• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I thought this was different enough from their last offer to deserve its own thread.

Advanta.com

Earn 5% Cash Back on gasoline, office supplies, computer equipment, utilities, cell phones and internet services, and 1% on all other purchases. Up to $300/yr.

Free 6mo Club O Gold (30% off at overstock.com)

I got an invite for this card with a special site to go to. But it seems their regular site doesn't require an invite.

Edit - Almost forgot, there is a 3%BT fee up to $50

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I just got my August statement. I got the letter changing the reward to 6% for $500 per year. I made one purchase in a... (more)

bluechalk (Aug. 10, 2007 @ 9:54a) |

sounds to me like their system is probably screwed up right now...

defjukie (Aug. 10, 2007 @ 10:13a) |

Yeah, hopefully they screw up and forget to limit us to $500 in spending for %6.

djspray (Aug. 10, 2007 @ 10:17a) |

Read the entire T&Cs VERY CAREFULLY, heres a partial excerpt From the Advanta site:

"Your Request for Credit: The person (the "Signing Individual") whose name appears on an Advanta Bank Corp. ("ABC") credit application or invitation response (the "Application"), by submitting the Application, (1) represents that he/she is at least 18 years of age, a U.S. citizen or permanent legal U.S. resident, and either a proprietor or an authorized representative, partner, officer, or agent of the business identified in the Application (the "Business"); (2) agrees for him/herself individually and on behalf of the Business to be bound by the terms and conditions of the Advanta Business Card Agreement (the "Card Agreement") which, if and when issued, will be mailed with one or more requested credit cards (each, a "Card"); and (3) requests that ABC establish an Advanta Business Card account and issue Cards on the account to the Signing Individual and to each additional person (if any) for whom a Card is requested. The Signing Individual further acknowledges and agrees that: (i) all information provided in the Application or otherwise in connection with the request for credit is complete and correct; (ii) by using any Card or the account, the Signing Individual and the Business each agree to be bound by the terms of the Card Agreement; "
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I received this offer in the mail yesterday.

I don't own a business.

They have some crummy marketing folks handling their advertising account.

They never used to limit CashBack per year.

BigBucksNoWhammy said: I received this offer in the mail yesterday.

I don't own a business.

They have some crummy marketing folks handling their advertising account.

Is there anyway to sign up without having a business?

I don't think it says you have to be a business OWNER anywhere. The application form doesn't ask for a tax id and I think the business box is optional. Supposedly the rewards are for "business" purchases, but I'm pretty sure they won't care what u use your stuff for. They denied me already though. Could be because I am unemployed.

I signed up about 10 days ago and received my card today. You don't need to have your own business to get the card.

vkl168 said: I signed up about 10 days ago and received my card today. You don't need to have your own business to get the card.really? what did you state on the APP to get the card? This is a BUSINESS CARD.

Did you make up a fake business, represent that you can get cards for your employer, ???

300/year..

really? what did you state on the APP to get the card? This is a BUSINESS CARD.

Did you make up a fake business, represent that you can get cards for your employer, ???

I did not make up a fake business. I put down my employer information. I got the pre-approved offer to my home address. The advertise the card as "Now you can get personal rewards for your business expenses.. FREE!" So you don't need to own a business to get the card.

vkl168 said: really? what did you state on the APP to get the card? This is a BUSINESS CARD.

I did not make up a fake business. I put down my employer information. I got the pre-approved offer to my home address. The advertise the card as "Now you can get personal rewards for your business expenses.. FREE!" So you don't need to own a business to get the card.

Same deal here - got an offer in the mail, started to sign up on-line, but quit before I was done. One of their reps called be back to see why I didn't complete the application. I told him I was a little unsure, being a Business card and all. Turns out you don't need to be a business owner, being an employee of a business qualifys you too. Went ahead and completed the application on the phone. BTW - the mailed offer had two choices for Cash Back, one gave 5% back on Airfare, Hotels, Dining, Gas - that's the one I took. I don't have the printed offer anymore, threw it away, but if anyone has it, the URL that was included on the printed offer would allow you to sign up for either of the offers - even if you had "lost" your offer code, you could still choose the Cash Back plan you wanted and sign-up on line if you had the correct URL.

crash22 said: vkl168 said: really? what did you state on the APP to get the card? This is a BUSINESS CARD.

Same deal here - got an offer in the mail, started to sign up on-line, but quit before I was done. One of their reps called be back to see why I didn't complete the application. I told him I was a little unsure, being a Business card and all. Turns out you don't need to be a business owner, being an employee of a business qualifys you too..

