• filter:
  • 12 3 4523
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Wells Fargo DOES count ING as direct deposit. I have used direct deposit from ING to my WF account for the last 3 years to avoid bank fees.

rated:
ACH okay at BankOne.

As per phone rep at 1-877-226-5663, a direct deposit is any electronic deposit and is not a wire transfer and does not have a paper check.

Update to follow in 6-8 weeks after I get my statement.

rated:
vamos said: a question - when you use citi or other banks service to pull the money out of ING, does that also count as a DD vs pushing the money from ING?. coz the registering of accounts via ING with mailing the check etc takes a week+.

Withdrawl your bank initiates is not likely to count as direct deposit.

rated:
any word on chase? I just opened an account, want to make sure i can do the direct deposit easily
thanks

rated:
figured but wanted to be sure. think i'll just use paypal for doing $1 DD to various accounts that require it to avoid fees vs mailing a check with your name/addie on it. plus the few pennies here and there you get for registering your accounts via PP .

ArthurDent said: vamos said: a question - when you use citi or other banks service to pull the money out of ING, does that also count as a DD vs pushing the money from ING?. coz the registering of accounts via ING with mailing the check etc takes a week+.

Withdrawl your bank initiates is not likely to count as direct deposit.

rated:
read in another thread that paypal counts as DD for chase.

propcgamer said: any word on chase? I just opened an account, want to make sure i can do the direct deposit easily
thanks

rated:
USAA is also a government company.
Whether ACH from USAA can be consider as DD by some banks?

lsufanatic said: Banks that count ING/Paypal/ACH push transfers as direct deposits

Bank of America (ING, Paypal, ACH push)
Bank of the West (ING, Paypal, Emigrant)
Bank One (ING)
Charter One (ACH push, ING)
Citibank (ING)
Citizens Bank (ING)
Commerce Bank (ING, Paypal) - refers to one in the northeast
Commerce Bank (ING) - refers to the one in Missouri
Compass Bank (ING)
E-Trade Bank (ING, ACH push)
HSBC (ING)
PNC Bank (ACH push, Paypal)
Salem Five (ACH push)
SunTrust (ING, PayPal)
Wachovia (ING)
Washington Mutual (Paypal)
Wells Fargo (ING???) - One report that ING is counted as DD, one report that it isn't...YMMV

Banks that don't count ING/Paypal/ACH push transfers as direct deposits (confirmed failures)

Presidential Bank
Wells Fargo (no ING???)
Wachovia (no PayPal)

rated:
USAA is not a government company.

rated:
Great thread.

rated:
For those of you, who use Bidpay, there's also now an option to send the money directly to your bank account. I've done it before, but to an account with paypal or ING deposit as well.

Can anyone verify if Bidpay.com payments count as DD?

rated:
I opened a Plus E checking account at TCF Bank - they required I buy a box of checks for $14. I then linked my Paypal account and transferred a little over $100 to my new TCF account. That was good enough to get my $14 check printing charge reversed.

I was told Paypal direct deposit is also works to waive the monthly fee for Plus E Checking.

Please note: Paypal will not work to get the $75 direct deposit bonus because they make you bring your paystub into the branch office to verify that you are having the full amount of you check directly deposited into the checking account.

rated:
Nice thread!

Principal Bank(http://www.principal.com/bank/) also takes deposit from ING Direct as Direct Deposit.

rated:
Very helpful thread.

Question: does the amount matter? For instance, I just set up recurring transfers from ING to BofA to fulfill the DD requirement. I used $30 as the amount, but can it be less? Or should it be more? Or maybe it doesn't matter - anyone know? Thanks!

rated:
1 cent should be OK!
I usually use 1 dollar.

jsantab428 said: Very helpful thread.

Question: does the amount matter? For instance, I just set up recurring transfers from ING to BofA to fulfill the DD requirement. I used $30 as the amount, but can it be less? Or should it be more? Or maybe it doesn't matter - anyone know? Thanks!

rated:
I don't understand the point in this thread... aren't most checking accoutns free anyways? I know some banks offer a better account for those with DD, but isn't it usually minimal at best (like some demeaning interest rate)?

rated:
johndoe123 said: I don't understand the point in this thread... aren't most checking accoutns free anyways? I know some banks offer a better account for those with DD, but isn't it usually minimal at best (like some demeaning interest rate)?

The point of the thread is that many of the "free" checking accounts require direct deposit. It is also a requirement for many of the new account bonus offers that get posted here.

rated:
Confirmed.

Bank One - Paypal

On statement: "Your monthly service fee was waived because you had Direct Deposit activity during the statement period."

The only deposit in this period was a Paypal xfer of $18.92

The account is a One Checking account from Bank One.

rated:
sithlordabe said: Confirmed.

Bank One - Paypal
Thanks, but it was already confirmed (bjg's post from 2/10).

rated:
ArthurDent said: Bank of America checking treats ACH transfer originating from ANY another account as a direct deposit. I confirmed this information last time I was at a branch.

Be careful. If a company sends you a CCD (corporate ACH credit) it may not count.

Direct Deposit is a subset of ACH transactions. The PPD code shows that it is a consumer transaction. Without physically reviewing the transaction, I'm not aware of any easy way for a bank to see a transaction is NOT a direct deposit.

A good question to ask when opening your account is, "does it need to be direct deposit, or simply a PPD credit?"

rated:
Sorry for asking what may be a simple question, but what is an "ACH Push"?

rated:
Cherry30303 said: Sorry for asking what may be a simple question, but what is an "ACH Push"?

