• 136 37 38394041
  • Page
  • Text Only
pyro123 said:
wrong.. Please read

link

The guys doesn't know how to spell 'grocerries' and has very indirect relationship with Chase... Please find a better source.

DaveHanson said: I realize that neither "rewards plus" nor "cash plus" flavors of this card are still available...

But are people with the "cash plus" card still able to convert to the "rewards plus" flavor?

I've got a friend who buys so much gas that he'll max out the $300 in cash plus benefits before long...am therefore thinking it would make sense to get him switched over if that's still doable without a huge hassle.

TIA

have him get the penfed visa, 5% gas rebate given as a monthly statement credit.

pyro123 said: craig10x said: supermarkets most definately DO qualify...just not the superstore types like superwalmart, etc that sell food items....Here in NYC, i shop at Food Emporium, which is a chain supermarket owned by A & P (not a grocery store)...i get my 5% all the time!

You can't go by the coding, either..they usually appear as "Other" but you still get the bonus...

wrong.. Please read

link

Not wrong...the only 5% purchases i make are when i swipe my card at Food Emporium which is a supermarket...Chase considers supermarkets the same as grocery stores for qualifying for the 5%....i have no car, so i don't get the 5% for gas...and i rarely use my card for the drugs stores.....i don't care what that link says...if I could show you my statement, you would see for yourself....my food emporium purchases are listed with those bonus points as clear as a bell....what's right...a stupid article or my statement with the points on it????

My mistake, i doublechecked with chase and supermarkets are considered groceries and still qualify under the 5% rewards.. Initially, i got a rep that gave me the wrong info.

pyro123 said: My mistake, i doublechecked with chase and supermarkets are considered groceries and still qualify under the 5% rewards.. Initially, i got a rep that gave me the wrong info.

No problem ...i just didn't want people to think that supermarkets are no longer considered in the 5% catagory...i know i do get the extra points every statement (i use the card at the supermarket every week)....the confusion is because they are no longer giving 5% for certain types of super-department stores that also sell food items, and many are mis-interpreting it to mean that no supermarkets count anymore...

Squeezer99, that's a good card, but they don't want to give him one without pay stubs, so it's out...

Anyone have recent experience converting one flavor of these to another? I'm guessing it can't be done anymore, but would be delighted to be proven wrong.

Dave, he could try calling and asking, but tell him not to get his hopes up...while it was quite easy to convert from one to another (ex: cash plus to rewards plus) and i had done it myself in the past, but that was when the cards were still being actively marketed...now that they aren't anymore...from what i have seen of past posters on fw, they were not successful in getting them to convert at this point...

Chase is very nice about converting rewards programs, as long as they are still in active marketing phase....

I can now confirm that I have NOT received 5% at a WalMart Neighborhood market in Texas on my May statement. The same transaction last month did show 5% so obviously Chase disallowed it on their end. Does anyone think we should contest this with Chase? Obviously, WalMart neighborhood markets are grocery stores and have the same layout and product selection as other grocery stores for which I did receive 5% on the same statement, so perhaps it was arbitrarily applied to anything with "WalMart" name (the merchant name is the same for the neighborhood markets as for other Walmarts).

Thanks for the help craig10x.

Was going to suggest he call and try too, but knowing how folks get different answers to questions like this, and with his lacking a speakerphone , I thought I'd see if we could get at least one recent success story.

mariojm said: I can now confirm that I have NOT received 5% at a WalMart Neighborhood market in Texas on my May statement. The same transaction last month did show 5% so obviously Chase disallowed it on their end. Does anyone think we should contest this with Chase? Obviously, WalMart neighborhood markets are grocery stores and have the same layout and product selection as other grocery stores for which I did receive 5% on the same statement, so perhaps it was arbitrarily applied to anything with "WalMart" name (the merchant name is the same for the neighborhood markets as for other Walmarts).

I used also to get 5% at Super WalMart's and Super Target's using my Chase Cash Plus since I got the card back in 2005. This seems to have ended as of my May's statement. Well, it was good while it lasted.

So I have chase rewards plus, but CSR is saying I didn't get 5% on the following gas stations:

RACETRAC504 00005041(Vehicle Expenses)
KROGER FUEL #7577 Q66(Vehicle Expenses)

WTH??? Then the guy has the nerve to tell me to call up racetrac and find out why.

Also he said this did qualify:

KROGER #0577 SL9(Other)

Even though it's listed as other. He said there is no way for me to find out online what qualifies unless i call in.

ymarker said: So I have chase rewards plus, but CSR is saying I didn't get 5% on the following gas stations:

Did you pay at the pump?

