• 121 22 23242526
  • Page
  • Text Only
Did a CLI request on my (Charles Schwab) FIA Visa card in April through the website. A few days later, request was granted with no hard pull (requested +$5k). I tried to do the same again yesterday (+$10k), but instead got a phone call stating that it would require a hard pull so I cancelled the request.

are people sure that Bank of America and FIA are only doing a soft pull when you apply via their website? The wording seems ambiguous since it says they will pull a credit report.

Just did a FIA (Schwab) visa CLI increase (5k increase from 10k for 15k total) through the website on monday.. asked to call a number and just checked today CLI was posted. No hard pull.

Did a CLI on Schwab as well but got hit with a hard pull (exp). Got the message to call but didn't. Inquiry was listed under BankAmerica Corp. It may have been triggered because of my thin credit history (AAoA <2 years) and low HHI (<40,000). CLI was from 2k to 4k.

Hello. Any recent data points for online CLI request with FIA(Schwab)? Last data points are from almost two months ago. I think the wording is different now from the last time I did CLI online.

"By clicking the "Request Credit Line Increase" button, you authorize us to obtain a copy of your credit report and review your credit and employment histories and any other information that allows us to process your request, service your account and manage our relationship with you."

Don't know if this means soft or hard inquiry? Last few replies have been conflicting.

i did a CLI over the phone with Citi. They said there are no hard pulls unless authroized by the card owner. Got around 2k increase =D

alittlesquall said:   Hello. Any recent data points for online CLI request with FIA(Schwab)? Last data points are from almost two months ago. I think the wording is different now from the last time I did CLI online.

"By clicking the "Request Credit Line Increase" button, you authorize us to obtain a copy of your credit report and review your credit and employment histories and any other information that allows us to process your request, service your account and manage our relationship with you."

Don't know if this means soft or hard inquiry? Last few replies have been conflicting.

I just called FIA and they said it would be a soft pull at first,Once transferred to the credit line dept the lady also said that anytime you ask for credit its a hard pull for everything, which is factually untrue. I ended up not doing it. After reading some of these I think ill call back and do it.

homeguard said:   alittlesquall said:   Hello. Any recent data points for online CLI request with FIA(Schwab)? Last data points are from almost two months ago. I think the wording is different now from the last time I did CLI online.

I just called FIA and they said it would be a soft pull at first,Once transferred to the credit line dept the lady also said that anytime you ask for credit its a hard pull for everything, which is factually untrue. I ended up not doing it. After reading some of these I think ill call back and do it.

Thanks for the info. Let us know if you are successful with the CLI and whether it was hard or soft pull.

Juniper/Barclays -

Have had some good BT offers from them lately and hit one up for about 30% of my credit line for 0% fee. One week later, received the same offer in the mail, except if I used the top blue check in the back, they would automatically increase my credit by $4600 (60% increase).

Hesitant since I just did a BT with them, I deposited the check in my account. Within 2 days, the check hit credit card company, credit line increased. Easy! Took cash from account and paid off balance and credit line remains.

Hope this helps someone, I was happy with it!

Got CLI for BOA card, but not my discover (which is only at $2800!) and Citi. Grr, at least one was a help. Requested got $5k more.

Get a hard pull for that CLI on the BOA card?

Datapoint on HSBC, tried online:

"We are not accepting Credit Line Increase requests. We apologize for any inconvenience."

metzgersdog26 said:   Get a hard pull for that CLI on the BOA card?

I don't think so, but I will find out for sure if in the next couple days citi identity monitor doesn't send me an e-mail. Either way, it was needed as I had reached my credit limit.

Just called discover, requested CLI from $3k to $10k, which would still make it the lowest CL of my four credit cards. They wanted to do a hard pull, I told them to forget it.

I have 3 cards that have lower proportional limits (3k-10k) compared to my other cards (15k-30k) all 3 will require hard pulls.

Right now I am at about 50% utilization on all my cards (mostly 0% BTs)

Additionally there are a couple cards I am targeting to apply for when my utilization goes down next spring.

So right now I am holding off on CLI and apps until the spring and am planning a CLI/App-o-rama for all the products at the same time.

Is this a sound approach or would I be better securing the CLIs before my utilization goes down in the spring? My hesitation is requesting CLIs w/ hard pulls at such a high utilization and risk getting denied altogether.

