• filter:
  • 1 2345102
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I would like to start an Official Test-drive tread here, because doing test-drives is a good source of free money for doing nothing, and having all the info in one place would greatly help many people who want to participate. Unfortunately, test-drives are not offered very often these days as they used to be in 2000-2001, however, if you organize your test-drive strategy wisely, using all available names of people, cats, and dogs in your household, and also using all available home and business addresses where you can get mail, you can get a good chunk of extra money.

For newbie FW-ers, here's a brief introduction into test-drives.

A test-drive is a promotion running by a car manufacturer (or sometimes a car dealer) which allows you to get some type of gifts for coming to a dealership and driving a new car. The gift is usually a gift card to a store, or a prepaid charge card (Ford, Lincoln, Mitsubishi), such as MasterCard or American Express . Sometimes (Nissan, Cadillac) they offer a non-cash gifts, such as picnic backpacks.

The main source of getting test-drive offers is finding a test-drive certificate in new car brochures, but don't bother picking them up at the dealerships, because you won't find anything inside. If you want to get test-drive offers, you will have to request brochures from car manufacturer's web-sites. So if you want to start playing test-drive games, it would be a good thing to start from. Once car manufacturers have your address, you will start receiving private test-drive offers, which are available only for those who has already been in their mailing lists. Sometimes, you can find new test-drive offers in newspapers or magazines, but those cases are very rare.

The process of taking advantage of test-drive deal is very simple. You get a test-drive certificate, go to a dealership, and show it to a salesman. The salesman offers you to drive a car, and validates the certificate usually but signing it, filling out the dealer's code, and sometimes VIN number of the car you were driving. Also, sometimes the salesman is supposed to give you his/her business card. Then you send completed certificate by fax or by mail, along with the business card (if required) to the address printed on the certificate and patiently (no - I should say VERY PATIENTLY) wait for your gift to arrive by mail. Of course, be sure to make copies of all papers before sending them out. Sometimes (Cadillac) you don't have to send anything, because the gift will be given to you right at the dealership.

Important - please read. Very often the salesman will ask you upfront if you are in the market for a new car. Please be honest, and tell him/her the truth. If you say that you came only to get a gift, but are not going to buy a new car, they will be happy to validate your certificate without wasting time on test-drive. In my personal experience, 95% of the visits to different dealerships happily ended without having to test-drive cars.

Even more important - also please read. Please understand, that test-drive offers, like many other types of promotions and deals being discussed on this forum, are very YMMV. That means, that even if two thousand fifty five people in your neighborhood received a test-drive offer, it doesn't mean that you will get it too. Offers are being sent by car manufacturers randomly, depending on your state, city, age, previous history with the company, and, sometimes, the color of your neighbor's cat. So if you received a brochure without any offer, please don't get mad, and of course don't try to call the company and demand the offer!!! You can request another brochure, sometimes it helps. If not - just pass this offer because there are others coming.

When you found a new test-drive deal, please post it in the "Quick summary" section and don't forget to bump this thread so that subscribers could get alerts immediately

Here are text files with the dealer codes for some brands:

Ads by Google
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I'm thinking of doing this but can I leave my other car instead of the one that I qualified it with?

SuperOcean (Jul. 26, 2014 @ 12:41a) |

I tried this, didn't work. I guess it was only for 1 or 2 dealers. Did find www.livedriveloveford.com - giving away $1... (more)

acc1104 (Jul. 27, 2014 @ 10:43p) |

I tried it already - not worth even calling...they wouldn't let me off the phone - just wanted my email to send me car i... (more)

acc1104 (Jul. 27, 2014 @ 10:51p) |

MORE GENERAL INFO

Dealer Codes
Dealer codes are specific to brand but they "almost" always stay the same from visit to visit. That is, a dealer that carries both Chrysler and Suzuki will have a unique Chrysler dealer code and a unique Suzuki dealer code. These codes are assigned by the vehicle distributor (i.e. Chrysler Corp and Suzuki Motors) so they may differ in format, number of digits, all numeric/some alpha, etc. The only reason a (for example) Chrysler dealer's code would change is if the dealership goes through a change of ownership, which is usually obvious to consumer (new name on the sign outside) but is sometimes transparent. So if you've got the code of the (for example) Chrysler dealer in your town, it's likely to stay the same from TD to TD, but there is a possibility of it changing without obvious change in dealership management.

