don't mind paying back non-deductible interest vs. perhaps borrowing against a HELOC. And that you don't mind paying taxes twice on both the interest and principle part of your repayments since your repaying with after tax money and will be paying taxes again at retirement when withdrawn. I sure wouldn't do it unless it was absolutely the last possible choice in an emergency.

rated:
WalStMonkey said:

<< Got a 401k with enough to take a loan and pay the balances? That's what I did way back in 1995. It didn't take long before the issuers offered much better terms and I'd borrowed the money back from them paid the 401k loan in full. There were no CRA issues with the 401k loan either. No inquiries, no reporting.

>>

I'm doing this very thing right now. Paying myself 5% interest is the best return I'm getting on it right now.

Wow, 7 minutes for the first warning, good call WSM.

rated:
"That is assuming you have a very stable job that there is no chance of losing. "

Not in this case. Note I suggested that he pay off the cards with the intent of using the cards to pay back the 401k loan. Even were the job loss to occur and no offers of lower interest to entice him back into the balance carrying fold forthcoming, he can still put the money back on the cards and be no worse of than today.

"That you don't mind not having your retirement money working for you while you are repaying the loan. "

He's paying non deductible interest at about 15% APR on those funds to the cc issuers. I'd say his funds are working against his retirement.

"That you don't mind paying back non-deductible interest vs. perhaps borrowing against a HELOC.

He's already stated that he owns no home. The 'non deductible' interest is paid into his retirement fund instead of non deductible interest being paid to various banks.

" that you don't mind paying taxes twice on both the interest and principle "

No No No No you don't pay double taxes on the principal. IT IS TAXED ONE TIME at withdrawl. This myth needs to be put to bed. I'm surprised you've fallen for it. The interest is taxed twice but 30 years from now it'll still leave more in his pocket than paying it to Juniper Bank today.

rated:
so its settled then? transfer the MBNA to the Fleet card?

rated:
From what has been posted, it does appear transferring MBNA to Fleet would be the best idea....MBNA is good about offering BT deals and will likely make you an offer once youre down to $0....

Isnt there ANY way you could payoff the Fleet in FULL prior to doing the BT, so you could then do one BIG BT, putting the Fleet balance and MBNA balance all back on Fleet at 1.9%? Im sure SOMEONE you know could give you a short term (~ 30 day) loan...From prior postings, I take it you are in your late teens/early 20s///If you explain your plan to a family member, wouldnt they be willing to help?

rated:
OK, I have never posted here, so this is my first time. I was in the same predicament a few years back and slowly crawled my way out of it and learned a few lucky things along the way. I will share them with you and you can decide whether to believe them or not.

I had three cards. Discover, MBNA and FirstUSA. The first thing I did, was I got lucky and focused on paying down the lowest balance card first. That was MBNA. Interestingly enough, within one month of having this paid off, MBNA sent me balance transfer checks with a low rate. Wow I thought this is cool. When you are as far in debt as you are (and I was) lets face it, every penny counts.

Play the balance transfer game as much as you can.

So here is the funny thing. I had even missed a few payments. I wnet from being one of MBNA's worst customers to one of their best overnight. I guess they were used to getting my money, because they wanted it back. The more I played the balance transfer rate, the better rates I got, and the more my credit limits climbed. Once card even gave me a $30K line of credit. These people are crazy. I still have the same job, still make the same money, still have the same inability to pay, but man oh man, like a crack dealer they are willing to feed the addict.

Not all companies offer teaser rates. But the operators should know whether they do or not, so this might be a good thing to know and might change the rules a little. But still the general principals and the outcome I get to below are the same.

It took me almost 3 years to pay off all my debt, so the first thing to remember is that this money you save in interest will add up over time. And its not just what you save on interest immediately that matters, but the interest on the interest over three years that you save...the power of compounded rates of return. (It works for you great in certificates of deposits but bites you just as hard in the opposite direction).

