• filter:
  • 1 234523
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I would like to compile a master listing of which banks count ING Direct, Paypal, Emigrant Direct, or CashEdge/ACH push transfers as direct deposits. I realize that we have mentions of some of this information in various threads on specific bank account bonuses, but I thought it would be helpful to have a single source for ready reference.

I will begin the master list on the next post with the little bit of information I know from personal experience, and will update periodically based on the information posted in the replies to this thread. When posting, please post which methods you have successfully used to fulfill your bank's direct deposit requirements. Thanks!

Note: I am updating the list based on exactly what is reported. I am trying to assume nothing. Therefore, if someone only mentions ING works, it will only be listed on the ING list. It can probably be assumed that CashEdge would work in this case as well, but I will not add to the list until someone verifies it.

New list format: I have made a single list for banks that count any psuedo-direct deposit methods, with the methods confirmed in parenthesis. Also, since the term Cashedge is foreign to many and not completely applicable in some situations, I will simply refer to these types of transactions as ACH pushes.

Ads by Google
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Would Nationwide Bank accept Fidelity Investments as Direct Deposit?

pattyB (Aug. 20, 2014 @ 2:58p) |

What about an ACH push from Fidelity to Nationwide Bank as direct deposit, will it work?

pattyB (Aug. 20, 2014 @ 6:42p) |

SERVE still works!

noktekniq (Aug. 21, 2014 @ 2:57p) |

All you ever wanted to know about Direct Deposit:
http://www.electronicpayments.org/

**NEVER** ask any bank rep to confirm if ING/Paypal/ACH push transfer is counted as direct deposit!

Banks that count ING/Paypal/ACH push transfers as direct deposits (confirmed successes):

Please indicate how much money was transferred.

Bank of America (ING, Paypal, ACH push) as of 8/2012, many said no longer works other than real payroll deposit
Bank of the West (ING, Paypal)
Bank One (ING, Paypal, ACH push)
Bank of New York (ACH push)
Capital One (ING)
Charter One (ING, ACH push)
Chase (ETrade, Ally, BofA ACH push, AmEx Serve, Bluebird, AP, Citibank) - seems to only allow ACH push and only from some banks, YMMV
Citibank (ING, ACH push) - Paypal shows as transfer 10/12, ACH push from some banks no longer work as of 12/2011
Citizens Bank (ING)
Columbia Bank (Paypal)
Commerce Bank (ING, Paypal) - refers to one in the northeast
Commerce Bank (ING) - refers to the one in Missouri
Compass Bank (ING)
E-Trade Bank (ING, ACH push)
Endura Financial
HSBC (ING, Paypal, ACH push)
Huntington National Bank (ING, PayPal, ACH push(from E-Trade , HSBC) )
KeyBank (Paypal, HSBC,Ally ACH push)
LaSalle (ACH push (ETrade ))
M&I Bank (Marshall & Ilsley) (Paypal)
M&T Bank (ACH push (HSBC trial deposit))
Northshore Bank (ACH push)
PNC Bank (Paypal, ACH push, ING)
Principal Bank (ING)
Regions (ING, ACH push)
Salem Five (ACH push)
Sovereign (ACH push-ETrade , ING)
Santander (ACH Push, Ally, Alliant, American Express Serve)
SunTrust (ING, Paypal)
TD Banknorth (ACH push)
UFBDirect (ACH push)
USAA (ING)
US Bank (Paypal, ACH push)
Valley National Bank (ING)
Wachovia (ING, ACH push)
Washington Mutual (ING, ED, Paypal)
Wells Fargo (ING?) - One report that ING is counted as DD, one report that it isn't...YMMV

Banks that don't count ING/Paypal/ACH push transfers as direct deposits (confirmed failures):

Please indicate how much money was transferred.

Charter One (no Paypal)
Chase (no paypal, no ING, no Amazon Payments)
DCU (No longer considers HSBC transfers as direct deposit)
MeadowsCU (no ACH push)
Metropolitan National Bank(NY)
PNC Bank (no ETrade , no GMAC)
Presidential Bank
Salem Five (no PayPal)
Sovereign (no HSBC Direct) No DD bonus.
Wachovia (no Paypal)
Wells Fargo (no ING?)
FTUB (no ING, no Ally ACH push)

