• 12 3 4526
  • Page
  • Text Only
on the AMEX website, when i request for a CLI, a form comes up to fill out...

does this form mean that there will be a hard pull?, or is it safe to fill out?

jmagic said: on the AMEX website, when i request for a CLI, a form comes up to fill out...

Form = hard pull

No form (preapproved CLI) = no pull

jmagic said:

Form = hard pull

The two times I have requested a CL increase on the AMEX website it specifically stated there was no hard pull of my CR.

so you filled out the form, clicked continue, and they said there was no hard pull?

did you get an instant response?

vwbugman69 said: jmagic said:

Form = hard pull

The two times I have requested a CL increase on the AMEX website it specifically stated there was no hard pull of my CR.

manuel said: I agree completely with Razorshock - I probably made something like 4K(half taxable, half nontaxable) last year from 0% related floats. It don't pay like a dayjob but it takes a lot less time.

And the challenge of maxxing out other people's money is kinda fun.

So are you guys closing these cards when you're "done" with them or what? Can anyone confirm that closing a CC is usually a bad idea?

Storme said: nphinit said: I just got approved for a Citi Dividend Platinum, but with a BT-useless CL of $2.3k.

I was unaware you are supposed to wait 6 months for a CLI, so I'm going to call them up and see if they'll budge.

Which of these explanations will likely work better with the CSR/whomever? (They are both true!)

1.) I need my CL increased to ~$15k to pay for tuition with my card

2.) I need my CL increased to ~$15k to do a few large BTs

I'm guessing 1.) but I thought I'd ask anyway. If they say no should I threaten to cancel the card? My backup option is a Chase Platinum I just applied for.

My income is in the $55k-$65k range so in theory I should be able to get that sort of credit, right?

lol, no in theory your CL should be 5500-6500.

As soon as you tell the CSR your income, Citi will automatically decline you for that CL based on that income w/o doing any inquiries.

Call and find out.

Tis (mostly: they inquired on me I'm pretty sure) true. Our HI is ~$70k, got that card with a $7600 CLI, I immediatley asked for a $20k CLI, 3 days later, courteously denied.

But what I don't exactly get is that I was going to BT the ~$17k balance I already had with MBNA. You'd think that would be a helpful factor...

acfu said: So are you guys closing these cards when you're "done" with them or what? Can anyone confirm that closing a CC is usually a bad idea?I can confirm. Age of accounts is a large factor in determining your FICO score - you will not really help or hurt your score in such a small window. Opening and closing a card within the 12 months BT time period is not really going to ding your score too much - the ding only comes from the application - your score will go back up in the next 6 months to pre-application level, so it's a wash. There's no real reason to close it though - more BT offers come around all the time that you may be able to use again on that card, you can use the excess CL to boost utilization or reallocate from other card with that issuer... I am not one who subscribes to the "having too much credit available" as a negative obviously.

How often is it safe to hit the CLI button on AMEX's site? I just got a small bump (hoping for alot more), but I wanted to know the next time I should try again.

I get a 2K increase with no hard pulls every 2 months or so. AMEX Blue @12K, Citi Platinum @ 12K, and MBNA AAA @ 11.5K. I have $0 balance on all of them, and have had them all for about 5 years.

What is the best way to get a high CL on a new card for 0% BT?? should i keep increasing my limits? close one of the cards? I really only use the MBNA for the 5% discount on gas. I'm planning on getting a AMEX that gives 5% back on Home Depot purchases.

I really dont want to do anything until after mid july though because i'm closing on a house the 8th.

hoffjm00 said: How often is it safe to hit the CLI button on AMEX's site? I just got a small bump (hoping for alot more), but I wanted to know the next time I should try again.

a few months ago i actually did it twice in one day for 2K increase both times.

I opened a Citibank CC about 5 months ago (but less than 6). I just hit the CL increase button online, and it worked. Starting CL was $3,700. It was bumped another $500 to $4,200. It's not a great bump but not bad with just a mouse click. Also, I like how it asks you if you accept this CL increase amount before committing the change.

Also, a few months ago, I opened up an account with Providian. The APR is a friggin high 18%, but I opened it for the 12 month 0% BT offer. My initial CL was $12K. They just bumped it up to $17K within the past couple of weeks for no reason. They won't get a cent of interest from me. I will just make sure I pay off the balance by the end of the 0% term.

