• 1 234526
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
SIS started a thread tracking Highest CL per CC, which prompted me to start this topic for getting credit limit increases WITHOUT a hard pull.

Discover

Limit: 17.5k *

Strategy: CSR via phone every 3 months 'till 12.5k - one 5k bump to 17.5k. * The "Discover Rule" requires a hard pull if current limit is at or above 15k.

Citi Div Platinum

Limit: 20k+

Strategy: CL button + phone every 3 months from 5k to 20k; button exclusively above 20k.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
new here. I'm hoping someone can share their knowledge with me. I've read the thread on CLI but I couldn't find a clear ... (more)

just4dealspam (Aug. 21, 2013 @ 3:56p) |

Keep using the card and pay more than the minimum monthly amount when you're carrying a balance since "paying more than ... (more)

jatan1986 (Aug. 21, 2013 @ 6:25p) |

most issuers will not CLI within 6mo of opening the account.

MDfive21 (Aug. 22, 2013 @ 8:33a) |

Expect a Hard:

Barclay's Business (i.e. Bank Atlantic) - per call on 1/9/09 however soft when done to new account (12/1/09)
Chase - almost always - regardless
Citi - when trying CLI online, if you see a form after hitting the cli button asking for salary, other sources of income and rent/mortgage - it most likely will be hard pull so beware (New website design note - button seems to appear / disappear every 90 days or so after a successful CLI)
Discover - when already at or beyond 15k
FNBO - Always hard through form.
Bank of America - Several reports of hard pulls with online form, on the phone, and for simple reallocation.

No Hard Pull:

Juniper / Barclay's - Call the number on the back of your card and speak to CSR and ask if you qualify for an increase (they did not ask me any income related questions).
Discover (personal) - Discover now has an automated credit limit increase service in their voice response system (number on back of card: 1-800-DISCOVER). The automated system prompts for desired dollar increase in credit limit and annual household income (both of which are keyed in using touchtone phone.) Alternately, a CSR may be able to still take the request. The required wait time between increases is 6 months. (as of June 10, 2010)
US Bank (personal) - Call the number on the back of your card and speak to CSR and ask if you qualify for an increase without hard pull, CSR mentioned every 3 months with usage = at least 20% (they did not ask me any income related questions). Was told by CSR card has to be open for 6 months.
Wells Fargo - Call CSR, Ask for increase without Hard pull. Call back if your CSR says "We have to hard pull/It's a secret".
USAA - Initial check. Can choose to allow inquiry to try for additional review/boost
AMEX - Use online form for no-hard CLI. Be warned of Financial Reviews though if you ask for too much. (usually up to $24,999 without additional info needed)
WalMart - Use online form for no-hard CLI. Every 6 months usually.
Principal - No credit check for pre-approved limit increase. If you want more then you will get a hard.
WAMU - Unable to request CLI. Neither online nor over phone. CLI's done "periodically"
Cap One Kohls
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Why would Citi give you an automatic CLI if you have shown that you don't go above 1k in spending?

That makes no sense.

Storme said: Why would Citi give you an automatic CLI if you have shown that you don't go above 1k in spending?

That makes no sense.

I have never put more than 800 on my AMEX blue, almost always at zero. Got auto increase from 7K to 10.5K

Storme said: Why would Citi give you an automatic CLI if you have shown that you don't go above 1k in spending?

That makes no sense.

This does happen with issuers. I have a card that I use soley for restaurants and entertainment for work in which I receive reimbursement. I don't use over 20% of my CL yet they keep bumping up the limit periodically.

I recently got an AMEX MBNA card and they wanted to give me an initial line of 5000. When the csr asked if i wanted to take advantage of their intro BT offer, i said that "i would in the future because i have a discover card with a 6500 balance. can i get a higher limit with you so i could cover all of my discover card balance with the BT offer?"

Sure enough- i got my initial line changed to 6500 (which is a lot for me, because i have super low income and super high rent).

That makes no sense.