Quick way to check this is to look at the window sticker (aka Monroney label) on their new cars. This is the official sticker with list price, fuel economy numbers, etc., not the dealer's "add-on" label. Usually the dealer code will appear on the window sticker after the dealer name, maybe in real small print down in one corner.

Toyota:
from this list find your TOYOTA dealer code 5 digits
http://www.empirepao.com/tsb/T-CP-60A-0001-W.pdf
add TY at the beginning

----------------------------------------------------------------
Live Deals
Volkswagon - FREE $25 Reward Card FW Link
California
  Santa Monica, Offer - Starbucks, ExxonMobil or Prepaid MasterCard 
  Vacaville, Offer - Starbucks, WalMart or Prepaid MasterCard 
  Hawthorne, Offer - Starbucks, ExxonMobil or Prepaid MasterCard 
Connecticut
  Meriden, Offer - Starbucks, Target or Prepaid MasterCard 
Forida
  Miami 1, Offer - Starbucks, Target or Prepaid MasterCard 
  Miami 2, Offer - Starbucks, Target or Prepaid MasterCard 
  Coral Springs, Offer - Starbucks, Target or Prepaid MasterCard 
  Doral, Offer - Starbucks, Target or Prepaid MasterCard 
Oregon
  Medford, Offer - Shell, Target or Prepaid MasterCard 
  Salem, Offer - Starbucks 
Massachusetts
  West Springfield, Offer - Starbucks, Target or Prepaid MasterCard 
  North Attleboro, Offer - Starbucks, Target or Prepaid MasterCard 
New Jersey
  Freehold, Offer - iTunes, Target or Prepaid MasterCard 
  Princeton, Offer - Starbucks, Target or Prepaid 
Fair Lawn
MasterCard 
New York
  Amherst, Offer - Starbucks, Target or Prepaid MasterCard 
  Orchard Park, Offer - Starbucks, Target or Prepaid MasterCard 
  East Rochester, Offer - Starbucks, Target or Prepaid MasterCard 
  Mohegan Lake, Offer - Starbucks, Target or Prepaid MasterCard 
Pennsylvania
  Harrisburg, Offer - Starbucks, Target or Prepaid MasterCard 
  Lancaster, Offer - Starbucks, Target or Prepaid MasterCard 
  West Chester, Offer - Starbucks, Target or Prepaid MasterCard 
Rhode Island
  East Providence, Offer - Starbucks, Target or Prepaid MasterCard 
Virginia
  Woodbridge, Offer - Starbucks, Target, or Prepaid MasterCard

--------------------------------
July 25, 2012: Register on the Baby Center Website and hope you get an e-mail for a $50 eGift Card Chrysler Town and Country test drive.

E-mail notice:

Chrysler is offering a $50 eGift Card (1) to BabyCenter members who test-drive the 2012 Town & Country. Take the test-drive and use the code below to register for your $50 eGift Card from a range of retailers including Babies "R" Us (2). Schedule your test-drive today.
CERTIFICATE CODE:
XXXXXXXXXXX

--------------------------------

Get a $25 Visa gift card with 2012 Kia Optima test drive

LINK

Free Oakley "Gascan" Sunglasses when you Test Drive new Stryker Star Yamaha Motorcycle YMMV (no test drive is needed!)