AlexTheMan said: I used also to get 5% at Super WalMart's and Super Target's using my Chase Cash Plus since I got the card back in 2005. This seems to have ended as of my May's statement. Well, it was good while it lasted.

FYI - I was also disappointed with the loss of 5% at Wal-Mart so I started using my Citi Diamond Preferred card. Last month it gave me 5% back in Thank You points for Wal-Mart purchases so that's what we'll continue using for now until that 5% well dries up. Other Citi cards may work but I haven't tried them. I may also try my Simplicity card to see if that works.

i may be late on this discussion, but i did receive a statement in the mail saying stores like super walmarts and super targets are no longer classified as grocery stores

GeneValgene said: i may be late on this discussion, but i did receive a statement in the mail saying stores like super walmarts and super targets are no longer classified as grocery stores
Yes, you are way late. See Snakebit12's post on 4/4/2007.

SpeedDragon

pyro123 said: My mistake, i doublechecked with chase and supermarkets are considered groceries and still qualify under the 5% rewards.. Initially, i got a rep that gave me the wrong info.

What's the difference between a grocery store and a supermarket? Where I live we use the same term for both.

Grifman said: pyro123 said: My mistake, i doublechecked with chase and supermarkets are considered groceries and still qualify under the 5% rewards.. Initially, i got a rep that gave me the wrong info.

What's the difference between a grocery store and a supermarket? Where I live we use the same term for both.

The difference is often supermarkets are larger in physical size, and often carry a large variety of stuff, and that they are part of large chains (grocery stores are usually smaller, individually owned places)....

Chase is just no longer covering super department stores that carry food as well, like say, Super-WalMart....

But for rewards purposes, there is no difference between a grocery store and a supermarket....

SUB said: ymarker said: So I have chase rewards plus, but CSR is saying I didn't get 5% on the following gas stations:

Did you pay at the pump?

Yep. I sent a secure message as a follow up to the discussion above I had with CSR (call center in India - should have known better). Anyways, after messaging x2, I get the breakdown and they do confirm I did get 5 pts for kroger fuel, walgreens, kroger. Won't know about Racetrac until statement closes.

Really disappointed with call center service so far with Chase. Atleast the secure message don't appear to be sent out (yet) and the folks that answer them appear to be more knowledgable (in this instance anyways).

I haven't had any problems getting the full 5% with RaceTrac. They do show that way before a statement is issued though.

aidswater said: I haven't had any problems getting the full 5% with RaceTrac. They do show that way before a statement is issued though.

Where? I have rewards plus not cash plus - don't know if they show the rewards differently for you guys.

Received a letter from chase today. This card reward program is changing to chase freedom reward program. No more 5% Cash Back.

can you make a scan?

No more scan. Here is some highlight:

Earn 3% Cash Back on eligible purchases in the top 3 categories where you spend the most each month
Earn 1% Cash Back on all other purchases
Switch between Cash Back and points
Any earned rewards will transfer to your new chase freedom rewards program

If this is true, i have no doubt that the Rewards Plus will also convert over to Freedom Rewards....if that happens (i currently i have Rewards Plus and Freedom Rewards) i will probably cash out my remaining points on the Rewards Plus, close that card and move my line over to my newer Freedom Rewards Signature Card...Won't really need to have two 3% Rewards cards.
Funny thing is i was mostly using my new Freedom Rewards card, anyway, and just using the old Rewards Plus for 5% on grocery shopping...

This actually wouldn't surprise me that much...Chase was very nice about letting those with 5% (cash plus and rewards plus) continue for quite a long time past the time when they stopped issueing new cards...so i can't really complain

nomansland said: Received a letter from chase today. This card reward program is changing to chase freedom reward program. No more 5% Cash Back.

I still haven't received the letter. When will that happen?

Did the letter say the date it applied? Surely it wasn't immediately?

Dang....This news makes me wish I applied for the Freedom card with the $250 bonus rather then chasing after the Cash Plus. card.

damn i hope i don't get the same letter. i shop at WalMart for my groceries (and i almost never go to drug stores) so the 5% ca$hback on gas is nice, however i put all that on my rewards plus Visa. the cash plus rewards MC i use at sam's club only, so looks like I may have to find another mastercard that does better.

