• 122 23 242526
  • Page
  • Text Only
aharon said:   I just requested CLI from my AMEX blue cash from 13.2K -> 25K and got it as a soft pull. Only had the card for 8 months and used it as my main expense card with paying off at the end of every month. Also tried to get a CLI on my Discover and US Bank cards with a soft pull but they said it will be a hard pull so I backed off.Out of curiosity, what did the soft pull AMEX form look like? Did it ask for your income?

Just increased my AMEX BLUE CASH CARD from 15K -> 16K. It only asked for my annual income and it was automatic. I did not get any message about needing to check my credit so I assume it is not a hard pull. Repeat every 6 months and I should be up to 20K soon

skchan2 said:   mikecl said:   ColbyS said:   Under "Profile & Preferences", then "See More Options", then "Account Management", then "Manage Credit Limit"

Looks like hard pull though.

Not sure about right now. But I did this few months (3-4) ago and was not a hard pull. I was told online is not a hard pull and I can do every 6 months. My 6 months are not up yet

saw it before, now its gone.

dug through my history and found the direct link, i filled it out but got the 7-10 day notice.

American Express Line of Credit Increase

HSBC Orchard CLI link is back - requested $1500, got $300

Instant, soft pull

I was recently denied a CLI on a Citi Dividend Platinum Select Student Card. My credit limit right now is $5000 and I requested an increase of $2500. I got the card a couple of years ago when I was a student but now I have a job. I read the OP and it says that I could try to request another CLI in 3 months. Could I / Should I try and get a credit card with another bank? Also, how do people decide on the amount they request a CLI for? Thanks.

arsenalfan said:   I was recently denied a CLI on a Citi Dividend Platinum Select Student Card. My credit limit right now is $5000 and I requested an increase of $2500. I got the card a couple of years ago when I was a student but now I have a job. I read the OP and it says that I could try to request another CLI in 3 months. Could I / Should I try and get a credit card with another bank? Also, how do people decide on the amount they request a CLI for? Thanks.

A lot of the strategies in the OP were from the glory days of credit lines. Citi has scaled back CLI. Its almost impossible to get CLI on Chase cards lately. Havent seen anyone report large CLI with AMEX either. BofA looks like it has a 25k ceiling beyond which you'll get a hard pull notice.

If your financial situation has changed, then its better to do an AOR and accumulate cards from various issuers in one wave of applications. You could then consolidate lines if necessary to make lines large.

TheWalL said:   arsenalfan said:   I was recently denied a CLI on a Citi Dividend Platinum Select Student Card. My credit limit right now is $5000 and I requested an increase of $2500. I got the card a couple of years ago when I was a student but now I have a job. I read the OP and it says that I could try to request another CLI in 3 months. Could I / Should I try and get a credit card with another bank? Also, how do people decide on the amount they request a CLI for? Thanks.

A lot of the strategies in the OP were from the glory days of credit lines. Citi has scaled back CLI. Its almost impossible to get CLI on Chase cards lately. Havent seen anyone report large CLI with AMEX either. BofA looks like it has a 25k ceiling beyond which you'll get a hard pull notice.

If your financial situation has changed, then its better to do an AOR and accumulate cards from various issuers in one wave of applications. You could then consolidate lines if necessary to make lines large.

Hey thanks for the advice but now that I have been declined it'll be wise to wait a few months before applying with a couple of issuers right since I'm assuming the declined request will show up somewhere on my credit report? Also, is there any point asking them to reconsider the denial since their denial reason was "An insufficient number of credit references on file".