I think these evil companies try to get you to use those "checks" they send you. I have been increasingly getting bombarded by them in the mail for the past few months. I'm no sucker.. but there must be suckers out there. That's why they keep sending them.

Edit: spellling

GeorgyMcFly said:

I think these evil companies try to get you to use those "checks" they send you. I have been increasingly getting bombarded by them in the mail for the past few months. I'm no sucker.. but there must be suckers out there. That's why they keep sending them.

Edit: spellling

I've had 2 Citi cards for a couple months now and I just got my first batch of cash advance checks. They give you very little info on them in the package, there's not a recognizable account number but if you look closely they briefly mention that these count as a cash advance. I bet they get quite a few suckers running them up though.

I recently applied for a CLI with citi and used total annual household income. Citi sent me a letter requesting proof of income(paystubs). So I was going to send in multiple paystubs(for one other person who lives in my household). Does anyone see any potential issues with my sending in someone elses paystubs?

bluegenie: The definition of "household" citibank is probably thinking of only includes spouses and minor children (since they are pretty much the only person's whose income can be legally impounded to pay off your debts, even you incur the debt without their consent), so if you are including your spouse's or minor child's paycheck, no problem, otherwise they are likely to ask for the other person in your "household" to co-sign.

bluegenie said: Does anyone see any potential issues with my sending in someone elses paystubs?

It would be a potential issue if you do so without asking that someones permission.

If you're concerned about your housemate's privacy you have the right to decline their request and they have the right to refuse to increase.

Well, just got my first AMEX a few nights ago, with a $1k CL. I did an increase request online, and was approved for $2k right away, the next click was to fill out the form, which I did, and I was approved for $10K today. Kinda weird how they went from an initial $1k to $10k in 2 days, but I'll take it. 0% for 15 months and 1% back.

PiHKAL said: If you are making that much money then why are you credit scores so bad?

It's pretty easy. Our HH income is ~240k, but while my wife was in law school (prior to meeting me) she lived off her credit cards and ran-up huge debts. When I met her I had her file bankruptcy as her credit score was already terrible. A couple years later and her score is around 650, which is much better than it was -- but still not good.

Shouldn't that affect your wife's CS, not yours?

For everyone who is using MBNA cards, which specific cards are you guys using, CashBack, Worldpoints, etc.?

Googler said: Shouldn't that affect your wife's CS, not yours?"... for richer or poorer..."

After watching this thread awhile I figured I'd try doing the online CLI request also. Worked fine for my Citi Platinum Select -- immediate CLI, no pull. But when I tried the same thing with my AT&T Universal Cash Rewards card, they pulled my report (from Equifax) even though they never showed a form on the screen. AARGH, I didn't need that!

workingonit said: But when I tried the same thing with my AT&T Universal Cash Rewards card, they pulled my report (from Equifax) even though they never showed a form on the screen. AARGH, I didn't need that!Since there was no form, the inquiry was likely a soft [account review] - are you absolutely sure it was a hard?

i love AMEX for their easy to use CLI button. simple as heck. pre-approved=soft. need form? no thanks, i will try again in 2 months. KISS

sugray38 said: i love AMEX for their easy to use CLI button. simple as heck. pre-approved=soft. need form? no thanks, i will try again in 2 months. KISS

I love AMEX too. For the past 3 months in a row I've been getting increases just by hitting the CLI button.
From my experience it is best to hit the button about 2 days after your statement closes.

I've had my Blue Cash for exactly one year and my increases have gone like this...
2,000 -> 3,600 -> 6,200 -> 11,200 -> 13,600 -> 15,400

I'm still shooting for that magical 25,000 mark

SilverB18C1 said: sugray38 said: i love AMEX for their easy to use CLI button. simple as heck. pre-approved=soft. need form? no thanks, i will try again in 2 months. KISS

I love AMEX too. For the past 3 months in a row I've been getting increases just by hitting the CLI button.
From my experience it is best to hit the button about 2 days after your statement closes.

I've had my Blue Cash for exactly one year and my increases have gone like this...

