• Text Only
scott1961 said: My Verizon disappeared also, And I still have it. Very strange as accounts usually stay on your reports for years after they are closed. Was showing as over 10 years so might have dinged my score a bit when it disappeared

i was a long time verizon customer. but they only reported me after i moved to another town with a new phone number. thus my account age was very short

tomprc said: scott1961 said: My Verizon disappeared also, And I still have it. Very strange as accounts usually stay on your reports for years after they are closed. Was showing as over 10 years so might have dinged my score a bit when it disappeared

i was a long time verizon customer. but they only reported me after i moved to another town with a new phone number. thus my account age was very short

Mine was never on my report until about a year ago, Then one day I got an alert from Myfico that my score increased by 13 points. I logged on to see what might have changed and saw that Verizon was added and showed as open since 1995. Now gone as quick as it came. Very strange

BOA MBNA: Experian
AMEX: Equifax, Eqperian
Capital One: ALL 3!
Scottrade: Equifax

Do utilities, like in Boston Keyspan Gas and NStar Electric, report monthly?

aptvictoria said: It might be more useful to list those that DON'T do hard pulls. By steering the public to those institutions that behave ethically, the unethical ones, in the long run, will lose market share. The public is behaving like Pavlov's dog in conducting business with these "hard-pullers". Knowledge is the key to behavior modification.
I agree that it would be useful to ALSO list those that don't hard pull. Others who are considering opening an account with them will have some sort of assurance (do your own homework, of course). It would be nice to have both a hard pull green list and red list.

IndyMac said they don't do a hard pull. They do Chex verification instead.

City National Bank (CNBT) said they do a hard pull.

Edit: eBank does a hard pull on Equifax according to this BankDeals post.

Edit: HTH Worldwide Bank said, "When you apply for an account, we use several different systems to verify information and your previous banking history. None of these services will impact your credit score in any way."

Edit: What about First Internet Bank of Indiana (firstib.com)?

Ross29 said: Gieco pulled me, and they then told me about it after they did it.

When was this? Geico offered a 10% discount if I agreed to a credit check and they said the credit inquiry would be a soft inquiry which doesn't affect my credit score.

plane said: Do utilities, like in Boston Keyspan Gas and NStar Electric, report monthly?
No, Verizon did then suddenly stopped

Would it be acceptable to ask people to note having an existing account within the same financial institution too? For example,

Bank of America checking account - hard pull on experian (already have a savings with them / have a BoA credit card / etc)

I don't know if you intended to include utilities, but if you do:

Southern California Gas Company
Los Angeles Department of Water and Power
AT&T Phone/DSL

USBank for open checking TU
USBank for open credit card, EQ

BofA hard pulled TU for opening a CD over net. They never pull when I do it over phone or in branch.
BofA also pulled TU when I opened HLOC even when associate who sold me on HELOC promised me that there will not be hard pull.

This is an interesting thread, but one further data point might be whether or not you provided your SSN. It would be interesting to see how many hard pulls were done without one.

I'd like to add:

BellSouth for residential landline, Atlanta metro area, Equifax (6/2006)
Comcast for cable service, Atlanta metro area, Equifax (6/2006)

Both insisted on coughing up the SSN and doing a credit check - I argued with them about it, but what are you going to do with a utility?

Sprint cell phone does hard pull on my Equifax.

I openned a Premier America Credit Union checking account and CD a few months ago. I checked my credit report, there was no inquiry from it.

A UFBDirect rep told me on the phone today that it's a "soft hit". Will order a credit report in a couple of weeks and see about that.

Are there any conclusions we can draw from this thread?

I'm left wondering why so many parties require SSN (e.g. doctors, apartment rentals) when from what I gather here a check can be done without one. It seems all that's necessary is a name and address -- and your consent, but that's a gray area too, since sometimes it's not clear for what you're giving your consent when you agree to something.

I do not give SSN to doctors because they do not need to know it in order to treat me. Never had any issues with it. In fact, I am sure that many people who do not have SSN visit the same doctors. SSNs would be useful for collectors though if it comes to that (why would I want to help them?), or it can get stolen because ,unlike financial institutions, medical offices hardly have any privacy standards enforced. If they did, they would not be asking for SSN in the first place.

my car dealer asked for SSN and did a hard pull, even when I paid full in check!!

