Citibank e-Savings ... now 4.50%APY

Archived From: Finance
  • 1 234525
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Citibank's e-Savings must be linked to a Citibank EZ Checking account, but it has no monthly fees and no balance requirements.

If you open EZ Checking and e-Savings before 12/31/2006, EZ Checking will be free of monthly maintenance and per-check fees regardless of balance or direct deposit, etc.

Here is the link for the e-Savings account:

Citibank e-Savings

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Oh right. The DD is for the extra TY points. Soz.

MilesHeighway (Aug. 14, 2007 @ 1:07p) |

For those who had problems similar to mine, I got advice in a PM that worked like a charm. I don't know if the person w... (more)

Dampier (Aug. 14, 2007 @ 3:46p) |

cr*p, I just saw this post. oh well, I only keep a little bit there anyway, mostly for the Thank You Points. It's kind o... (more)

psychtobe (Sep. 21, 2007 @ 9:51a) |

Way to avoid hard inquiry if you already have saving and checking account with Citibank. Just follow what andrewli said below.

andrewli said:
1) Log into Citibank Online
2) Click the "Welcome" tab, followed by "Products and Services"
3) Click on e-Savings, followed by "Apply"
4) Your name and address should populate on a screen with a blue background with "Your account will be opened instantly"

This works for any product you want to open with Citi (the bank, not credit cards).

Rate increased to 5.00% !!! As of 6/25/06, or earlier.

WARNING: Citibank does a hard inquiry for opening this account. Read above to see how to avoid hard inquiry.

ThankYou points information. By opening a Savings account linked to your Citi checking account, you are eligible to get "thankyou" points each month.

Here is a fatwallet discussion on this
thankyou-points

Direct e-Savings LINK

7-Eleven to offer free ATMs to Citibank customers

Now it's only 4.75% APY. updated 01/31/07

Down to 4.50% APY (updated 04/03/07)

Down to 4.25% APY (updated 6/10/07)

Rates are current for the Citibank e-Savings Account as of 05/16/2005 and are subject to change. Rates may change after the account is opened and fees could reduce earnings.

To open a Citibank e-Savings Account you must have or open a checking account in the Citibank EZ Checking, Citibank Account, Citibank Everything Counts Account or CitiGold Account relationship package. Your Citibank e-Savings Account must also appear on the same statement as your checking account. Regular Checking accounts do not earn interest. Fees may apply to the checking account.

Deposits subject to Citibank's standard funds availability delays. The maximum account deposit balance, exclusive of interest, is $250,000.

*Citibank EZ Checking package is free of monthly maintenance fees and per-check fees with 2 or more qualifying electronic bill payments from, or a direct deposit to, a Regular Checking account during the monthly statement period. Otherwise, when the $1,500 minimum balance requirement is not met, your package will be subject to a maintenance fee and a per-check fee.
Qualifying electronic bill payments are individual or recurring bill payments that you make to a third party: by preauthorized transfer; using Citibank Online; or using CitiPhone Banking bill payment service. Staff assisted bill payments are subject to monthly service charge of $4.95. Payments you made by check do not qualify.

†Forbes.com's Best of The Web chose Citibank Online as its favorite online banking site in its Spring 2005 issue.

Their are following up with ING now. Is it really no minimum balance and no fees as Ing?

When I try to signup I am greeted with this prompt "Please enter your special offer code"

pretty good deal for those who just got their Citi EZ checking (for ipod mini perhaps) and have to maintain 1500 in order to waive fees. Not good for me, cuz I have 1500 tied to CDs, but oh well.

Also, opening more citi accounts can help you increase your citi thankyou rewards points. I believe savings are counted. every one service you add (such as savings, CDs, direct deposit, bill pay, etc.)
thankyou-citi

winter said: When I try to signup I am greeted with this prompt "Please enter your special offer code"

Go through the OP's link. Offer code is CD2F.

Edit - code through link does not appear to work

Code CD2F doesn't seem to be working.

nuclearfusion said: winter said: When I try to signup I am greeted with this prompt "Please enter your special offer code"

Did that and it still prompts for a code, also tried entering that code (CD2F) manually - doesn't work for me.

same here- and i couldn't find anything about it on citibank's website either.
will try calling CS today...

nuclearfusion said: winter said: When I try to signup I am greeted with this prompt "Please enter your special offer code"

Edit - Code through link does not appear to be working.

The CSR i talked to just now tells me that this e-savings promotion was postponed to the 'mid to latter part of june'
and the link should have been taken down

I don't see why Citi would postpone it. Are they thinking that interest rates would go up a little more by then, or that ing or emigrant would lower their rates?

maybe they're afraid they aren't ready (and can't handle the questions from people. ^_^)

VivYip said: maybe they're afraid they aren't ready (and can't handle the questions from people. ^_^)

Has that ever been a concern for citi? Maybe their T&C were too specific to provide the wiggle room for them to back out of commitments!