I am wondering the same thing; is it simply an ACH deposit that is initiated via another bank (or payer such as paypal)?

rated:
BudSinsemilla said: Cherry30303 said: Sorry for asking what may be a simple question, but what is an "ACH Push"?

I am wondering the same thing; is it simply an ACH deposit that is initiated via another bank (or payer such as paypal)?
Exactly.

rated:
I am sorry, but I am still in the dark about this. If I manually initiate a transfer from say virtual bank or ING Direct, is that an ACH Push? But then again I see listings such as (ING, Paypal, ACH Push) listed next to a bank's name as alternative DD. So it seems that an ACH Push is different. Will someone please explain a little clearer. If you don't want to clutter this thread, just please PM me instead if you prefer!

rated:
My understanding is that ACH push is a general term, that transfers into a checking account initiated from ING or PayPal belong to. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

rated:
Push and pull just specify which bank is initiating the transfer. Logging on to Bank A and sending money to Bank B is a push. Logging on to Bank B and requesting money be sent from Bank A is a pull.

rated:
Great post OP.

I just signed up for a BOA checking account hoping that ING will count as DD. Before I mail in my application, I wanted to confirm this with BOA so I gave them a call this morning.

Well, guess what. I just got off the phone with 2 different BOA reps and they said only the payroll deposit counts as DD, not ING Direct. Neither of them knew what ING Direct was. I had to explain to them that it is a savings account and I can transfer funds from ING to BOA. They told me a transfer is not the same as DD so I will get charged a monthly fee. I got frustrated and hung up on them.

Now, do they bringing street people for the sunday morning shifts? Can they be anymore clueless? I already linked the BOA account to ING but it sounds like I might have to cancel my BOA account. OR should I just make a "transfer" from ING to BOA and see if I get hit with a monthly fee? Any input will be appreciated!

rated:
See the first two posts for all your answers.

rated:
I am planning to use this one of the DD methods. Now How do I get CashEdge or PayPal DD? Sorry, I am not familiar with this.

(I used to have a fleet account when in NEwyork. And then I moved to Chicago, and continued to hold the account. Now after Bofa Fleet merger, I started to see a $12 monthly fee. Called them, and converted to a less fee 5.95, if no direct deposit in another 30 days.)

rated:
Boomerrang16 said: Great post OP.

I just signed up for a BOA checking account hoping that ING will count as DD. Before I mail in my application, I wanted to confirm this with BOA so I gave them a call this morning.

Well, guess what. I just got off the phone with 2 different BOA reps and they said only the payroll deposit counts as DD, not ING Direct. Neither of them knew what ING Direct was. I had to explain to them that it is a savings account and I can transfer funds from ING to BOA. They told me a transfer is not the same as DD so I will get charged a monthly fee. I got frustrated and hung up on them.

Now, do they bringing street people for the sunday morning shifts? Can they be anymore clueless? I already linked the BOA account to ING but it sounds like I might have to cancel my BOA account. OR should I just make a "transfer" from ING to BOA and see if I get hit with a monthly fee? Any input will be appreciated!

You'll find that experienced FWers would not make a call of this nature. You're letting our cats out of the box.

rated:
Does anybody know if capitalone inter-bank transfer is counted as DD in any of these banks?

rated:
Can anyone update as to Chase and Netbank? Thanks

rated:
I'm thinking of opening presidential account. If I just set up the ING push, what can I do to avoid being manually reviewed?

What are the fees if there's no DD, or does the interest rate take a hit. I am unable to get the TOC for the checking puls account on their site.

rated:
Economist said: I'm thinking of opening presidential account. If I just set up the ING push, what can I do to avoid being manually reviewed?

What are the fees if there's no DD, or does the interest rate take a hit. I am unable to get the TOC for the checking puls account on their site.

There really isn't any way to avoid a manual account review. The only suggestion I could give would be not avoid calling customer service at all costs.

There are no fees if you don't have a direct deposit, however you lose a substantial part of the interest rate (1.5% difference if I remember correctly).

rated:
Economist said: I'm thinking of opening presidential account. If I just set up the ING push, what can I do to avoid being manually reviewed ?An ING push wont even allow you to get the DD interest rate, so a manual review is irrelevant.

rated:
xoneinax said: Economist said: I'm thinking of opening presidential account. If I just set up the ING push, what can I do to avoid being manually reviewed ?An ING push wont even allow you to get the DD interest rate, so a manual review is irrelevant.That is incorrect. I have Prez with ING push with the correct rate (3.5 now). I signed up before they stopped accepting ING DD (over a year and a half ago). I never call them. I even received a courtesy call from them for a large check I wrote, and that didn't trigger a review. I didn't even know ING DD was not acceptable until I read it in this thread.

rated:
I requested a transfer from ING to my Washington Mutual checking and it shows in the description "DIRECTDEP/ING Direct DEPOSIT" . Looks like Wamu treats ING transfer as direct deposit

rated:
Anyone can confirm chase bank treat ING as DD?

Thanks.

rated:
I have the same question.

Truevalueman said: Can anyone update as to Chase and Netbank? Thanks

rated:
Yeepeee! Got my Chase checking account statement, and there it was: DD from ING. ING sent two small deposits to verify.

rated:
Ok, could someone spell out exactly how to do this? Do you just set up a reoccurring transfer from Paypal or ING to your checking account once a month? Does it have to be for a certain amount of money or do you just make it a couple dollars?

Thanks for the help. Please PM if you don't want to reply here.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014