rated:
Updated July 29, 2005

Banks that count ING/Paypal/ACH push transfers as direct deposits

Bank of America (ING, Paypal, ACH push)
Bank of the West (ING, Paypal, Emigrant)
Bank One (ING, PayPal, ACH push)
Charter One (ACH push, ING)
Chase (ING)
Citibank (ING, Emigrant, Paypal)
Citizens Bank (ING)
Commerce Bank (ING, Paypal) - refers to one in the northeast
Commerce Bank (ING) - refers to the one in Missouri
Compass Bank (ING)
E-Trade Bank (ING, ACH push)
HSBC (ING)
PNC Bank (ACH push, Paypal)
Principal Bank (ING)
Salem Five (ACH push)
SunTrust (ING, PayPal)
USAA (ING)
Wachovia (ING)
Washington Mutual (ING, Paypal)
Wells Fargo (ING???) - One report that ING is counted as DD, one report that it isn't...YMMV

Banks that don't count ING/Paypal/ACH push transfers as direct deposits (confirmed failures)

Charter One (no PayPal)
Presidential Bank
Wells Fargo (no ING???)
Wachovia (no PayPal)

rated:
BofA

rated:
lillazyfats81: Can you confirm if you successfully used CashEdge or ING or both? Thanks!

rated:
Salem Five counted the two small deposits which were made by E-Trade(to verify linked account) as a Direct Deposit
so I bet they'll count any ACH as DD.

rated:
I just noticed Bank One ( student checking account) treats money transferred from INGDirect to bank one as DIRECT DEOSIT.

rated:
lsufanatic said: lillazyfats81: Can you confirm if you successfully used CashEdge or ING or both? Thanks!

Bank Of America CONFIRMED with ING Direct and Paypal.

PS. Thanks for the thread. Please keep it updated. I find it very useful.

rated:
etrade will take ING as direct deposit.

rated:
Wells Fargo does not treat ING Direct xfers as direct deposits

rated:
What is a cash edge transfer.Is it also an online bank?
Thanks

rated:
shalein said: What is a cash edge transfer.Is it also an online bank?
Thanks

CashEdge is an online application used by various banks and credit unions to facilitate transfers between institutions as part of the institution's online banking functionality. I'm not sure which institutions use CashEdge, or something similar, but some (like my CU) allow transfers free of charge, subject to certain daily and monthly limits. For instance, my CU will allow free 3 business day transfers up to $2000 daily (only complication is that the transfer will count against you daily limit each day until it clears, so it is really a limit of $2000/3 days), and up to $25,000 monthly. I know ETrade Bank and VirtualBank use CashEdge or a similar application to allow these transfers as part of their online functionality as well. Bank of America offers it as well, although they charge a service fee on outgoing transfers.

Hope this helps!

rated:
Any experience with Citibank?

rated:
Bank of the West counts Emigrant, ING, and PayPal as a Direct Deposit.

rated:
helloagain said: Any experience with Citibank?

Confirmed: Citibank treats ING as Direct Deposit.

rated:
Compass Bank counts ING as direct deposit. My statements show "Credit for ING Direct Deposit ..."

rated:
Same here. Citi confirmed ING deposit as Direct Deposit as i never keeo $1500 on my Citi Checking.

rated:
Updated on 2/3/05 for information found in other threads.

rated:
Sent money via Paypal to Commerce Bank (The one in the North East area) treated as DD
Sent money via Paypal to Washington Mutual - treated as DD

Will test ING soon

rated:
HSBC labels ING as Direct-Deposit.

Glad to know citi treats it as DD too.

rated:
serious suggestion: never call any bank to confirm if ING/PayPal/ACH Push is counted as direct deposit.

rated:
can someone please confirm if CitiBank count Paypal as a DD

rated:
Citizens Bank counts ING as direct deposit.

rated:
Would someone please confirm if Chase treats INGDirect transfers as direct deposits? Thanks.

rated:
MATTOH said: Would someone please confirm if Chase treats INGDirect transfers as direct deposits? Thanks.
I also want to know this. If somebody has Chase do test it and tell us.

rated:

rated:
lowmazda said: Sent money via Paypal to Commerce Bank (The one in the North East area) treated as DD
Sent money via Paypal to Washington Mutual - treated as DD

Will test ING soon

Sent money via ING to Commerce Bank (The one in the North East area) - treated as DD

rated:
How about pulling and pushing the same amount back using PayPal or one of the banks offering free ACH? Any experience?

rated:
How do you confirm that it gets treated as DD? Do you call and ask them..sorry am lost..I need to set up DD for my citi account and I have emigrantdirect... will that work? or will paypal work..no one has confirmed yet that citi treats Paypal as dd (ING is confirmed)

also is there a minimum limit for direct deposit??

rated:
I've been doing DD from ING to Presidential Bank and never had a problem with them. Not sure how this combination got on the confirmed non-working list.

rated:
scripta said: I've been doing DD from ING to Presidential Bank and never had a problem with them. Not sure how this combination got on the confirmed non-working list.