Wow, looks like I'll need to apply for the AMEX Blue for students. I don't plan to use it as my primary card though... maybe only once a month. Would it still be this easy to get CL increases?

jrtang said: SilverB18C1 said: sugray38 said: i love AMEX for their easy to use CLI button. simple as heck. pre-approved=soft. need form? no thanks, i will try again in 2 months. KISS

Wow, looks like I'll need to apply for the AMEX Blue for students. I don't plan to use it as my primary card though... maybe only once a month. Would it still be this easy to get CL increases?

My jump from 6,200 -> 11,200 was with about 6,500 in spending for that month. Other than that I averaged 1,000-2,000 in spending.

Also note that AMEX will also often offer you a CL increase in conjunction with a balance transfer. I recently bumped my CL up to 19,900 (it's been suggested that 20k and over triggers an account review for which they want to see income documentation) through a no-fee BT deal. The APR was 3.99%, so I paid off the BT amount the day after it posted and it will only cost me 1 days worth of interest. For less than a dollar, it was worth the increase for me.

dlr3 said: workingonit said: But when I tried the same thing with my AT&T Universal Cash Rewards card, they pulled my report (from Equifax) even though they never showed a form on the screen. AARGH, I didn't need that!Since there was no form, the inquiry was likely a soft [account review] - are you absolutely sure it was a hard?

Well, no. I guess I'm not really clear on the difference between a hard and soft pull. I saw that they'd rejected my request based on information from Equifax, which sounded like they'd pulled my credit report. How can I tell whether it was a hard or soft pull?

workingonit said: I guess I'm not really clear on the difference between a hard and soft pull...How can I tell whether it was a hard or soft pull?The last couple of pages on your EQ report will have a section that says, "Inquiries that display to companies" and another that says, "Inquiries that do not display to companies" - if the pull is listed in the "Inquiries that display to companies" section then it was a hard. Some services that allow you to view your report online don't show a separate soft/hard section, so you'll want to get a hard copy from EQ to be sure.

dealhunter999 said: Here is what I think about CLI based ...

1> Never do online request (Reason explained below)
2> Call and ask for it. Here 2 things happens to you, they either make an enquiry to credit report and grant you credit increase or they simply grant you the CLI w/o any inquiry to credit history.

If available, Always ask for CLI w/o inquiry to credit history

Note every inquiry on your credit report lowers the score.For some ppl FICO score drops by 1-2 points and for some 30-40 points (no kidding). There are many factors that decide your FICO but is the one used to grant you the credit.So use CLI request wisely.
CLI w/o inquiry probably will not give you higher credit line but every 3-6 mths you can ask for CLI.
Note that most CC companies increase CLI automatically every six mths.
I have CITI card and they automatically increase the credit line. I have also noticed they inquire my credit report regularly and this inquiries stys in report for 2 years.
If you are in process of buying house/car make sure there are not too many inquires on your report. This will lower the FICO score and result in higher interest rates!

why couldn't we do online CLI? i didn't get hard inquiry when i did it last time.
what's the advantage of using call instead of online clicking?

HKnight said: Also note that AMEX will also often offer you a CL increase in conjunction with a balance transfer. I recently bumped my CL up to 19,900 (it's been suggested that 20k and over triggers an account review for which they want to see income documentation) through a no-fee BT deal. The APR was 3.99%, so I paid off the BT amount the day after it posted and it will only cost me 1 days worth of interest. For less than a dollar, it was worth the increase for me.

AMEX financial reviews are only a problem with their charge products.

kennethliaoke said: what's the advantage of using call instead of online clicking?Calling allows you to tap into what the CSR sees on their screen - you may be able to get higher limits by asking for a limit up to "the max allowed without requiring a hard pull" - or "max with only in-house consideration" - applying online just gives you a number when you click for instant approval - if you wanted more, you would have to refuse the instant CLI and fill out the form... that being said, the instant online CLI may be lower than what you're preapproved to receive, but you'd never know... in short, you're taking the chance that you may not be getting as much of a CLI had you called. IMHO, there's no additional benefit to calling.

dlr3 said: kennethliaoke said: what's the advantage of using call instead of online clicking?Calling allows you to tap into what the CSR sees on their screen - you may be able to get higher limits by asking for a limit up to "the max allowed without requiring a hard pull" - or "max with only in-house consideration" - applying online just gives you a number when you click for instant approval - if you wanted more, you would have to refuse the instant CLI and fill out the form... that being said, the instant online CLI may be lower than what you're preapproved to receive, but you'd never know... in short, you're taking the chance that you may not be getting as much of a CLI had you called. IMHO, there's no additional benefit to calling.