TheWalL said:   A lot of the strategies in the OP were from the glory days of credit lines. Citi has scaled back CLI. Its almost impossible to get CLI on Chase cards lately. Havent seen anyone report large CLI with AMEX either. BofA looks like it has a 25k ceiling beyond which you'll get a hard pull notice.
just got a CLI from AMEX for several thousand (an additional 75%) with no issues, and i didnt see an inquiry on my credit report. chase still wont give me anything for free. citi randomly throws a small credit increase my way without me asking though

arsenalfan said:   I was recently denied a CLI on a Citi Dividend Platinum Select Student Card. My credit limit right now is $5000 and I requested an increase of $2500. I got the card a couple of years ago when I was a student but now I have a job. I read the OP and it says that I could try to request another CLI in 3 months. Could I / Should I try and get a credit card with another bank? Also, how do people decide on the amount they request a CLI for? Thanks.Better off applying for a 2nd Citi card -- look for a signup bonus and/or 0% offer

I saw some earlier posts about working with US Bank, but has anyone been successful with requesting a CLI from US Bank lately without a hard pull? I tried calling but the rep insisted it needed to be a hard pull. Tried calling a couple days later to see what another rep said, same thing.

I had some mild success with a $500 CLI from Discover More a month ago. I used a button online and didn't get a response in a few days so I decided to call in. Talked to a rep and explained I wanted an increase but not if it involved a hard pull. He verified my income (crap since I'm a PhD student ~25k/yr) and asked why I wanted it. I fed him some line about wanting to use my Discover card for xmas shopping but the limit was about half the CL of my US Bank VISA and has a higher APR to boot. Was approved for $500 to bring it to 3k without a hard pull. I know it's small compared to what some of you guys have, but then I am a low-income grad student.

I got like 5k limit increase about 6 months ago on my US Bank Business Flex card, no hard pull.

I just called Discover and got a CLI from 10K to 13K. Does anyone know if Discover is still going up to 15K without a hard pull? I'm going to ask again in 6 months and I want to try going up to the maximum.

tried CLI button on BofA card online. Hard pull.

this was a no frills MC I snagged a few years ago, they needed a $100 secured deposit and it had a $500 limit. I have read of other Bofa cards using soft pull.

STEALfromCAGgive2FW said:   tried CLI button on BofA card online. Hard pull.

In the past, BofA was a soft pull. I think that the new cc legislation has changed the landscape.

Random sort of off topic question. Anyone here ask for CLIs on cards the same day as an AOR and take a hard pull? If so. Is that worthwhile to do?

imbatman said:   Random sort of off topic question. Anyone here ask for CLIs on cards the same day as an AOR and take a hard pull? If so. Is that worthwhile to do?]

it's worthwhile if you don't mind the hard inquiry hit and don't plan on applying for more credit in the next 6 months or so.

neophyte said:   HSBC Orchard CLI link is back - requested $1500, got $300

Instant, soft pull

all HSBC cards will have an initial soft pull. if they need more info then they will tell you they need to do a hard pull.

Does the hard inquiry get counted the same as the new credit application? Or does it get classified differently?

imbatman said:   Does the hard inquiry get counted the same as the new credit application? Or does it get classified differently?Hard inq is a hard inq

So multiple hard enquiries on the same day count as one for AORs. Right? If an AOR occurred same day as hard CLI. Would it show up as one on a credit report?

imbatman said:   So multiple hard enquiries on the same day count as one for AORs. Right? If an AOR occurred same day as hard CLI. Would it show up as one on a credit report?All hard inqs will show up on your report for 2 yrs -- you can try to bump them off (see other threads on that)

All credit card related inqs count as individual inqs (even for AORs)

When you're shopping for a mortgage/car/student loan then all your inqs will still show up on your report, but FICO will merge those inqs for scoring purposes only (inqs within 14/30/45 days depending on which FICO model is used) for each of those loan types. It only combines the same type of inqs so if you're shopping around for a mortgage and car loan at the same time then it counts all mortgage inqs as 1 and all car loan inqs as another for scoring purposes -- see the "rate shopping" section here: http://www.myfico.com/CreditEducation/CreditInquiries.aspx

jatan1986 said:   imbatman said:   So multiple hard enquiries on the same day count as one for AORs. Right? If an AOR occurred same day as hard CLI. Would it show up as one on a credit report?All hard inqs will show up on your report for 2 yrs -- you can try to bump them off (see other threads on that)

