• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I want to give dear old dad 5 shares of Playboy as a gift for Father's Day. I know he won't get invited to "The Mansion" and I don't expect playmates to deliver the shareholder's reports to him, but that doesn't matter.

I checked at OneShare and they don't offer Playboy as a stock, so how do I go about purchasing stock for someone else and getting a paper certificate sent?

*****SOLUTION FOUND*****
ShareBuilder will let me buy the shares then for $30.00 charge to change the name and mail a certificate. This is going to be the easiest method

http://noveltyshare.com/stocksatoz.asp
and look for playboy

never bought anything from them, can't tell you how great or bad from experience

Thanks for that site. I see I can buy one share through them which I may do. I was planning on buying one share for every 10 years of my father's age. He is 67 so I was looking at 7 shares. (rounding up)

I found out that ShareBuilder can mail a certificate for $30.00 but I have to see if I can buy the stocks in my name and have the certificate printed in his name.

edited to change OneShare to ShareBuilder. That changes the whole meaning of the post

maybe you can open a DRIP account in his name?

If you really want to spend time and effort to give him a stock certificate at the minimal cost beyond share price, this is how you can do it:
1. Open brokerage account at a deep discount broker that also does not charge for transfers out by DTC.
2. Open a second brokerage account at high commission broker that does not charge a fee for issuing stock certificates.
3. Transfer shares from one broker to another and request stock certificate
4. Once you receive the paper stock certificate, fill out the back part of it and send it to transfer agent with W9 signed by your dad.
All this will take a couple months to do so you may reconsider the whole thing and give your dad some cash.

Cash doesn't have the same feel as the stock would. He enjoyed reading the shareholder information I got from XM and SIRUS and my mother already renewd his subscription to Playboy (I have great parents don't I?)

I was planning on giving him a frame with a certificate I made up saying you have xxx amount of Playboy shares and then putting the certificate in the frame when it comes in.

If you can skip the certificate but still get the annual shareholder info, try sharebuilder.com (there may even be an active $50 bonus deal in this forum, look for it).

You can buy as little as $1 of a stock (fractional share) and make sure to select "paper delivery" of annual reports, etc.

They may even have an option to request stock certificates. Check it out

Thanks I goofed in one of my prior messages and typed one share instead of sharebuilder. I am waiting to hear from Sharebuilder if they can issue a certificate in a different name. I know they charge $30.00 to issue a certificate

MannyL08753 said: [Q]Thanks I goofed in one of my prior messages and typed one share instead of sharebuilder. I am waiting to hear from Sharebuilder if they can issue a certificate in a different name. I know they charge $30.00 to issue a certificate
I know it can be done, but haven't done it myself. My boss bought me 5 shares of DIS for a wedding present and framed the certificate. It is in our name. I don't talk to him anymore because we moved, but I always think of him when I check how Disney is doing (it's a nice certificate).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014