Does anyone know on the Citi webpage's "Request CLI" option - if select this and then get sent to a screen requesting only current income, occupation and employer - is this the CLI that does not result in a hard pull?

I filled it out and was told I'd have a decision in 30 minutes. No where did it ask for or state they would hard pull my credit. I'm assuming this would be a soft pull ... but can't seem to find the answer (at least recently).

brandon032586 said:   metzgersdog26 said:   Get a hard pull for that CLI on the BOA card?

I don't think so, but I will find out for sure if in the next couple days citi identity monitor doesn't send me an e-mail. Either way, it was needed as I had reached my credit limit.

How did you obtain the CLI?

rmf1981 said:   Does anyone know on the Citi webpage's "Request CLI" option - if select this and then get sent to a screen requesting only current income, occupation and employer - is this the CLI that does not result in a hard pull?

I filled it out and was told I'd have a decision in 30 minutes. No where did it ask for or state they would hard pull my credit. I'm assuming this would be a soft pull ... but can't seem to find the answer (at least recently).

I've been keeping my eye on that page. Previously, it had a * at the bottom saying that Citi may pull credit reports if you request a CLI through that form.

Now, that footnote has disappeared but I'm still reluctant to submit a request because they usually do a hard pull if they ask for that sort of info.

Did you get the increase?

I tried on all three of my cards, one which has $15K limit (Professional), one with $2900 limit (thank you), one with $2000 limit (thank you preferred)... Thank you was moved from $2900 to $5000 instantly, other 2 were subject to review and consequently rejected for further increases due to too high of limits on other accounts. So far no hard pull indicated on CK, but we'll see in a week.

jackstone said:   I tried on all three of my cards, one which has $15K limit (Professional), one with $2900 limit (thank you), one with $2000 limit (thank you preferred)... Thank you was moved from $2900 to $5000 instantly, other 2 were subject to review and consequently rejected for further increases due to too high of limits on other accounts. So far no hard pull indicated on CK, but we'll see in a week.
CK is only looking at TransUnion, IIRC. So, there may be a hard on Experian or Equifax and CK would know nothing about it.

d1v1n3g0d said:   rmf1981 said:   Does anyone know on the Citi webpage's "Request CLI" option - if select this and then get sent to a screen requesting only current income, occupation and employer - is this the CLI that does not result in a hard pull?

I've been keeping my eye on that page. Previously, it had a * at the bottom saying that Citi may pull credit reports if you request a CLI through that form.

Now, that footnote has disappeared but I'm still reluctant to submit a request because they usually do a hard pull if they ask for that sort of info.

Did you get the increase?

Yes, a Hard pull was done. I cant remember which bureau. Never got a heads up that that would happen when I applied which I think is shady. . I did get the CLI, but it wasn't worth it for a hard pull IMHO. I'll try to dispute it since wasn't told it would be pulled ... See how that goes ...

rmf1981 said:   Yes, a Hard pull was done. I cant remember which bureau. Never got a heads up that that would happen when I applied which I think is shady. . I did get the CLI, but it wasn't worth it for a hard pull IMHO. I'll try to dispute it since wasn't told it would be pulled ... See how that goes ...

Yikes. Thanks for the heads-up.

About Bank of America online CLI:
when I click and try to increase 2500->5500 it gives me a number to call. When I called and asked if this will be hard inquiry if I ask for increase I was answered a 100% yes.
Can anyone clarify please?

I have with reasonable income and 25k in BofA accounts. Should I just ask for less increase and then it would do it instantly? How much should I ask? 2500->3000?

neophyte said:   Datapoint on HSBC, tried online:

"We are not accepting Credit Line Increase requests. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Hmm, this may have changed for some HSBC card holders. I used to see this message too but for the first time in over a year, I finally have a CLI button on my 2% Orchard card. I got a weak increase of $400 but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye. CB and MyFico users are reporting this CLI is a soft pull although YMMV.

Since the 2% FIA card is going away soon, I needed a CLI to make HSBC/Orchard more useful.

kintro said:   neophyte said:   Datapoint on HSBC, tried online:

Hmm, this may have changed for some HSBC card holders. I used to see this message too but for the first time in over a year, I finally have a CLI button on my 2% Orchard card. I got a weak increase of $400 but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye. CB and MyFico users are reporting this CLI is a soft pull although YMMV.

Since the 2% FIA card is going away soon, I needed a CLI to make HSBC/Orchard more useful.

I just checked my HSBC GM Card. Was told that I could request an increase, but a credit pull would be done. I backed out.