When you're shopping for a mortgage/car/student loan then all your inqs will still show up on your report, but FICO will merge those inqs for scoring purposes only (inqs within 14/30/45 days depending on which FICO model is used) for each of those loan types. It only combines the same type of inqs so if you're shopping around for a mortgage and car loan at the same time then it counts all mortgage inqs as 1 and all car loan inqs as another for scoring purposes -- see the "rate shopping" section here: http://www.myfico.com/CreditEducation/CreditInquiries.aspx
Expanding on that: with a credit card AOR, you do them all at once so that the 2nd,3rd,4th... place doesn't see the inquiries from the earlier places. But later, all the inquiries will still show up on your credit report.
But if imbatman is asking if you did a CLI with a hard pull and then immediately applied for other cards (or the other way around), would the two places not see each other's inquiries yet, I think the answer's yes.

govenar said:   
But if imbatman is asking if you did a CLI with a hard pull and then immediately applied for other cards (or the other way around), would the two places not see each other's inquiries yet, I think the answer's yes.

That's what I was trying to get at. Thank you for putting it a better way than I did.

govenar said:   jatan1986 said:   imbatman said:   So multiple hard enquiries on the same day count as one for AORs. Right? If an AOR occurred same day as hard CLI. Would it show up as one on a credit report?All hard inqs will show up on your report for 2 yrs -- you can try to bump them off (see other threads on that)

Expanding on that: with a credit card AOR, you do them all at once so that the 2nd,3rd,4th... place doesn't see the inquiries from the earlier places. But later, all the inquiries will still show up on your credit report.
Yes they would not see each other's inquiry, or yes they would see it? If you really are saying that you can count on some delay in an inquiry showing up, would you care to suggest your source for this? I vaguely recall contrary reports of inquiries visible essentially instantaneously and reports of creditors only actually pulling some time after you apply. And then there are reports of complications with online appplications pulling your credit before you actually make it all the way to the final submit button.Again, just curious about your source(s).

Pondus said:   Yes they would not see each other's inquiry, or yes they would see it? If you really are saying that you can count on some delay in an inquiry showing up, would you care to suggest your source for this? I vaguely recall contrary reports of inquiries visible essentially instantaneously and reports of creditors only actually pulling some time after you apply. And then there are reports of complications with online appplications pulling your credit before you actually make it all the way to the final submit button.Again, just curious about your source(s).I meant yes they would not see each other's inquiry. But I haven't tried it myself, and was just basing that on the discussion about AOR in other threads like http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/632935/ where people suggest doing multiple applications on the same day. Looking through the older thread http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=52&thre... I think my statement was probably wrong; someone there said "In my case, all inquiries are refelcted immediately on the reports if I pull after applying through places that offer online approvals. But, the systems of the creditors and/or FICO *MAY* group several inquiries from the same day into one in their analysis. If an actual human were to reveiw the app, however, they would see the inquiries." (not sure if they were talking about mortgage or credit cards though)

I guess I was thinking of the delay before an increased limit would show up; apparently that delay doesn't apply to inquiries.

govenar said:   Pondus said:   Yes they would not see each other's inquiry, or yes they would see it? If you really are saying that you can count on some delay in an inquiry showing up, would you care to suggest your source for this? I vaguely recall contrary reports of inquiries visible essentially instantaneously and reports of creditors only actually pulling some time after you apply. And then there are reports of complications with online appplications pulling your credit before you actually make it all the way to the final submit button.Again, just curious about your source(s).I meant yes they would not see each other's inquiry. But I haven't tried it myself, and was just basing that on the discussion about AOR in other threads like http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/632935/ where people suggest doing multiple applications on the same day. Looking through the older thread http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=52&thre... I think my statement was probably wrong; someone there said "In my case, all inquiries are refelcted immediately on the reports if I pull after applying through places that offer online approvals. But, the systems of the creditors and/or FICO *MAY* group several inquiries from the same day into one in their analysis. If an actual human were to reveiw the app, however, they would see the inquiries." (not sure if they were talking about mortgage or credit cards though)

I guess I was thinking of the delay before an increased limit would show up; apparently that delay doesn't apply to inquiries.