Be very careful and dont rely on what CSRs tell you. Read the T&Cs VERY CAREFULLY. Excerpt From the Advanta site:

"Your Request for Credit: The person (the "Signing Individual") whose name appears on an Advanta Bank Corp. ("ABC") credit application or invitation response (the "Application"), by submitting the Application, (1) represents that he/she is at least 18 years of age, a U.S. citizen or permanent legal U.S. resident, and either a proprietor or an authorized representative, partner, officer, or agent of the business identified in the Application (the "Business"); (2) agrees for him/herself individually and on behalf of the Business to be bound by the terms and conditions of the Advanta Business Card Agreement (the "Card Agreement") which, if and when issued, will be mailed with one or more requested credit cards (each, a "Card"); and (3) requests that ABC establish an Advanta Business Card account and issue Cards on the account to the Signing Individual and to each additional person (if any) for whom a Card is requested. The Signing Individual further acknowledges and agrees that: (i) all information provided in the Application or otherwise in connection with the request for credit is complete and correct; (ii) by using any Card or the account, the Signing Individual and the Business each agree to be bound by the terms of the Card Agreement; "

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just being "Joe Schmo tech guy whose employer is Microsoft" doesnt mean you can start opening Microsoft credit lines, regardless of whether Advanta lets you do it! Business cards are available to employees who possess the AUTHORITY to obligate the business to repay the debt (ie Owner/President/etc) . Advanta may be lazy in who they are allowing to open credit lines, but you better be CERTAIN about what you are applying for - you can easily lose your job if your company catches wind of this. Doesnt matter that the application came to your house.

I did my application online.

After entering the invitation code, I was taken to an application form. There was a check box on the form for an option to apply for credit as an individual, not via my company.

BTW, I was not given an option to put the business name on the card when I did my application.

didYOUsearch said: crash22 said: vkl168 said: really? what did you state on the APP to get the card? This is a BUSINESS CARD.

Same deal here - got an offer in the mail, started to sign up on-line, but quit before I was done. One of their reps called be back to see why I didn't complete the application. I told him I was a little unsure, being a Business card and all. Turns out you don't need to be a business owner, being an employee of a business qualifys you too..

Be very careful and dont rely on what CSRs tell you. Read the T&Cs VERY CAREFULLY. Excerpt From the Advanta site:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just being "Joe Schmo tech guy whose employer is Microsoft" doesnt mean you can start opening Microsoft credit lines, regardless of whether Advanta lets you do it! Business cards are available to employees who possess the AUTHORITY to obligate the business to repay the debt (ie Owner/President/etc) . Advanta may be lazy in who they are allowing to open credit lines, but you better be CERTAIN about what you are applying for - you can easily lose your job if your company catches wind of this. Doesnt matter that the application came to your house.

It's up to each individual to determine if they qualify (based on the requirements stated) - but I am an authorized representative of the company I work for, so that issue it moot. Furthermore, Advanta asked for no FID, no business address, no questions pertaining to type of business I work for, no questions regarding annual revenue - only thing they have that links me to the company I work for is my work number. Credit appears to be extended based on the applicants credit history not the companies - they wanted my SSN and my income - nothing about the company.

As stated, in my situation it doesn't matter since I do comply with their offer requirements - but for others it's up to them. I suppose you could say you work for "[Your Name here] consulting" and they would give you a card based on that too - providing your personal credit history qualifies you.

Received my card yesterday - no reference to my employeer at all. Card only has my name on it. After registering the card I accessed my account on-line and under "profile" it listed my name as the business name. Even though I gave them my employeers name, it was not used at all. Credit was issued based on my credit history, Card issued in just my name, my name was used as the business name.

5% Cash Back on Travel & Entertainment (Airfare, Hotels, Dining, Fuel) plus 1% on everything else makes for a decent card ($300 annual limit). Not as good as the MBNA 10% Cash Back card that expires in July, but the best replacement I've found so far - and the only card I've found that gives 5% on Airfare, Hotels and Dining.

Edit - just noticed at the top of the printed "Card Agreement" that came with the card it says:

Advanta Business Card Agreement
(Signing Individual Only; No Business Liability)

That pretty much sums it up - the card is NOT tied to a business.

does this card provide free primary rental car CDW coverage as in contrast to secondary coverages provided by most consumer credit cards?

I just got the offer in the mail. A big plus for us is that it also pays 5% for ground transportation which they define as taxicabs, limousines, railroads, ferries, buses or tolls. It would be really nice to get 5% back on the commuter bus. But, does the Advanta Business Card have a website where you can see unbilled transactions and pay the bill by ACH transfer from a checking account? I would miss this capability if its not there.

I am ready to apply. but I am not sure if it offer large CL for BT
and $300 cap made it not that attractive compare with AMEX

My small company uses the Chase 3% back business card.

We got something in the mail for this card and signed up tonight, that extra 2% is going to give a nice extra chunk of change each year!

Just received a mailer from them and mailed back the app. Think this is one of the best card I have seen. Will be getting back 5% on gas, cell phones, utilities(shoud be a real help this winter), office supplies(combined with Staples Reward Card would give me 15% here), Internet Services, and so on.