Who knows how long citi's offer will last, just stick with ING if you have it. If you don't, then I would highly recommend them! They have always had a solid APY thats been higher than the national average by far! They are truely the best bank I have ever dealt with. With all the hidden fees Citi has, you will get nailed by them sooner or later through one of their linked accounts. I already have a CC through them and they stuck it to me a few times! Besides, you can earn 25 bux through ING if you get a referral from someone who has an ING account and the refferer gets $10.

ING ownz all!

No doubt ING is great. For years they had, far and away, the best MMA rates. But this year some other banks have stepped it up and ING hasn't exactly kept up, rate-wise at least. Service/interface still my favorite though. Check out this excellent thread for more info.

Besides, you can earn 25 bux through ING if you get a referral from someone who has an ING account and the refferer gets $10.

I've wondered why I don't see FWers offering to refer other FWers (or to be referred), to take advantage of this.

referrals are not allowed. ^_^
(I miss the days where there was a referral forum...sigh)

ah the amount of spam that is produced

Just want to say a big thank you to the OP. I called and set up an account. Told me I would see it online on Tuesday.

HappyGuy said: Just want to say a big thank you to the OP. I called and set up an account. Told me I would see it online on Tuesday. Ok, now I'm confused - is it postponed or is it live? I guess calling in is the only way to setup an account right now?

does anyone have a new link/code/more info?

I have an existing Citi checking account. I called the 1-800-374-9500, they transfered me once, I gave them updated info about me and they opened the account. It took about 5 minutes (not including the 2 minute HELOC pitch).

Strange. I just called about 10mins ago and after the transfer, I was told that the eSavings is no offered. CSR told me it will be offered sometime next month. What a pain.

B0nk said: Strange. I just called about 10mins ago and after the transfer, I was told that the eSavings is no offered. CSR told me it will be offered sometime next month. Do you have an existing Citibank checking account (did they ask)?

Ok spoke with them again and it turns that this promotion IS NOT VALID!!!

I hope I actually get this account...

I called 1-800-745-1534 because I think this number usually reaches someone in the US...anyway, a lady named Martha helped me open the account. She asked if I had a code and I said no. I also asked if they had the e-savings account with no min and no fees and a rate of 3%. She reassured me and opened the account saying the account will be funded at my request with $25. Supposedly, the information will show up on Tuesday.

She said that this account is very new, that's all.

Yes, I do have an existing checking account. But that's not the reason why tho. It's the promo that's over. The CSR told me he'll call me as soon as the promo is back. I threatened to close my accounts.

UPDATE: Thanks to VivYip's phone number info, I called again and everything worked out. Remember to call the 1-800-745-1534. Offer Code: CD2F

VivYip said: I hope I actually get this account...

I called 1-800-745-1534 because I think this number usually reaches someone in the US...anyway, a lady named Martha helped me open the account. She asked if I had a code and I said no. I also asked if they had the e-savings account with no min and no fees and a rate of 3%. She reassured me and opened the account saying the account will be funded at my request with $25. Supposedly, the information will show up on Tuesday.

She said that this account is very new, that's all.

Funny, I spoke to Marth also.

B0nk said: UPDATE: Thanks to VivYip's phone number info, I called again and everything worked out. Remember to call the 1-800-745-1534. Offer Code: CD2F

hmm i called this and the guy is saying they dont open that account over the phone, and that they pulled the online advertising for it. he then said i can open it online, but i said i couldnt because the offer code page kept asking me for the code...
citibank, what are you guys doing ? lol

where did you guys get this promotion link in the first place? Since its not even valid?

Usually they have a banner where you get these from, like cnn nytimes etc..

There was a banner ad for it on my Yahoo home page.

good

now the link says offer expired...

I'm sorry about that ... I didn't realize Citibank would pull something like this.

GoCowboys said: I'm sorry about that ... I didn't realize Citibank would pull something like this.

hopefully they will actually offer this soon (once they figure out wtf they are doing!)

I signed up for the esavings account this morning. But i just spoke with another CSR and she told me that the account won't go through. They had just received a letter from the citibank corp informing them to halt processing the esavings accounts. CSR said that citibank probably haven't got it all together yet. Just wait in the near future for it.

Dave

Skipping 945 Messages...
coconutrobber said: Citibank E-Savings account is now down to 4.25% APY.

cr*p, I just saw this post. oh well, I only keep a little bit there anyway, mostly for the Thank You Points. It's kind of a hassle for 9600 TY Points per year, but I figure they're worth more than the interest I'm losing. I wonder if Citi will drop the rate again.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014