Maybe they would like you to use their card more often then other cards...Maybe they want you to start spending more, carry a balance, etc...It really does not have to make sense...They are just giving you more of a chance to carry a larger balance...

dagr8vik said: I recently got an AMEX MBNA card and they wanted to give me an initial line of 5000. When the csr asked if i wanted to take advantage of their intro BT offer, i said that "i would in the future because i have a discover card with a 6500 balance. can i get a higher limit with you so i could cover all of my discover card balance with the BT offer?"

Sure enough- i got my initial line changed to 6500 (which is a lot for me, because i have super low income and super high rent).
Taking advantage of BT offers is one of the best ways - besides a high income - to get higher CLs. I've noticed that especially true with BofA and Chase. With BofA - I received a pre-approved offer about 3 years ago for a card with "up to a $5K limit". I did a BT for $4K and actually ended up receiving $7.5K. So much for "up to". With Chase - I call into activate and they have some spiel about BT offers. I say that I have a BT or two that I'd like to do but the current CL isn't high enough to cover what I want to transfer. From that point, I've had 2 different things happen. When I got my first Chase card, they immediately doubled my starting CL so that they could accomodate the BT. The 2nd time around, they said my CL was X amount, but that I could transfer up to Y amount. They didn't increase the CL, but anything that I transferred above and beyond X amount would automatically equate to a new, higher CL. If I didn't transfer above that amount, my CL would remain the same.

had Blue cash that was unused for a little over a year with 2K cl.
Did instant CL increase on-line to 3.9K
called in a few days and got another instantincrease to 10K.
also, I've recently applied for 3 AMEX cards (BLUE - 7.5K & Hilton $20K, IN NYC - limit unknown)... don't know why they gave me so much CL, but I got from 2K to almost 40K in a week

Citi seem to be more likely to approve you for higher CL for the type(i.e. brand) of card that you don't have: i.e. if you don't have universal card, you are more likely to get approved for it and with higher CL.
Example, my wife moved all CL to Dividend Card(total about $19K), closed all other cards. Applied for Driver's Edge and For Universal Card - got 3K CL on Driver's and 10K on Universal.

Looks like MBNA is not going to give me anymore, in order to get Schwab card I was given a choice move some CL from existing cards on convert existing account. Total MBNA CL about 33K
Same with case, but I got "stuck" on $26K total CL.

Got one discover card with 10K cl and have been approved for new one with 8K. But from what I understand discover does not let you move CL. Is this correct?

PS I did not read the full OP. Now that I see that you want to bump CL without hard pulls... I understand that you won't find my info very useful.

How do you guys get these huge CLs? I've hads my CC's for about a year, two with $700 limits the other $500. I hate these limits because I can't buy anything without putting like 40% utilization on the dam thing.

It seems the credit line is related to your household annual income. I got a good credit score but some credit card companies were reluctant to increase my credit line because my annual income is not that high.

bank of america, keep on asking online, no hard is pulled. (went over time from 5k to 15k)

AMEX, consolidate lines online, then try for an increase on the new smaller line.

citi, keep hitting the online CLI button. (if it comes up, don't fill in the form. (citi from 750>1500>2250>2550>3250>4500)

magnate said:

citi, keep hitting the online CLI button. (if it comes up, don't fill in the form. (citi from 750>1500>2250>2550>3250>4500)

Could you please elaborate? How often you hit the CLI button? Your sentence makes it sound like you are rapidly hitting the mouse button hehe. And what do you mean by don't fill out the form? So, if some form comes up to fill out, just try the CLI button another time?

I do think annual household income must play a decent factor into credit lines. To this day, I don't have a single CL above $17.5K. All together, though, I have over $100K in total available credit (small compared to some on this board). I think those guys on this board who report $25K, $50K, etc lines must report $150K or more for annual income. Mine is still in the "5 figure" range.