Thanks for clarifying that. Even if the scoring models were to lump multiple non-car and non-mortgage inquiries made in a short time interval (which I admit I would be reluctant to believe even if someone had favorable anecdotal evidence), still, even an automatic pull without a human presence could detect and penalize the multiple recent inquiries (score OK, but too many recent pulls, so denied or AA'd), not caring if they were from new applications or hard CLIs. I think the premise for this thread is sound: if you consider hard pulls objectionable, then try avoiding them instead of hoping they won't prove objectionable.

AMEX - online CLI - $5,000 -> $14,000

Requested $14K. Total AMEX lines = $24,000.

What does BT mean? I just got approved for BOA cc with a CL of 900...How soon will they increase or should i ask for an increase in a few months?

What does BT mean? I just got approved for BOA cc with a CL of 900...How soon will they increase or should i ask for an increase in a few months?

christina411 said:   What does BT mean? I just got approved for BOA cc with a CL of 900...How soon will they increase or should i ask for an increase in a few months?Acronyms: http://www.fatwallet.com/support/faqs.php?section=general#faq51

If you just got approved for $900 then they wont raise it right away

I'm trying to build my credit since I've used cash most of my life.
I just applied for a Chase Freedom card and was completely declined for a judgement which is 6 years old--a BS medical service which I fought pro se and lost.
I have 3 checking accounts with Chase, my TU FICO is 710, EQ FICO is 727 and EX PLUS is 750. I have zero late payments, I have two other cards with over $2k
limits, I have a house that's paid for with no liens and I earn $110k/yr.
Can someone please explain to me what the heck is going on and what kind of qualifications a person needs these days in order to get a credit card with Chase?

Discover 1800 number... 4500 --> 6500. Yay small potatoes.

anik74 said:   I'm trying to build my credit since I've used cash most of my life.
I just applied for a Chase Freedom card and was completely declined for a judgement which is 6 years old--a BS medical service which I fought pro se and lost.
I have 3 checking accounts with Chase, my TU FICO is 710, EQ FICO is 727 and EX PLUS is 750. I have zero late payments, I have two other cards with over $2k
limits, I have a house that's paid for with no liens and I earn $110k/yr.
Can someone please explain to me what the heck is going on and what kind of qualifications a person needs these days in order to get a credit card with Chase?

Did you call and ask for a reconsideration? Once you speak to a credit analyst, you'll get a feel for what the issue is. One analyst flat out told me that an issue was my "high" spending on Chase cards (in my case, charging a lot and paying it off each month). Regardless, it let me know the issue so that I could adjust accordingly, and it was helpful.

-mike

how often can u do the discover CLI?

jatan1986 said:   arsenalfan said:   I was recently denied a CLI on a Citi Dividend Platinum Select Student Card. My credit limit right now is $5000 and I requested an increase of $2500. I got the card a couple of years ago when I was a student but now I have a job. I read the OP and it says that I could try to request another CLI in 3 months. Could I / Should I try and get a credit card with another bank? Also, how do people decide on the amount they request a CLI for? Thanks.Better off applying for a 2nd Citi card -- look for a signup bonus and/or 0% offer

Ok, so I applied for a Citi Forward card and got rejected there too. The reason is too many credit inquiries. I purchased a new vehicle a couple of months ago and as a result while applying for an auto loan there were multiple inquiries. I was under the impression that these loans usually are counted as just one inquiry since we have a right to shop for auto loans. They say the inquiries just show up as checks and there is no way for them to ascertain that it was an auto loan. It could be a credit card app. I spoke to two supervisors and asked them to reconsider but they wouldn't. I even asked them if they could lower the limit on my current card and give me a a low limit citi forward but they kept saying the computer denied you and so we cannot reverse the decision. I have had a credit card with them for 3 years now and never missed a payment too. My annual pay is very good too. Looks like I'll have to wait a year and keep using the 5k limit.