Same thing happened here. Paid with check and cash, but still did a credit inquiry.

Is there a thread with a list of Institutions that are confirmed not to do a hard pull?

Thank you.

I hate to ask But does ING Direct use chexsystems or a credit report for their new Electric Orange Checking account?

Wells Fargo: I change my account from regular to all advantage account (have free bill pay, checks etc) and a hard pull. So if they ever ask you to upgrade your free account do not do it.

Bank of America pulled hard for Saving Account and
soft for checking account from experian.

cbroyles2005 said: I hate to ask But does ING Direct use chexsystems or a credit report for their new Electric Orange Checking account?
It states this on ING site

"Are you sure you don't pull my credit to get the Overdraft Line of Credit?
Yes positive. We do not check or 'ding' your credit. The standard $1,000 line does not even show up on your credit report, unless of course you don't pay us back."

B of A pulled hard TU for a checking acct even though I was already a bofa customer....

Even though QS says Ameriprise pulls hard that is NOT true.

Ameriprise for car quotes pulls soft. I verified this with Ameriprise and cross verified with AMEX. Then I pulled EQ to verify that they dont pull hard; only a soft.

Is there anywhere to search for a bank name to see if they make a hard pull? The bank I'm inquiring about is not talked about in this thread.

plasticity said: B of A pulled hard TU for a checking acct even though I was already a bofa customer....

They seem to be doing alot more of this lately.

Does anyone know if TradeKing or SogoInvest do hard pulls? If so, with which agency? I haven't seen them mentioned here.

USA Credit Union of Michigan pulls a hard Equifax without telling you and pulls one for each account you open even cd's or when you buy a savings bond.

I know this must be answered elsewhere (like in some FAQs) --- but could someone add here or to the thread summary what is immediate impact on a couple hard pulls to the average, non-AOR Joe and how long it takes for this effect to go away

germanpope said: I know this must be answered elsewhere (like in some FAQs) --- but could someone add here or to the thread summary what is immediate impact on a couple hard pulls to the average, non-AOR Joe and how long it takes for this effect to go awayeach hard is a small credit score hit, usually 2-7 points. the score largely recovers fully within 6 months, even though the inquity remains on your report for 2 years

scott1961 said: cbroyles2005 said: I hate to ask But does ING Direct use chexsystems or a credit report for their new Electric Orange Checking account?
It states this on ING site

"Are you sure you don't pull my credit to get the Overdraft Line of Credit?
Yes positive. We do not check or 'ding' your credit. The standard $1,000 line does not even show up on your credit report, unless of course you don't pay us back."

all well and good, but their standard line hasn't been $1000 in a while so maybe the other information here isn't quite so current either ...

SUCKISSTAPLES said: Wells Fargo (When ever you make any changes like ... change address on your account etc, their Credit department is making a hard enquiry on Experean....

Are you serious? If you update your address for your account, Wells Fargo does a hard inquiry on your credit report? Please tell me I misread that.

This mania for doing hard pulls has become insane.

RisingSun96815 said: SUCKISSTAPLES said: Wells Fargo (When ever you make any changes like ... change address on your account etc, their Credit department is making a hard enquiry on Experean....

Are you serious? If you update your address for your account, Wells Fargo does a hard inquiry on your credit report? Please tell me I misread that.

I just joined NASA FCU so I could get one of their 5.65% CDs. They did a hard pull on Equifax which lowered my "myFICO" score 5 points.

By the way, when I joined Patelco I had anticipated a hard pull but they apparently did not do a hard.

Added DishNetwork to QS. I can also confirm Patelco did not pull a hard when I joined in January.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: Pentagon Federal Credit Union pulls a hard inquiry when you signup to become a credit union member and open a deposit account.

I applied by telephone, and the rep did not mention she was pulling a credit report on me.

What if you sign up to become a member but DON'T open a deposit account, do they still pull a hard inquiry?

The only way to become (and stay) a member is to open a savings account with a minimum $5 deposit. So there's no way to avoid this.

BillLumberg said: SUCKISSTAPLES said: Pentagon Federal Credit Union pulls a hard inquiry when you signup to become a credit union member and open a deposit account.

I applied by telephone, and the rep did not mention she was pulling a credit report on me.

What if you sign up to become a member but DON'T open a deposit account, do they still pull a hard inquiry?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014