MADWAD said:   kintro said:   neophyte said:   Datapoint on HSBC, tried online:

I just checked my HSBC GM Card. Was told that I could request an increase, but a credit pull would be done. I backed out.

I just tried mine and agreed to a credit pull. I got "Thank you. We would be glad to handle your request by phone. Please call Customer Care using the number on the back of your card." Wasted inquiry!

Follow-up: I did call later in the day. They did a credit pull then (hopefully, not a 2nd one) and I was denied. So, IMO, if you try it online and are told to call, you might want to stop there and not bother.

Discover now allows online credit limit increase requests. Tried yesterday to bump from $4k to $5k and was approved. Though the message was a little strange as it said approved, but the cash credit line increase was only approved for $500 (technically I only requested CLI). Was able to "accept the CLI that wasn't as big as requested" or have them take a look at my whole credit profile (I assumed this was a hard pull). So I went with the "not full increase" and got my $1k bump.

discoverquickreply said:   Discover now allows online credit limit increase requests. Tried yesterday to bump from $4k to $5k and was approved. Though the message was a little strange as it said approved, but the cash credit line increase was only approved for $500 (technically I only requested CLI). Was able to "accept the CLI that wasn't as big as requested" or have them take a look at my whole credit profile (I assumed this was a hard pull). So I went with the "not full increase" and got my $1k bump.
I just did a CLI request on discover online, and got a similar confusing approval confirmation. I requested for a $1,500 CLI, and the following screen stated, "congratulations, you have been approved for an increase. Unfortunately you were not approved for the full amount. You have the option to accept the $1,500 increase, or submit another request for further review." This is so confusing, since I only requested for a $1,500 increase, and it appears they've given it to me, only they state I was unfortunately not approved for the full amount??

sorry duplicate post.

I don't know if this is news or not, but the AMEX CLI link now appears to be back.

BMRisko said:   I don't know if this is news or not, but the AMEX CLI link now appears to be back.

where? i dont see it in any of the menus.

Under "Profile & Preferences", then "See More Options", then "Account Management", then "Manage Credit Limit"

Looks like hard pull though.

ColbyS said:   Under "Profile & Preferences", then "See More Options", then "Account Management", then "Manage Credit Limit"

Not sure about right now. But I did this few months (3-4) ago and was not a hard pull. I was told online is not a hard pull and I can do every 6 months. My 6 months are not up yet

Anytime I see "What would you like your new credit limit to be?" and "What is your annual income?" I assume a hard pull. I'll let someone else guinea pig...

AMEX one started showing up beginning of the year, old thread: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=52&thre...

If you have a small limit then your new limit can be up to 3x your current limit (so $1000->$3000) -- if you have a mid to high limit then stay below $25k to avoid financial review

In June I requested $500->$5000 but the system only gave me $1000 more so $1500 limit ($500 x 3 = $1500)

You can only request 1 CLI total every 6 months (even if you have multiple cards) -- if you try to request another CLI within 6 months on any card then you'll get the "contact you in 7-10 days" message and you'll get a letter saying:
Thank you for your recent request for a line of credit increase on your American Express Card Account.
We regret to inform you that your request has been declined.
Reason(s) for Our Decision
Our bank policy does not permit us to increase the line of credit on your account within six months since increasing the line of credit on one of your existing American Express accounts.

Read that thread and inquiry info is rather vague. Most seem to think it was soft but then Brettdoyle got a hard. Would love to bump my Blue Cash from 15k to 24k but can't afford an inquiry. Hmmmm

mikecl said:   ColbyS said:   Under "Profile & Preferences", then "See More Options", then "Account Management", then "Manage Credit Limit"

Not sure about right now. But I did this few months (3-4) ago and was not a hard pull. I was told online is not a hard pull and I can do every 6 months. My 6 months are not up yet

saw it before, now its gone.

just requested a 50% CLI. got the 7-10 days.

I just requested CLI from my AMEX blue cash from 13.2K -> 25K and got it as a soft pull. Only had the card for 8 months and used it as my main expense card with paying off at the end of every month. Also tried to get a CLI on my Discover and US Bank cards with a soft pull but they said it will be a hard pull so I backed off.

Requested Citi online 6.8k to 11.8k and 4k to 6k on two separate cars. Experian was pulled, but I got them. Maybe should have asked for more on the 4k card, but last 3 times I was declined.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014