Of course, we don't know the algorithms each CC issuer uses to increase our lines. To me, main factors are: income, utilization, credit store, credit history length. And as mentioned, BTs are probably one of your best weapons. Although, I did have one point where I asked to BT about $5K for a new line, but they only offered a $2.5K line so the BT became null.

main factors to me: credit history. all else is secondary... because...

if you are capped at a card based on your "household income", you can still get a new card with that issuer.. and consoloidate..

FWIW..

I remember SiS saying it's best to keep your AMEX CL's below $20K.. I currently have been using the online increase and stopped when the CL reached $19,750

I just got an increase on an AMEX Blue I don't use from 1K to 2.7K. I then moved 1.7K to my main AMEX, which is now at 12.6K. I requested an increase on the Blue a second time, and it gave me another 1.7K. I haven't tried a third time, because the reallocation utility hasn't caught up yet; it's not showing the second increase yet.

So, it looks like AMEX's system is more willing to give automatic increases to cards that are at their minimum line.

Got Delta AMEX Gold with a 4k limit, got it bumped up automatically to 8k after about 10 months with an offer of an additional increase upto 20k if I used BT.

I have a chase card with a $12k limit, no real need to go higher, but wonder if it could help my credit score, currently at 771. Also have a FirstUSA (now chase) with $8700 limit and discover with $4700. Total current balances of all cards, $247 to be paid off when next expense report check clears. BTW, HHI is in the mid 5 figures.

I have found Chase to be very generous.
My Citi cards have the lowest credit lines, and they have been reluctant to offer me good increases. Possible it is because I have 2 citi cards, and my wife has 1.
I have been calling the companies roughly every 6 months to ask for an increase. I might finance my next car that way if I get a 1.9 for lifetime of loan, or some such deal.
MBNA has given me bumps every month or two without me ever asking.

MBNA: heavy usage = frequent unrequested increases. Can often negotiate mammoth lines by dangling a BT in front of them. Ditto with Chase.
Citi: likes alot usage for increases, but hates alot of new accounts. Best way is to take the hard inq to get lines over 20K and in amounts of 9K per hard inq.
BofA: A no-brainer. Offer up a BT and you'll grow CL's very rapidly. CLI link on website only offers paltry increases. Altough, even with non use, you can get 3-5K every 6-9 months without a hard pull.
AMEX: Use the CLI button on-line. Very, very generous. Also, awesome $ for $ BT CLI offers.

Don't know about Discover, I refuse to do business with them

magnate said: main factors to me: credit history. all else is secondary... because...

if you are capped at a card based on your "household income", you can still get a new card with that issuer.. and consoloidate..

my biggest limit is at citi (10K) and when i applied for a new card, they told me the highest CL i could get is 500 because i have such a high limit for my income with them already

Citi is pretty good in CLI. I have 25k on a single citi card.
I used it to purchase a car (paid in full) and when the statement came, I paid off everything.
Great points earned there.

adiganifatwallet said: Citi is pretty good in CLI. I have 25k on a single citi card.
I used it to purchase a car (paid in full) and when the statement came, I paid off everything.
Great points earned there.

i'd venture to guess you over paid for the car.

summitsix said: , but hates alot of new accounts. Best way is to take the hard inq to get lines over 20K and in amounts of 9K per hard inq.
BofA: A no-brainer. Offer up a BT and you'll grow CL's very rapidly. CLI link on website only offers paltry increases. Altough, even with non use, you can get 3-5K every 6-9 months without a hard pull.

you mean accept a BT offer and keep it out?

hedonic said: It seems the credit line is related to your household annual income. I got a good credit score but some credit card companies were reluctant to increase my credit line because my annual income is not that high.I thought this was the case also but I have a household income in the low 6 figures and I only got a 6.8k limit from Citi. There must be some formula beyond MHI but I have yet to figure it out.

I have several cards with $20k credit limits. The key is that some credit issuers automatically grant you a credit line equal to your current highest limit.

What I did:
Applied for ATT Universal card, got approved at about $5k.
Opened second ATT card (5% back offer), started around $7k.

I then used the online "credit limit request" about every 3 months, which eventually got me to about $9k and $10k.