My wife got a letter from Chase - twice - offering to convert her Chase Plus to Freedom with 15 3% rewards categories, but not forcing it. I tried to convert mine (we applied for Cash Plus simultaneously a few years ago), but they said no. So, she converted hers then. It unlocked the Chase Rewards Plus+ shopping portal access.

just got my letter - gonna try some mega complaints.

(FYI, in case it matters, the ONLY items ever charged to this card were gas, groceries, and drug stores for 5% Cash Back, each - and I only ever redeemeed the 5,000 points=$50 cash checks.

zenob said: just got my letter - gonna try some mega complaints.

(FYI, in case it matters, the ONLY items ever charged to this card were gas, groceries, and drug stores for 5% Cash Back, each - and I only ever redeemeed the 5,000 points=$50 cash checks.

While i can understand your disapointment at losing the 5%, i am not sure how long you have had the card, but you do realize that unlike Citi, with it's 5% dividend cash rewards, Chase was nice enough to extend the 5% privilege LONG AFTER the cards were no longer available to new applicants....

When they introduced the 3% Freedom (which still beats Citi's 2% deal....and even made better if you wait until $200 to cash out since they give a $50 bonus with it every time), you had to realize that EVENTUALLY they would start eliminating the 5% cards...so what is there really to complain about to them?

And there is little doubt in my mind that, now that these letters are going out, all Cash Plus and Rewards Plus customers will receive this letter.

Enjoy your new Freedom Card...it's the next best thing to the ol' 5% deal!

craig10x said: you had to realize that EVENTUALLY they would start eliminating the 5% cards...so what is there really to complain about to them?

And there is little doubt in my mind that, now that these letters are going out, all Cash Plus and Rewards Plus customers will receive this letter.

I think we all knew this was coming but is still disappointing to see it happen. I think I read that they get 2% fee from the merchants and probably to many of us just using this for 5% purchases and then PIF. I know between the 2 cards I was using I probably made about 2k

nomansland said: Received a letter from chase today. This card reward program is changing to chase freedom reward program. No more 5% Cash Back.

You're obviously lying. The 17th (date of your post) is a Sunday, and USPS doesn't deliver on Sundays! I'm going to call chase and complain about your fraudulent post!

j/k, thanks for the info. Too bad. I guess Freedom's 3% is the next best thing, and the Penfed card for 5% on gas.

nm

dewolfxy said: nomansland said: Received a letter from chase today. This card reward program is changing to chase freedom reward program. No more 5% Cash Back.

You're obviously lying. The 17th (date of your post) is a Sunday, and USPS doesn't deliver on Sundays! I'm going to call chase and complain about your fraudulent post!

j/k, thanks for the info. Too bad. I guess Freedom's 3% is the next best thing, and the Penfed card for 5% on gas.

Now two have posted getting the letter...and you can't assume the first poster was lying just because it was a sunday when he posted about just receiving the letter....He could have received it saturday and didn't getting around to posting about it until Sunday, or he could have been away for the weekend, and just picked up his mail on Sunday night or whatever....Or, were you just kidding? (lol)
If these letters are indeed going out, i am sure we will see more posts about it in the next couple of days...but if it is true, you didn't really think the 5% would last forever did you (lol)???

ScootyPuffSr said: Did the letter say the date it applied? Surely it wasn't immediately?

So can someone who received the letter answer this question of when the rebate % change will be effective? Thanks.

Got the letter yesterday. Now I need to figure out a gas card.

I am soooo glad I got that HSBC Direct Rewards Card in my AOR last year.

craig10x said: zenob said: just got my letter - gonna try some mega complaints.

While i can understand your disapointment at losing the 5%, i am not sure how long you have had the card, but you do realize that unlike Citi, with it's 5% dividend cash rewards, Chase was nice enough to extend the 5% privilege LONG AFTER the cards were no longer available to new applicants....

When they introduced the 3% Freedom (which still beats Citi's 2% deal....and even made better if you wait until $200 to cash out since they give a $50 bonus with it every time), you had to realize that EVENTUALLY they would start eliminating the 5% cards...so what is there really to complain about to them?

Not sure why that matters that there was a longer time between no new apps and reward cancellation. On the flip side I can say that Citi gave a longer lead time for the Dividend cancellation which gave one time to prepare.

All I can say is there were more years where the 5% Dividend was active than when the Cash Plus 5% was active. In the end that is all I care about, not the length of "grandfathering".

for those of you getting the letter, did you have a Visa or MC cash plus rewards card? reason why i'm asking is because the Freedom card is visa only, so they couldn't convert MC's to the Freedom card, i think.

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 136 37 38394041
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.