1. Randomly generate a 7-digit number at the link below (hint: it starts with a 4) until you get through to the next page (might take 5-15 min YMMV).
2. Fill out your info and make up another 6-digit waiver number (you may start it with 7, but looks like any combination works).
3. Receive your glasses within a couple of weeks (I already did)

LINK

Credit to instinet and discussion from S/D

Expired / Dead Deals
12/8/2010 : $50 Gift Card for test driving Jeep.
. Go to www.jeep.com

2. Select "Build My Own"

3. Select a vehicle (I used 2010 Wrangler)

4. Build it out however you like by selecting options then hitting "next."

5. When done select "Get a Quote" it will ask for your Name, Address, and E-mail. Be sure you to use the right info so you can get your card mailed to you.

6. Select your local dealer and click "Send to Dealer"

7. In a little while you will receive and E-mail from Jeep (You also will get E-mails from your dealer probably!) with subject "Test Drive" giving you a link and saying if you go test drive selected vehicle you will receive a $50 GC.

8. When you go to the dealer make sure you get their dealer code as you will need it to fill out the form that their E-mail has the link too.

9. (Optional) When you show up to your dealer tell them why you are there and they will probably just give you the code. This way you don't waste your time and the salespersons. Some dealers might insist on a test drive but some will be happy that you are up front and just give you the code. Most salespeople are people too who are just trying to get by!

2-8-2010: $25 Gift Card for test driving 2011 Kia Sorento

2011 Kia Sorento Test Drive
Posted by DiMAn0684, credit goes to sheysaves @ S D
*TERMS AND CONDITIONS: Test-drive offer is valid from 2/8/10 to 3/15/10 To be eligible, test-driver must be 18 years of age or older with a valid drivers license This offer is non-negotiable and non-transferable One $25 prepaid card per household Test-drive and dealer validation required Only the completed
e-certificate with an original dealer signature and unique Customer ID will be honored Your envelope with the original, completed e-certificate inside must be postmarked by 4/15/10 All matters of program eligibility and qualification will be conclusively resolved by Kia Motors America, Inc., in its sole discretion Void where prohibited Offer valid while supplies last Kia is not responsible for mistakes or typographical errors Kia is not responsible for lost or misdelivered mail Kias liability to you is limited to the value of the prepaid card For comments or questions, please call 1-866-265-8452 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-866-265-8452 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

12-7-09: $25 e-certificate (Reward Choice) for test driving a Kia Forte
Received via e-mail (was on their e-mail list). Go to dealer for dealer code, salesperson signature. Preferred Customer ID per person. Expires 1/31/2010

12-15-09: New BMW testdrive offer for $50 AMEX card: BMW USA
EDIT: "Offer valid for original mailed recipients of BMW NA American Express Fill It Up Card program communications. Offer invalid for individuals not originally contacted by BMW or who receive the offer via a 3rd party source."

$25 AMEX gift card from Chevy
Received it via snailmail. Go to the local dealer to get the Dealer Validation Code (BAC) then go to rewardsfromchevy.com/testdrive to submit. You also need the Customer Code from the in mail offer. Expires 3/2/09.

$50 Target gift card from Ford
Request a free brochure for Ford Fusion at Ford's website. Check that you are going to buy a car in 3 months. You may get this offer in the mail, but YMMV. Worked for me in Indianapolis, IN.

Free $300 Gas Certificate for Test Drive: Hyundai, Nissan, or Kia @ Marina Auto Center in CA (Labor Day Special)
Hyundai Genesis event... various locations around the country.
No money, but you get a "$40" car cleaning kit and a $500 coupon that IS TRANSFERABLE for going.
Linky

$50 Wawa gift card from Saturn
Forms can be picked up in malls in the Greater Philadelphia area showcasing Saturn vehicles (this was a Kravco/Simon, probably at other Kravco/Simon malls. list here).
Postage paid business reply postcard, have it filled out by the dealer, says it takes 3 weeks to receive the card.