Your account was never reviewed...

rated:
EugeneV said: Your account was never reviewed...
Lucky me . Thanks for the heads up.

rated:
EugeneV said: scripta said: I've been doing DD from ING to Presidential Bank and never had a problem with them. Not sure how this combination got on the confirmed non-working list.

Exactly. What has been reported by many is that when they had to contact customer service for something unrelated the reps would review the account and note if the source of the funds did not appear to be from an approved source (pension, payroll, etc.) or they did not have a DD setup, at which time they would be required to set up the required DD or have their interest rate cut. The difference here I believe is that the larger banks make the assessment of whether you are complying with DD requirements within their systems, while Presidential seems to only be able to make that assessment through manual review. That's why at many of the larger banks you can get away with using ING or an ACH push from another account as your DD, but you cannot with Presidential. Of course, that also means that not every account is checked and some can get away with having no DD (real or artifical) at all and still retain their rate.

Moral of the story: don't give them any reason to review your account. Don't call customer service for anything, don't put in an address change, don't do anything that might require the eyes of an actual human being.

rated:
lsufanatic said: EugeneV said: scripta said: I've been doing DD from ING to Presidential Bank and never had a problem with them. Not sure how this combination got on the confirmed non-working list.

Exactly. What has been reported by many is that when they had to contact customer service for something unrelated the reps would review the account and note if the source of the funds did not appear to be from an approved source (pension, payroll, etc.) or they did not have a DD setup, at which time they would be required to set up the required DD or have their interest rate cut. The difference here I believe is that the larger banks make the assessment of whether you are complying with DD requirements within their systems, while Presidential seems to only be able to make that assessment through manual review. That's why at many of the larger banks you can get away with using ING or an ACH push from another account as your DD, but you cannot with Presidential. Of course, that also means that not every account is checked and some can get away with having no DD (real or artifical) at all and still retain their rate.

Moral of the story: don't give them any reason to review your account. Don't call customer service for anything, don't put in an address change, don't do anything that might require the eyes of an actual human being.

Easier said than done buddy...we need to get real - move away from presidential if you cant have a dd..

rated:
Citibanks counts paypal deposits as a direct deposit. I've been using it to avoid the fee for some time now.

rated:
Kinda a dumb question here but what difference does it make if it counts it as DD? I've transferred money from paypal to my citibank account numerous times and it takes about 4 days. Does it matter?

rated:
CharterOne is denying me my $25 bonus for Direct Deposit because it came from Paypoo.

When I do a Paypoo transfer to CharterOne, it's labeled as Direct Deposit !! Any ideas?

rated:
Bank one will count paypal at DD. I have using paypal for bank one for several months.

rated:
haner said: Kinda a dumb question here but what difference does it make if it counts it as DD? I've transferred money from paypal to my citibank account numerous times and it takes about 4 days. Does it matter?

Yeah, I'm confused too. I've been using paypal with my WellsFargo checking account for years now without any problems. Either paying for stuff, or recieving payment. I just set up an ING savings account, and have made 3 transfers of money from my checking account into ING. Also, I recieve a weekly direct deposit for my payroll check from work.

So are you guys saying that you are unable to transfer money from accounts like ING into your B&M banks? Sorry, if these are dumb questions, but I want to make sure there won't be any future problems for me since my bank is listed as no DD.

rated:
Sham03 said: haner said: Kinda a dumb question here but what difference does it make if it counts it as DD? I've transferred money from paypal to my citibank account numerous times and it takes about 4 days. Does it matter?

Yeah, I'm confused too. I've been using paypal with my WellsFargo checking account for years now without any problems. Either paying for stuff, or recieving payment. I just set up an ING savings account, and have made 3 transfers of money from my checking account into ING. Also, I recieve a weekly direct deposit for my payroll check from work.

So are you guys saying that you are unable to transfer money from accounts like ING into your B&M banks? Sorry, if these are dumb questions, but I want to make sure there won't be any future problems for me since my bank is listed as no DD.

Guys - Many checking accounts are free with DD - and they have added perks like a free mini ipod (citi) or $200...etc and soo pll wann open more than 1 checking with DD though they get only one paycheck...get it??

Skipping 877 Messages...
rated:
SERVE still works! 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.