Amex's extended warranty

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Has anybody ever taken advantage of the automatic extended warranty that American Express offers on the items that you buy with their credit card? I purchased a laptop a year ago, and AMEX told me that now that my original warranty has expired, they can extend it for me free of charge. How easy will it be for me to get the repair service under Amex's warranty and will it really be free?

Vovito,

Yes, it will be free. Get the laptop repairs. Get a receipt from the repair with the costs. Get your receipt of the purchase of the laptop that shows the purchase on the AMEX card. Process it with AMEX. Get the refund. Done deal.

agree. done it before. it works.
good to call AMEX first and let them know to open a claim file.

Agreed, but calling before my speed things up, they may replace rather than repair on certain items. A laptop might not fall into that bracket of replacing though.

Editied: fat fingers

I was in similar situation. I had 20 months old Toshiba laptop which suddenly stopped working. It did not boot at all. I filed a claim and AMEX asked me to get the estimate. I went to BestBuy and those stupid people could not find the problem and gave me an estimate of $1800. I had purchased my laptop on AMEX blue. AMEX asked me to file the repair estimate with the store receipt. They verified the claim and then it was sent to their Replacement dept. After a week they called me and said they cannot repair it and they will give me a new laptop of similar or better config. As my laptop was old they could not find the exact one and they offered me a similar one from Toshiba. It was for 1050. I said I need cash. They approved the claim and asked to send my old laptop to their salvage dept. I did that and received a check of $1050 + $60 (best buy service). It was a great experience with AMEX. I dont think any CC company can compete with AMEX when it comes to customer service.
Hope this helps.

Yeah it works.
My friend purchased laptop from UBID.com (don't ask me why) but that had 6 months warranty.. and it stopped working after 9 months.. they paid 600 dollars for a 1000 dollar laptop.
I hope that helps.

I purchased a refurbished VCR with 90 day warranty. It stopped working right after the manufacturer's warranty. Will my AMEX card provide extended warranty on refurbished vcr?

EmptyWallet said:

<< I purchased a refurbished VCR with 90 day warranty. It stopped working right after the manufacturer's warranty. Will my AMEX card provide extended warranty on refurbished vcr? >>

I believe the AMEX extended warranty excludes refurbished items. Check your credit card agreement. Otherwise, I've had excellent experience with them over the years. They refunded original price to me for a bike, watch, and a CD-RW Drive( when they were going for close to $300!).

You may also want to take a look at The Credit Card "Free Insurance" thread for more info. This an other useful credit card threads can be found in the Credit Card FAQ.

skibum43 said:

<< I believe the AMEX extended warranty excludes refurbished items.Q]
Is that really true? My Compaq laptop was in fact refurbished, and it came with a 1-year warranty from Compaq when I bought it.

I can also voucher for AMEX's great serivice. I've had claims for warranty as well as the 90 days return. Both were painless and payment was fast.

The 90 day return for a pc that I bought and decided not to keep it because it was just too noisy. New Egg wouldn't take it back so they did. Pack it and shipped and check came in 2 weeks.

What if I don't have a copy of the credit card receipt, but do have a copy of the dated invoice? More often than not those little CC slips have burn-on ink that fades after a few months... leaving nothing more than a greyish-white slip. Highly annoying.

And maybe another question... what if you upgrade your AMEX card to a higher one (so like AMEX student to AMEX blue)?? Has anyone been successful at getting the warranty coverage for purchases made with the old card?

Pen said:

<< What if I don't have a copy of the credit card receipt, but do have a copy of the dated invoice? More often than not those little CC slips have burn-on ink that fades after a few months... leaving nothing more than a greyish-white slip. Highly annoying.

And maybe another question... what if you upgrade your AMEX card to a higher one (so like AMEX student to AMEX blue)?? Has anyone been successful at getting the warranty coverage for purchases made with the old card?
>>

I had asked the same question to AMEX CSR and he said yes. It does not matter if you still has that card with you or not. Also you dont need to have the credit card receipt. They can always verify the charge if you tell them the amount and date of invoice.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014