$50 Home Depot or Bed, Bath, & Beyond gift card from Chrysler for 2008 Town & Country TD
Received 5/14/2008 via Snail Mail. Exp: 6/24/2008
Can be submitted online: www.chrysler.com/TandCtestdrive

$75 gift certificate to Flemings for test driving a Hummer.
Valid in NH and MA only:
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/sponsors/14138160/detail.html
Linked

2007 Maserati Quattroporte : Received offer by mail for an "Omaha Steaks" pkg for a test drive. Have to register on website with PIN included on mailing.

Smart Car USA tour. Test drive a Smart car when the tour is in your touwn, fill out the survey and get $10 Starbucks card. No limit on how many test drives. The cards are given on the spot, no mailing in forms or anything.
Check for your city

Get a $50 Visa Debit Card for test driving the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Cash in on this exclusive offer for the All-New Ram 1500!
Here are two big reasons to get to your Dodge dealer ASAP.
$1,000 bonus cash allowance, and
$50 Visa

rated:
EXCELLENT thread! Thank you, OP! It's always nice to make a few $$$ on the side like this.

rated:
when i moved i got a certificate in the USPS movers guide to test drive a Ford and get $50 prepaid mastercard. this was a move to VA so it's probably a large YMMV.

there used to be a thread devoted to test drives somewhere by the way.

rated:
I just received a $75 AMEX GC for test driving a Mercury Montego. No idea why I recvd the offer in the mail, I don't remember signing up for any brochures or anything. But you may want to try...

rated:
A lot of dealers seem to give out lift tickets this time of year.

rated:
kupop2 said: there used to be a thread devoted to test drives somewhere by the way.That was in the now defunct rewards forum.

I've done a couple of these test drives (Jeep and Suzuki) and neither one ever sent me the promised reward.

rated:
MaxMojo said: I just received a $75 AMEX GC for test driving a Mercury Montego. No idea why I recvd the offer in the mail, I don't remember signing up for any brochures or anything. But you may want to try...

I got the same one. I have no idea why I got it, but you can bet I was at my local Mercury dealer a couple days later.

rated:
However valuable the thread may be, it is not a finance topic. According to the FW staff in this thread, test drive rewards should be posted in Hot Deals.

rated:
Thank you for starting this thread. Great idea!!!

rated:
Great post! Thks OP.

rated:
Thanks OP!

rated:
wonderful!!
thanks op!!

rated:
MaxMojo said: I just received a $75 AMEX GC for test driving a Mercury Montego. No idea why I recvd the offer in the mail, I don't remember signing up for any brochures or anything. But you may want to try...I got that one too. Didn't even have to test drive- the salesman just signed it and said he'd do it too. Great thread prikindel, thanks.

rated:
MaxMojo said: I just received a $75 AMEX GC for test driving a Mercury Montego. No idea why I recvd the offer in the mail, I don't remember signing up for any brochures or anything. But you may want to try...

There was a thread on this at one point in Hot Deals. Maybe you signed up and forgot?

BTW, no matter where this thread ends up, thanks for putting it together. If you could hit several dealerships all in a day it would make it worth it.

rated:
this is an excellent thread. Thanks OP.

rated:
Well I didn't receive the $75 AMEX GC for test driving a Mercury Montego. What shall I do? Go to a dealership and ask for a certificate?

rated:
sorry, this offer doesn't give free money and requires purchase.
I thought it will be useful for someone.

100,000 BA (British Airways) Miles with Jaguar lease or purchase
Offer continued

From its genuine leather and wood appointments to its 294-HP V8 engine, the 2005 Jaguar XJ is ready to take you to your chosen destination in unmistakable style. And if your idea of "destination" happens to be located on a different continent, XJ can accommodate you as well.

To take advantage of this exclusive, limited-time offer, visit a Jaguar Dealer and purchase a 2005 Jaguar XJ between November 15, 2004, and January 28, 2005. At time of purchase, present your original, printed offer certificate. Send completed offer certificate with dealer validation along with a copy of sales contract or lease agreement to Jaguar Program Headquarters, PO Box 2430, Brea, CA 92822. Submissions must be postmarked by February 28, 2005.