OK I am going to suggest one more thing. Most cards offer you a fixed limit on the transaction fee (so it pays to transfer as much as possible at one time)

Here goes. You can always (most of the time) get a cash advance from any of your cards. Usually at a little higher than the purchase rate, but the Juniper card you have at 19% is the highest rate already, to pay off another card at any time. Take a cash advance off of one card to pay off the card that gives you the balance transfer low rate. You will pay some upfront fees, u these are usually capped at $35 to $50 and with the amounts you are talking about they amount to very little overall cost.

Here is what I would do if I was in your situation:

1) Take a cash advance on the Juniper to pay off the Fleet ($35 upfront fee) (You will have $7910 on Juniper)
2) Call Fleet everyday and ask them what your balance is. (You are waiting to hear them say "0"
3) The day it is paid off, use the $6000 to pay off the MBNA, Citibank, ($3078) and then move $2922 from Juniper back to Fleet maxing out your $6000 credit line and leaving $4988 on Juniper
4) Wait a month (more like 45 days) and MBNA and Citibank will begin sending you balance transfer teaser rates. (You suddenly became a good customer as you paid your balance in full)
5) Use this $4200 in available credit to get the money off the Juniper, leaving you a balance of only $788 on Juniper which you should have been able to pay off in those 2 months.
6) You will then a month after the zero balance (interest only remaining to be paid) possibly see Juniper offer you a teaser rate.
7) Repeat these steps as necessary.

I did this and at one point calculated that I saved over $3500 during the two years in interest. My cards were all at 19.99% and 21.99% though, so your savings will be less. But $10K in debt at $20% is $2000 a year in interest. If you can lower that to the single digits for the 2-3 years it will take you to pay these off, you will get out at way ahead of time. A $3000 savings would be an extra 6 months you get your head above water and once you pay these things off, you need to celebrate your success a little.

Well I hope this helps. It worked for me. Nothing is better than being out of debt and knowing that all your money is going to you and not the credit card company.

rated:
SUCKISSTAPLES said:

<< From what has been posted, it does appear transferring MBNA to Fleet would be the best idea....MBNA is good about offering BT deals and will likely make you an offer once youre down to $0....

Isnt there ANY way you could payoff the Fleet in FULL prior to doing the BT, so you could then do one BIG BT, putting the Fleet balance and MBNA balance all back on Fleet at 1.9%? Im sure SOMEONE you know could give you a short term (~ 30 day) loan...From prior postings, I take it you are in your late teens/early 20s///If you explain your plan to a family member, wouldnt they be willing to help?
>>

I have no friends or family members that can help. I have to do things on my own

From what it looks like though, transferring the MBNA balance onto the Fleet appears to be the BEST option as of this moment. It'll give me some flexibility and breathing room

rated:
grimjack said:

<<
Here is what I would do if I was in your situation:

1) Take a cash advance on the Juniper to pay off the Fleet ($35 upfront fee) (You will have $7910 on Juniper)
2) Call Fleet everyday and ask them what your balance is. (You are waiting to hear them say "0"
3) The day it is paid off, use the $6000 to pay off the MBNA, Citibank, ($3078) and then move $2922 from Juniper back to Fleet maxing out your $6000 credit line and leaving $4988 on Juniper
4) Wait a month (more like 45 days) and MBNA and Citibank will begin sending you balance transfer teaser rates. (You suddenly became a good customer as you paid your balance in full)
5) Use this $4200 in available credit to get the money off the Juniper, leaving you a balance of only $788 on Juniper which you should have been able to pay off in those 2 months.
6) You will then a month after the zero balance (interest only remaining to be paid) possibly see Juniper offer you a teaser rate.
7) Repeat these steps as necessary.
>>

Interesting method GrimJack, but the fact that Fleet charges me 3% of each BT check ($35 max) and the outrageous APR for cash advances makes me somewhat hesitant.

Skipping 743 Messages...
rated:
xerty said:   
urtpiz said:     If every tax paying American had to pay their $151K share of the national debt, in general would that be good debt or bad debt?  Just curious. 
  As long as I don't have to pay my share of the debt, I'm pretty sure it would be "good debt"

Well, yes, I guess as the older we get, the less we are concerned with such "frivolities".  

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014