I tried instant messaging with Discover on a $1000 credit limit card where a higher limit would be convenintet, but not essential.

They took all the information and then the agent stated they would have to do a credit pull (It did not appear there wasw any discretion and I was rather irriated they did not so state at the beginning of the process rather than wasting my time).

My Chase cards have been stuck at $4,000 for who knows how long. Not worth a pull to increase the limit. I will probably consolidate the lines and then open an AMEX card.

arsenalfan said:   jatan1986 said:   arsenalfan said:   I was recently denied a CLI on a Citi Dividend Platinum Select Student Card. My credit limit right now is $5000 and I requested an increase of $2500. I got the card a couple of years ago when I was a student but now I have a job. I read the OP and it says that I could try to request another CLI in 3 months. Could I / Should I try and get a credit card with another bank? Also, how do people decide on the amount they request a CLI for? Thanks.Better off applying for a 2nd Citi card -- look for a signup bonus and/or 0% offer

Ok, so I applied for a Citi Forward card and got rejected there too. The reason is too many credit inquiries. I purchased a new vehicle a couple of months ago and as a result while applying for an auto loan there were multiple inquiries. I was under the impression that these loans usually are counted as just one inquiry since we have a right to shop for auto loans. They say the inquiries just show up as checks and there is no way for them to ascertain that it was an auto loan. It could be a credit card app. I spoke to two supervisors and asked them to reconsider but they wouldn't. I even asked them if they could lower the limit on my current card and give me a a low limit citi forward but they kept saying the computer denied you and so we cannot reverse the decision. I have had a credit card with them for 3 years now and never missed a payment too. My annual pay is very good too. Looks like I'll have to wait a year and keep using the 5k limit.

I think there is a misconception here. The FICO scoring algorithm will take all hard inquiries of a similar type (like auto loan or mortgage) within a specific period of time and count them as one inquiry when calculating your FICO score. Each inquiry is still an independent inquiry on your report, regardless of how FICO treats it for your score. So Citi's system could very well consider every independent inquiry as a reason to decline. That's totally their decision, just as it's totally FICO's decision to treat them as one.

qwertyaas said:   My Chase cards have been stuck at $4,000 for who knows how long. Not worth a pull to increase the limit. I will probably consolidate the lines and then open an AMEX card.
Does citi allow consolidations?

CycloneFW said:   arsenalfan said:   jatan1986 said:   arsenalfan said:   I was recently denied a CLI on a Citi Dividend Platinum Select Student Card. My credit limit right now is $5000 and I requested an increase of $2500. I got the card a couple of years ago when I was a student but now I have a job. I read the OP and it says that I could try to request another CLI in 3 months. Could I / Should I try and get a credit card with another bank? Also, how do people decide on the amount they request a CLI for? Thanks.Better off applying for a 2nd Citi card -- look for a signup bonus and/or 0% offer

I think there is a misconception here. The FICO scoring algorithm will take all hard inquiries of a similar type (like auto loan or mortgage) within a specific period of time and count them as one inquiry when calculating your FICO score. Each inquiry is still an independent inquiry on your report, regardless of how FICO treats it for your score. So Citi's system could very well consider every independent inquiry as a reason to decline. That's totally their decision, just as it's totally FICO's decision to treat them as one.

Ohh then that is really stupid of me to apply so soon. Anyway even though they told me to apply in a couple of months I think I'll make a few payments on my car and wait a year or so before applying again.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014