I then combined the credit limits, and so I had once card with a limit about $19k.

Then I started applying for other cards. Each card *matched* my highest credit limit. I got an AMEX, then a Bank One card, then an MBNA card, all stared at around $20k.

So this seems, to me, a good way to get very high CLs very quickly.

hedonic said: It seems the credit line is related to your household annual income. I got a good credit score but some credit card companies were reluctant to increase my credit line because my annual income is not that high.

I'm in the same situation. I recently applied for the Citi Rewards card and they gave me $500 CL (LOL). They said it's because I already have another cc with them (although I hadn't opened it with Citi originally, but thru a bank that they acquired since), with a much higher CL - $15k

That makes no sense.

Actually I hardly ever utilize close to 100% of my Citi CL and they've just increased it.

Just was able to increase my CL with my Circuit City CC ( now owmed by Chase I believe ). I used their Automated Voice Response #. I never use this card. Just received an $2K increase.

When you log in to their online acct service page, go to the FAQ, click on the Credit Line Info and it will give you the # to call. Depending on what CCity card you have, they list 2 different #'s to call. I called and once I entered my ss#, I was given the option to increase my CL. Once I did, I received an CL increase within seconds. Last time I did this was over 6 months ago. I did NOT receive a hard pull at that time.

One thing to mention, on the pre-recording they DO state they may access your credit....Once again, my request was an automated response...I will check mycreditkeeper and credit expert to see if I did get a hard Pull...More than likely not, due to the automated response and my previous experience.

SUB said: I'm in the same situation. I recently applied for the Citi Rewards card and they gave me $500 CL (LOL). They said it's because I already have another cc with them (although I hadn't opened it with Citi originally, but thru a bank that they acquired since), with a much higher CL - $15kSame happened to me, except then I applied for a third card and they mysteriously gave me $2000, so then I merged it with the $500 card for now and will eventually merge that with the first card and apply for some more.

sinik said: SUB said: I'm in the same situation. I recently applied for the Citi Rewards card and they gave me $500 CL (LOL). They said it's because I already have another cc with them (although I hadn't opened it with Citi originally, but thru a bank that they acquired since), with a much higher CL - $15kSame happened to me, except then I applied for a third card and they mysteriously gave me $2000, so then I merged it with the $500 card for now and will eventually merge that with the first card and apply for some more.

A year ago, I was sent two Citi Dividend Platinum Cards, only one of which I activated. I checked my credit report and both were reported as active. After calling Citi, they merged the two ($1300 and $1300) into the card I was using for $2600. Check your credit report for strange accounts you didn't know you had. Not "really" increasing your CL, but if you have credit you didn't know about, make it useful.

Also, I just merged these two cards yesterday. When should I start asking for CL increases? In 3 - 6 months?

clapthatfool said: Also, I just merged these two cards yesterday. When should I start asking for CL increases? In 3 - 6 months?3 months since you've had the accounts open longer than 6 months already.

FYI, I've recently been denied CLI on two accounts (Chase, Bank One). In both cases the reasons were that my debt to income ratio was too high and that I had too many inquiries. This is because over the last year I've gotten interested in 0% cards and I've taken on a number of new CCs and utilized a high percentage of the lines.

Well, after being denied in these cases, I sent a packet of information containing my w-2 (HH income $235k), bank statements, and investment accounts to each cc company. This information was not solicited, and at no time did a CSR tell me that my request would be reconsidered if I provided additional information.

In both cases, credit line increases were approved soon after to the requested levels ($20k for Chase, $10k Bank One).

My credit scores are currently 660/645/647 - so not that great. But based on this experience, I don't know that I'm going to be sweating my credit scores. My hypothesis: As long as you have income and assets, and can verify that you do, cc companies will give you the CLI increases that you want.

My next strategy is to apply for a new card, potentially get rejected, and then if I do, ask for reconsideration based on my income verification. It should be interesting to find out what happens.

FWIW In advance, I expect most posters to this thread are wise enough so this won't this happen to them and many are using cli to great benefit.