Would like to do the 0% balance transfer until 1-2007, since my 0% chase card goes up next month to the 13% rate. Actually, have been carrying a balance for the past 4 years but its all been at 0%.

stateofmind said: Would like to do the 0% balance transfer until 1-2007, since my 0% chase card goes up next month to the 13% rate. Actually, have been carrying a balance for the past 4 years but its all been at 0%.

If you're going to use it for the BT I hope you don't plan on charging purchases to get the 5%. The offer I got with the 0% BT had purchases at 7.99%. My offer also had a BT fee of 3% up to $50.

The Advanta website for managing the card is quite good. Like MBNA, it shows the details of temporary authorizations. It allows you to schedule a credit card payment via an ACH debit from your checking account and lets you specify a future date for the transfer. But, it takes up to three extra business days for the payment to post.

Does Advanta report it to your personal Credit Report?
Thx.

Could someone please provide the URL for the offer that provides 5% back on Airfare, Hotels, Dining, and Gas? Thanks.

The URL for the Advanta Business Card with the 5% rebate is here.

Yes, that is the URL for the basic offer (5% Cash Back on gasoline, office supplies, utilities, ground transportation, computer equipment, courier services, cell phones and Internet services) but in an earlier post crash22 wrote,

"BTW - the mailed offer had two choices for Cash Back, one gave 5% back on Airfare, Hotels, Dining, Gas - that's the one I took. I don't have the printed offer anymore, threw it away, but if anyone has it, the URL that was included on the printed offer would allow you to sign up for either of the offers - even if you had "lost" your offer code, you could still choose the Cash Back plan you wanted and sign-up on line if you had the correct URL."

There is apparently another URL that provides the option for 5% back on Airfare, Hotels, Dining, Gas. I called customer service and asked for this offer but they said I needed to apply through the website and needed the URL.

The Advanta account management website is not quite as good as I stated in an earlier post. Temporary transactions don't post immediately. They post the next day. I don't know what happens on weekends.

Anybody now have that special link for the 5% back on dining?

hellyea81 said: Anybody now have that special link for the 5% back on dining?there is no link to get the advanta T&E card, its by mailed invite only.

get the Citi MTVu card, has 5% on dining and other categories too.

Effective Jan 2006, Advanta will be changing the reward cap from $300/year to $25/billing cycle. This makes the card less advantageous for large purchases.

Is it possible to BT to a checking account or ask for a check with this card ?

Advanta routinely sends out 0 % checks you can write to yourself

Just to clarify the title of the OP: Advanta offers 0% BT for 16 months from the time of application/approval (not just until Sep'06). Pretty good offer.

For those who got this card: does Advanta report to CRAs? (I know that some business cards don't)

no they dont

Receive a change to their rule when I got a chance to read thru the misc material enclosed with my statements. Basically they changed it to be $25 cap/billing cycle beginning 1/06, which stinks, guess they didn't want people to max out the cap then stop using the card. But this program has not been around for that long....

Can anyone verify that this card still gives 5% back on ground transportation. I looked at the terms and conditions on the application site and it stated:

"Cash Back rewards of 5% are earned on all qualifying purchases of "gasoline and diesel fuel", "computers, computer supplies, electronics and office supplies" and "utilities and telecommunications" items."

Thanks

For those of you who have this card, any problems actually getting the 5%? I've seen complaints posted about a lot of other cards, and I'm wondering whether people have had similar problems with this card. I realize that many times the problem is how the merchant is categorized with the credit card issuer, but how about things that seem clear cut like office supply stores or cell phone bills? If I make purchases at Office Depot & Staples or pay my T-Mobile cellphone bill with this card, will I get my 5%?

I use this card to pay my Cingular Wireless and Comcast Cable Internet bills and both got me 5% Cash Back no problem. The Advanta CSRs I've talked to have been helpful but were surprised that I got 5% Cash Back on the Comcast Cable Internet because they see it categorized as a Cable TV service and not an Internet service.

Also as a business card the account does not show up on my presonal credit report, which is great because I'm gonna take full advantage of their 16-month 0% BT offer. (i.e. Good place to hide a high balance)

I got 5% Cash Back for everything that I expected. This included purchases at Circuit City, Best Buy and Staples as well as paying bills for Verizon, Verizon Wireless, Cablevision, and some smaller long-distance companies.

I don't know about other applications' t&c, but the terms and conditions mailed to me recently stipulate that:

the Cards and the account will be used solely for business purposes...and not for personal, family, or househound purposes

It seems like they are just asking for these cards to be used for personal use by not even asking for a business name in the application, but regardless, I won't be requesting this card.

Skipping 95 Messages...
Yeah, hopefully they screw up and forget to limit us to $500 in spending for %6.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014