For complete details and to print your offer certificate, click here.

rated:
xoneinax said: A lot of dealers seem to give out lift tickets this time of year.

Not in TX

rated:
Nicely done.

rated:
I recievbed a TD for the Saturn Relay few days ago for a $25 card (they didn't say if it is a AMEX or what) that was included in the brochure can (similar to a pringles chips one) . I am ot sure if this info will be of any use to anyone but I thought of sharing it

rated:
A very good idea to start one place for all offers. Thanks OP.

rated:
$25 gift card to test drive any Saturn, came in a regular letter, I had previously requested information on the Saturn VUE and bought a Saturn a long time ago (1994).

A bit complicated, TD between 12/12/04 and 1/26/05, mail validated voucher by 2/9/05, the send a list of merchants to select a gift card from, submit order for gift card.

rated:
this is an awesome post...I'm bookmarking this one. thanks OP!

rated:
The link for the 2005 Volvo XC90 AWD doesnt work :S

Nevermind its working again

rated:
Great thread. Thanks.

rated:
Nice one OP! Wonder why no one thought of this sooner!

rated:
derekgo said: Nice one OP! Wonder why no one thought of this sooner!

Because everyone is going to be watching this thread and when a new offer is posted servers will be overloaded and the offer pulled?

rated:
thanks for making this thread, OP.

one suggestion: post links for all the brochures that we should be signing up for, not just the current test-drive promotions.

rated:
We received offers via postal mail for the Mariner and Montego from Lincoln Mercury for 75 dollar Visa and AMEX cards and recently did a Hyundai offer for a 50 dollar AMEX gift check and have gotten several of the Saturn relay offers in these cute metal tubes via postal mail.

rated:
derekgo said: Nice one OP! Wonder why no one thought of this sooner!

Been there, done that several years ago...it (the routine) got to be a bit boring after a while. Just my experience.

rated:
Although I sign up at websites whenever these are posted, I have never received a test drive deal. Maybe I am just not in their marketing category.

rated:
ingosgirl said: Although I sign up at websites whenever these are posted, I have never received a test drive deal. Maybe I am just not in their marketing category.

You don't have to be. The test-drive certificate is very easy to get from their websites. I recall that there was a website that gave out that kind of information as well.

rated:
$30 Mastercard for driving a Toyota Tundra in AL, FL, GA, NC, & SC
Valid until 2/11/05

Request a Tundra brochure.

rated:
sojourn4me said: We received offers via postal mail for the Mariner and Montego from Lincoln Mercury for 75 dollar Visa and AMEX cards and recently did a Hyundai offer for a 50 dollar AMEX gift check and have gotten several of the Saturn relay offers in these cute metal tubes via postal mail.

What model of Hyundai?

rated:
Updated with Toyota Tundra and Mazda6 test-drives

rated:
prikindel said: Updated with Toyota Tundra and Mazda6 test-drivesRemove the http:// from the Tundra brochure link

rated:
jatan1986 said: Remove the http:// from the Tundra brochure link

ooops, thanks

rated:
Too bad I don't see anything listed on Chevrolet at all, as the Aveo is the next car we're looking at buying this year. Maybe I should go sign up on the site's mailing list, but I'm not sure if that will get me anything.

rated:
Great thread, I got a test drive offer for 2005 tundra in the mail a few weeks ago. Gift is a 60.00 prepaid mastercard. So, there must be 2 tundra offers out. I don't even know how they got my address. Just thought I would let you know in case of a shot a this one.

Oh, I'm NC and it has a dealer stamp on it so it my just be for my area. No idea.

Skipping 4002 Messages...
rated:
I tried it already - not worth even calling...they wouldn't let me off the phone - just wanted my email to send me car info because there was no test drive for $$$.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1 2345102
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014