"The max alloweed without requiring a hard pull" - I think I'll ask for that this month. You think Chase would give it to me? I assume they'll still ask for my income and occupation.

"max with only in-house consideration" - what does this mean?

"The max alloweed without requiring a hard pull" - I think I'll ask for that this month. You think Chase would give it to me? I assume they'll still ask for my income and occupation.

"max with only in-house consideration" - what does this mean?

The two are synonomous. I think the former is much clearer as to one's intent than the latter.

Be careful when applying for a CLI with chase.

I applied for a $20,000 limit on my chase platinum(from 5k) which was approved. Along with my approval letter was another letter stating "During our review of your request we identified another account(s) in your name that has been inactive for several months. While approving your credit limit increase request, please be aware that we have also closed your inactive account(s)."

The card closed was the Sony card we all applied for at the end of 2004 to get the $100 credit; maybe they're targetting that specific card.

SilverB18C1 said: sugray38 said: i love AMEX for their easy to use CLI button. simple as heck. pre-approved=soft. need form? no thanks, i will try again in 2 months. KISS

I agree with the timing. I just got a huge shoot up yesterday (two days after close). I've been using the AMEX as my everyday card (because they are teh BEST with disputes), so maybe the extra spending triggered it.

Just a reminder that paying off large BTs can do a lot of good. Citi increased me from $14,500 to $17,200 after paying off an $11,000 BT.

MBNA has taken me to $10,200 from $5000 just from paying off large bill pay payments.

jlgrandam said: HKnight said: Also note that AMEX will also often offer you a CL increase in conjunction with a balance transfer. I recently bumped my CL up to 19,900 (it's been suggested that 20k and over triggers an account review for which they want to see income documentation) through a no-fee BT deal. The APR was 3.99%, so I paid off the BT amount the day after it posted and it will only cost me 1 days worth of interest. For less than a dollar, it was worth the increase for me.

AMEX financial reviews are only a problem with their charge products.

Well I have a 35K credit line on Blue and I'm a Platinum holder so if they're going to do a F/R then I'd be a perfect candidate. If they request documentation so be it, I'll give them the info and move on. It's not something I'm going to worry about.

They just increased me to $25,400. It was automatic, I didn't use the CLI button.

dlr3 said: kennethliaoke said: what's the advantage of using call instead of online clicking?Calling allows you to tap into what the CSR sees on their screen - you may be able to get higher limits by asking for a limit up to "the max allowed without requiring a hard pull" - or "max with only in-house consideration" - applying online just gives you a number when you click for instant approval - if you wanted more, you would have to refuse the instant CLI and fill out the form... that being said, the instant online CLI may be lower than what you're preapproved to receive, but you'd never know... in short, you're taking the chance that you may not be getting as much of a CLI had you called. IMHO, there's no additional benefit to calling.

I had a benefit of calling. I had a CL of $5K and asked the CSR on high I could get, and she said I could automatically get $9K (which I assume is what I'd get if I clicked through the internet). However, I asked to speak with a credit specialist to request a higher limit. I got transfered, asked for an increase to $15k, and got it immediately. And when i mean immediately, I could go online after my 2 min. call and see my credit line was increased to $15k.

Googler said: For everyone who is using MBNA cards, which specific cards are you guys using, CashBack, Worldpoints, etc.?

I'm using Worldpoints, and have had an account for a year and a half. I applied right after I turned 18, was approved for a measely $500, and am now up to $2500 by automatic increases every few months for anywhere from 200-1000 at a time. However, when I click "Request Increase" online it brings up the form and says I give MBNA the right to pull a credit report. Wish I could just get an automatic increase, because I have paid it off in full every month since owning it, and do not want to continue the high utilization.

On an off-topic note, I applied for a Chase 0% for 12-month card since I just got hired by the bank. If i want to convert this to a Chase Rewards instead, do you think they'll let me, even though I've had the account open for less than a month?

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 12 3 4526
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014