This is partial quote from cnn/money today (see third paragraph):

Credit lines can tighten, too
More and more lenders will reel in your credit line if they see something on your credit record that makes them nervous. Pay late on your card bill or with another creditor, bounce a check or take on a big loan and don't be surprised if your credit card's roomy credit line gets a lot less roomy in a hurry.

"Larger, more sophisticated issuers are very, very aggressively marketing credit lines both upwards and downwards," Raza says.

Even card customers that pay off their card balances each month may want to think twice about accepting every credit line increase that comes their way. The reason?

Lenders view all open credit lines as potential debt. Too much unused credit may affect your ability to qualify for a home or a car loan.

"Lenders are cash-flow bankers," says Paul Richard, executive director of the Institute of Consumer Financial Education in San Diego. "And no lender is going to make you a deal when you have all that credit available and not consider what you might do with it."

So folks with six or more credit cards and no debt may want to trim back their credit lines before applying for a home or car loan. Cutting back your credit lines won't boost your credit score, but it may make a lender feel more comfortable about approving you for the big secured loan that you really want." good luck
( commentators below think this last paragraph is poor advice)

bamadad said: "Cutting back your credit lines won't boost your credit score, but it may make a lender feel more comfortable about approving you for the big secured loan that you really want."
Instead of "won't boost" the author should have said "will most likely drop." I wonder if he was euphemizing or just didn't do his homework.

cnn/money wrote: Lenders view all open credit lines as potential debt. Too much unused credit may affect your ability to qualify for a home or a car loan.

Morons

cnn/money wrote: So folks with six or more credit cards and no debt may want to trim back their credit lines before applying for a home or car loan. Cutting back your credit lines won't boost your credit score, but it may make a lender feel more comfortable about approving you for the big secured loan that you really want."

I hope no one does this. While you can always ask lenders to decrease your CLs and re-apply, getting them restored may not be so easy. Anyway, I would just go look for a home or car loan elsewhere.

surprise, surprise. Horrible advice from cnn/money, what a concept.

magnate said: bank of america, keep on asking online, no hard is pulled. (went over time from 5k to 15k)

AMEX, consolidate lines online, then try for an increase on the new smaller line.

This has worked well for me every 3 months or so.

For the most part, my strategy has been to actively use my favorite rewards cards, pay the balances off promptly and wait to be offered the inevitable credit increases. It's never taken long to receive such offers although I agree with the previous post regarding Discover's $15k ceiling. This strategy has rewarded me handsomely and resulted in very little in the area of hard inquiries on my CR.

-z

dlr3 said: SIS started a thread some time ago re: Highest CL per CC - what I would like to do with this thread is sort of spin-off from that topic to have an easy reference for strategies used to get CLI on various cards – WITHOUT a hard pull. Why is this useful? Raised limits = lower utilization = higher FICO.

If we can share info on how some of our more significant increases have been obtained and what we may have been told during the process by CSR or “R” then maybe we can avoid the CLI process headaches.

Discover

Initial limit : 5k
Final limit : 17.5k
Strategy : periodically calling - every 3 months at first - then every 6 until I got to 12,500… Then one big bump from 12,500 to 17,500 – been trying to get a bump from 17.5k to 20k for the past 6 months now… told by CSR that anything more than 15k they will want a hard pull – regardless. If that’s true, then I am stuck forever at 17.5k with Discover

Citi Div Platinum

Initial CL : 6.8k
Final CL : 6.8k
Strategy : Still in first 6 months – waiting to see if I get auto CL button on the Citi Cards website at month 6 or just the good ol’ auto CL with no input from me at all that I hear Citi is generous about doing. Have kept my utilization around 10%. Will update at month 6.

CITI had the auto increase (Every 6 month) button for my account but after I hit 17k in limit, it is gone now (almost 1 yr) My other CLs with CITI add upto another 10k. So there is a hard limit

Skipping 979 Messages...
most issuers will not CLI within 6mo of opening the account.  

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014